Rockport is a small city in Texas, about 45 minutes north up the Gulf of Mexico coast from Corpus Christi. It's right between Copano Bay to the west, on the coast of Aransas Bay. Aransas Bay is around 4 miles wide at this point, with the Gulf of Mexico beyond.
The primary way to enter Rockport is via Corpus Christi then Portland. Take Highway 181 to 35, in Rockport turn on Business 35. It's approximately 3.5 hours south of San Antonio. Be careful, the roads seem to be heavily patrolled by police.
Corpus Christi is the nearest commercial airport. Many of the major airlines fly into Corpus, though most flights originate in Houston or San Antonio.
Local transit seems to largely be via automobile.
Also see nearby Fulton, which has some really good restaurants.
- The Boiling Pot, 201 S Fulton Beach Rd, tel: +1 361-729-6972. Along Fulton Beach, Cajun style fresh seafood, served dumped on butchers paper on your table. Extremely good food and service. It looks pretty questionable from the outside, but that's all for appearances.
- Jalisco's, 1701 Highway 35 N, tel: +1 361-727-0555. Very good, Authentic Mexican food, lunch around $8 per person.
- Holiday Inn Express, Views of the bay, a smallish motel (not hotel like most Holiday Inn Expresses). Along the main drag in town, with a park to the south and the gulf across the street to the east. The whole hotel is covered by free Wireless Internet.
- Hunt's Castle, 725 S. Water Street, tel: +1 361-729-5002, (toll free: +1 888-345-4868), . Three story waterfront motel on Aransas Bay. Suites, kitchenettes, and cabins. $99-$150 a night, discounts for weekly/monthly stays.
- Magic Sun Tan Motel, 1805 Broadway Street, tel: +1 361-729-2179, . Bay-front motel with its own 500 foot fishing pier and swimming pool. $55-90 a night including breakfast, discounts for longer stays.
- Copano Cottages, 5481 Hwy 35 N, ☎ 361-727-2132, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 11am. Ten pet-friendly cottages ranging from 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms and includes parking for boats. $119-225 a night. edit
North of town across the bay is the Goose Island State Park, which includes a tree over a thousand years old, a huge fishing pier, and free WiFi Internet access from the Visitors Center.
WiFi is rare here. The Holiday Inn Express is one of the few places that has free WiFi. The town is well covered by Sprint CDMA.
- Fulton offers some additional attractions and lodging.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!