Rivne (Ukrainian: Рівне, Polish: Równe; Russian: Ровно) is a city in Western Ukraine. Administrative center of Rivne region, standing on the Ustye River. It is a highway and railway junction of the region.
Rivne was first mentioned in 1283 as one of the inhabited places of Halych-Volhynia.
On June 28, 1941 Rivne was captured by Nazi Germany, which later established the city as the administrative centre of Reichskommissariat Ukraine.
There are frequent minibuses from Kyiv (costing UAH 150 as of end-2015), from Lviv (UAH 140), from Lutsk (UAH 50).
The city centre is small and you can manage it all by foot.
- Church of the Assumption (1756). This Greek-Catholic church is the oldest building in Rivne. The bell tower of the church is preserved. Shevchenko Street, 113.
- The Holy Resurrection Cathedral (1890) was built at the place of the church burnt in 1881, with donations from the Emperor Alexander III. In Soviet times, the building was used as a museum of atheism. At present, the cathedral belongs to the Orthodox community of Rivne. Soborna Street, 39.
- Saint Anthony's Church (1858). Former Catholic church (Polish: Kościół pw. Narodzenia NMP i św. Antoniego) during Soviet era was assigned to the Rivne Philharmony which established an organ concert hall in it. Soborna Street, 137.
- Cathedral of the Intercession (2001). Soborna Street, 6.
- The Local History Museum (the former gymnasium), Dragomanov Street, 19, ☎ +38 (0362) 62-05-72. 10:00-18:00, day off - Monday. 3 UAH. (N50.61542,E26.24788) edit The building of the gymnasium was built on the initiative of Prince Frederick Lubomirski in 1839. Nowadays there are more than 140 thousand exhibits, including archaeological, ethnographic exhibitions, a numismatic collection, the Cossack era items and icons. In the public garden you can find an exposition of military equipment.
- The Museum of Amber, Petlura Street, 17. 10:00-18:00, days off - Monday, Wednesday. Free. The museum has unique collection of pieces of amber up to 40 million years old found in Rivne region, as well as amber jewelry. (N50.62305,E26.24888) edit
During the German occupation (1941-1944) in the building of the present Local History Museum was located the administration of Reichskommissariat Ukraine headed by Erich Koch. To the right of the building you can find his abandoned bunker. GPS coordinates: lat="N50.36548" long="E26.14496"
Western Ukraine is the part of Ukraine in which Ukrainian is indeed the strongest language in everyday life.
Young people are more likely to speak English, as it is the most widely taught foreign language in school. If you speak Polish then surviving in Rivne shouldn't be a problem, as many people understand it since it's quite close to Ukrainian.
Lviv is about 4 hours away from Rivne.