The River Region is in the Hill Country of Texas.
- Devil's Sinkhole, 830 563 2342. Largest single-chamber cavern in the state. Reservations required.
- Garner State Park, 234 R.R. 1050, in Concan, 830 232 6132. Beautiful park with cypress trees along the Frio River, great for innertubing. The park also hosts large dances at night which are a tradition since the 1930's.
- Hill Country State Natural Area near Bandera.
- Kickapoo Cavern near Brackettville, 830 563 2342. A fairly undeveloped park featuring a primitive cave, great birdwatching, and a large colony of Mexican free-tailed bats.
- Lost Maples State Natural Area, off FM 187 near Vanderpool, 830 966 3413. 11 miles of hiking in wooded canyons along the Sabinal River.
The Hill Country River Region lies between the San Antonio area and Big Bend Country in south central Texas. It is an area of lush green canyons carved into the limestone hills by the Sabinal, Leona, Frio, Dry Frio, and Nueces Rivers.
The region is most easily accessed by car from the San Antonio area.
- US 90 runs east-west across the area connecting San Antonio with Del Rio
- US 83 runs north-south through the center of the region.