Ripon  is a small historic cathedral city in Yorkshire, England.
Ripon is actually the oldest city in England. It is also the fourth smallest city in England. It has a population of about 17,000. Cities are deemed so in Britain if they have a Royal Charter, rather than based on their population as in many other countries.
Ripon is a short distance from the A1 London-Scotland arterial road, and is easily reached by the A61, part of which forms the Ripon bypass.
The closest railway stations to Ripon are located at Harrogate and Thirsk. Harrogate can be reached by a transfer at either Leeds or York railway stations.
- Harrogate & District  - to/from Leeds and Harrogate up to every 20min, no.36.
- Harrogate Coach Travel  - to/from York hourly (timetable for 142 and 143 ).
- Dales & District  - to/from Leyburn every 2hr to (timetable for 159 ) and to/from Northallerton and Thirsk (timetable for 70 ).
- Cathedral, . Parts of the present building date from 672 (the Saxon Crypt), though worship has occurred on this site since the Dark Ages. Built by St Wilfrid, it houses the Ripon Jewels amongst other things. edit
- The Watchman blowing his horn, the square. Daily 9PM. edit
- Fountains Abbey. edit
- Market. Thursday. Market Square edit
- Lockwoods, 83 North Street (Walk up North Street from the middle of town), . Coffee and cakes during the day, dinner in the evening. Recomended edit
- The One Eyed Rat, Allhallowgate (Northeast of Market Square). Excellent range of well kept real ale edit
- Unicorn Hotel, Market Place, ☎ +44 1765 602202, . edit
- Leeds - biggest city in Yorkshire.
- Ripley - village and castle between Ripon and Harrogate (bus 36 ).