Rio de la Plata is a region in Uruguay and includes the departments of Greater Montevideo, Canelones, Colonia, Rio Negro, San Jose and Soriano.
- Montevideo - capital city of Uruguay
- Colonia (Colonia del Sacramento) - old colonial city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Mercedes (Soriano) - Pinacoteca Gimenez  and Casa Puerta are art museums worth a visit in this colonial town.
- Fray Bentos (Rio Negro) - A city which used to feature one the world's most prominent meat factories. Now it houses a museum .
- San Jose
- Carmelo, Nueva Helvetia, Colonia Valdense - pastoral colonial towns near Colonia
- Vila Soriano - 18th Century colonial architecture and the first European settlement in Uruguay. A famous cemetery.
- Rosario  - a small town featuring many outdoor murals.
- Estero de Farrapos  - a national park and a protected Ramasar wetland of international significance. It is considered the best spot in Uruguay to observe wild animals. Gateway to the park is the town of Nuevo Berlin.
- Ciudad de la Costa - The second largest city in Uruguay is actually a series of small towns along the coast such as Lagomar, Solymar, and El Pinar
- Las Cañas - A very nice river beach resort near Fray Bentos with a gigantic campground.