Rio Gallegos (Río Gallegos) is a town in southern Argentina. There may not be much to see in town but it can be a base for exploring the wider area. The town serves as the provincial capital.
Santa Cruz area features by the stunning geographical points, historical spots and cultural attractions. The area is located at the most southern lands of Argentina, at Cabo Vírgenes, on the shore of Atlantic ocean. Rio Gallegos is the last area, where 20 km away starts the islands earth belonging to Argentina or Chile countries. The main materic and islands are separated by the natural passage of Magellan strait, discovered and first traversed by the Spanish expedition headed by Ferdinand Magellan in 1520. The Strait of Magellan has been inhabited by indigenous South Americans for the thousands of years.
Rio Gallegos is the spot, where the highway to somebody takes start or finish from the far north to the southernmost tip of Argentina or vice versa and goes 5224 kilometer route through 11 provinces, 20 national parks, crosses 18 major rivers, 27 passes of the Andes mountains. There from El Calafate towards Rio Gallegos it changes the direction by the huge bend towards the Atlantic Ocean.
- Rio Gallegos International Airport (Civil Pilot Norberto Fernández International Airport), RN3 N° 3 Km 8, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz (8 km from Río Gallegos), ☎ +54 296 644 2340, . Rio Gallegos Airport IATA Code: RGL edit
The nearest airport is Punta Arenas located in Chile (187km).
Patagonia2000 has cheap connections to Rio Grande and in high-season to Ushuaia. Ask around in one of the tour agents in the town.
- The optimal bus search is on the website.
- The Rio Gallegos bus terminal is located at about 3 kilometers from the center. There are bus connections to Rio Grande and Ushuaia.
- Coast road at Atlantic Ocean (Av. Costanera Almte Brown) is more than 1000 meters long.
- Kirchner Mausoleum is placed into the local cemetery, you can visit the rest of the ex-president Nestor Carlos Kirchner.
- Museo de Arte "Eduardo Minnicelli". Small art museum with free admission, displaying exhibits from the larger museums and paintings of Santa Cruz artists.
- Museo Provincial Padre Jesús Molina. It displays the natural history of the area.
- Pioneer Museum. The city's oldest standing house furnished with items from the late 19th and early 20th century. Admission is free. Open daily 10:00-19:30.
- Plaza San Martin. Space is surrounded by the poplars and by nice blooming jacaranda trees.
- Boat tour, . Tour of the Ría Gallegos on a semi-rigid glass-bottom boat. edit
- Fishing, Las Buitreras Fishing Lodge, RN40, Perito Moreno, Santa Cruz, . Also, it is possibility to try fishing with Truchaike Lodge on the North bank of the Gallegos River over an area of 18 km, which belongs to the Estancia. Enjoy outdoor picnics and fishing in the Gallegos Coyle and Chico Sur rivers. edit
- Flights, Aeroclub de Río Gallegos Ruta 3, km 2252, 9400 Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz. Tourist favorite attraction over the famous Strait of Magellan, the Patagonian steppe and the impressive volcano area. edit
- Trekking. Visitors can walk through the vast open plains located there, watching the wildlife. The land is classified as desert steppe, what means it is mostly dry and only of a few types of shrub and grass growing there. The estancias are privately owned, but all have main roads passing them, which are open to drive through. edit
- Visit estancias, . Río Gallegos area main export is wool. There are thousands of sheep, that are enclosed in the separate estancias (ranches). Estancia Monte Dinero shows visitors the rural lifestyle of a sheep farm. edit
- Events in Río Gallegos, . edit
- Río Gallegos tatoos (Convención de tatuajes), . The event is held every year in May. edit
- Las Delicias de la Abuela, Errazuriz 26, Z9400 Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz (close to main plaza San Martin), ☎ +54 296 642-9996, . Open 08:00-22:00. Cosy restaurant great for having a good breakfast with more choice than coffee and croissants. Very good coffee as well. Service is good, reasonable prices. They also serve lunch, other than that they serve sandwiches, salads, pizza, lovely cakes. Restaurant functions also as a shop with craft beers, special spices, Argentinian gins and other stuff. edit
- Mostaza, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, . Fast food restaurant. edit
- Puerto Macá Restaurant, Av. Costanera Almte Brown 2035, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 634 6787, . Gastropub edit
- Quincho El Viejo Molino, Juan Manuel de Rosas, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 631 5936. Restaurant edit
- Rotiseria y Panadería Fra Noi, Perito Moreno 189, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 642 5578. Meal delivery edit
- Los Vascos, Santiago del Estero 1-75, Z9400GJA Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 642 3207. Bar edit
- Pueblo Chico Show Bar, Av. Parque Industrial 623, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 640 1056. Live music bar edit
- Agritourism, . It is a chance for a farmstay very popular along the Ruta 40 combined with the different sorts of activities. edit
- Alquileres por día Río Gallegos, Francisco Ramírez 1209-1153, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 469 6819. Accommodation edit
- Cabañas Yucami, Juan Manuel Belgrano, Z9400 Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 641 3936. Hostel edit
- Club Public Service Company of the State, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 650 9095. Campground edit
- Liporaci, Av. Lisandro de la Torre 255, Z9400 Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 642 1937. Hotel edit
- Oviedo, Libertad 746, Z9400BEP Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 642 0118 ([email protected]), . Hotel edit
- Centro De Informacion Turistica, Av. Tte. Carlos Béccar 126, Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, ☎ +54 296 642 9764 ([email protected]), . edit
- Deseada Island. It is situated on the Gallegos river estuary zone.
- Laguna Azul is a lagoon that has formed in the non active volcano crater and located in Chile teritory. The lagoon is surrounded by the volcanic rocks with the many different minerals having the different colors look very special in sunny days.
- Magellanic penguins, who lives there and nest from September to March at this area.
- Perito Moreno glacier is the only glacier in the world that is still advancing, and is 4 hours or so to the west, close to the village of El Calafate. It is a treat to see chunks of ice the size of a ten-story building falling into the blue depths of Lake Brazo Norte.