Richland is a city in the Columbia River Plateau. Together with Pasco and Kennewick they form the Tri-Cities area of Washington.
The city is home to the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, a large national research lab. Immediately beyond the lab is the beginning of the Hanford nuclear site, where the ongoing remediation is the single largest construction project in the country.
By car, Richland's central business district is immediately off of Interstate 182 at Exit 5, George Washington Way. The Tri-Cities are close to each other but a long way from anyone else: expect at least a 75 minute drive from Yakima (via I-82/182), 3.5 hours from Seattle (via I-90 & I-82/182).
The Tri-Cities region is served by Greyhound  with the transit center being located in the city of Pasco. Everett Bus Center, 535 N 1st Avenue, Pasco, WA 99301.
Tri-Cities Airport (IATA: PSC) is located in Pasco, roughly 10 miles east of Richland. There are daily flights to and from Seattle/Tacoma, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Minneapolis/St.Paul.
- Ben Frankling Transit operates local bus routes in & around Richland (Rt #23-27 out of the Knight St Transit Center), Pasco(Rt#60-67 from the 22nd Ave Transit Center), Kennewick (Rt#41-50 out of the Three Rivers Transit Center), Prosser (Rt#170) and the greater Tri-Cities area (Rt#110,120,160,225,880). They also contract with local taxi companies to provide the "feeder taxi" route from a specific bus stop to areas not served by a fixed route bus (kind of like a shared ride taxi) and on demand door to door shuttle service.
- Bateman Island Wildlife Area
- Chamna Nature Preserve
- Columbia River Exhibition of History, Science and Technology
- Three Rivers Arts and Entertainment District
- Tri-Cities Raceway
- Hanford Reach National Monument, ☎ +1-(509) 371-1801 ([email protected]), . Most areas open from 2 hours before sunrise to 2 hours after sunset. The monumental Hanford nuclear fuel production site lies to the northwest of Richland, and strict security means that the land surrounding it was not developed — and became a surprising wildlife preserve. A National Monument since 2000, Hanford Reach covers thousands of acres in a giant U-shape along the Columbia River. edit
- Saddle Mountain B.L.M. Recreation Lands, . A large outcrop in the plains. Popular as a hang-gliding spot. A wildlife refuge since 1953, it became part of the Hanford Reach National Monument in 2000. edit
- Hanford Site Tours, 2000 Logston Boulevard, ☎ (509) 376-2151, . Five-hour tours of the Hanford Nuclear Site with stops at the historic B Reactor, the Environmental Restoration Disposal Facility, the Waste Treatment Plant construction zone. April through September only, and always on weekdays. Reservations required on a first come-first serve basis — registration for the year's tours opens in early March, and often fills in less than a day. Cancellations will open up a few slots, particularly later in the season, but you'll need luck to catch them when they happen: no waiting list. This tour is only open to U.S. citizens. Free. edit
- Manhattan Project B Reactor Tours, ☎ (509) 373-2774, . Shorter tours visit only the B Reactor, the world's first large-scale nuclear reactor. Like the site tours, advance reservations are necessary; 50 tour dates per year between April and September, including most weekends. Groups will get about two hours on site, plus 45 minutes each way on a chartered bus to reach the isolated facility. Unlike the full site tours, there is no citizenship requirement, but photo ID is mandatory. Free. edit
Apollo Authentic Greek Restaurant, 620 Cullum Ave. (Located by Lee Blvd.), ☎ 509-943-9841. Apollo offers a wide variety of fine Greek cuisine. Take-out is available. edit
- Spudnuts Donut Shop 228 Williams Boulevard Uptown Plaza 
Richland doesn't have a large supply of hotels, and many of its travelers are on business at the Lab. As a result, hotels can unexpectedly book out at any time of the year. Kennewick's hotels are generally quite convenient to Richland as well, Pasco somewhat less so.
- Courtyard Richland Columbia Point, 480 Columbia Point Drive, ☎ +1 509 942-9400 (fax: +1 509 942-9401), . edit
- Hampton Inn, 486 Bradley Blvd., ☎ +1 509-943-4400, . The budget end of the Hilton empire, it's a classic business hotel: nothing fancy, but the facilities are well maintained and the staff helpful. edit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1970 Center Parkway, ☎ +1 509 737-8000, . edit
- Red Lion - Hanford House, 802 George Washington Way, ☎ +1 509-946-7611, . The building is passing through dated and wrapping all the way back around to retro - don't overlook the long curving hallway, or the pickled wood ceilings on the upper floor. Otherwise, a standard midrange hotel. Rates are on the high side for what you get. edit