Reston Town Center at night
Reston is in Virginia, United States of America) and is located 20 miles west of Washington DC. The current population of Reston is approximately 60,000 people.
Founded in 1964 by Robert E. Simon (RESton), Reston was the first modern planned community in the United States. Simon purchased a 6,750 acre tract using the proceeds from the sale of Carnegie Hall, which was owned by his family. Reston includes several planned urban developments, including Lake Anne Plaza, Reston Town Center, and Reston Station. The city is home to offices of many high tech companies, such as AOL, Microsoft, Accenture, and the US Geological Survey.
WMATA, which operates the DC Metrorail, operates service to Reston. For more information on riding the Metrorail, see Washington DC#Get_In
Reston is a 10 minute drive from Dulles International Airport. A taxi from the airport costs roughly $18 and most hotels in Reston offer free shuttle service to the airport.
Reston is accessible from the Fairfax County Parkway, the Reston Parkway (West Ox Road in Fairfax County), the Leesburg Pike (Rte 7), and the Dulles Toll Road (Rte 267).
Reston Paths is an extensive bike/walking path system.
Roads in Reston tend to be very winding and may require the use of a GPS.
- Reston Zoo, 1228 Hunter Mill Rd, ☎ (703) 757-6222, . March 11-November 26. The Reston Zoo features several animals such as zebras, monkeys, and camels. It features a petting barn, exhibits, pony rides and wagon rides around the park. Admission is $12 for adults and $9 for children. The zoo is closed for the winter from November 28th to March 10th. Adults: $12, Seniors: $11, Children: $9. edit
- Lake Fairfax Park & The Water Mine Family Swimmin' Hole, . Includes a water park with slides, etc... edit
- Baron Cameron Park, 11300 Baron Cameron Ave, . edit
- Ice Skating at Reston Town Center Pavillion, 1818 Discovery Street, ☎ 703.709.6300, . seasonally from early November until March. Adults: $10; Children: $8. edit
- Reston National Golf Course, . Designed by Ed Ault. edit
- Greater Reston Arts Center, . Exhibits, classes, and seminars for all ages. edit
Festivals and events
- Summer Concerts at Reston Town Center on the weekends at the pavilion. Bring a lawn chair or sit at a nearby restaurant, such as Clyde's or Paolo's.
- Reston Town Center, . includes many shops such as Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, Nine West, South Moon Under, J. Crew, Victoria's Secret, Apple Store, Anthropologie. edit
- The Spectrum Center, . includes many shops such as Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Men's Warehouse, PetSmart, and Harris Teeter edit
- Plaza America, . has several shops including Michael's Arts and Crafts, Ann Taylor Loft, CVS Pharmacy, Modell's, and Whole Foods Market edit
- Hunters Woods Village Center, . edit
- Reston Market, (In Lake Anne Village Center), . Saturdays 9AM to 2PM May to the first Sat. in December. Local arts and crafts. edit
Many chain restaurants have locations in Reston. While Reston has some unique dining options, the more ethnic and budget restaurants can be found in neighboring Herndon..
- Big Bowl - Asian Fusion, 11915 Democracy Drive (In Reston Town Center), ☎ 703-787-8852, . edit
- Paolo's Ristorante, 11898 Market Street (In Reston Town Center), ☎ 703-318-8920, . edit
- Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Café, 1827 Library Street (In Reston Town Center), . edit
- Obi Sushi, 1771 Library Street (In Reston Town Center), ☎ (703) 766-7874, . edit
- PassionFish Seafood, 11960 Democracy Drive (In Reston Town Center), ☎ 703-230-3474, . edit
- Il Fornaio Cucina Italiana, 11990 Market Street, Suite 106 (In Reston Town Center), ☎ 703-437-5544, . edit
- American Tap Room, 1811 Library St (In Reston Town Center), ☎ (703) 834-0400, . edit
- Jackson's Mighty Fine Food & Lucky Lounge, 11927 Democracy Dr (In Reston Town Center), ☎ (703) 437-0800, . American food with a happening bar scene edit
- The Tasting Room Wine Bar & Shop, 1816 Library St (In Reston Town Center), ☎ (703) 435-3553, . Sample Boxwood Estate Wines with appetizers edit
- Kalypso's Sport Tavern, 1617 Washington Plaza (In Lake Anne Plaza), ☎ (703) 707-0660, . edit
- Lake Anne Coffee House, 1612 Washington Plaza West (In Lake Anne Plaza), . edit
- Cafe Montmartre, 1625 Washington Plaza (In Lake Anne Plaza), . edit
Several hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the airport, including:
- Comfort Inn, 200 Elden Street, ☎ (703) 437-7555, . edit
- Hyatt Reston, 1800 Presidents Street, ☎ (703) 709-1234, . edit
- Sheraton Reston Hotel, 11810 Sunrise Valley Drive, ☎ (703) 620-9000, . edit
- Westin Reston Heights, 11750 Sunrise Valley Drive, ☎ (703) 391-9000, . edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!