Ratnagiri is city as well as district place in Konkan Region of Maharashtra.
Map of Ratnagiri District
You can get in by train (Konkan Railway) or by bus (on Mumbai Goa Highway. Konkan Railways is one of the best railway tracks laid in India. It's a engineering masterpiece with very long tunnels and huge bridges. You will experience beautiful landscapes along the way.
Its 6-7 hrs journey in train from Mumbai to Ratnagiri.Ratnagiri comes in midway if one is traveliing from Mumbai to Goa.
Travelling by Bus ( A/c & Non A/c ) is also equally comfortable. Most of the Buses leave around late evening around 7PM and reach ratnagiri early morning at 6AM.
But if one is going in a group with friends and that to during Monsoon Season, Taking a morning train and travelling trough Konkan Railways is highly recommended.
Most of the trains running through the Konkan railway (KR) stop at Ratnagiri. You will get public transoprt bus or autos from railway station, which is little away from the town.
Vare Beach near Ratnagiri
- Tilak Birth Place: The great freedom fighter Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak's Birth place.
- Ganapatipule - is a clean seashore and Ganpati temple situated at about 30 km North from Ratnagiri. This temple is reconstructed in Rajasthani stones and look.
- Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak Smarak - is the monument and the home of a man who set off the 'Swadeshi Movement' and spearheaded the fight against the British Raj
- Patit Pawan Mandir- The temple built by Swatantryaveer Savarkar for patit class of people.
- Thebaw Palace- Burma King Thebaw was imprisoned here. The palace is built in Pagoda style. Govt. had given some of the part of this palace for Polytechnic college.
- Bhatyachi Khadi- Khadi is area where river meets to sea. The village near this place is Bhatye, so known as Bhatyachi Khadi. The place is beautiful with a view of river & sea both. There is good casuarin cultivation on the sea shore. Also there is regional research centre for coconut & spices just near the casuarina plantation.
- Ratnadurga Fort- A fort covered by sea on 3 sides. A temple of Godess Bhagwati is located on the fort.
- Bhagvati Bunder- An old harbour which is not in use as harbour. But good place to visit as beach of white sand.Another beach having black sand is called as Mandvi bunder.
- Mirya Bunder-
- Mangoes- Alphanso Mangoes of Ratnagiri city are famous & available in month of March to June in local or streetside markets. Mango juice(pulp)is a seasonal sweet dish found during these days in Hotels.
- Cashews- Ratnagiri is equally famous for cashews. Cashew curry prepared from tender cashew kernels is available in February - March or afterwards in many hotels.
- Amboli- A pancake like food available in old hotels like Bhide upahargruha. Its available & eaten only for breakfast.
- Sandan: Cake prepared from Jackfruit juice is available during months of March to June. Its available in selected restaurents.
- Beautifull Beaches. Ratnagiri is a place where you can find lots of beaches. You have to go maximum 20-30 kms and you will find a excellent beach is waiting for you. edit
- Kokam Sarbat - cool kokam juice
- Amba Panha - raw mango drink
- Shahalyache Paani - tender coconut water
- Fish. The Sea Fish no one can miss. The type of cooking fishes in Konkan is totally different and thus must be tried. edit
- Best Western Blue Ocean Resort & Spa, S No 127 Malgund, Ratnagiri, India 415612, Ph: +91 2357 235388 
The Best Western Blue Ocean Resort and Spa is an oasis of relaxation located in Konkan-Ganpatipule-home of one of the most spectacular beaches along the Konkan court. With a spectacular, sun-kissed, white-sand beach with beautiful clear water hitting the shore, our hotel is unique with elements of glamour, beautiful landscaping, and tropical gardening. Even as you walk along the coastline, you will find beautiful flora and fauna, including coconut palms. We take pride in being an ecotel, as we follow environmentally-friendly practices. If you are a culinary enthusiast, enjoy the delicious seafood and fruits which are a specialty of our coastal resort. Be our guest and discover the charm of a blissful coastal life.
- Kohinoor Samudra Beach Resort, Bhatye, Ratnagiri - Pawas coastal Highway, Ratnagiri - 415612, Maharashtra, India, ☎ +91-22- 2387 0880 / +91-22- 6618 1900, . Housing all the top amenities you have ever longed for, it doesn't even leave a tinge of question on your mind that you surely are a very special person. You can choose from a wide range of 4 bungalows with 3 bedroom, a spacious hall with veranda and the 8 exotic Royal Suites with 2 deluxe bedrooms and a spacious hall with sitouts / terraces. The rooms designed are such that they mingle with your mood and taste. Relish the panoramic sea view that you can get from each and every room. edit
- Hotel Prasad is a safe place in the center of the city.
Hotel Prabha is best place in Ratnagiri to stay. It has a restaurant also. Good rooms and good service.
Its really wonderful to stay there.