Rapperswil is a city that borders Northeastern Switzerland & Central Switzerland and lays direct at the end of Lake Zurich and Obersee. Rapperswil merged lately with the city of Jona and is a picturesque town and popular destination for hikers, bikers and families at the weekend in the vincinity of Zurich.
Rapperswil is served by the Zürich S-Bahn, with the S5, S7 and S15 lines offering 2 trains/hour each, taking 35-40 minutes (S7 is somewhat slow but runs along the lake and is much more scenic. All connections are listed on the ZVV website . There are trains to Rapperswil from Lucerne and Romanshorn.
A very scenic way of travelling to Rapperswil is with the steamship boats of the Lake Zurich navigation company . The ships don't travel in the winter.
Rapperswil is a very compact city and can easily assessed by foot or bicycle. The tourist center rents out electric bikes. There is a public bus system if you want to go a bit further.
- St. John's Church. built around 1253. rebuilt after a fire in 1882. edit
- Rose Gardens. 15,000 plants of 600 different kinds may be viewed between June and October. edit
- Rapperswil Castle. built around 1220. home to the Polish National Museum. edit
- Reconstructed Wooden Bridge. across the lake to Hurden with bridge chapel Heilig Hüsli. edit
- Medieval Old Town. with many restaurants, cafés and boutiques edit
- Harbour Front. take a boat trip on the lake (to Zurich or round trip). Rent a boat. edit
- Watch a game of the ice hockey team
- Walk across the Seedamm to the other side of lake to Pfäffikon
- Take the train Voralpen-Express from Rapperswil to Arth-Goldau if you like very scenic train rides
- Alpamare, . across the Seedamm the Alpamare is located - a large water entertainment park for the whole family. edit
- Jona Bowling, Feldlistrasse 9, 8645 Jona, . a nearby bowling center edit
- Boat trip, . take a boat trip on the lake of Zurich edit
- Zoo, . Knie's Kinderzoo (Circus Knie's Children's Zoo) is not only for children and very the center of town (walking distance with kids from the center). Open from March to October. edit
- Bier Factory, Schönbodenstrasse 3 (10 mins walk from the train), ☎ (0)41 055 210 96 22, . Rapperswil's only microbrewery! Take a tour of the brewery. Stop in for drinks. Groups can schedule a day of brewing. More info on the website. Open Wed/Fri 5:30p-8p, Sat 2-8p. edit
There are many boutiques in the old-town and many clothing shops in Rapperswil.
There are many nice restaurants by the lake-side and in the old-town. You will find Swiss food, Spanish, Indian, Italian, Thai and Chinese restaurants, kebap shops and McDonald's.
- Manolos, Rathausstrasse 2, ☎ 055 214 22 22, . until midnight. Spanish restaurant & bar with moderate prices. edit
- Dieci, Fischmarktplatz 1, . By the lake this pizzeria serves delicious food. Often full and the waiters are sometimes a bit arrogant. Has a high chair and coloring sheets for the kids. edit
- Thai Orchid, Engelplatz 4, . Good and expensive. edit
- Jakob's, Hauptplatz 11, . Famous for it's delicious beefsteak-tartar edit
- Johanna, Johannisbergstrasse 2 (Jona), . familiar atmosphere, fondue a discretion, good swiss food, moderate prices edit
- mojo bar & lounge, Untere Bahnhofstrasse 5, . Small, modern, trendy cocktail-bar and lounge near the train station. edit
- bottéga club & lounge, Neue Jonastrasse 72, . Nicely designed club/lounge to relax. edit
- La Corona, Kluggasse 1, . until 7pm. Small bar in the center of the old-town of Rapperswil. edit
- Starbucks, Schmiedgasse 30, ☎ 055 210 36 45. on the main road very near the center of town edit
- Nelson Pub, Bahnhofplatz 1. across the road from the train station. edit
- Sonderbar, Seedammstrasse 45 (Hurden SZ), . the only bar on the damm to pfäffikon, delicious cocktails, friendly staff edit
- Bed & Breakfast Rapperswil, Untere Bahnhofstrasse 18 (Near old-town and lake, 2 minutes walk from the train station), ☎ +41 78 824 51 92 ([email protected]), . Nice room with view to mountains. Free WiFi. Very near old-town, train station and lake. Help-yourself breakfast (but many cafés in near walking distance). 6 direct trains per hour to Zurich (36 mins travel time). Double room 59 chf per person. (47.22574706497569,8.819124698638916) edit
- Bed & Breakfast sea view, Lenggisrain 5, 8645 Jona (30 minutes walk from the town), ☎ +41 55 210 60 66 ([email protected]). View to the lake. A bit in the outskirts of town - you can reach town by public bus or 30 minutes walk. Double room 57 chf per person. edit
- Bed & Breakfast oasee, Staffeln 14, 8715 Bollingen (On the main road Rapperswil-Jona to Schmerikon), ☎ +41 55 212 65 45, . Comfortable rooms, nice view of Lake Zurich. Lakeside path for walking and biking. Double room 55-60 chf per person. edit
- Zurich is about 20-25 minutes away
- direct trains to Zurich main station every 10-15 minutes. Trains take around 38 minutes.