Ranau is located in Sabah
, Malaysian Borneo
Ranau is associated with the infamous and tragic Death Marches which occurred at the end of WWII in 1945. Over 2500 Australian and British POWs died at Sandakan and on forced death marches to Ranau .
Ranau is accessible by road and is approximately 2 hours by car from Kota Kinabalu passing by Kinabalu National Park.
- Kundasang War Memorial is a short distance (10 mins) from Ranau.
- Ranau War Memorial is located down a driveway on the main road - note that it is not well signposted and easy to miss.
Visit the Last Camp, a cairn erected at the end of the Sandakan-Ranau death marches. 5km from Ranau town.
There is also a beautiful garden memorial on a hill next to Kundasang market, about 15 minutes from Ranau.
- Mesilau Park is on the slopes of Mount Kinabalu, accessible by a tarred road from Kundasang. They conduct guided 40-minute walks through a protected area which abounds with pitcher plants and orchids at 7am and 11am, and sometimes in the afternoon too. The morning walk is best for seeing wildlife. It is also possible to climb the initial section of the route up Mount Kinabalu, or to walk the whole way to the summit along an alternative route to that taken from the Park HQ. At 2,000m, it is a very cool, temperate climate with a lovely landscape, and quite different flora and fauna to the lower regions of Mount Kinabalu. There is a very nice (albeit slightly expensive) cafe with good views (coffee Rm11, lunch Rm15+), and it's possible to see lots of birdlife from your table. Rm15 conservation fee is charged at the entrance for foreigners (Rm3 for Malaysians). Accommodation is available from Sutera  (Rm135 - Rm2600 per room/lodge per night - 2-6 people)
- Camping bring your own gears and pitch it for rm10/nite, complete facilities like toilet, wifi, swimming pool, security, cctv, restaurant, cooking stove, etc...This hidden place never been discovered by any traveller until I found it during my paramotor flight. According to local legend, the japanese army officer stayed here during world war II..for more detail wazzap me @ +60172936717 Capt Aziz
- Lohan Tandem Paragliding & Paramotor* Come and fly with us at Lohan paragliding park, 5 minutes drive from Ranau town, backpackers accomodation available @ USD10/pax...spectacular view of majestic mount kinabalu, cool climate, fresh air, friendly local!!! for more info plz whatsap +60172936717, price start from rm100/flight(paragliding), rm 250/flight(paramotor)
- Sabah Tea Garden  is accessible by bus from ranau. It offers light refreshments and meals overlooking the valley and mountain. Tours of the tea factory and gardens are offered. There is accommodation available in longhouse-style facilities. Although the tea is marketed as organic, realistically it is a very small section that is organic, and as it is grown alongside non-organic plants, cannot really be considered to be truly organic. It is a decent black tea, however, and you can buy it everywhere in Sabah. There is a small gift shop attached to the cafe. There is a small memorial to British and Australian troops who died on the Sandakan Death Marches next to the cafe.
- Sungai Moroli Fish Spa is located next to the Tea Garden. It is a community venture, in which you walk into a river armed with fish food, and allow some very big fish to nibble at your toes for 15 minutes. Not as relaxing as a posh fish spa in Europe, but interesting, nonetheless. Not for the faint-hearted or thin-skinned!
Reasonably fast internet is available in the township of Ranau.
Rojak Pak Ali - Kg Lohan, Jalan Poring
This rojak are so delicious! Only rm6/plate, chicken + beef + egg + noodle
Alcohol i.e. beer is available at restaurants but may not be written on the menu.
An assortment of accommodation options exist between Mount Kinabalu Park turn off and the township of Ranau, mostly situated on the main road.
Slagon Homestay  is a family-owned B&B, set in a beautiful garden in a village near Ranau. Transfers available from Ranau town.
- J Residence, Along KK - Kundasang main road. (300 meters from Mount Kinabalu National Park), ☎ +60 12 869 6969 ([email protected]), . Just 300 metres away from the entrance of Kinabalu Park Headquarters, J Residence is the nearest lodge outside Mount Kinabalu National Park, and with rooms price three times lower than those chalets and lodges inside Kinabalu Park. J Residence is suitable for travellers who need budget, simply basic, close to nature accommodation and peace & quiet around Kinabalu Park Headquarters. From RM88 per Room. (6.004764,116.539147) edit
AMY Homestay - Jalan Lohan ulu, Kampung Lohan, Ranau, Sabah (0172936717)
Room - rm70 to rm90 per nite, very closed to poring hot spring, ranau sport complex
- Country Home Lodge, (Across the street from the fruit market). Just across the street from the market you'll see a small sign for the Country Home Lodge. Head up the stairs and you'll find a sparse but clean lobby with a laid back and friendly staff who mostly watch t.v. You can get a room with twin beds and private bathroom for 60 RM per night. Excellent Wi-fi. ranges from 40 RM to 60 RM. edit