Radom  is a city in Poland.
Located just 100 km south from Warsaw, with 220 000 inhabitants Radom is a mid-sized city. Once a major centre of industry, it has undergone dramatic changes in the last 20 years, with many factories being closed down. This has brought many social problems such as high unemployment, even relative to other Polish cities. This has resulted in Radom being one of the most inexpensive cities in the whole country, offering very low prices in the services sector.
In Radom there are two airports. The airport in Sadków  (IATA: RDO, ICAO: EPRA), with domestic and international flights, and the general aviation airport in Piastów  (ICAO: EPRP).
You can also consider using Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport  (IATA: WAW, ICAO: EPWA) located in the area of Okęcie in Włochy, some 10 km south of the center of Warsaw and 95 km north of Radom. It takes about 1 hour by car to get to Radom from there.
Numerous trains throughout the day link Radom with other cities in Poland. For more distant connections, change at one of Warsaw's stations may be needed. The main station in Radom is located at Prażmowskiego Street, and usually referred to simply as Dworzec PKP by the locals. The station is located south of the city centre and is within a walking distance from the Żeromskiego Street. Public transportation links are very convenient, as many bus lines stop around there; the bus station with connections to other cities is located very close too.
Here are the travel times to some major cities that have a direct train connection with Radom:
The main bus station (Dworzec PKS in Polish) for long-distance connections is located at Prażmowskiego Street, just next to the Main Post Office (Poczta Główna) and the train station (Dworzec PKP). A number of buses also stop at bus stops in the proximity of the train station.
To get information about buses and prices, you can contact the station at (+48) 48 363 54 54. For domestic departure times, consult the following website: .
Many tourists from western Europe visit Radom using minibus. Comfort Bus is often used for this purpose, offering a high standard of services and low ticket prices.
You can easily reach Radom by car:
- from Warsaw, Gdańsk, Kielce and Kraków, by national road 7 , E77 : Gdańsk – Warsaw – Radom – Kielce – Kraków – Chyżne
- from Rzeszów, by national road 9, E371 : Radom – Rzeszów – Barwinek
- from Lublin and Łódź, by national road 12: Piotrków Trybunalski – Radom – Lublin – Dorohusk
There is a paid-parking zone in the centre of the city. This applies Mon-Fri 08:00-16:00. Parking costs 0.12 zł for every 3 minutes, with the minimum payment of 0.60 zł for the first 15 minutes. You can pay with coins using the parking meter or with your mobile phone (more details on the parking meter).
For the information on the coverage of the paid-parking zone, consult the city's website .
Radom is covered by a public transport network of 24 bus lines, numbered from 1 to 26. The full list of these routes can be found here  (in Polish).
Currently there are two carriers in Radom operating the public buses, but the tickets are issued and controlled by one authority, Miejski Zarząd Dróg i Komunikacji (MZDiK). There is a number of different tickets, but as a visitor you probably don't need to trouble yourself with most of them. All you should know is that a single ticket costs 3.00 zł, and there is a 50% reduction for children from the age of 4 till the end of education (includes university students), so the ticket costs 1.50 zł (in Polish: bilet ulgowy). Children until the age of 4 and seniors above the age of 70 travel for free. Be aware that you need to carry a document confirming your eligibility to the reduced fare. Single ticket is valid for the whole journey on the particular bus line. There is no time limit, but once you get off the bus, the ticket loses its validity. Make sure to validate the ticket in one of the validators by the door immediately after boarding.
Tickets can be purchased in any kiosk or a shop that has the sign bilety. Tickets can be also bought from the driver on-board, subject to availability, but an additional surcharge applies. A full fare ticket bought from the driver costs 4.00 zł, and the reduced fare is 2.50 zł.
You can check the time table of the buses on this website  (in Polish).
Museums and galleries
- Academic Art Gallery "Rogatka" (Akademicka Galeria Sztuki "Rogatka"), Corner of Malczewskiego and Kelles-Krauza streets,  (Polish). Gallery of the Faculty of Arts of the Technical University of Radom. It is located in a 19th century toll-house building, where the entry to the city used to be.
- Jacek Malczewski Museum, Rynek 11, Phone: (+48) 48 362 43 29, ([email protected]),  (Polish).
- Mazowieckie Centrum Sztuki Współczesnej 'ELEKTROWNIA', ul. ul. Kopernika 1, Phone: (+48) 48 383 60 77,  (Polish). Centre for contemporary art.
- Muzeum Sztuki Współczesnej, Rynek 4/5, Phone: (+48) 48 362 25 50, ([email protected]). Museum of contemporary arts. Established in 1990, it is the first contemporary arts dedicated museum in Poland. Boasts a collection of over 3,500 exhibits.
- Muzeum Wsi Radomskiej, ul. Szydłowiecka 30, Phone: (+48) 48 332 92 81,  (Polish). Open-air museum of the Radom region country side. Great place for a weekend visit. Try to get there during one of the numerous events they organize.
- Borki Reservoir (Zalew na Borkach)
- Kościuszko Park (Park Kościuszki), Contained by the following streets: Mickiewicza, Sienkiewicza, Słowackiego, Żeromskiego, 25 Czerwca.
- Old Garden (Stary Ogród), ul. Mireckiego. Established in 1820, it is the first public park in Radom.
- Bernardine Monastery (Kościół Bernardynów), ul. Żeromskiego 6, Phone: (+48) 48 362 72 15, (rado[email protected]),  (Polish). One of the most unique sights in Radom. Founded in 1468, it is one of the oldest Bernardine monasteries in the world.
- Holy Family Church (Kościół pw. Świętej Rodziny), ul. Kelles-Krauza 19, Phone: (+48) 48 360 05 62, ([email protected]),  (Polish). Neo-gothic church build in 1905.
- Holy Trinity Church (Kościół Świętej Trójcy), pl. Kazimierza Wielkiego. Baroque church founded in 1678. Build by the famous architect Tylman van Gameren.
- Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral (Katedra Opieki Najświętszej Maryi Panny, or Kościół Mariacki), ul. Sienkiewicza 13, Phone: (+48) 48 362 76 67, ([email protected]),  (Polish). Radom Cathedral, build between 1898 and 1918.
- Lutheran Church (Kościół Ewangelicko-Augsburski), ul. Reja 6, Phone: (+48) 48 362 73 35, ([email protected]),  (Polish).
- St. John the Baptist Church (Kościół Farny), ul. Rwańska 6, Phone: (+48) 48 362 38 06, ([email protected]),  (Polish). One of the oldest churches in Radom, originally founded in 1360 by the king Casimir the Great. Be sure to see the 17th century chapel founded by Jan Kochanowski.
- St. Stanislaus Garrison Church (Kościół Garnizonowy św. Stanisława), Plac Konstytucji 3 Maja 1, Phone: (+48) 48 362 72 39. Originally built in 1902 as an Eastern Orthodox Church, now serves as Roman-Catholic military church.
- St. Wenceslaus Church (Kościół św. Wacława), ul. Plac Stare Miasto 13, Phone: (+48) 48 362 68 51, ([email protected]),  (Polish). The oldest remaining building in the city, most likely build in 1216.
- Jewish Cementery, ul. Towarowa. Built in 1831.
- Moniuszki Street
- Piłsudskiego Street
- Rwańska Street
- Żeromskiego Street
- Third of May Constitution Square (Plac Konstytucji 3 Maja)
- Market Square (Rynek)
Tenement Houses and Other Buildings
- City Public Library (Miejska Biblioteka Publiczna), ul. Piłsudskiego 12. - Library located in a neo-renaissance villa build in 1892.
- Glogier Family House (Kamienica Glogierów), ul. Sienkiewicza 12. Built in 1914.
- Resursa Obywatelska, ul. Malczewskiego 16.
- Trzebiński Printing Shop (Drukarnia Trzebińskiego), ul. Żeromskiego 28 (enter through the archway into the backyard)
- White Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Białym Orłem), ul. Żeromskiego 5.
Concerts and performances
- Radomska Orkiestra Kameralna, ul. Żeromskiego 53, ☎ (+48) 48 3620444, . Go to a performance by city's renowned chamber orchestra. edit
- Teatr Powszechny im. Jana Kochanowskiego (Jan Kochanowski Popular Theatre of Radom), Plac Jagielloński 15, ☎ (+48) 48 384 53 06, . See a theatre play in the Jan Kochanowski Popular Theatre of Radom. edit
Festivals and events
- Dni Radomia (Radom Days), . The city's annual festivity, taking place around the middle of June. Expect a large number of concerts, performances, exhibitions, and others. edit
- International Gombrowicz Festival, Teatr Powszechny im. Jana Kochanowskiego, Plac Jagielloński 15, ☎ (+48) 48 384 53 06, . A major theatre festival in Poland, combining theatre, science, criticism, arts, music, and film. It is organized biannually since 1993. edit
- Kaziki (Saint Casimir the Jagiellon days), . Celebration of the city's patron, Saint Casimir the Jagiellon, taking place in March. In 2011, it is celebrated from the 4th until the 6th of March. There are religious celebrations, sports and cultural events, as well as concerts. edit
- Międzynarodowy Festiwal Muzyki Dawnej im. Mikołaja z Radomia (Nicolaus of Radom International Festival of Early Music), . Annual festival of early music; takes place in October. edit
- Radom Air Show, Sadków Airport, ☎ (+48) 22 6825040, . A biannual air show with the next festival scheduled for 27th and 28th of August 2011. It is the biggest such event in Poland, attracting tens of thousands of visitors from all over Poland and abroad. edit
- Ogólnopolskie Spotkania z Piosenką Żeglarską RAFA, Sala Koncertowa Urzędu Miejskiego, ul. Żeromskiego 53, ☎ (+48) 48 385 74 15, . An annual Poland-wide festival of shanties. The next edition is scheduled for November 2011. Tickets: 20 zł. edit
Maybe not the obvious choice, Radom is the second largest academic centre in Masovia, after Warsaw.
- Technical University of Radom (Politechnika Radomska), ul. Malczewskiego 29, ☎ (+48) 483617000, . The Technical University of Radom, with some 10,000 students enrolled, is Radom's largest institute of higher education and offers a variety of courses and programs to choose from. edit
- Consus, ul. Żeromskiego 75, ☎ (+48) 483631503, . Language school offering courses in English, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and French. edit
- Fabryka Języka Centrum, ul. Słowackiego 84, ☎ (+48) 606108446, . Language school offering courses in Arabic, English, German, Italian, Spanish and French. edit
In Radom, there is a small expatriate community of language teachers. Try contacting one of the city's numerous language schools; they are especially keen on employing native English speakers, but speakers of German, French or Spanish might also find something.
The best place for city shopping is Żeromskiego Street and the adjacent streets. There you will find numerous shops with clothes, shoes, and others. Many Polish and international banks have their branches at Żeromskiego too. Almost opposite of the city hall (where Mickiewicza and Żeromskiego streets meet), there is also Galeria Rosa which has a number of shops inside.
- Browar Zamkowy - Piwo Żywe, Limanowskiego 71, . Buy local non-pasteurized beer from one of Radom's first micro-breweries. It is said the recipes date back to a few hundred years ago. edit
- Radomianka. Locally made cocoa cake with whipped cream. Ask for in restaurants and confectioneries. edit
- Galeria 'Echo', ul. Żółkiewskiego 4, ☎ (+48) 48 333 21 56. Mon-Sat 9:00-21:00, Sun 10:00-19:00. edit
- M1 Shopping Center (Centrum Handlowe M1), al. Grzecznarowskiego 28, ☎ (+48) 48 3618 776, . Mon-Sat 9:00-21:00, Sun 11:00-19:00. edit
- 'Senior' Department Store (Dom Towarowy 'Senior'), Plac Jagielloński 8, ☎ (+48) 48 360 00 39. Mon-Fri 10:00-18:00, Sat 10:00-14:00, Sun - closed. edit
- Galeria Fenix
- Galeria Słoneczna, ul. Chrobrego 1 (In front of the Jagiellonian Square). edit
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| 20 zł or less
|| 21 zł - 40 zł
|| 41 zł and up
At the M-1 Mall (M-Jeden in Polish) there is a small food court with McDonald's and KFC, as well as a pretty good sit down restaurant called Sphinx. There are a few other McDonald's restaurants in town.
- Bar Mleczny "Sezam", ul. Moniuszki 23. A remainder of the communist era, this milk bar offers fairly decent dishes for as little as 2 zł. Worth a visit for a 1980s-like experience.
- Pod Kasztanami,  ul. Żeromskiego 46a, tel. 048 362 11 25, opening times: Mon - Sat 10-22, Sun 12-22.
- Samira Kebab Cafe Bar, ul. Malczewskiego 9/11, 048 362 26 41. A Lebanese restaurant, serving delicious kebabs and other Arabic dishes at very competitive prices.
- Słonecznik, ul. Moniuszki 22, tel. 048 362 63 73. Cafeteria-style place serving Polish and European cuisine. A place to go for a quick meal, a cake and a coffee; nothing special though.
- Banja Luka Restaurant & Bar,  ul. Żeromskiego 56, tel. 048 360 04 66, opening times: Mon - Thu 10-23, Fri 10-01, Sat 20-02, Sun 11-23. Restaurant serving Balkan cuisine, located in the basement of a 19th century bath house.
- Casablanca Piano Cafe, ul. Piłsudskiego 11, tel. 048 385 85 45, opening times: Mon - Fri 10-22, Sat - Sun 12-22. Stylized after the movie Casablanca, this restaurant serves Polish and European cuisine. Also very popular to go there for a couple of beers. Nice music plays in the background.
- Green Zebra,  ul. Focha 12 (behind the TM Hotel), tel. 048 363 84 04, opening times: Mon - Sat 10-22, Sun 12-20. The city's first vegetarian restaurant. Extravagant design, friendly atmosphere.
- Higashi Sushi Bar,  ul. Żeromskiego 88, tel. 048 334 38 46, opening times: Mon - Thu 11-22, Fri 11-23, Sat 12-23, Sun 12-21. Japanese restaurant.
- Karczma Bankrut,  ul.Kielecka 153, tel. 048 383 66 94, opening times: Sun - Thu 11-22, Fri - Sat 11-24. Traditional restaurant decorated in a highland style.
- MammaLeo,  ul. Szewska 14, tel. 0502 553 658. A newly opened family restaurant. Great place to visit with your children where they can engage in a number of educational activities and eat.
- Olivio,  ul. Żeromskiego 17, tel. 048 363 63 00.
- Panie i Panowie, ul. Piłsudskiego 13, tel. 048 340 22 79.
- Teatralna,  ul. Żeromskiego 55, tel. 048 363 77 63, opening times: Mon - Sun 12-22. A cosy restaurant serving Italian cuisine. Piano bar every Tuesday.
- Europejska,  ul. Słowackiego 11, tel. 048 340 00 24, opening times: Mon - Sun 12-23. Located in the Europejski Hotel, this restaurant offers a variety of Polish and International cuisine.
Bars and pubs
- Babie Lato, ul. Rwańska 7, ☎ (+48) 48 369 93 75, . [email protected] Ladies club and cafe. Apart from numerous drinks and cocktails, food and desserts are available too. edit
- Jack Rocks, ul. 11-ego Listopada 99f, ☎ (+48) 509 482 362. Mon - Thu: 12:00 - 24:00, Fri-Sat: 12:00 till last customer, Sun: 12:00 - 23:00. Two-storey cosy pub with live music. edit
- MK Bowling, Galeria ROSA, ul. Żeromskiego 52, ☎ (+48) 48 382 02 02, . Mon, Wed, Sun: 10:00 - 24:00; Tue, Thu-Sat: 10:00-02:00. Bar and restaurant. Has bowling and pool. Karaoke every Tuesday and Thursday at 21:00. edit
- Nasza Szkapa, ul. Dowkonta 2, ☎ (+48) 48 362 27 84. edit A small, but lively pub next to the train station. Popular for watching football matches.
- Pivovaria, ul. Moniuszki 26, ☎ (+48) 48 384 88 78, . The first restaurant in Radom with in-house microbrewery. Go for a meal and chase it with one of the 4 kinds of beer brewed in Pivovaria. edit
- Retrospekcja, ul. Malczewskiego 9/11, ☎ (+48) 506 997 277, . Mon - Thu: 12:00 - 23:00, Fri - Sun: 12:00 - till last customer. [email protected] Brand new club and restaurant, serving a variety of beer, whiskey, and other liqueurs. edit
- Tawerna MESSA, ul. Malczewskiego 8. Sailors' tavern. edit
- Bufet artystyczny Czekolada, Plac Jagielloński 15, ☎ (+48) 48 384 53 31. edit
- Dekada, ul. Rwańska 10, ☎ (+48) 503 057 522, . edit
- Marcus, ul. Żeromskiego 39, ☎ (+48) 48 362 34 05. edit
- Aula, ul. Chrobrego 31, ☎ (+48) 48 361 73 89, . Student club located in the basement of the Faculty of Economics. edit
- Alibi, ul. Malczewskiego 29, ☎ (+48) 48 361 73 73, . Student club located in a 19th century basement of an ex-Russian garrison building. edit
- Archiwum, al. Grzecznarowskiego 2, ☎ (+48) 48 385 39 00, . Lounge club. edit
- Club Mojito, al. Grzecznarowskiego 2, ☎ (+48) 530 110 110, . Minimum age: 25. edit
- Fanaberia, ul. Struga 7a, ☎ (+48) 48 369 01 43, . edit
- Katakumby, ul. Plac Stare Miasto 11, ☎ (+48) 601 29 54 39, . edit
- Strefa G2, Al. Grzecznarowskiego 2, ☎ (+48) 48 383 06 99, . Largest venue in Radom, with 1000 people capacity. Concerts are organized on a regular basis. Bowling and pool available too. edit
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under 100 zł
|| 100 zł to 250 zł
|| Over 250 zł
- Szkolne Schronisko Młodzieżowe, ul. Limanowskiego 34/40, Phone: (+48) 48 360 22 14, . Youth hostel.
- Hotel Astor, ul. Chorzowska 1, Phone (+48) 48 365 63 63, .
- Hotel „Centralny Ośrodek Szkolenia Maszynistów”, ul. Józefa Ignacego Kraszewskiego 1, Phone: (+48) 48 369 95 90.
- E7, ul. Czarnieckiego 70, Phone (+48) 48 384 77 54, .
- Glass, ul. Prażmowskiego 17, Phone: (+48) 48 340 25 85, .
- Hotel Gromada - Borki ***, ul. Bulwarowa 15 , Phone: (+48) 48 330 85 86, .
- Gryf, ul. Puławska 8, Phone (+48) 48 365 54 05, .
- Hotel Iskra **, ul. Planty 4, Phone (+48) 48 363 87 45, . The oldest continuously operating hotel in the city.
- Hotel Poniatowski Radom ***, ul. Poniatowskiego 4, Phone (+48) 48 384 01 91, .
- Hotel TM, ul. Focha 12, Phone (+48) 48 363 27 08, .
- Hotel Aviator ****, ul. Malczewskiego 18, Phone (+48) 48 362 88 88, .
- Hotel Europejski ***, ul. Słowackiego 11, Phone (+48) 48 340 00 21, .
There are few internet cafés (Polish: kawiarenka internetowa) spread around the city.
- Cafe Internet, ul. Słowackiego 195, Phone (+48) 48 384 79 95.
- Multi Fox, ul. Okulickiego 58/70, Phone (+48) 48 360 83 72.
- Reama, ul. Żeromskiego 71, Phone (+48) 48 363 20 95.
- Szuflandia, ul. Skłodowskiej-Curie 7, Phone (+48) 48 363 41 59.
There is also an increasing number of hot-spots. You can find them in several restaurants such as McDonald's, KFC, Fanaberia, Cafe Parkowa, or Pivovaria. The Radom Technical University's main campus also has hot-spots. There are also free hot-spots in the following locations: Galeria Fenix (shopping centre), the Plac Jagielloński area in front of the theatre, Żeromskiego, Moniuszki, Mickiewicza and other streets in the city centre, and many other locations.
The Radom area code is 48, which is the same as the Polish country code. To dial a phone number from Radom you will have to dial +48 48 X from outside the country.
- Main Post Office (Poczta Główna), ul. Beliny Prażmowskiego 2, ☎ (+48) 48 362 52 52 ([email protected], fax: (+48) 48 362 13 26), . Open 24/7. edit
Pick-pocketing happens mostly at the train station, public transportation and local market places; it is not frequent though. Exercise the usual caution when walking around the city, especially at night and away from the city centre. At night, try keep to the main streets or use a taxi.
As a foreigner, you are likely to be a target of any crime just as much as if you were local. Crimes targeting solely tourists are unheard of.
Radom was a pioneer of the Bezpieczne Miasto (Safe City) programme, later followed by other cities in Poland, by introducing a full-scale campaign since 1997. Currently there are 61 CCTV cameras around the city, mostly in the centre, that successfully helped to reduce the number of criminal offences.
- Warsaw - Located just 100 km away, the capital of Poland is within easy reach, with numerous trains and buses leaving throughout the day.
- Wsola - Pay a visit to located 10km away from Radom town of Wsola, home of Witold Gombrowicz Museum . Address: Wsola, ul. Witolda Gombrowicza 1, 26-660 Jedlińsk.
- Iłża - Located about 30 km south of Radom, Iłża is a great place for a one-day visit. The remains of the 14th century castle are a must-see.
- Orońsko - Visit Centrum Rzeźby Polskiej , the Centre of Polish Sculpture. See the manor house of the painter Józef Brandt. Open daily except Mondays. Admission: adults 5 zł; children, students 3 zł.
- Domaniów - About 20 km west of Radom. Home to a 500 ha artificial lake; good place to go in the summer if you are a water-sports enthusiast. There is a little pier where you can rent a sailing boat or a kayak.