Rab (Italian: Arbe) is an island and a town of the same name in Kvarner.
Rab is just off the northern coast of Croatia in the Adriatic Sea, today in the Primorje-Gorski Kotar county. The island was the frontier between Liburnia and Dalmatia. Rab is one of the most popular islands in the northern Adriatic, with the town as beautiful as Dubrovnik, and green woods as in NP Mljet. After Opatija, Rab was one of the first vacation and wellness oases in the Kvarner archipelago region, also known as the pioneer of nudism. Rab offers everything necessary for a great holiday -- friendly people, good facilities, nice climate and great beaches.
There are many ferry routes to Rab Island :
- Stinica - Mišnjak (south-east), the shortest and most convenient connection. Only 15 minutes.
- Rijeka - Rab, longer connection.
- Baška - Lopar (north)
There is a bus terminal with local buses and long distance ones. The old town is only pedestrian traffic. Parking can be a challenge near the old town if you're not a local. There are many taxi boats to take you around the island and various beaches, also a taxi boat to Lun on neighboring Pag.
- Old town, ☎ 771064. 3. (,300) edit
- Go swimming in the warm, clear Adriatic
- go snorkeling
- sun tan
- read about the 2000 years of history on the many placards
- see the ruins, old churches, reliquery, museum.
- climb the large 13th Century bell tower
- climb the old wall
- climb Kamenjak to see much of the northern Adriatic
- take a boat tour around the island
- eat gelato(there are at least 10 places to get some within a 5 minute walk)
- have an exciting ride on a speed boat
- see the sea floor in a glass-bottom boat
- dance at a nightclub
- enjoy some drinks at a bar
- eat delicious local seafood
- see 'Rapska fjera', with a medieval parade and arbalest competition.
- fishing expedition
As Rab is a popular tourist destination, it has many restuarants. There are also many ice-cream shops that serve gelato and cakes and dessert pastries as well.
- Kastell Apartments, Lopar 264 (Island of Rab), ☎ +38551775592, . Top House with 4 holiday apartments, Sandy beach nearby, internet, AC, satellite TV. Enjoy a relaxing holiday in this beautiful house, with 4 modern apartments for 4-6 or 6-9 people. A beautiful well maintained garden area with barbecue including dining table and seating for the nightly BBQ belongs to the house. edit
- Žabčić Apartments, Kampor 391 (Island of Rab), ☎ +385 (0)91 510 4508, . Air-conditioned apartments with 1-3 bedrooms with view over the sea. Free WiFi and Cable TV. Secure access with electronic card. Free Parking. Barbecuing possible. Only 150m from the beach, bars, restaurants, pizzeria, and a groceries store. Private boat dock and lift available at the beach. edit
- Apartments Barbara, Palit 323, ☎ 00 385 91 533 7656, . Best apartments in rab, with Air conditioner, 4 rooms apartments, view over sea. Modern design of apartments and much more. 100m from beach. edit
Rab is a small touristy island, and is generally safe. Just use common sense.
The sea can have currents and riptides, but this isn't a huge concern. Don't swim in boat lanes.
Be aware of the northeast wind, called Bura. It is a powerful and gusty wind. If the local excursion boats don't leave the harbor, you probably shouldn't either.