Rădăuţi is a city in Southern Bucovina.
A relatively pleasant small town with several historical sites, Rădăuţi is also a good base for visiting the Painted Monasteries. It has received prizes as being the cleanest city in Romania.
Radauti is reached by hourly buses from the regional hub Suceava (one hour away) and 4-5 direct buses from Bucharest (9-10 hours away). There are also several buses from Siret (30 minutes away), near the main border crossing from Ukraine.
The town is rather small, it can be visited on foot.
- Mănăstirea Bogdana (Bogdana Monastery), strada Bogdan Vodă nr. 6, ☎ +40230 563005 ([email protected]), . Partly built in the 14th century, it is one of the oldest religious sites in the country edit
- Muzeul Etnografic (Ethnography Museum), Piaţa Unirii nr. 69, ☎ +40230 562565, . Has extensive collections of traditional artifacts (wooden objects, pottery, clothing etc.) from throughout the Bucovina region edit
- Templul Mare (Great Temple), strada 1 Mai nr. 2. A large synagogue built in 1883 by the once numerous Jewish community edit
- Biserica Naşterea Sfintei Fecioare Maria (Birth of the holy Virgin Mary church), strada Ştefan cel Mare nr.16. The town's only Catholic church, built in 1823-1826 edit
- Rădăuţi stud farm, strada Bogdan Voda nr. 114, ☎ +40230 561524 ([email protected], fax: +40230 561524), . One of the largest and oldest (founded 1789) stud farms in the country, it offers horse and pony rides, carriage and sledge trips, riding classes etc. €1.5-€30. edit
- Arbore monastery is about 15 km south of the town
- Sucevita monastery is 20 km to the west
- Putna monastery is 30 km north-west