Jamaica is an expansive neighborhood located in eastern Queens. Historically consisting of predominantly black communities, Jamaica now is home to an extremely diverse array of peoples and cultures.
You can get here by taking the E, F, J, or Z trains, or the Long Island Railroad.
Jamaica is the closest neighborhood to JFK Airport. To get to Jamaica, either take AirTrain JFK directly to Jamaica Station, a $5 fare, or as a cheaper alternative, an MTA Q10 bus going to the airport, which charges a regular $2.50 fare (Note that this leaves you on the western edge of Jamaica. You can take the J or Z trains from there one stop to Sutphin Boulevard or two stops to Jamaica Center) The Q3 bus goes to Hillside Avenue in northern Jamaica.
Long Island Rail Road
Jamaica Station is a major transportation hub for Long Island Rail Road and is one of the busiest train stations in the country. It is served by every LIRR line except for the Port Washington Branch.
Jamaica is served by the F, E, J, and Z trains.
- King Manor Museum (15003 Jamaica Ave) is the historic home of Rufus King, a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house exhibits the story of Jamaica Village in the early 1800's.
- Afrikan Poetry Theatre (17603 Jamaica Ave) hosts classes, activist and cultural programs, musical performances, and produces original plays.
- Black Spectrum Theatre (11907 Merrick Blvd) creates theatre and film that focuses on educating African American youth on racial issues, as well as highlights emerging Black artists.
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning (16104 Jamaica Ave) is the heart of Jamaica's art culture, organizing workshops, classes, exhibits, and performances in the visual and performing arts.
- Take a walk in Rufus King Park and watch locals play soccer in the field.
- Visit St. John's University, a Catholic private university on 8000 Utopia Parkway.
- Jamaica Avenue is the neighborhood's main throughfare, with a plethora of shops. The street is very pedestrian friendly, and items are typically cheap.
- Comfort Inn & Suites JFK Airport, 144-36 153rd Lane, ☎ +1 (800) 424-6243, . edit
- Days Inn, 144-26 153rd Court, ☎ +1 (718) 527-9025, . edit
- Howard Johnson Express Inn at JFK Airport, 153-95 Rockaway Blvd, ☎ +1 (718) 723-6700, . edit
- Jamaica YMCA, 89-25 Parsons Boulevard, ☎ +1 (718) 658-7233, . edit
- JFK Inn, 154-10 South Conduit Ave, ☎ +1 (718) 723-5100, . edit
- Super 8 Motel, 139-01 Jamaica Ave, ☎ +1 (718) 658-1866, . edit
- Best Western JFK Airport, 144-25 153rd Lane, ☎ +1 (718) 977-2100, . edit
- Courtyard by Marriott JFK Airport, 145-11 North Conduit Ave., ☎ +1 (718) 848-2121, . edit
- Double Tree Hotel JFK Airport, 135-30 140th Street, ☎ +1 (718) 322-2300, . edit
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 156-08 Rockaway Blvd., ☎ +1 (718) 977-3300, . edit
- Hampton Inn, 144-10 135th Avenue, ☎ +1 (718) 322-7500, . edit
- Hilton Garden Inn Queens/JFK Airport, 148-18 134th Street, ☎ +1 (718) 322-4448, . edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 153-70 South Conduit Ave, ☎ +1 (718) 977-3100, . edit
- International JFK Hotel, 144-02 135th Avenue, ☎ +1 (718) 659-0200, . edit
- JFK Plaza Hotel, 151-20 Baisley Blvd, ☎ +1 (800) 230-4134, . edit
- Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, 132-26 South Conduit Drive, ☎ +1 (718) 322-7190, . edit
There is a lot of drug use in the area (crack, heroin, etc.), so be careful. Pimps and prostitutes galore, too.