Qinhuangdao (秦皇岛; Qínhuángdǎo) is a city in Hebei province.
Qinhuangdao has three urban areas:
- Beidaihe: a seaside resort.
- Haigang District: the harbor area and considered Qinhuangdao proper.
- Shanhaiguan: the eastern end of the Great Wall.
If you want to go to Qinhuangdao by plane, you need to get off from Beijing Capital Airport, then you can take Inter-Provincial Bus. Take note of the timetable.
There are multiple train options when traveling to and from Qinhuangdao. Most visitors to Qinhuangdao are coming from either Beijing or Tianjin. Both cites are a short two hour ride on one of CRC's (China Railway Corp.) 'D' or 'Dong' trains. A ticket for a fast train to or from Beijing is ¥93, but expect to pay a ¥5 ticketing fee if not purchased directly at a train station. 'T', 'K', and 'numbered' trains also make daily journeys through Qinhuangdao, but they are much slower (4-6 hours to/from Beijing) and rarely worth the savings for western travelers who value time over cost.
Long distance buses are common in China, and Qinhuangdao is no exception. Buses depart from a central station near to the central train station in the Haiguan area of the city. Bus tickets to and from Beijing will often cost as much as train tickets, but the departures are more frequent. There is a direct bus from Beijing International Airport (PEK) direct to Qinhuangdao. Travel time is roughly 4 hours (depending on traffic), and tickets can be purchased directly at the bus station at the airport for ¥150.
Qinhuangdao is a relatively small city by China standards. However, due to its location on the water, the city tends to sprawl in a linear fashion along the coast from Shanhaiguan to Beidaihe, thus making buses and taxis necessary means for getting around.
Taxis are inexpensive and abundant, thus making them the preferred means of transport for travelers. Be sure you can confidently communicate where you want to go before you get into a cab as most of the drivers in Qinhuangdao can not speak English, but many of them can read Chinese. You can ask somebody to write down the place where you want go in Chinese on a card, and show this card to taxi driver. The best approach is to have a valid phone number for where you are going, or a phone number for a contact who can communicate with the driver in Chinese, should there be a problem.
Buses are also a good option for getting around the city. City maps, which contain bus routes on them, can be obtained from kiosks near to the central bus and train stations. Buses cost between 1 and 2 yuan for a single ticket ride. However, the low cost means that buses are always overcrowded, and occasional pickpockets make it essential to protect your personal belongings.
Qinhuangdao has little in the way of things to see and places to visit. Most visitors who come tend to spend their time at the beaches, which are very nice for Chinese standards. Sights and tourist attractions are best discovered by purchasing one of the city maps from a kiosk near to the central bus station or central train station and looking at the pictures that surround the map as advertisement. The best advice however, is to save your sightseeing for other cities you will visit, and simply spend your time at the beach while in Qinhuangdao.
- Emerald Isle (翡翠岛). Gold Coast is located in the southern coastal areas, is China's seven national marine nature reserve of. The East, north, West three from Bohai and seven around the Caspian ( lagoon), is a by the yellow sand and green vegetation and the peninsula. The island at rolling, beautiful shape, the highest point of 44meters, known as "the Jingdong desert " is called. edit
- Gold Coast (黄金海岸). Located in Hebei province Changli County southeast of Bohai coast,52.1 km long coastline, with fine sand beach, soft, clear water, tidal flat, is bathing in the sea, sun, sand, forest bath, air bath place. edit
- ShanHai Guan (山海关), . Built in 1381 in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), Shanhaiguan is a town situated in the northeast of Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province. It adjoins the Bohai Sea to the southeast and the Yanshan Mountain to the northwest. The city wall of Shanhaiguan is still well-preserved. While the Shanhai Pass of Great Wall is now the main entrance to the town, in the Ming Dynasty the area to the north of Shanhaiguan was not Chinese territory. Following the complex physical features of this area, the northern area was once part of the defensive system of the Great Wall. edit
The city has a wide selection of entertainment options, but mostly are dedicated to nightlife and dining. The main attraction of the area is the sea and the relatively clean beaches. Day trips to Shanhaiguan and Beidaihe are hassle free and worth doing.
- Xuerun Spa (Hebei Dajie Zhongduan No.233-1), 秦皇岛市海港区河北大街中段233-1号, ☎ 7989333, . Xuerun Spa is one of the few pleasure destinations in Qinhuangdao. You can pamper yourself with full body massage, traditional Chinese hot stone massage, Taiwanese acupuncture, oil therapy, skin treatments and facials. They believe health comes from nature and beauty comes from health. The natural oil therapy, derived from plants, is a top choice for woman who visit the city. $$. edit
Qinhuangdao, like every city in China has its share of shopping. The downtown area is comprised of many shops all selling different goods at prices that are usually less than in Beijing. The styles however, tend to be out dated and nearly everything available is knock off versions of the 'real' products sold elsewhere in China. There is a great DVD store on the second floor of the 'Blog Theme Hotel' near to 'Qinhuangdao Number 2 Middle School'. There are also large electronic stores in the same vicinity. Most items are priced competitively and can be bargained for with some success.
- Pu Shi (樸石西餐厅), Taiyangcheng Zhengyang Street No. 39, ☎ 3252286, . 10:00 - 24:00. This is a favorite for pizza in the city. You can dine in, take out, or have it delivered straight to your door. The handmade crusts and ample toppings make this the best Chicago style pie in the city. The private rooms are classy and elegant. You will not be disappointed with the service and comfort. Watch a movie or a sports match on your own personal flat screen. If you do want some company, the piano bar is wonderful. You can curl up in the oversized, overstuffed furniture and take in the scene. This is the place to see and be seen in QHD. $$. edit
- Butterfly (蝴蝶时尚餐厅), Qinhuangdao Haigang District Kanglejie No. 1 (Renmin guangchang yingu xice), ☎ 3289777. 9:30 - 24:00. Located right next to People's Square, it sits in the heart of the entertainment district of the city. This is the place to go for quality cuts of meat and plump steaks. The prices are reasonable, and are on par with other western style steakhouses in China. The bar serves a full line of spirits and wines,and has a nice list of imported beers to choose from. A must visit for anyone who needs a "meat" fix. $$$. edit
- Haitianyise Hotel (海天一色度假村), Qinhuangdao Haigang District Dongshanjie No. 51, ☎ 3417799, . 9:00 - 21:00. Nestled among the rocks overlooking the ocean, this is the place to go for weekend brunch. The restaurant is connected to the Haitianyise Hotel and Seaside Resort. It’s a top pick among travelers and locals alike. The seafood buffet is always fresh and includes all the sides and drinks (including alcohol) that you care to consume. Enjoy your meal while watching the waves roll in. $$$. edit
- 2046 — disco
- N-Bar (嗯吧), Qinhuangdao Xinbaojie No.78. 13:00 - 4:00. N-Bar is a good place to go for an all nighter. Most nights the party starts late and goes until whenever the last of the last feel like heading home. Three spacious floors allow patrons to choose the atmosphere they like. The first floor is a traditional beer hall; the second floor has comfy lounge chairs and a massive projection screen showing films and games; the third floor has a free billiards table and private suites that you can curl up in to enjoy some alone time. ***UPDATE: as of APRIL 2014, this establishment is no longer around*** $$. edit
- Gin & Tonic Bar (金汤力酒吧), Xinbaojie No. 50 (Bohai Mingzhu Xiaoqunance sidaoqiaoxixing 100 meters), ☎ 13102501912. 19:30 - 3:00. Gin & Tonic Bar is a top pick for nightlife in Qinhuangdao. Nightly DJ's pump out live music as patrons dance on the clubs multi-floor stages. Gin & Tonic features a rotation of DJ's from around China as well as their own in house DJ, DJ Paradise who is making a name for himself outside of Qinhuangdao. Nightly sets of hip-hop, electronica, R&B, and rap get mixed together to create a true nightclub destination. Gin & Tonic combines a state of the art lighting system with advanced sound technologies to make sure you feel like you're in the club. Monday's ladies night where ladies drink free; Thursday's showcase Gin & Tonic's in house mixologist DJ Paradise; and Sunday's are mixed rhythem nights where there is something for everyone. Gin & Tonic is growing a culture of entertainment and nightlife in Qinhuangdao that sets it apart from the typical drinking establishment. They understand the value in giving patrons access to different drinks and cocktails while not gouging them on price. Drink, dance, be merry, and enjoy the night. ***UPDATE: as of APRIL 2014, this establishment is no longer around*** $$. edit
- 3 Cute Monkey's Bar (三只可爱猴酒吧), Qinhuangdao Xinbaojie No.68, ☎ 13084535757. 19:30 - 2:00. "Speak no evil, see no evil, and hear no evil" is the motto of 3 Cute Monkey's Bar. The friendly and welcoming owner makes this place a great choice for an evening of drinks with close friends. Live music, cheap drinks, and a laid back crowd make this a Qinhuangdao favorite! The bar has three stories, each providing patrons a different ambiance. The first floor resembles a European style pub where you can belly up to the bar or relax at one of the tables near to the live music stage. The second floor has tables and comfortable lounge chairs where you and your friends can find a quiet nook to enjoy yourselves, while still taking in the live music from below. The third floor is a giant game room where you will find tables for card games, mahjong, and even a pool table. Nightly drink specials make this a very inexpensive place to go for a night on the town. 3 Cute Monkey's delivers everything that you could want in a bar in Qinhuangdao at a fraction of the price of most of its competitors. Every night is ladies night, where ladies who leave the men at home and come in a group of 3 or more are welcome to free Tsingtao beer. Students with a valid ID will receive nightly discounts off their tabs. The charming and cute boss is more than happy to help mix up a special 'charming monkey' cocktail, all you have to do is ask. ***UPDATE: as of APRIL 2014, this establishment is no longer around*** $$. edit
|Routes through Qinhuangdao