Purwokerto is a relatively small but bustling city located in the Central Java province, Indonesia. It is located in the western part of the province, nestled in an isolated valley between Salak Mountain Ranges and the Southern Mountain Ranges. It is also a major transportation hub in Java, connecting other major cities in Java, such as Jakarta, Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, and Cirebon.
Mount Slamet seen from Karangsalam village
Purwokerto is a city of around 300,000 inhabitants. Commonly referred as a cross-road between Jakarta and Yogyakarta. The city is on the foothill of Gunung Slamet volcano, the highest volcano in Central Java. Purwokerto is also the main entrance to climb Gunung Slamet. Many of Indonesian famous people originated from Purwokerto, namely Jendral Sudirman, Jendral Gatot Subroto, Soepardjo Roestam etc. Most of those heroic people are honoured as a street name all over Indonesia.
Military airport in Wirasaba, Purbalingga is only a half hour from Purwokerto. Recently, Susi Air, an Indonesian airline company that provides small commercial planes, serves Wirasaba to Halim Perdanakusuma (HPK) in Jakarta.
The second way, from capital city of Jakarta through Soekarno Hatta Airport, you can pass Adi Sucipto Airport (Yogyakarta), Adi Sumarmo Airport (Solo), Tunggul Wulung Airstrip (Cilacap) and Ahmad Yani International Airport (Semarang) and then go through road way.
The bus station is Terminal Bus Purwokerto on 10 hectares area, clean, safe and comfortable. Located 4 km to the south of the town center. There are regular services throughout the island, including Jakarta (9 hours) and Bogor (5-10 hours) with Sinar Jaya bus, Yogyakarta (4 to 5.5 hours) with Raharja and Efisiensi bus, Semarang (6 hours) with Nusantara bus and Bandung (6 to 8 hours) with Budiman and Goodwill bus.
The terminal has 24 hour service.
Sinar Jaya bus from Bogor to Purwokerto leaves at 17:00 but ticket line is long from at least 15:00. Bogor bus station not too clean, but if you come early to buy your ticket, there's a bunch of coffee shops, local eateries etc. just outside where you can pass the time. Also two bathroom sets at the station, one clean for a 2,000 IDR fee, the other filthy and stinky even from the outside, best avoided. WC is squat-style "hole in the ground".
Comfort level is low to medium. Seats are tight, especially that some buses have 3+2 seats per row. If you don't like being shoulder to shoulder with people for hours at a time, you will not enjoy the experience. When you buy the ticket, buy it on the 2 seats side (there is a seating plan so just point at the seats you want) so you get either window or aisle, not middle. No bath room on the bus. Rest stops every 4 hours on average, and bathrooms I met were clean.
Safety is a concern for road travel anywhere. in the world. Some impressive big highways with great paving for most of trip from Bogor. Still, feels risky at night on two way roads with heavy rain, and everybody starting to get sleepy. Train probably safer that way.
Trains to Jakarta take between 4 to 9 hours from the main Purwokerto station depend on train class. The Argo-class trains (Argo Lawu and Argo Dwipangga) are the best, most comfortable, and fastest. Taksaka is almost as good. These train also cater for Yogyakarta destination. You may check complete list of train schedule and cost at .
Jenderal Sudirman Street, one of the busiest street in town
Purwokerto is a relatively small city, travelling around town should not be too expensive.
Traditional three-wheeled pedal-powered carts known as becak can be found in most part of Purwokerto. Haggle furiously.
Although Purwokerto is relatively a small city, travelling around town can be more faster and easier by angkot (a van that carries passengers, very common in Indonesia). Always have direct routes but sometimes can be very crowded. Costs Rp 2500 per person.
info for Angkot route in Purwokerto 
- Kobata Taxi, Jalan Stadion Mini IV Blok B no. 42, ☎ (0281) 642440/(0281) 642441. edit
- Satria Taxi, Jalan Pemuda, ☎ (0281) 7668400. edit
Purwokerto has many beautiful buildings and monuments.
Bank BRI Museum, one of the city's main attraction.
- Purwokerto Fly-over, Jalan Pemuda (in front of the Purwokerto Railway Station). Built in 1967 and also known by the locals as "Gili Tumpang", Purwokerto Fly-over is a well-known landmark and worth some nice photos. edit
Purwokerto Railway Station, one of the most important railway transportation hub in the region.
- Purwokerto Railway Station, Jalan Stasiun no. 1 (right in the end of the street), ☎ 0282637037, . The largest and busiest railway station in the region. It is also a major railway transportation hub that connects other major cities in Java. edit
- Bank BRI Museum, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 55 (across the Bank BRI Branch Office), ☎ (0293) 310230, . One of the most famous museum in town. Dedicated for R.A. Wiriatmaja, the pioneer of the Indonesian banking system. Displays a lot of money and coins collection from the Dutch colonization era until present times. Also worth plenty of photos. edit
- Pendopo Si Panji, Jalan Kabupaten no. 1 (in front of the Alun-Alun (city square)), . The most important and famous historical building in town. Present times, it stands as the government office and tourist attraction. Worth a few picturesque photos. edit
- Alun-Alun Purwokerto, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (in front of the Pendopo Si Panji). A wide open-air city square in town. Also a place where the locals meet and gather together with their families, friends, and relations. A lot of restaurants, shops, and prominent historical buildings surrounded this square. edit
- Baturraden Adventure Forest (BAF), Baturraden (1 km from Queen Garden Hotel), . edit
- GOR Satria, Jalan Prof Dr Suharso no. 99 (In the center of Prof Dr Suharso Rd). 6.00 AM - 21.00 PM. The largest sport center in town. There are a football stadium, tennis courts, climbing venues, badminton arena, motor-cross venues, and reflection parks. You may jog or walk around in only 5 minutes, with freshness of the cool air and beautiful views. edit
- Wijayakusuma Golf Course, Jalan HR Bunyamin (behind the Wijayakusuma Hospital (also known as DKT Hospital)), ☎ (0281) 634597. Although small and not the best golfing option in the region, Wijayakusuma Golf Course is good enough for those who want to golfing in the downtown. edit
- Inul Vizta, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 840 (just a few meters east from the Pasar Wage), ☎ (0281) 621555 or (0281) 7612555 (fax: (0281) 627854), . By far the best and the largest karaoke box in town. edit
- NAV Karaoke Keluarga, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 606 (Right in the downtown, across Bank Mandiri Branch Office and just a walk distance from the Srimaya Intersection), ☎ (0281) 636351 or (0281) 627001 (fax: (0281) 627401), . A one-stop entertainment spot in town. Also one of the oldest nation's karaoke chains that opens its outlet in Purwokerto. edit
- Happy Puppy, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Ruko Satria Plaza no. AB - 7/8 (Located in the Satria Plaza Shophouses, a well-known commercial and business spot in town, close to the Rita Pasaraya and just a walk distance from the Srimaya Intersection), ☎ (0281) 625272, . A good option for karaoke in town. Strategically located in the downtown. edit
- Happy Family Karaoke, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 437, 2nd floor of Cherry Fresh Fruit Market (in the second floor of Cherry Fresh Fruit Market, in the Kamandaka area), ☎ (0281) 7606119 or (0281) 7606120 (fax: (0281) 628139), . 09.00 AM - 03.00 PM. One of the newest karaoke box in town with the concept of 'family karaoke'. Contains 26 rooms that divided into 5 types. edit
- Rommy In Owner Maestro Billiard Club no phone : 085747541971, Jalan Dr Suharso (besides the Ayam Goreng Keratonan restaurant, close to the GOR Satria). One of the most well-known billiard and pool spot in town. edit
- BBC Billiards and Pool, Jalan Dr Angka, Tirta Kembar Amusement Center (just a walk distance from Horison Hotel). The largest billiard and pool place in the region. edit
- Cheers! Cafe, Jalan Dr Angka no. 71 (Adjacent to Horison Hotel), ☎ (0281) 622099, . A lot of Indonesian famous singers and bands held their stage here. Plus, try the steak and wine. edit
The educational institution in Purwokerto:
- Universitas Jenderal Soedirman .
- Universitas Muhammadiyah Purwokerto .
- Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo now STAIN Purwokerto.
The biggest traditional market is Pasar Wage. There are also several small traditional markets, such as Pasar Manis and Pasar Pon.
Boutique and Distro
A row of shops in Purwokerto
There are a number of boutique and distro along the HR Bunyamin Street, in the northern part of the city. Mostly visited by the youths and college students.
- Moro Mall, Jalan Perintis Kemerdekaan no. 7 (Right in the commercial core in town, just a walk distance from Tamara Plaza and Rita Pasaraya Isola). 9.00 AM - 21.00 PM. The most visited and most famous shopping mall by the locals. Today, it's still on renovation and expansion phase. edit
- Tamara Plaza, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 447 (Right in the downtown, just a walk distance from Moro Mall and Rita Pasaraya Isola), ☎ (0281) 638176 or (0281) 638177 ([email protected], fax: (0281) 638216), . Also known as the 'Sri Ratu'. The anchor tenants of this mall are Handphone Center, Gramedia Book Store, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Sri Ratu Department Store. edit
- Rita Pasaraya Isola, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 558 (Located in the downtown, just a walk distance to Tamara Plaza and Moro Mall). One of the newest department store in town. edit
- Rita Pasaraya Kebon Dalem, Jalan Jenderal Suprapto no. 58 (Right in the downtown, across of Kebon Dalem commercial block). One of the oldest department store in town. edit
- Matahari Department Store, Jalan Jenderal Suprapto Kebondalem (Right in the Kebondalem commercial block's core), ☎ (0281) 636534 (fax: (0281) 636533), . One of the Indonesia's finest and most famous department store chains in town. edit
- Cherry Fresh Fruit Market, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 437 (Located right in the town center, 3 km head to the east from Moro Mall), ☎ (0281) 7920500. 9.00 AM - 21.00 PM. The largest and most complete fresh fruit store in town. The Happy Family Karaoke is on the 2nd floor. edit
- P&D Aroma, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 217 (Located right in the downtown, walking distance from Tamara Plaza and Moro Mall, right next to the central post office.), ☎ 637755. One of the oldest (est. 1978) and well known supermarket in town. Also famous for its local snacks (keleman) and burger/ hotdog. Opens everyday from 8 in the morning till 9 at night. edit
There are plenty of handicrafts and souvenirs stands in the nearby Baturaden, a cool resort-town 14 km to the north.
- Gethuk Goreng in the nearby, Sokaraja. There are plenty of local snack stores sell getuk goreng under different kinds of names. It made from cassava and a lot of Javanese sugar. Other foods to be had include nopia, mino (small nopia) kripik, and also mendoan.
- Mendoan can be bought in stores along Jalan Sawangan, such as Mirasa, Echo21, etc. You can buy it raw (with separated ingredients) and fry it at home.
The following dishes should be on every traveller's agenda:
- Gudeg, a curry of jackfruit, chicken and egg served with rice, and is the most famous local dish. The most famous gudeg seller is in front of Pasar Manis, Jalan Gatot Subroto.
- Mendoan is local food in Purwokerto, from a very slim Tempe (food from a fermented soy bean, very famous food in Java) and covered by dough of wheat flour. Although many places selling Mendoan, the best Mendoan only served in the village. Even though Mendoan sold at city is considerable tasty.
- Sate Kambing Sate Kambing in Purwokerto Area (Banyumas, Sokaraja, Purbalingga) is also famous for very tender young Goat. One of the best is Sate Tiga Saudara.
- BAKSO MALANG - RAJA BASOKA (Rajanya Bakso Bakar), Jl. Dr. Suharso (in front of GOR Satria Purwokerto, walking distance from Hotel ASTON), ☎ 085719978822, . approx 9am to 7 pm. Bakso or meat ball is the most famous traditional food in Indonesia. and Malang city has their own specialty taste. "Bakso Malang" Raja Basoka bring the authenticated taste to Purwokerto city. they also has chicken noodle "Cwie Mie Malang" as their special menu. edit
- Soto Ani, Gen. Sudirman (east from Alun-alun, across Gaya Baru Optik.located in small street behind building). approx 5 to 9 pm. 7k (at sept 09). edit
- Rumah Makan Cahaya Mas, one of the best chinese food restaurants in town. Moslem must think twice here.
- RM Endut, Jalan Wahid Hasyim no. 118 (just a walk distance to Jalan Overste Isdiman, one of the major and well-known roads in town.), ☎ (0281) 7647345. Famous for Hainan Chicken Rice and Nasi Campur. edit
- Serabi Jalan Bank, available early in the morning is a local favourite. The queue is sometimes very long especially during holiday season.
- Soto Jalan Bank, Jalan RA Wiriatmaja (also known as Jalan Bank) (just a walk distance to the north from Bank BRI Museum), ☎ (0281) 693353. One of the most famous typical dishes destination in town. Strategically located, cheap and recommendable. Soto Ayam IDR 7500, Ati IDR 7500. edit
- Soto Sungeb, Jalan RA Wiriatmaja no. 23 A (head to a small lane across the Soto Jalan Bank). The truly pioneer for the Soto Purwokerto. Tasty and easy-on-the-wallet. edit
- Soto Ani, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman (head to a small lane, across the road from Gaya Baru Optic). 16.30 PM - 22.30 PM. A well-known typical foods option in town. edit
- Soto Sokaraja, available in Sokaraja, located 4 km east of Purwokerto. Many of Soto Sokaraja in here, consider one of the best is Soto Kecik. The place not so good but very famous. Another famous one (some people consider this soto is better) is Soto Sutri.
- Mie Kelinci III available in HR.Benyamin 2 KM from Limas Agung.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 447, Ground Floor Tamara Plaza (right in the downtown), ☎ (0281) 641759, . The best and the most famous fried chicken joint chains in town. edit
- California Fried Chicken, Jalan Perintis Kemerdekaan, Moro Mall (right in the downtown). Another famous Indonesian fast food chains in Purwokerto. edit
- Bunto's Chicken, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 286 (across the Alun-Alun). One of the most famous local fast food chains in Purwokerto. Rita's owned. edit
- Bakso Pekih, Jalan Pekih (just a walk distance from the Alun-Alun and Grand Mosque). 9.00 AM - 18.00 PM. One of the most famous meatball place in town. Easy on the wallet. edit
- Pratista Harsa, Jalan Pereng (just a walk distance from the Alun-Alun and Grand Mosque). A food court in the downtown, with very wide varieties of local dishes. Easy on wallet and recommended for the culinary lovers. edit
- Siomay Kuah Segar, Jalan Prof Dr Suharso (across the GOR Satria's entrance point). A simple and modern restaurant that offers wide varieties of siomay and Japanese dishes, like Okonomiyaki, Yakimesi, Takoyaki, Ramen, and Steam Boat. Plus, also one of the best Japanese option in town. edit
- Paparon's Pizza, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Kompleks Pertokoan Stasiun Timur (In the city center, right in the intersection between Jalan Merdeka and Jalan Jenderal Sudirman), ☎ (0281) 634747, . The most well-known pizza restaurant in town. edit
- Ayam Penyet Suroboyo, Jalan Prof Dr Suharso (A few meters to the GOR Satria, across Iga Bakar Mas Giri), ☎ (0281) 625631. 9.00 AM - 22.00 PM. The best place to try the 'Ayam Penyet' in town. Tasty dishes and easy-on-the-wallet. edit
- Warung Leko, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso (A few meters to the GOR Satria). One of the most famous midrange restaurant chain in town. Delicious and valuable price. edit
- Iga Bakar Mas Giri, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso no. 8 (Just a walk distance to the GOR Satria, across Ayam Penyet Suroboyo). One of the most famous and most visited restaurant in town. Best try for Iga Bakar, tasty and affordable. edit
- Pecel Lele Lela, Jalan Prof. Dr. Suharso (Just a walk distance to the GOR Satria). The best 'Lele' option in town, with wide varieties of pecel lele dishes. edit
- Brasil Ice Cream and Coffee, Jalan Letjen. Suprapto no. 25 (Located in the bustling commercial district of Kebon Dalem, close to a number of fabulous department stores), ☎ (0281) 636896 (fax: (021) 6293831 - (021) 6288612). The most well-known ice cream and coffee place in town. Also offers wide varieties of Indonesian cuisines and desserts. edit
- Rumah Makan Kalibogor, Jalan Yos Sudarso no. 34 (Located in the gateway road from Jakarta or Tegal, approximately 5 minutes drive from the city square), . An old midrange restaurant in town. Best try for Ayam Goreng, delicious and affordable. edit
- Sae Niki, Jalan Masjid no. 8 (Just a walk distance north from the city square or Alun-Alun). The best Ayam Kampung Goreng option in town. Tasty and affordable. edit
- Obonk Steak, Jalan HR Bunyamin, Purwokerto City Walk (Across the Jenderal Sudirman University). Strategically located. Also one of the best steakhouse in town. edit
- Angkringan Tahu Kupat Pa'buaran, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University and Banyumas TV office), ☎ (0281) 627799, . A cafe-style restaurant that offers the beautiful view of rice fields in its surroundings. Also one of the best place to hangout in town. edit
- Cibiuk, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University, across the F2 Entertainment Center). One of the Sundanese option in town. Famous for its spicy sambal cibiuk. edit
- Phuket, Jalan HR Bunyamin no. 107 (A few meters north of the Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 634505. A newly-built Thai restaurant in town. edit
- Pringgading Restaurant, Jalan DI Panjaitan no. 217 (A few meters south Pasar Wage), ☎ (0281) 636372 ([email protected]), . A long-time well-known splurge restaurant in town. Plenty of wedding and events held here. edit
- Kabayan Restaurant, Jalan Jend. Sudirman no. 520 (right in the downtown, just a walk distance from Tamara Plaza, Rita Pasaraya, and Moro Mall), ☎ (0281) 636633, . A well-known Sundanese restaurant in town. Featuring live music on Saturday and Sunday nights. Also contains a karaoke box. edit
- Oemah Daun, Jalan KH Wahid Hasyim no. 101 & 103 (South of Andhang Pangrenan Park), ☎ (0281) 635169, . 10.00 AM - 2.00 AM. One of the best venue in town. Modern and chic interior design, wide varieties of dishes, and a perfect place for meeting, wedding, and events. edit
- Gubug Makan Mang Engking, Jalan HR Bunyamin (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 630088, . 14.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A luxury Sundanese restaurant, with a touch of garden restaurant with unique Sundanese's gubug design, beautiful ponds, and surrounded by the rice fields. edit
- MP Steak and Pancake, Jalan MT Haryono (Just a walk distance to Pasar Wage), . 11.00 AM - 23.00 PM. A unique Dutch-style restaurant. Best for steak and pancake. edit
- Asiatic Restaurant, Jalan HR Bunyamin no. 375 (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), . 9.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A well-known luxury restaurant. Best for Ikan Bakar. edit
- Lumbung Coffee and Resto, Jalan HR Bunyamin, across the Pabuaran Gas Station (North of the Jenderal Sudirman University). 10.00 AM - 22.00 PM. A perfect coffee place in town. Offers wide varieties of coffee and latte, ice cream, and Balinese cuisine. edit
- Furama Restaurant, Jalan Dr Angka, Permata Hijau Shophouses (Close to the city's best hotels and entertainment center), . 11.00 AM - 22.00 PM. One of the best splurge restaurant in town with wide varieties of Chinese and Cantonese dishes. edit
- @lounge, Jalan HR Bunyamin, 2nd floor of Asiatic Restaurant (North of Jenderal Sudirman University), ☎ (0281) 643000, . A newly-built lounge in a strategic place, best for pudding and cake. edit
- Meteor Cafe, Jalan Jend. Sudirman, Satria Plaza no. 1-2 (Right in the city center, just a walk distance to the business and shopping centers), ☎ (0281) 634234, . 10.00 AM - 22.00 PM. One of the best place in town for hangout, offers Italian, Chinese, Japanese cuisines and snacks. edit
- D'Garden Hall & Resto, Jalan Dr Soeparno Utara no 97 (head to the east from GOR Satria Purwokerto until junction, then turn left), ☎ (0281) 638375 ([email protected]), . 10 am until 10 pm. A well-known splurge / family restaurant in town. Plenty of wedding and events held here. Many choices of room to be booked edit
Wedang ronde is hot ginger drink with gluten rice balls, peanuts, jelly
Kebon Cafe is located at Jatiwinagun street. Good place to hangin around. lot of local musicians there.
- HotelPurwokerto.com, . More info Hotels in Purwokerto edit
- Hotel Borobudur, Jalan Yosodarmo 32, ☎ +62 281 635341, +62 281 637747. edit
- Hotel Mulia, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman no. 732 (right in the downtown, close to the market and commercial centers), . Strategically located in the downtown. Just a walk distance to markets, commercial centers, and tourist attractions. Zenith IDR 150,000, Diamond IDR 300,000. edit
- Hotel Anggrek, Jl. Dr. Suparno no. 100, ☎ (0281) 7606633. clean, quiet 90k-125k. edit
- Green Valley Resort Baturaden, Jl. Raya Baturaden km.8 Baturaden (8 km to the south to Purwokerto, 6 km to the north to resort-town Baturaden), ☎ +62-281-681123, . A newly-built 3 stars plus resort hotel with beautiful and stunning views of Baturaden. (",) edit
- Puri Wisata Hotel, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681331. Nice hotel in Baturaden, just a walk distance to plenty of tourist attractions. edit
- Hotel Rosenda Cottages, Jl. Raya Baturaden (located right in the resort-town of Baturaden, 14 km north of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681570, . A 3 stars hotel located in Baturaden, foot of Mount Slamet. edit
- Queen Garden Hotel Baturaden, Jl. Pariwisata Baturaden (located in Baturaden, a cool resort town and only 10 minutes to Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-681388, . One of the most famous 3 stars hotel in Baturaden. Offers the cool air of Baturaden and spectacular views of the city of Purwokerto and surrounding areas. Economy IDR 250,000, Suite IDR 1,395,000. edit
- Wisata Niaga Hotel, Jl. Merdeka no.5 Purwokerto (right in the downtown of Purwokerto), ☎ +62-281-642333. A modern-minimalist-styled business hotel. The building was formerly used as the branch office of an insurance company. Standard IDR 145,000, family IDR 275,000. edit
- Astro Hotel, Jl. Suparjo Rustam Km. 4 Sokaraja Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving south of the downtown, close to Atrium Hotel and Resort), ☎ +62-281-6844107, . checkin: 13.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. A transit three stars hotel in the outskirts, drive-in hotel style. Standard IDR 84,000, Deluxe IDR 175,000. edit
- Atrium Resort & Hotel, Jl. Soepardjo Rustam (Jl. Raya Sokaraja) (5 minutes drive from the downtown, close to Astro Hotel), ☎ +62-281-6844041, . A villa-styled hotel in the main road between Purwokerto and Sokaraja. Five minutes driving from the downtown Purwokerto. Standard IDR 330,000, deluxe IDR 495,000, suite IDR 715,000. edit
- Aston Imperium Hotel, Jl. Overste Isdiman no. 33 Purwokerto (right in the heart of the city), ☎ +62-281-628000, . A newly-built 12 floors 4 stars plus hotel with modern-contemporary architecture. Also offers Wi-Fi service, gym, pool, restaurants, meeting rooms, and spa. Deluxe IDR 590,000, Suite IDR 900,000. edit
- Horison Hotel, Jl. Dr. Angka no.71 Purwokerto (about 5 minutes driving north of the downtown, near to the main road to Baturraden), ☎ +62-281-634321, . A three stars comfortable resort-hotel. Standard IDR 440,000, family IDR 660,000k. edit
The code area for Purwokerto is - 0281
- Ambulance: ☎ 118
- Police: ☎ 110
- Fire Brigade: ☎ 113
- National Search and Rescue: ☎ 115
- Baturaden is a resort area on the southern slope of Gunung Slamet. Just 14 km from town center. Offers cool climate, hot springs, and nature attractions.
There is Angkot which service passenger from Purwokerto to Baturaden. Usually it stop at old terminal (kebondalem) Purwokerto. At Baturaden you can ride it until spring water bath (Pancuran Pitu) or you can reach it by foot from gate area. Don't forget to ask the driver if you want him to wait. Negotiate for fare first.
- Mersi, famous for kripik tempe,jenang jaket and many more of other traditional meals.
- Purbalingga, home for the famous Owabong Waterpark, Sanggaluri Park, and Purbayasa River World.
- Sokaraja, a transit town, famous for soto and gethuk goreng.
- Banyumas, a historical sleepy town, home for hundreds of Dutch and colonial buildings.
- Tambak, a district border with Kebumen, 1 hour with bus from the Purwokerto Bus Terminal for Rp 7,000. Tambak offer its famous Sate Bebek outlets along street. Price relatively cheap at Rp 10,000 (US $1)
- Cilacap on the south coast is sleepy fishing port. Growing industry city, such as Pertamina, Portland Cement, and new PLTU (coal energy source for electricity) Karangkandri.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!