Puerto Jimenez is in Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula and is the primary jumping off point for Corcovado National Park. The city itself is not the most attractive locale. However, the views from the waterfront across the Golfo Dulce are quite beautiful.
Buses leave daily from San José and pass through San Isidro de El General where passengers can also get on. Bus 699 leaves from San Jose at 6am and 12noon, taking about 10 hours to reach Puerto Jimenez. Bus 612 to Golfito can also be taken, which takes about 8 hours and leaves at 7am and 3pm.
A covered truck runs from Puerto Jimenez to Carate. It can take as long as 2-3 hours-- important to note if you are attempting to go from Pto. Jimenez to La Estacion Sirena in the same day, as it is a long trek and you need to be wary of the tide schedule.
Shuttle services leaves from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez at 5.00 am and 3.00 pm and from Manuel Antonio to Puerto Jimenez at 7.30 am and 1.00 pm in modern vans with A/C www.easyridecostarica.com
The ferry from Golfito to Puerto Jimenez takes about an hour and a half and runs twice daily. Schedule is random and subject to change. Price $2. There are also fast ferries available that can do the trip in about 30 minutes, the cost is $6. As of January 2014, the posted fast ferry schedule is as follows. From Puerto Jimenez to Golfito there are fast ferries at 6am (2 boats), 11:30am, and 2pm. There are return ferries at 10am, 11:30am, 1pm, and 3:15pm. The posted phone numbers are 8802-5705, 8756-6460, and 8632-8672. The schedule can change so best to email your accommodations for the most current one. According to locals, the boat leaves early if it is full so it is best to be at the dock early. Also, the bus stop for the dock isn't exactly obvious. You don't want to take the Golfito bus all the way to the last stop (though if you do it's a short $0.50 ride on a local back to the dock). The location of the fast ferry dock in Golfito is approximately 200m SE along route 14 from the Escuela San Francisco [] If you can't find it, ask around, a local should be able to point you in the right direction. The ferries dock at the main pier in Puerto Jimenez NW of the airport.
A small airport in Puerto Jimenez is serviced by SANSA, and TravelAir/NatureAir. These flights generally run once or twice daily coming from San Jose and cost around $130. See the respective air services for schedule detail.
- Scarlet Macaws. This is a prime viewing spot.
- Swimming. People swim in the calm waters off Puerto Jimenez and there are some pretty beaches nearby.
- Sunset. You can't miss a sunset in Golfo Dulce. Try sea kaking.
- Dolphins and whales. Golfo Dulce's warm waters are the home of dolphins and many humpback whales give birth in here.
- Monkeys. In Puerto Jimenez you have the opportunity to see all 4 kinds that live in Costa Rica.
Puerto Jimenez is a small town but offers a lot of things to do:
- Sea kayaking Adventure in Puerto Jimenez, .
- Mangrove Forest Exploration.
- Bike trips.
- Bird watching.
- Jungle hikes.
- Paradise beaches.
- horse back riding.
- Dolphin observation trips.
- Il Giardino Italian Restaurant, (200 m north from Banco Nacional, 50 m west), ☎ ++ 506 2 735 51 29, . 5PM-10PM. Great Italian restaurant. Serves the most traditional Italian recipes and original creations of the Chef Giulio. Seafood is always a first choice. The end of week sushi is often present, depending by the availability of fresh tuna. Quiet ambiance, soft music, no TV. Budget menu 5,000C. edit
- Bolita Rainforest Hostel, Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre (14 kilometers from Puerto Jimenez. Micro bus at 11 am, and 4 pm. at Super 96. No weekend service.), . checkin: before 5:00 pm; checkout: 5:00 pm.. You stay in the rainforest right beside Corcovado Park. It's a 30 minute walk, into the jungle, from the Town of Dos Brazos. 14 kilometers of self-guided hiking trails on the 61 hectare property included with your stay, also full kitchen facilities, bedding, mosquito net. No electricity makes it even better! $12 pp/n. edit
- Cabinas The Corner, Puntarenas Province, Puerto Jiménez, ☎ +506 273 55328, . Nice hostel running by a older lady. Clean and good deal if you don't mind the 5am rooster wakeup call. edit
- Casa Bella, Playa Preciosa (10 minute drive from airport in Puerto Jimenez). Casa Bella is a unique house bordered by the jungle and a minutes stroll from one of the most pristine and secluded beaches in Costa Rica. While relaxing on the wrap around deck, you can relish in a book as monkeys swing by and toucans perch at eye level. Can accommodate up to 14 people if necessary. edit
- Lapa Rios Eco Lodge, ☎ +506-2735-5130, . All inclusive. Set in a private nature reserve. 16 private bungalows built above the sea. Winner of numerous sustainability and eco lodge awards. Full service spa. Many on-site and off-site activities. edit
- Lapa's Garden Retreat Rental Home, 10 min n. of Puerto Jimenez (Located in rainforest with ocean views), ☎ +508-714-0622, . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 9AM.. Lapa’s Garden Retreat Vacation Home Rental – Weekly Vacation Home Rental 3 Br / 2 Bth / Ocean View. Osa Peninsula Honeymoon Suite rents for 4 day minimum at $750 sleeps 2. The entire home sleeps 6-8 and can be rented for as low as $1200 per week. Great birdwatching, Congo , Whiteface and Titi Monkeys come right up to the house. Lots of rainforest trails to hike on. They can also help you with domestic airfare, transportation to Osa, and eco tours in and around the Osa Peninsula near Corcovado National Park. (9,) edit
- Corcovado Treehouse Costa Rica, 1200 Calle de Playa Terrones 7 Level Treehouse Sleeps 9 Barrio Bonito, Agujas Town Puntarenas, Peninsula de Osa, Punto Jimenez, 60702, ☎ +506 837 83013, . Treehouse resort style rental wit private pool, hiking trails, 24/7 caretaker. On 120 acres with only three other homes. High above the Gulfo Dulce with both rainforest and ocean views. Sleeps six to eight in queen and king beds. Six levels 50 feet in the air wrapped around a giant guanacaste tree (the national symbol of Costa Rica). Totally furnished. edit
- Bus - Buses to San José, via San Isidro de El General run only twice daily, once in the early morning and again in the afternoon from the bus station located on the northwest side of town.