Prætsø Fjord with the towns marina in the background
Small in size, but rich on history; Præstø on Southern Zealand is a picturesque ancient merchant borough dating back to the 14th century, at the bottom of a small fjord of the same name. It makes for a worthwhile excursion if you're in the area.
The last train has long since made it's final trip to Præstø, so you'll either need your own wheels or jump on a bus, which is a fairly infrequent occurrence, so plan ahead.
Buses 78 and 79 runs from Næstved which has frequent train services to Copenhagen. Another, more combersome option from the capital is Bus 91 from Faxe which has train services on the Østbanen from Køge which is on the end of the E S-train line. Bus 63 connects with Vordingborg further south on the same railway line as Næstved, so use this if you are heading south towards the islands (Lolland-Faster). Line 256 is your choice for going onwards to Møn as it ends in Stege, the islands largest city.
If you have your own wheels, simply follow the Sydmotorvejen motorway (E47/E55) to either exit 38 (Tappernøje) or exit 39 (Bårse) and turn east, it's well signposted - the former is the most picturesque as it will take you along the fjord.
- Rødeled Pottery (Pottemageriet Rødeled), Rødeledvej 1 (In the west end of town, take bus 79 to Rødeledvej Stop), ☎ +45 5599 1031 ([email protected]). This workshop and museum is the oldest pottery in Denmark. Free. edit
- Nysø Manor Park (Nysø Slotspark), Nysøvej 3 (In the northwest end of town). Nysø is a beautiful old mansion from 1673, build as one the first baroque buildings in the country by a local merchant. Thorvaldsens small white atalier (see below) is still found in the park. Entrance to the building is summer only, and only to the museum wing. 10 DKK. edit
- Thorvaldsens Museum Nysø, Nysøvej 5, ☎ +45 55 37 25 54, . 1 May-31 August only; Tu-Fr 14-17,Sa-Su 11-17. One of Denmark's few blockbuster artists; sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770-1844) spent his final years here, and had a atelier provided by the baron and baroness. The collection, which is housed in one of the wings, includes many works from his time on Nysø Manor. 20 Kr. (55.126214,12.03130) edit
- Det Gamle Rådhus (Old Townhall), Torvet 10. Sa-Su 11AM-3PM. Locals are working to convert the now disused townhall into a cultural center. Thus far, the efforts have resulted in a exhibition of naturalistic landscape painting of the surrounding countryside by Ole Ring (1902-1972). (55.123502,12.043937) edit
- Café Bernhard, Adelgade 41, ☎ +45 55 99 19 20, . The local activity centre with theatre, temporary exhibits, concerts, cinema and a café (55.121444,""12.040447) edit
- Fjordkaperen (Præstæ Fjord cruises), ☎ +45 55 90 91 92, . Three daily trips on the fjord between Feddet and Præstø in week 27 to 32. The route lives on yearly grants, so check ahead of it runs. edit
- Præstø Kanoudlejning (Canoe rental), Havnevej 1, ☎ +45 27 85 29 19, . Canoe rentals for sailing in the fjord. Safe 530cm sink free canoes for up to three adults, rent includes life jackets and map 3 hours 300 Kr, full day 500 Kr. (55.123880,212.040957") edit
- Sólfari, Præstøvej 140, Mosebølle (7km north along the fjord), ☎ +45 40 40 55 80, . Horse riding with Icelandic horses also have an activity centre with peashooter and air-rifle shooting, archery and paint ball.. (55.187021,12.07041) edit
- Kalvehave Labyrintpark (Labyrinth park), Hovvejen 12 (leave Præstø and go south towards Møn on Mønvej. After 10 minutes you will see the labyrinth park on the right hand right next to the road), ☎ +45 5534 4771, . Open all days during the summer holidays 10AM-6PM, rest of the year check for opening hours. Although the park is not big, it is quite interesting and you easily spend half a day there. They have labyrinths and large puzzels outside and a room indside with smaller puzzels and mind games. They sell sandwiches and ice cream, but also have a picnic area if you want to bring your own food. Kids (3-12) 50 Kr, adults 60 Kr. edit
Adelgade is the main shopping street
- Retail stores. Almost all of the retail stores in the town is placed in the centre of town on Adelgade which runs east-west parallel to the seafront, one street up. This includes a music store, several fashion shops, sports equipment, combined optician, jewelery and watch shop, a delicatesse store, electric erquipment, household equipment etc.
- Grocery Stores. The town has four grocery stores, Aldi (on Vesterbro as you enter the town from the west), SuperBest and Netto (both placed on Svend Gynges torv in the centre of town. Right next to the bus terminal) and Fakta (on Østerbro east of the town centre). Because of the close proximity to a harbour they are allowed to be open 7 days a week during the tourist season. SuperBest also houses a bakery with individual opening hours (opens early in the morning).
- Café [email protected], Havnepladsen (on the harbour), ☎ 55943132, . 10.00-21.00 (fri. & sat. 23.00. Sun. open 9.00). Combined café and restaurant with live music during summer. Seating both inside and outside right on the harbour front edit
- kaktus III, Adelgade 45, ☎ +45 9955 1246. lunch and dinner. Family type resaurant with a kids friendly menu placed in the center of town right off the main street in a small plaza One course 50-150 DKK. edit
- Sweet & Coffee, Adelgade 48 (Right in the middle of town.), ☎ 55945010, . This is a cafe with lots of teas and coffee, home made cake and ice cream. They played 1930s 1940s American music when we visited. Very nice. edit
- Keegans, Havnepladsen 8, ☎ +45 55 37 47 20, . M-Th 13-23,F-Sa 13-01, Su 13-01. Sportsbar with occasional live music (55.124082,12.041992) edit
- Café [email protected], Havnepladsen (On the harbour), ☎ +45 5594 3132, . 10.00-21.00 (fri. sat. 23.00. Sun. open 9.00. Café with occasional live music edit
- Torvecaféen, Torvestræde 5. Traditional danish bar. edit
- Sussis Bodega, Adelgade 43, ☎ +45 5599 2058. Traditional danish bar edit
- Christinelund Feriecenter, Christinelundsvej 36, ☎ +45 24 61 19 05, . Vacation Centre in an old manor from 1850. Has teamed up with other local outfits to provide horse riding, canoeing and sailing as part of stays here. 350-600 Kr. (55.119459,12.075316) edit
- Fjordkroen, Bækkeskovstræde 23, Tappernøje, ☎ +45 55 96 58 10, . Newly renovated Inn, some would argue a bit too thoroughly, with great views over the fjord, but a fair bit away from the town itself. Rooms with private patios to enjoy the view, and a camping ground (which seems to be full year layovers only though). There is a nice beach nearby, 1790 Kr. (55.168151,12.03292) edit
- Hotel Frederiksminde, Klosternakken 8, ☎ +45 55 90 90 30, . Impeccably renovated "old world" hotel from 1870. Amazing views of over the fjord, B&O televisions in the rooms, paintings, hunting trophees and professional staff. The on-site restaurant serves fresh local produce, in a nice light conservatory with sea view. 995-1895 Kr. (55.124242,12.048832) edit
- Kirsebærkroen, Kirsebærvej 1, ☎ +45 55 99 39 55, . Built in 1780, this intimate B&B in a white half timbered house with thatched roof, offers 'mini apartments' with kitchenettes and a small attached patio with table and chair. 345-495 Kr. (55.126099,12.066808) edit
- Sweet & Coffee, Adelgade 48 (Middle of town.), ☎ 55945010, . They have prices on their web site & pictures. The rooms are above the café and share a bathroom, large kitchen, living room and terrace out back. The very friendly manager speaks English & German. You can park your bikes around the back. He gave us coffee & tea for breakfast, everything else we fetched from the supermarket just down the road. edit
Præstø Tourist information (just by Frederiksminde Anlæg).
Address: Klosternakken 8.
Phone: +45 5590 9192
Only open during summer (22/6 - 21/8 for 2010)
Tue-fri: 10-16, Sat: 10-14, Sun-Mon: closed
Præstø is part of the Vordingborg municipality which offers a common tourist web site: http://www.visitvordingborg.dk
Post Office. The city post office is placed indside the SuperBest Grocery store. It is open mon-fri: 10.00-17.00.
Café [email protected] and the harbour offers free Internet connection as WiFi network.
Præstø is placed 20 minutes by car from Vordingborg, Næstved and Møn. Vordingborg and Næstved are larger cities with more shopping opportunities and an old center of town.
The island Møn has a lot to offer. The main city is Stege with great shopping opportunities, but Møn is most famous for the great nature it has to offer. Møns klint is imressive white chalk cliffs rising from the sea. Ulfshale is a large area with spendid nature, forest and marches, with and a lot of rare birds.