Postojna (Italian: Postumia) is a town in the Coast and Karst region of Slovenia, pronounced in Slovenian as [post-oy-nah] and [post-oo-myah] in Italian.
By car, Postojna is about one hour west of Ljubljana on the A1 highway. There are also train and bus connections with Ljubljana. The bus station is closer to the caves than the train station.
A free shuttle does run between the train station, Postojna Caves and the Predjama Castle during peak seasons. The caves are a short walk from the bus station. The castle is 9 km away and a difficult walk up hill along a windy road with no foot paths (it is quite picturesque though). Driving is the easiest route but hitchhiking may also be possible during tourist season.
Predjama Castle emerging from its cave
The main attractions of the area are all run by the same agency. The prices below are if you tour each attraction separately. Some of the attractions can be bundled together to reduce the cost of admission -- the Visitor's Information Center at the Postojna Caves have more information.
- Postojna Caves (Italian: Grotte di Postumia), +386 5 7000 100 (e-mail: [email protected]), . Open every day. Containing 20 km of underground galleries, chambers and corridors, up to 50 meters high in places. Tours begin with a train journey into the cave system through several chambers before visitors get off and do a guided walk through stalagmite studded caverns. The train then returns you to the surface. The whole tour lasts 90 minutes. Tall travelers beware - the cave ceiling is very low in many parts of the train journey with sharp protrusions from the cave walls, and the train runs quite fast, so keep all bodily limbs (and children) well inside the moving vehicle! Other longer and more strenuous tours ("Underground Adventures") are available to groups of 2-50 people. The caves are damp and chilly (10 C year round) so appropriate shoes and clothing should be worn. €18/10.80 adult/child. Start of guided tours is at 10.00, 12.00, 14.00 from October to April and on every hour on the hour between 9.00 and 18.00 from May to September.
- Predjama Castle (Italian: Castel Lueghi), located in the village of Predjama 9 km north of Postojna - follow the signs from Postojna (contact details are the same as Postojna Caves). A remarkable looking castle that looks like it is growing out of a cave. Home to the legendary medieval knight of Erazem Predjamski who was besieged in this castle for several months for tax evasion. It did not end well for Erazem, but the legend was started. Located 9 km away from Postojna. You can tour the castle and the caves below it. €7/4.20 adult/child for either the castle or the caves, €12/7.20 to do both.
- Adventure park Postojna, Jamska cesta (Beside Postojna cave), . A unique forest adventure full of swing bridges, ladders, climbing nets, ropes and zip wires! With just a little encouragement, everyone can defeat the 78 different challenges, suspended high from trees in a huge forest park area right next to the famous Postojna cave. edit
- Restaurant Erasmus, Kazarje 10 (6230 Postojna), ☎ +386 5 700 22 00; e-mail: [email protected], . Restaurant Erasmus offers a rich culinary offer and a pleasant ambient. It offers international dishes, slovene dishes, different pasta and risotto, pizzas and salad bar. Try out knights' feast where staff dresses you in medieval attire and serves medieval dishes, such as lamb, hare and chicken. Restaurant serves specialties of Dalmatian, Hungarian, Italian and Chinese cuisine. It's terrace offers a wonderful panoramic view. You can choose from daily meals for only 5.50 €. edit
Hotels around Postojna cost €60 to €100 per night for two people staying in a double room in a 3-star hotel. There are no 4-star (or higher) hotels in the region (as of 2007). The prices for hostels are significantly lower. Some hotels publish their prices per person but rather than per room, thus if you want to book a double room you may be quoted a price of €35, which means the room actually costs €70 per night for two people staying in it (2 x €35 = €70).
- Hotel Jama, Jamska Cesta 28, +386 5 700 01 00. Hotel located next to the caves. Rooms are clean but basic, not all rooms have TV. Price includes breakfast. €41 per person with TV, €36 per person if no TV (summer season rates).
- Pivka jama Tourist Colony and Campground, Veliki Otok 50 (4 km northwest of town, drive past the caves and follow the signs), +386 5 720 39 93 (fax: +386 5 726 53 48, email: [email protected]), . Campground in a pine forest near the Pivka cave. It has 300 sites for camping and a number of 4 bed bungalows, in addition to an outdoor pool, tennis courts and restaurant. €10.30 per person for camping, €79 for a bungalow (summer season rates).
- Wild Camping. You can wild camp in Postojna, just across from the Caves. Walk across the road from the caves, under the bridge, and you will see a nice quiet river. Go through the cave parking area and into a green field. Walk to the back and there is a good spot for safe camping right next to the river. edit
- Hotel Epicenter***, Kazarje 10 (6230 Postojna), ☎ +386 5 700 22 00; e-mail: [email protected], . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 10.00. Hotel Epicenter is located on the western edge of Postojna, only 2 km from the world-famous Postojna Cave. Epicenter complex also includes the Erasmus Restaurant, bowling centre, wellness and fitness centre, congress hall, beach with sports and bar. All rooms have air conditioning, single and double beds of 220 cm length, cable TV programmes, LCD TV and free wireless Internet connection. Hotel has also apartments with modern kitchen. Bed and breakfast from 34 €. edit
- Hotel Sport***, Kolodvorska ulica 1 (6230 Postojna), ☎ +386 5 720 22 44; e-mail: [email protected], . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 10.00. Hotel Sport WITH 3* offers modern & comfortable accommodation. Together there are 125 beds. It is located near the centre of Postojna town and is only 1 km from the natural attraction Postojna cave, which is one of the most famous caves in the world. It is specialized for cycling which means it offers all the amenities necessary to the cyclists (supervised bicycle storage, rent a bike, guided cycling tours in MTB park Notranjska - with a guide, GPS or book guide, suitable food,....). There is also a smaller wellness center with finish sauna. Bed and breakfast from 32 €. edit
- Hotel Kras****, Tržaška cesta 1 (6230 Postojna), ☎ +386 5 700 23 00; e-mail: [email protected], . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 11.00. The architecturally modern and exclusively furnished hotel Kras with 4* radiates its prestige in the immediate vicinity of the world-famous natural sight Postojna Cave. The hotel situated in the very centre of the town offers 24 double rooms and 3 superior suites located on the top of the hotel. Their expanding terrace offers a wonderful view of the plateau Nanos and town surroundings.All rooms and suites are equipped with air conditioning, LCD cable television, telephone, wireless internet, mini bar and safe. Plentiful self-service breakfast with homemade goodies and wide choice of warm beverages will satisfy different tastes of hotel guests.On the topmost floor of Kras Hotel there is an air conditioned congress room with maximum capacity of 70 people. Bed and breakfast from 44 €. edit
Moving on from Postojna, Divača and the Škocjan Caves are about 25 km southwest along the A1. Further along the A1 are the Slovenian coastal towns of Koper, Izola, Piran and Portorož, and the Italian city of Trieste (direction Sežana).
The highway south of town leads to Rijeka in Croatia, providing access to the Kvarner and Istria regions of the country...