Porto de Galinhas is a town in Pernambuco, in northeastern Brazil.
Porto de Galinhas is a small beach town, very popular as a weekend getaway for people from nearby Recife. The area is stunningly beautiful with amazing reefs. Hotels range from cozy "pousadas" to five-star resorts. Do not miss nearby Maracaípe.
The closest airport is in Recife/Guarapes, some 60 Km north of Porto de Galinhas. The bus company Cruzeiro (tel. 0800 81 2662 or 81 2101 9000) operates busses (ônibus) from Recife center to Porto de Galinhas from 4.45am until 10.30pm. These busses stop at Recife Airport.
From Recife, local buses and taxis make the trip to Porto, as locals call it. The bus company Cruzeiro (tel. 0800 81 2662 or 81 2101 9000) operates busses (ônibus) from Recife center to Porto de Galinhas from 4.45am until 10.30pm. Journey by bus takes around 2 hours to 2 hours 30 minutes and stops at the airport and several other locations in Recife. The bus costs R$6.70. It is not air-conditionned. If the bus is full you will have to stand for the trip. The bus terminal in Porto de Galinhas is next to the gas station o posto at the end of the Rua de Esperança, the main street of Porto de Galinhas. At the other end of the Rua de Esperança is the praçinha (little plaza), the city center on the beach and near the tide pools.
Porto de Galinhas is about 330 km from Natal, 800 km from Salvador, 2.300 km from Rio de Janeiro and 2.800 km from Sao Paulo.
The town is small and easily navigable on foot. Buggys are available for rent at the village with or without driver which present a great alternative to traditional car rental.
Bustling beach town in summer, lots of dining places, local "churrascarias" (barbecue) and good seafood. Lots of beach activities in the area. Amongst them, visits to the "piscinas naturais" in a jangada, a local raft tour to the nearby reefs, where sea water makes natural ponds, and lots of different fish can be seen.
If lucky enough you might attend a sea turtle birth at full moon in midsummer, plan for a full moon stay.
Note that the beautiful reefs are only available at very low tide, for about two hours a day. Ask for information at travel agency or tourism information center for the recommended days and hours to visit reefs.
- Buggy tours (Assoc.Prop.e Condutores de Bugue), ☎ 81 3552 1930. edit
- Take a trip on a little boat in the lagoon and swim with the fish (take some kind of footwear as the rocks are sharp!).
- Walk to nearby Maracaipe and watch the surfers.
- Find a spot on the beach, order shrimp and beer, sit back and relax.
- In the beach point Pontal do Maracaipe local kitesurfers can be seen. For the more adventurous, classes on this sport are available as well.
- Visit beautiful Praia Dos Carneiros. White sandy, cristal clear water beach located south of Porto de Galinhas, very near Tamandaré. Can be reached by boat trip.
- Catamara Cavalo Marino, ☎ 81 3552 2180 or 8811 7393, . Hire a boat and get to Ilha de Santo Aleixo. Caribbean-style Island front of Toquinho beach (south of Porto de Galinhas). Ideal for snorkelling and swimming. The excursion takes up to 6 hours. edit
- Scuba diving (Mergulhão Scuba), located at various hotels. Explore the natural reef by scuba diving while you're there. These guys will come pick you up at your hotel (which ever one in a 6 miles radius) and take you to explore the natural ponds. A great experience. edit
- Project Hippocampus, Pontal de Maracaipe, . edit
- VIC Safari Adventures, ☎ 81 3562 1172, 9255 0370 or 8742 3540. VIC Safaris Adventures operates off-road jeep tours to the rural attractions of Porto de Galinha, with visits of old sugar cane mills, swimming under a waterfall and seeing of animals, like sloths. edit
The shops in the pedestrian zone in the center of town offer local crafts and clothing as well as beach equipment.
Don't leave Porto de Galinhas before trying traditional tapioca.
- Barcaxeira, (on the corner of Pracinha). The name is a mixture of barco (boat) and macaxeira (sweet cassava). The speciality of Barcaxeira is macaxeira gratinada, baked mashed cassava with meat and cheese. R$20. edit
- Beijupirá. Expensive but delicious. The speciality of the restaurant is beijupirá (filet of cobia). They serve lobster and shrimp dishes as well. Menus are available in English, German, Italian and Finnish. R$50. edit
- Carne-de-Sol da Cunha - Excellent meat for a good price. One dish serves two people.
- Peixe na Telha, Rua das Piscinas Naturais (100 meters from the Pracinha). Seafood at the seaside. "Telha" is a curved clay tile used to roof houses. The speciality of Peixe na Telha is a fish baked in this clay tile. The restaurant is accessible from the road or from the beach. It provides a free shower for people coming for dinner directly from the beach. For R$5 to 15 they guard valuables during the meal. The restaurant is directly in front of the natural tide pools. R$20 to 30. edit
- Tio Dadá - In the town center 50 meters from the natural pools.
There are many bars and restaurants here to serve the weekend party crowd. It isn't hard to find a place for a drink along the beach, on either of the two main roads, or from a number of stands set up at night where the two main roads connect near the beach. Sometimes it is possible to see and even participate in an impromptu drum circle at this intersection on weekend evenings.
Hotels range from cozy "pousadas" to top-quality five-star resorts (Nanai and Summerville). Especially at weekends the city center will be very loud. The streets around the Pracinha are full of party-goes and the bands play on the streets in front of the pousadas. Especially Pousada Benedita and Pousada Marakatu are only a few meters away from the street parties. Room prices in one of the posadas at the city center start at R$50.
- Casa Amarela, Praça 18. edit
- Hotel Pontal de Ocaporã, Sitio costa tropicana - Lote 182, ☎ +55 (81) 3552-5000, . The first hotel of Porto de Galinhas. Litterally on the beach, which is also one of the region's safest ones for swimming. Great for kids, with a whole staff just for them. edit
- Pousada Beira Mar, (In the town center right on the beach). Good service by the two Swiss owners. edit
- Pousada da Benedita, Rua da Esperanca 85, ☎ +55 81 3552 1343. checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. centre, 60m from the main beach, cheap and clean little hotel, perfect location! Doubles R$ 80-150. edit
- Pousada Doce Cabana. This pousada is situated in a quiet residential area about 15 minutes walk fromn the city center. It has a pool with a swim-in sauna and provides full breakfast and free internet service to guests. They have English speaking staff and English speaking drivers on call for excursions. edit
- Pousada da Preguiça, . edit
- Pousada Recanto do Lobo. Ideal for families. edit
- Pousada Sonhos do Porto, . Very cozy and amiable staff. Very nice service and hosting. Can host parties of up to 8 people per apartment. edit
- Pousada Tabajuba, . Ideal for honeymooners! This cosy little pousada is just the best when you want to spend a lovely honeymoon. The staff will make sure that you feel like you're in a little piece of paradise. When there, be sure to try the massage therapy, it's the best! edit
- Pousada Tabapitanga, Pontal da praia do Cupe, . Great both for couples with and without kids. Maybe the best feature of this Pousada, along with it's being on the beach, is the food! Be sure to order the lobster, it's a speciality! edit
- Pousada Villa delle Rose, Rua manuel Uchôa (20 steps from the beach). This pousada provides a friendly, quiet atmosphere within five minutes walk from the center. The rooms are sparsely furnished, but have a minibar. The proprietor, Rose, speaks English. edit
- Backpackers Porto de Galinhas, Rua da Esperança 800, ☎ 81-35522775 - 88590488. checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Hostel located on Rua da Esperanca 10 minutes from the beach and has a supermarket Arco Iris across the street. The propietor of the hostel is a surfer and speaks English. 25 Shared bed 100 for private rooms. edit
- Che Lagarto Porto de Galinhas, Praça 11, 19, ☎ (81) 3552-1144, . Che Lagarto Hostel Porto de Galinhas offers comfort, facilities and good vibe. The Hostel is located from blocks from Porto center, where you can find restaurants, shops, supermarkets, tourist agencies and banks, and also its 4 blocks from the beach. edit
Within walking distance on the beach to the south is the smaller town of Maracaipe. If you want to get away from the noise it is a quiet place. Further south the "Recanto do Cavalo Marinho", is a protected area for seahorse breeding. A local "jangada" can take you as well.
Beaches further south are also beautiful, but harder to access. Praia dos Carneiros, Toquinho, Serrambi are some of the options.
- Maceio: To go there by Bus, take a combi (van) from the main gas station in the center for R$2 to Ipojuca (about 45 minutes to get there); they leave every 15minutes or so. Ask to be let out at Parada de Cabo (or just say Maceio Onibus); once dropped off, cross the street to the bus-stop facing the opposite direction and at around 12 to 12:45pm a bus arrives originating from Recife that will take you all the way to Maceio. It will be labeled RECIFE / MACEIO. Takes anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to arrive, depending on stops, flat tires, etc.