Pollachi (Tamil: பொள்ளாச்சி) is a town and a municipality close to the foothills of Western Ghats in Tamil Nadu, 40 km south of Coimbatore. It is picture perfect for the nomenclature — Mini Kodaikanal. Though prominently known for cash crops, coconuts and second biggest ‘sandhai’ (market) in the country, the town has now become famous for cinema shootings and consequently a huge tourist attraction. Next to Coimbatore, Pollachi is the leading town in the district and an important commercial centre.
Due to its proximity to the Western Ghats, Pollachi has a pleasant climate throughout the year. It is one of the very few places in India to enjoy both North-East and South-West Monsoon seasons significantly. Temperature may never exceed 35 degree celcius even during summer.
Coimbatore airport is the nearest international airport to Pollachi - approximately 60 km. There are direct flights to Singapore by SilkAir and Sharjah by Air Arabia. Domestic airlines fly to Chennai, Bangalore, New Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad and other Indian cities.
Pollachi is well connected to coimbatore by government and private buses. The bus frequency is about 3-5 minutes. NH 209 (Dindigul - Palani - Udumalaippettai - Pollachi - Coimbatore - Annur - Satyamangalam - Hasanur up to Karnataka Border) passes through pollachi town and the journey duration between Coimbatore and Pollachi is about 45 minutes. Bus fare: INR 25 in ordinary and, Rs.35 in express (limited stop) buses.
There is a direct train service from Chennai to Pollachi via Palani (Palani Express). As on Aug 2015, Pollachi-Palakkad and Pollachi-Coimbatore broad gauge conversion work is still in progress and it may take another 3-6 months for completion. Besides Pollachi Junction, Coimbatore Junction is the nearest major railway station and it is approximately 42 km from Pollachi.
Taxis will be the viable option, especially if you are planning to get off now and then, take pictures and enjoy the scenery. Though there are lot of tourist taxis and buses, it may not be easy to find one when movie shootings happen in the town or during peak seasons. It is advisable to book your cab in advance and ask your tour guide or cab driver to pick you from Coimbatore Railway station, Airport, Bus terminal
Tamil is the most prevalent language but basic English is spoken in most tourist places. As it is located pretty close to kerala border, most business name boards and buses displays Tamil, Malayalam and English languages.
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
- Topslip (Anamalai Tiger Reserve) - Topslip is a part of Anamalai Tiger Reserve (formerly called Anamalai Wildlife Sanctuary, Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary) is located at about 37 km from Pollachi town. It is Separated from the Nilgiri Hills by the Palghat Gap on the north, Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary (Kerala) to its west and to the Eravikulam National Park (Kerala) and Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary to its south. There are many places of natural and scenic beauty in the Anamalai Tiger Reserve. Some of them are Karianshola, Anaikunthi Shola, groves, waterfalls, teak forests, reservoirs and dams. Van safari and Elephant safari is offered in the park. If you are visiting the park for the day, you can go directly to Top Slip (Entry INR 50). The Sethumadai checkpost is the entry point to Top Slip. But if you plan to stay at Top Slip, please book accommodation in advance by confirming and sending a DD to The Wildlife Warden Office, 178 Meenkarai Rd, Pollachi. Phone: 04259 222535 (Open Monday to Friday between 9 am to 5 pm). Last minute accommodation is only available for VIPs, government officials and other foreigners, in most cases.
- Parambikulam Tiger Reserve - Lying adjacent to the Indira Gandhi Wild Life Sanctuary, the 285 sq km stretch of forest known as Parambikulam Tiger Reserve (formerly Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary) is one of Kerala’s premier wildlife reserves. Though this place is a part of Kerala, this place is accessible only from Pollachi. This park is open throughout the year but it is better if you avoid visiting the park during monsoon season (June - August). Thunakadavu is the headquarters of the sanctuary and is 48 km from Pollachi. A variety of accommodation options are availale in Parambikulam such as Tented Niche, Tree Top Hut, Honey Comb Complex, Island Next etc. Accommodation can be reserved through the Range Officer, Thunakadavu. Rooms at the Thunakadavu PWD Resthouse and the Tamilnadu Government Inspection Bungalow can be booked through the Junior Engineer, Tamilnadu PWD, Parambikulam.
- Valparai - Popularly known as Cherrapunji of South India, Valparai remains somewhat untouched. It has an average elevation of 1193 metres (3914 feet) and is located 65 km away from Pollachi. It is concentrated with Tea and Coffee estates owned mostly by private tea companies, a large part of the area is out of bounds for tourists. Interestingly, the Govt. of Tamil Nadu with the assistance of the Govt. of India has taken initiatives to promote tourism and develop infrastructure such as hotels, amusement parks etc to attract visitors. Other important places to visit around Valparai are Balaji temple, Chitti Vinayagar Temple, Sholayar Dam, Koolangal River, Neerar Dam, Nallamudi Poonjolai valley view and various tea estates.
- Aaliyar Dam - Aliyar (ஆழியார் azhiyar) Dam is a reservoir located 27 KM away from pollachi on the foothills of Valparai, in the Anamalai range of the Western Ghats. The dam offers some ideal getaways including a park, an aquarium and a mini Theme-Park maintained by Tamilnadu Fisheries Corporation. It is an ideal picnic spot. If you are taking public transport, take Town bus (route number 37A and 37B) or take a bus to Navamalai or Valparai and get down at Aaliyar Dam.
- Aliyar Ashram - It is the home of the Vethathiri Maharishi Kundalini Yoga and Kayakalpa Research Foundation, founded by Shri Vethathiri Maharishi in 1985. In a beautiful natural setting at the foothills of the Western Ghats and in view of the Aliyar reservoir, the Temple of Consciousness is the focus for a silent revolution, transforming the lives of thousands of people, irrespective of creed, color, race, religion or nationality. Vethathiri Maharishi Institute for Spiritual and Intuitional Education is a unique Institution which provides residential spiritual education. The Temple is an architectural beauty, built in the shape of vernacular OM and so it is known as Omkara Mandapam.
- Monkey Falls - Monkey Falls is located at the 29th KM junction on the Pollachi-Valparai road. An entry fee of INR 15 per head must be paid at the check post located along Aaliyar - Monkey Falls route.
- Masani Amman Temple - Masani Amman Temple is situated at a distance of 15 km from Pollachi. This sanctified shrine attracts large number of devotees. Here, one can see Goddess Masani Amman in the lying posture. The idol has four hands, two hands placed on the ground, two hands raised above. While the top left hands hold a skull and snake and other two hands holding drum and a trident.
- The Pollachi Market - Pollachi is famed for its market (சந்தை), especially for Jaggery and cattle (மாட்டுச்சந்தை). The Jaggery Market in Pollachi is Asia's biggest Jaggery Market. All buses that go towards Anaimalai, Sethumadai, Kaliapuram, Meenakshipuram, Govindhapuram go through this place. Alight at railway station bus stop.
- Thirumoorthy Hills - Thirumoorthy Hills is located at about 50 Kms from Pollachi and 20 kms from Udumalpet. A perennial stream flows by the side of Sri Amaralingeswarar temple and nearby there is Thirumoorthy falls. Thirumoorthy Dam is just adjacent to this place.
- Amaravathy Dam - This place is 20 kms from Thirumoorthy dam. One must take the left road near Chinnar check-post (Tamilnadu side) along Udumalpet - Munnar road, to reach this place. The Amaravathy Sagar Crocodile Farm, established in 1975, was once the largest crocodile nursery in India is nearby. However, due to poor maintenance and lack of facilities, only a few crocodiles are now alive.
- Boating at Aliyar, Amaravathi and Thirumoorthy Dams
- Trekking at Topslip, Parambikulam, Valparai
- Elephant Safari/Van Safari in Topslip and Parambikulam
- Wildlife & Nature Photography
- Abhirami Hotel, Palakkad Road. (04259) 226685
- Anandabhavan Hotel, Venkatramanan Street. (04259) 224483
- Anjali Hotel, Palakkad Road. (04259) 224311
- A R Bakes & Restaurant, Coimbatore Road
- Arun Hotel, New Scheme Road.
- Ashok Hotel, Coimbatore Road. (04259) 224483
- Gowri Krishna Hotel & Restaurant, New Scheme Road.
- Hotel Amuthasurabi, Coimbatore Road
- Samson Hotel, Palakkad Road. (04259) 226453
- Sakthi Hotel, Coimbatore Road
- S.P. Hotel, Coimbatore Road. (04259) 231064
- Surya Hotel, Palakkad Road. (04259) 235293
- Village Virrundhu, VKR Street
Bar available at Sakthi hotel, Vinayaka Hotel and Ramanuja Hotel.
All the three bars are near to the bus station.
- Athavan Hotel, Ther Nilayam
- A.T.S.C Lodge, Raja Mill Road. (04259) 225952
- C.T Lodge, Raja Mill Road, Raja Mill Road. (04259) 226703
- Hotel Nivethas Inn, New Scheme Road. (04259) 235565
- Indirapuri Hotel & Lodge, 91 Station Road. (04259) 225550
- K.D.K Hotel & Lodge, Market Road. (04259) 228082/228083
- Mani's Hotel, Raja Mill Road. (04259) 223041
- Sakthi Hotel, Coimbatore road (1 star). (04259) 223050
- Seetharam Lodge, Balagopalapuram Road. (04259) 223688
- Siva Shakthi Lodge, Raja Mill Road. (04259) 226331
- Sri Krishnan Residency, #120, Raja Mill Road, Pollachi – 642 001 (towards Anamalai road), ☎ + 91 4259- 223041/ 51/ 61, . edit
- Sundaram Tourist Home, 54 Palaniappa Gounder Street. (04259) 221875
- Vijai Hotel & Lodge, Imankhan street. (04259) 238861
- Police: 223344
- Ambulance/Fire: 101
- Don't leave valuable belongings in hotel rooms
- Don't tease wild animals when you enter national parks, especially lone elephants as they may harm you