Pokhara is the second largest city in Nepal. It is the starting point for most of the treks in the Annapurna area.
Tourist buses (NPR700-2700, 6-7h (May 2018=)) and crowded local buses/microbuses (NPR400-600, 6-7h) travel the 200km journey between Kathmandu and Pokhara almost every 15 minutes starting at 07:30 through late afternoon. Night buses are available, but the ride is painful. Greenline operates a convenient bus every morning between the popular tourist areas of Thamel in Kathmandu and Lakeside in Pokhara (USD25, lunch included (May 2018)). The road is winding with many switchbacks but offers wonderful views of hills and rural Nepalese lifestyle. The drivers will generally not drive too fast but some will calmly weave in and out of the stream of opposing traffic and slam on the brakes when a stop is required, making for a scary ride if you look out the front window. During the rainy season, there may be problems with the roads and flying may make more sense.
The Annapurna Mountains above Pokhara's Phewa Tal lakeshore.
From Sunauli and the Indian border
Buses are available from the border town of Sunauli (NPR280-380, 8h). Prices have increased since October 2015. Expect to pay no less than NPR600. If you can travel to the nearby town of Butwal, you will have more options for travelling to Pokhara. A 12-seater vehicle will cost around NPR5,500 from Butwal to Pokhara.
By car from Kathmandu
Numerous travel agents are available in Thamel area. Prices vary depending on the type of car as well as the time of year (approximately $120 – $140). If you are planning to use air condition then get ready to pay an extra. A car can carry maximum 3 people comfortably. The price is based on number of trips but not based on number of people.
Yeti Airlines, Buddha Air, and Simrik Air are reputable airlines that operate regular flights (USD117, 40min) that can be purchased online and at the last minute. The flights offer the benefit of a bird's eye view of the countryside and of the panoramic mountains themselves, for the best views ask to sit on the righthand side of the plane away from the wing. Airlines may ask for scanned copy of both sides of credit card if purchased online. Travel agents accept cash or bank transfers. Flights are almost always delayed for few minutes.
A taxi from the Pokhara airport to Lakeside should cost NPR250 if negotiated in advance.
Pokhara is a fairly small city and can be easily traversed on foot. Walking is necessary to get to places where vehicles or bicycles can't reach.
By local transport
Minivans operate on most of the popular routes. These are crowded and uncomfortable but the fare is cheap and student 45% discounts may be offered.
Comfortable taxis are available to be hired.
Bicycles can be hired in a lot of shops in Lakeside (NPR100-300/day). Make sure the seat is not too hard, and try realigning the seat if it is set uphill way, instead of sloping down.
By motorbike or scooter
It is also possible to hire a scooter or a motorbike in Lakeside (NPR600+/day). You will have to buy petrol (NPR97/litre). Note that it is possible to reach Sarangkot or the World Peace Pagoda with an automatic motorbike or scooter despite the steep uphill road, but very tough going, maybe better getting a manual bike if this will be attempted.
Lakes & waterfalls
- Phewa/Fewa Lake (Phewa/Fewa Tal). (Just west of Pokhara). One of Nepal's most beautiful spots, Phewa Tal is surrounded by a combination of monkey-filled forests and the high white peaks. The reflections in the mirror-like water in the early mornings are something you must see at least once before you die. Hire a boat and row yourself across the lake (or hire a local to do it for you - there are some fine times to be had on this lake, even in the middle of the night!)
- Begnas Lake (Begnas Tal) (13.3km southeast from Pokhara, along the Prithvi Rajmarg road). - Out of town and away from the hustle, Begnas Tal is quiet, clean and peaceful. There are a few basic hotels to stay in and the odd refreshment shop. The walk along the road leading to Begnas Tal is fascinating, the seasonal rhythms of daily life in the country make great images.
- Rupa Lake (Rupa Tal). (15.0km southeast from Pokhara, along the Prithvi Rajmarg road). One of the more remote lakes in Pokhara with limited accessibility and hence more serene and unspoiled compared to the other lakes. A must visit for any nature lover
- Dipang Lake (Dipang Tal). (12.7km southeast from Pokhara, along the Prithvi Rajmarg road). Beautiful lake where you can find wild lotus and wild swan. It is located about fifteen minutes walk from Sisuwa, the city centre of Lekhnath muncipality
- Devi's Falls, . Corrupted from David's Fall after David's wife who died here on accidentally discovering a water-fall. NPR20. edit
- World Peace Temple . Opened in 1999 atop a hill just south of Phewa Tal, the Stupa is the first Peace Pagoda to be constructed in Nepal and offers great views of the Annapurna Mountains, including Fishtail, Dhaulagiri, Annapurna South, and Annapurna III. This is a great place to watch the sunrise or sunset over Pokhara. Tushita Nepal Meditation Retreats is just nearby. Indeed, it is the school of life. May you go there for engineering life and get the key for happiness and peace. www.tushitanepal.com. The easiest way to get there is to take a taxi to the base of the Peace Pagoda (NPR1000 return, including waiting). If you want to go on foot, you must first get to the southern side of Phewa Tal, either by walking around the lake or rowing across the lake. Then take a very steep hike (no switchbacks!) through the forest (watch out for leeches during the monsoon) or from the road that passes Devi's Fall, turning right at the end of Chhorepatan. To hike to the top: From the small fork road behind the bakery in Damside, go south 200m, past a few hotels to the road bridge over the big canal. Go southwest along smaller road to the cable bridge over the creek, notice the "peace" sign on bridge anchor cement. Cross, then go up steps to rite, hence main walking trail to left along rice fields. 200m to a small temple and water tap. Notice another peace sign and arrows pointing zig zag up behind tap. Follow the zig zag trail through the forest to steps and continue up them to the top of the ridge spur, follow the USA style tree "blazes" (notches in the tree trunks) wherever things get confusing. Follow the large trail through lovely forest with monkeys at times. Warning: there have been reports of a few robberies. Reach forested ridge top at a mudhole/saddle, hence trail crosses over to north side, through more nice forest. Look for tree markers. gradually up until you reach open main ridge, within sight of Peace Pagoda. A few small cafes and a hotel here, then steps up to top. It should take around 35min from the hotels near the road bridge over the big canal.
- Sarangkot. The perfect pre-trek warm-up. Head up Sarankot in the late afternoon (be prepared, it's steep and hard work) find yourselves a warm guest house before sunset, go up the top for sunset and again for sunrise... you won't be disappointed. You can rent a motor bike for under NPR700 and take yourself to the top. The road is rough, but traversable. Great views, spectacular images and a great way to get a taste of what it's like to be trekking.
- Sarangkot south-slope trail. This is a somewhat demanding trail up Sarangkot Hill. To access it, go north through Lakeside through Kahare, and follow the road as it turns westward around the corner of the lake, toward Sedi Bogar village. Turn right at Caravan Restaurant. Follow the stone road (too rocky for a car or bike) 1 km directly north towards Sarankot's forested slopes, past some houses, to a school. The road ends to the right (east) of the school; follow the trail behind, east (right), which leads into a seasonal creek gully. 100m up this trail, before crossing the gully, the trail up to Sarangkot branches off to the left and soon the stone steps begin. (The start of the trail is a little hard to find; ask a local near the school if necessary.) Follow the steps all the way through a lot of jungle, follow the arrows carved into stones where confusing, cross the 4x4 road 3 times but stay on the stone steps, pass through some small villages until the steps finally end at a paved road with some restaurants and a school nearby. This is about 80% of the way up. From here the parasail jump-off is down the road a bit, 200m to the right; to get to Sarangkot, go left instead. Follow the road for a few hundred meters toward the final slope with the steps leading up easily visible by their railings. At the top of the steps is Sanrangkot village; there are a nummber of hotels, cafes, shops, and restaurants here, and the cement path leading up to the top is obvious. Morning views are best. The admission fee for the viewpoint on the summit is 50 rupees for foreigners, 20 for SAARC countries. At a regular hiking pace this trail takes about 90 minutes from the bottom at Caravan restaurant. Coming down the same way isn't much faster: the trail is too slippery and narrow to descend fast, and it's hard on the knees. Taking a taxi down the main road is an alternative, or possibly hitching a ride in a parasail truck going down.
- Mahendra Cave is a famous cave located in Batulechaur, the northern end of the Pokhara city.
- Chamare Gufa - Bat cave. It is another cave located some ten minutes away from the famous Mahendra cave. This cave is famous for the bats that can be seen hanging by the cave's walls. Be aware that the exit is very narrow and a little bit of climbing is necessary.
- Gupteswar Mahadev Cave . Another cave famous for it's religious importance located in the southern end of the city, Chorepatan. This cave has a famous Hindu god Shiva. It is opp Devi's Fall and on going its underground stairwell depth one comes across the waters of Devi's Fall itself.
- International Mountain Museum, Ratopahiro, ☎ +977 61 460742, . A museum about mountaineering and its history. You could have description of the people living in the Himalayas and descriptions of the 14 highest peaks and their most famous expeditions. Also includes some exhibits from other mountain areas such as Slovenia and Japan. NPR300 for SAARC resident. edit
- Gurkha Memorial Museum, ☎ 061-541966, . 08:00-16:30 everyday. Museum dedicated to the famous soldiers from Nepal. You can observe here the various historic uniforms, their famous knifes and the different flags. NPR200 for foreigners. NPR100 for SAARC residents. NPR20 for Nepalis. Discounts for children. edit
- Pokhara Planetarium and Science Center, ☎ 9856087780. 08:00-16:30 everyday. This is a science museum containing mirror maze, Nepal's 1st Planetarium and a mini science center. You can observe various scientific demonstration models based on various principles, a amazing mirror maze where you can see thousands of your own reflections and an astonishing planetarium/observatory to see the night sky during day time.. NPR300 for all. NPR100 for mirror maze and extra NPR200 for planetarium show. Discounts for children and for groups. edit
- Hiking / Trekking - For information on trekking in the Pokhara region, including popular treks and suggested itineraries, see Trekking_in_Nepal. Most trekking routes of Annapurna region starts from Pokhara including Annapurna Base Camp / Sanctuary, Poon Hill, Mardi Himal, TAAN Model Trek, Khopra Ridge Trek and Jomsom - Muktinath.
- Boating / Canoeing - Just hire a boat or canoe and go out in the water for a day. Canoes can be difficult to steer on the flat lakes. Row boats are extremely overpriced at NPR400 per hour.
- Mountain Biking. Consider these fun bike rides:
- Around Phewa Lake
- Sarankot/Naudada/Hemja loop. 3h hard from Lakeside is a fast time. Go towards downtown (Mahendrapul) from Lakeside, turn north at "Zero Kilometre" along the main road to Baglung. Be careful as it's crowded. Ride about 5–6km north, slowly up, past the nasty old bus park, to the Sarankot Road junction, turn left (west). The climb time starts at the fork 50m further. Follow paved road up incredibly steep climb, 1st gear almost all the way. You'd rightly doubt a rental bike could do it. Good pavement mostly, climb zigs past houses and ends at a small village on a saddle. It takes around 40min from bottom. From here you can park bike and hike up old ridge trail to Sarankot, but for this loop continue west along rocky jeep road along mountains south slopes, past parasail place and onwards, rolling ascent to Kalipani village and after and hour or so jeep road hits the "hi-way" at Naudada village on ridgetop. From here good pavement zigs steep down to valley bottom, then its a long gradual decent to Hemja village, and back into Pokhara.
- Dobindy Pass ride. A fun up and back hillclimb to a pass on pavement southwest of Damside. Take paved road south from Damside to Birota area then turn right (west) along main road, the "hi-way to Syangja and Tansen, gradually down towards Devi's Falls, continue west to the Chorepatan area to base of climb. The steep bends begin here, road climbs steadily, though not too steep, along south side of Peace Pagoda ridge, up to a few villages, then after a short steep decent into a forest for last climb up to the pass at Dobindy village. At least, it'll take just under an hour from Lakeside. From here you can continue west through scenic rolling country towards Syangja town, but it's usually possible to zip back down to hotel in about 35min. Beware; this road is getting more crowded, and sometimes with lots of buses & trucks in the wrong lane.
- Tibetan Refugee Camp - Go for a bike ride down to the airport way, on the way to the Tibetan settlement where there is a nice little monastery, a school, and refugee jewellery and craft stalls. Be prepared to ride all the way uphill on the return trip to Lake area and it is wise to take a rest halfway if you want to avoid suffering from cramps and weariness the following day, from the long ride.
- Paragliding  Don't miss soaring around Lake Pokhara and the Annapurnas with Lammergeyer eagles or huge Gryffon vultures to guide the way!
- Tandem There are several companies that organize tandem flights (no experience required) ranging from 30 minutes - 1.5 hours, as well as cross-country. You will find advertisements on the main road as well as most guest houses and hotels. Cartel prices starting at NPR8500 per 1/2 hour. Sunrise Paragliding, the original company operating there, is also one of the best.
- Lessons All the paragliding centres also offer lessons. A beginners course costs about USD120 per day including equipment rental. You will need a course of at least 15 days before you can obtain an international paragliders license
- For Experienced Pilots Pokhara is a rewarding location for experienced cross country and/or acrobatic pilots. Any of the paragliding schools will be able to help you with logistics such as equipment hire, transfers to take-off, advanced training & folding of reserve parachutes.
- Parahawking / Vulture Restaurant No you don't eat the vultures! Due to vultures eating dead cows that have been injected with a drug that helps the cows in old age but poisons the vultures when they eat them after their deaths, the population of certain species of vulture has collapsed in many parts of Asia. A charity group has set up a kind of cow hospice for cows coming to the end of their lives. They look after the cows but ensure they don't have any of the drug that kills the vultures. When the cows eventually die they are given as food to the vultures. Trips are arranged to view such early morning vulture feasts. To find out more and to be emailed if a cow should die, visit Blue Sky Paragliding.
- Rock Climbing, 3 Sisters, an organization dedicated to the empowerment of Nepali women, runs a rock climbing course near Lakeside.
Sightseeing around Pokhara is the best to explore the nature and the beautiful city. Visiting different places in Pokhara such as Devid Falls, Fewa Lake, Bindabasini temple, World Peace Stupa, Mountain Museum and Tibetan refugee camp includes in sightseeing.Pokhara Sightseeing Tour
- Cooking classes - Stay on a farm and learn to cook Dal Baht from scratch!
- Tibetan Encounter Day Tours, Tibetan Mini-Market, Lakeside, Pokhara-6, Nepal, ☎ +977-061-466486, . Learn the history of Tibetan refugees in Nepal. Visit local schools and monasteries, eat a traditional home cooked lunch, and optionally stay overnight in a Tibetan family home. 5000-9500 NPR. edit
Do NOT pay for volunteering or engage in volunteerism nonsense. The orphanage business is thriving in Pokhara, and will soon rival even Cambodia. Most children are not really orphans, they are poor children from the hills. Instead of helping their families, they are rented or taken away by these institutions, who then charge exorbitant amounts of money to foreign "orphan cuddlers" for "placements" that add nothing to these childrens' lives. Think twice before giving money to any of these people. Bad stories can be heard everywhere in Nepal and online about unscrupulous individuals getting rich on these schemes.
If someone REALLY needs your help, then you should not be paying.
Reiki, yoga, meditation & massage
Pokhara is Nepal's top yoga destination and there are over a dozen yoga retreats. Many of these retreats also offer massage, reiki, and water/honey therapy. Some also organize 1-20 day treks that combine hiking with classes in yoga, meditation, and breathing.
- Tushita Nepal Meditation Retreats is situated in the classic location for 360 degree Himalaya view. Indeed, more than a physical yoga center, it is the School of life. 9 rooms named after the nine planets accommodated according to the ruling planet only. Ayurvedic meals provided from own organic vegetable garden. Astrological outlook support, nature therapy, Sanskrit language course and Vedic Astrology course also provided on request. However, may you go there for engineering life- find balance and get the key for happiness and peace. Tel: + 9779856025232 Email: website: www.tushitanepal.com
- Purna Yoga Retreat Centre (10 min walk uphill from north Lakeside, behind and above Castle Resort) ☎ +977 9841436877 / [email protected] - Purna Yoga Retreat is a dedicated residential centre for yoga and meditation offering retreat programs from 1-21 days in duration. Retreat programs feature daily Hatha yoga, various forms of meditation, yogic cleansing, sound healing, steam bath and mud bath. There are 10 comfortable en-suite rooms and a large and spacious glass-walled yoga hall which overlooks the entire panorama of Pokhara, Phewa Lake and surrounding hills.
- Annpurna Yoga Ashram (Lakeside), run by guru Narayan Prasad Dhakal, offers daily yoga classes at 08:00 and 17:00 (USD8.50), massage, reiki, honey/water therapy, as well as one-day or multi-day spiritual/meditative hikes to small villages in the area that foreigners rarely get to visit. The guru also offers the opportunity for a homestay, with traditional organic meals cooked by his wife.
- Ask About Yoga, run by Preeti Gahlot, offers private yoga classes (NPR2,000) as well as twice monthly 4-day yoga-based hikes that include accommodation on an organic farm.
- Begnas Lake Resort (Sundari Danda, Begnas Lake. ☎ +977 61 560030) offers morning yoga classes to its guests.
- Bohemian Tours offers guided treks in the Annapurna mountains with yoga and meditation classes along the way.
- Garden Yiga Chozin Buddhist Meditation Centre (off footpath from Lakeside Road in North Lakeside. ☎ +977 61 462923) offers free daily meditation classes, dharma talks and donation-based hatha yoga instruction. A 3-day introductory retreat costs NPR3,300.
- Jiva Cafe & Spa offers yoga, meditation, and zumba classes, therapeutic messages, acupuncture, beauty therapies in private cottages. (On Phewa Lake walking path behind Busy Bee). 09:00-19:00.
- Nepali Yoga Centre (Lakeside Road) offers daily yoga classes 04:30-18:00 and 07:30-09:00 (NPR400) as well as full-day retreats that include breathing excerizes yoga nidra, meditation , and chanting.
- Om Family (Lakeside Road) offers daily drop-in yoga and meditation sessions, as well as holistic treatments costing NPR500.
- Purna Yoga & Treks offers various guided yoga treks in the mountains with yoga and meditation classes along the way. Yoga trek is a perfect combination of gentle trekking schedule, healthy yogic food, exercises to stretch muscles and ease breathing, time to relax, reflect and enjoy the location for a deeper trekking experience and to connect the body and mind with nature. ☎ +977 9851158384 / [email protected]
- Rishi Yoga (in North Lakeside behind Chetri Sisters Guesthouse; ☎ +977 984 620 4406) offers 10-day intensive retreats with four hours of daily yoga instruction costing NPR6,500. Drop-in classes are held between 08:00 and 10:00 and cost NPR350.
- Sadhana Yoga (in Sedi Bagar, a 15-minute walk from Baidam-Pame Road; ☎ +977 61 694041) offers lodgint including yoga classes and vegetarian meals costing NPR2,400 (2-night minimum)
With the ever-present backpacker atmosphere, there is no shortage of live music.
- Busy Bee Cafe in Lakeside frequently has a live local band playing.
- Diwali - the Hindu festival of lights and worshipping of Laxmi, celebrated in either October or November, is a great time to be in Pokhara.
- Full Moon Trance Parties are held in the surrounding hills during the warmer months. Ask around for details and schedule.
There are several ATMs located in central Lakeside. All charge a withdrawal fee of NPR400 per transaction. Nabil Bank ATMs have the highest withdrawal limit of NPR35,000 per transaction.
Tourists are treated nothing but walking ATMs. Souvenirs are ridiculously overpriced, especially "paintings" can be quoted at hundreds of dollars, yet those are nothing but factory made prints on tarpaulin.
- Jewels and trinkets from the lovely Tibetan women who ply the streets with their wares in backpacks or blankets. Sit and enjoy the atmosphere, and make sure you bargain as beginning prices are generally highly inflated.
- Kriayt Social Business is a marketplace in central Lakeside with the mission of empowering Nepali women to earn a living. You can buy beautiful handmade items and even design your own, all while supporting a good cause.
The cheapest (and often best) food is found at the street stalls, selling momos/dumplings (NPR80 for 10 pieces), Samosa (NPR15 each) or fried noodles (NPR70). A favourite in the morning 07:00-08:00 when kids abound on the streets with trays of pastries; chocolate croissants, cinnamon rolls and other yummy stuff. All priced at c. NPR20 (depending on your negotiation skills).
Along the lakeside road, a variety of quality restaurants can be found. Here are some that users have chosen to post:
- Asian Teahouse Located along the main road through Lakeside on the opposite side from the lake. The only way you'll find this place is to look out for the handwritten sign sitting at the end of the alleyway that the restaurant sits in. Or by looking for a large shop named 'Almonds', directly under this sign is a arcade that you walk through and it is at the end on the left. The food is typical Nepali--dal bhat and momos--and it's one of the cheapest places on the strip. Quality is below average but the family that owns the restaurant is very friendly, hospitable and informative. The momo's are all hand made, you can tell because no two are alike. Edit 2016: As of December 2015 the food here was really good, even compared to more expensive restaurants serving dat bhat and chai in Pokhara and Kathmandu. Very good value for money.
- Natssul Korean Restaurant next to Lakeview Resort towards the tourist bus stand end of town, this is an outdoor garden restaurant run by a Korean couple and serves fantastically authentic Korean dishes. Recommended are Vege Bibimbob Hotpot, Beef Bulgogi stew and Pork Skewers. Free Wi-Fi and the complimentary side dishes are lovely. Ph 061229198
- Pokhara Thakali Kitchen, Baidam Road (Lakeside), ☎ +977-61462306. Awesome Thakali versions of Daal Bhat which is regarded as the best type of Daal Bhat in Nepal. Rs 200 for a Daal Bhat. edit
- Busy Bee Cafe A nice outdoor garden bar. Cover bands playing famous rock n' roll songs take the stage around 8pm.
- Hanging Garden - This is one of the outlets of the famed Fulbari Resort and a one of its kind restaurant in Nepal because of it's design and location. It is located at the end of the cliff facing the Seti river gorge with part of the restaurant inching out in the open air. It offers a breathtaking view of the Seti gorge below and some of the best cuisines in Pokhara.
- Pushkar Guest House - best budget breakfasts in town
- German Bakery - Great cakes, in off-season the cakes can be a few days old.
- Hua-Han, (Opposite the Royal Palace, near Jazz Cafe). Excellent chinese restaurant, famous for its Kung Pao Chicken, but the menu holds all the delights you would expect from a Chinese Restaurant. Prices are in the high end, and the interior indicates that it caters to customers better dressed than the usual trekker. edit
- Koto, (Opposite the Royal Palace, near Jazz Cafe). luxurious Japanese restaurant with excellent Beef Teriyaki, and sushi. edit
- Mike's Breakfast - Pokhara branch of the famous KTM restaurant.
- Laughing Buddha Restaurant - North Lakeside. Small family run place 5 mins north of the main strip across the road from the Chilly Bar. It's the perfect choice for simple and good Nepali dishes in friendly atmosphere. From cheap, filling breakfast-sets (NPR100-140) to lovely dinner you can find everything. Don't miss the great Chicken Tikka Butter Masala or Grilled Fish (fresh from the lake).
- Bistro Caroline - Sister branch of the upmarket KTM restaurant with a garden on the lake and stylish interior. Offers a good selection of French and continental food. Probably the best wine list in Pokhara- expensive, but the toilets alone are worth it!
- Jazz Cafe - Great pizzas, less great pasta.
- Everest Steak House, Pokhara (100m after Club Amsterdam on the left hand side). The best steaks in town, including a gigantic steak which can only be eaten by a minimum of 3 people. edit
- Once upon a time, Baidam 6 Lakeside Pokhara (on the right hand side facing to the north), ☎ 061461881. 0730 to 1130pm. Italian and Indian Cuisine, very old restaurant in Pokhara lakeside. Free Wifi. moderate. edit
- Once upon a time, Lakeside 6 Pokhara (Main street of the Lakeside road, on the right hand sight when you facing to the north.), ☎ 061461881. opening hours 0730 am to 1130 pm. restaurant is famous for Italian and Indian cuisine. all dishes prises are modarate and very reasonable cheap.. edit
- Pokhara Steak House restaurant, hallan Chock, Lakeside Pokhara (main junction for Khahar and going to Bazar.), ☎ 061692505. 10:00-23:30. Speciality for all kind of Beef steak dishes, Serolion, ribeye and T bone Steak. Price is modarate. edit
- Tushita Organic Restaurant, Lakeside, Basundhara Park, . Serves, Japanese food, sea food, Specialist in Sushi. Beside this , Nepali food, Grilled Fish, Steak, Pizza , HERB WINE are popular dishes of this restaurant. Pick up service for group above 4 pax. edit
- Peace Dragon Lodge & Restaurant, (close to the '''World Peace Pagoda''', just a 4 minute walk downward and eastward from the main gate), ☎ 061621182, . Serves a good range of Nepali, Indian and Western dishes and light snacks. Prices moderate. Views stunning! edit
- The China Town (Chinese Restaurant & Bar), 137, Lakeside Rd (Centre Point), ☎ 061463847. 9AM-10PM. Serves typical Chinese food, especially sweet & sour dishes. Fresh and locally grown/caught duck, fish, and chickens. Great menu for vegetarians, too. reasonable. edit
- Sun Welcome, Lakeside. Small family run place 5 mins north of the main strip, a few spots up from Newari kitchen. Set A breakfast for 100 rs is not to be missed, likewise the rest of the menu is cheap and delicious. Open all day, can even BYO. Go once and you will keep going back. edit
- Blue Diamond Restaurant, Lakeside Road (just 3 shops south of Mt.Kailas Resort, south end of Lakeside). We found it to be one of the cheapest and consistently good small eateries along Lakeside, and ate there daily for months. Good western style breakfasts for 180 rupes ($2.50usd), good Nepali Khanna (Dhal Bhat) for 130 rupes. Why pay 200-300 for Nepali food elsewhere? Friendly owners, say hi to "Mousa" (Rosmi) their little girl. edit
- Friendship Restaurant, (20 meters down the side street near Bella Napoli in the southern end of Lake-side). 7AM-10PM. A small place that is deservedly popular with the locals. I hear the Dal Bhat is good, but I always come for the steak (250-300 Rs). Another excellent feature of this place is that it doesn't challenge your math skills with the usual extra 10% when the bill comes. budget. edit
- Cafe Fusion Restaurant & Bar (Food from every corner of the globe.), Lakeside (Near Standard Chartered Bank), ☎ +977 61466141, . best combination on food & price probably only one in the Pokhara with the fewa lake, sarangkot, Peace Pagoda & Pick of fishtail view. Delicious & hygienic food: Indian, Chinese, Continental, whole live fish on order, Pasta, Lasagne, Mexican, Green MoMo & Noodles, Sandwich & Burger, and Typical Nepali Food. reasonable. edit
- New Fast Food Cafe and Restaurant, Rambazar (Near Indian Pension Camp), ☎ 9846160685. 08:00-20:00. About a 20 minute drive from the lakeside, this joint is in the local part of town, and thus is slightly cheaper than the touristy joints by the lake. Best buff momo in town, and also offers burgers, sandwiches and pizza if you prefer. They are also one of the rare places which offer delivery in Pokhara. Ask for Alex, the friendly proprietor. ~NPR210 per pax. edit
- Big Bite Fastfood, Mahendra Pul (in the city), ☎ 061533505, . 9am-8pm. Situated in the central city area. Serves a wide range of western-style fast food things, from Chicken strips to pizza to burgers. less than $10. edit
- Black & White Cafe, Lake Side, Gaurighat, Pokhara-6 (Opp Gaurighat Boat Camp), ☎ 9846053466. Organic Restaurant serving Coffee etc edit
- Marwadi Restaurant. Indian Food on the north side of the Lake Side strip, not far from Hallan Chowk (i.e. the intersection with Craver's Pizza). Several kinds of Indian thalis available. Family run and quiet. edit
- Punjabi Restaurant. Centre Point, Lake Side... Indian Veg Food with Snooker Table and Bar upstairs. edit
- Europa (Pokhara), North Lakeside (Little blue cafe). Funky little cafe with good taste in music. Lovely lady makes epic veg burgers! 80 Rs. edit
- Bishnu Lodge and Shyams Cafe (Pokhara), North Lakeside (Opposite Freedom Cafe). Never have we had Fruit curd muesli like Shyams, its delicious (large bowl 130 Rs). 'Shyams breakfast' for 200 Rs features a small bowl of muesli, toast, eggs (any style), fried potato with vege and a pot of coffee! Their son Gopal is quickly learning the ropes and will make you feel at home. They also make pretty good pizza, much cheaper and tastier than the more glorified options down the road. 100-200Rs. edit
- Umbrella, (Lakeside North, main road). Tranquil, Goa-style restaurant serving Russian cuisine. Big and tasty portions, although prepare to wait as it takes some time for them to prepare. mains Rs 200. edit
- Monsoon Cafe, Lakeside (in front of Palace wall), ☎ 977-61-461792, . 7am - 7pm. Lovely cafe to enjoy breakfast or lunch. Fabulous dessert - the lemon cheesecake is divine. Also quiche, baked potatoes, and sandwiches are very tasty. Menu says that vegetables are washed and safe. Owned and managed by Sacred Valley Inn edit
- Pokhara Beach Club, (On the lake outside of Lakeside area, follow the road in the north-west direction). Very calm and remote bar-restaurant serving amazing wild board burger. You can also access it with boat from the lake. edit
- get fresh restaurant, barahi chowck (in front of royal palace), ☎ 061-464007, . clear view of fewa lake and temple with friendly environment and many country's food ,cocktail and meze edit
- Neptalia, (across from Godfathers). This place has the best pizza in Lakeside, maybe the best in Asia especially considering the price. Great value, great Italian food, and great breakfast. 200-350. edit
- Gorkha Bar One of the famous outlets of the Fulbari resort the Gorkha Bar offers all kinds of drinks, cocktails and mocktails.
- Pushkar Guest House Not just Beer, but COLD Carlsberg beer. They make a pretty good lassi as well.
- Pema Tibetan Restaurant A local joint for Thukkpa (Tibetan Soup Noodles), Mo Mo (Tibetan style dumplings) great taste, with sukuti, sekuwa and Locally brewed liquor
- Busy Bee Great spot on the lake in the heart of Pokhara. Late night, with live music from 8pm. Pool tables, decent food, local beers and imported spirits. Highly inflated prices and sub-par atmosphere.
- Tushita Sushi Bar, Lakeside -Basundhara Park, . Local speciality "Sushi Bite with Delight" and Himalayan herb wine. It would be a life time memory to take Herb wine with Wild honey. edit
- Cafe Fusion Restaurant & Bar, Lakeside (For all Kinds of drinks). Chilled Beer, variety of wine, Imported liquer, Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Rum,variety of soft drinks like smoothies, cocktails and mocktails. edit
- Oxygen Lounge Bar, lakeside, Pokhara (Near barahi temple, 0pposite of hotel Meera), ☎ 9804103258. checkin: 8am; checkout: latenight. Its a great place located in the centre of lakeside with beautiful view of lake n mountains from the garden of the bar. Live band every night. Late night camp fire. Varietes of drinks and cocktail. Good times Ever times. edit
- Silk Road, Lake side, Pokhara-6, Kaski, . Friendly chilled bar with great atmosphere and live mike nights, pool table and great food. edit
Virtually all tourist accommodation is located in Lakeside and Damside, near Phewa Lake. In addition, there are around 12 guesthouses uphill in Sarangkot. These guesthouses offer better views and less air pollution, they are much more expensive for both accommodation and food, as there is limited competition. Note that these hotels are not accessible by car - they are located a 20 minute walk uphill on gravel from the taxi stand in Sarangkot (NPR500 for a taxi, less for a microbus). Another option for accommodation is the Raniban Retreat (USD98-156 for foreigners), a new lodge near the World Peace Pagoda with the best views in the area. Or try a local farmstay or homestay.
- Amrit Guest House , Lake Side, nice little hostel, that has both dorms and double bedrooms. Recommended by the "Lonely Planet" Dorm price: 150Rp, room prices: 200+
- Banana Garden Lodge, , Tel:00977-61-464901, Email: [email protected] Khahare.... north of lakeside, started in early 90's is one of the most popular and best budget guest house in Pokhara. Slightly elevated, gives the most specular views to the lake. Run by the family, helps one to experience true friendliness with great hospitality. Beautiful garden,sitting place and the hammock, makes it one of the best resting place.
- Butterfly Lodge,  this place is amazing, the people are really friendly and its very reasonable, with their profits going to the butterfly foundation charity. Also they can arrange tours and stuff. USD $7.00 to $60.00
- Crown Hotel is a friendly family run place very handy for paraglider pilots/students as it is very near some of the paragliding school. The rooms are fine and the atmosphere mellow. Be aware that there have been reports of a fake website for this hotel, that shows real pictures of the hotel but is rumoured to lead to fraudulent bookings. The real Crown Hotel is a very good place to stay.
- Farmstay Just outside Pokhara is Hemjakot where Ishwar has opened his house for guests. He has a beautiful house and farm with an incredible view of the Annapurna range and his wife does fantastic Daal Bhat (which is lucky as that's what you get for lunch and dinner). Price is 800Rs per person per day for all food and lodging. Call Ishwar on 9806 576 980 to arrange, he can either meet you in Pokhara or arrange to meet at Hemjakot. From Hemjakot it is a 50min walk up the ridge to his village. This is a brilliant place to stay. Rooms shared.
- Gurkha Lodge, Beside Taan Office, Lakeside East, Baidam. 2 minutes from the lake and from Bullet Basecamp, this garden lodge is managed by a local family. With only a few rooms in detached cottages, an amazing garden with fruit trees and hospitable owners, it makes for an excellent option to get a step away from the busy touristy streets while still being near the main areas. Hot water, common kitchen, Wi-Fi, food. tel: +977-61-462798 or +977 9846021237. Email: [email protected]
- Green Peace Lodge, , Email: [email protected],tel: +977-61-462134. Sedi Bagar, Lake side. Great people and great environment for the holiday makers. One of the finest view over the lake provides the most elegant sunset.... .Busy through out the year. Please make early bookings or reservations.
- Hotel Lake Side, one of the oldest hotels in the town, over viewing the famous Phewa lake.
- Hotel Nirvana ([email protected]), Durbar Marg, Lakeside (opposite Palace gate), ☎ 977-61-463332, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 12noon. Big airy rooms - some with mountain views. Lovely garden and great rooftop area for sitting and enjoying the views. Good breakfasts, wifi, helpful staff. US$10 - US$25. edit
- Hotel Temple Villa, Lake side, towards the northern end in a very quiet street. Friendly owners and basic but clean rooms, some ith balcony. The place is next to the Octagon Hotel and has a pleasant garden. Double with shared bath NPR500, with attached bath NPR600.
- Hotel Mountain View, Tel: +97761465281. Lake side, near Basundhara Park. Family run hotel with clean peaceful rooms, can see the lake from the room , hot shower facility . Arrangement for trekking to ABC, Ghandruk , Ghorepani , and many places on demand. Air, bus tickets booking facility. Affordable cost.
- Hotel Silent Peak, Lakeside, Dihikopatan, Baidam-6, ☎ 061462857. Clean rooms, hot water and friendly staff. Wifi available. There is also a 4 rooms flat with kitchen and a half-covered living room with view on the lake on the top of the hotel. The roof top view is probably one of the highest in Lakeside. 6-15$. edit
- Karki Guest House, Lake side, +977-61-535708. This guess house is quite and clean and the owner is fantastic. Clean rooms and bathrooms and hot water all the time. Prices vary by season.
- Kiwi guest house backpackers hostel ([email protected]), 7 kiwi lane, Ammat, Lakeside, Pokhara (Near bella napoli restaurant), ☎ 977-9804158455. checkin: 1 p.m.; checkout: 12 noon. Laid back family run hostel with helpful owner, who had spend many years in West.It has spacious communal rooms, cute garden, free high speed wi-fi, locker service, a perfect place to meet a fellow backpackers. Breakfast menu is changed daily and it is free and yummy. Great view of mt Annapurna range from roof top garden. They offer free luggage storage while on trek. NPR500-1500. edit
- Lemon Tree Guesthouse, Tel: 00977 61 465207 Khahare.... north of lakeside, Pokhara, Nepal is one of the popular guest house for peace and tranquility.Often busy, people who run the quest house are friendly who offer a true hospitality.
- Machhapuchare Your friendly host is Krishna, who manages the hotel with his father Boom. Krishna speaks many languages and is very knowledgeable about trekking. Thoroughly recommended, he is trustworthy, hard-working, a fantastic host and properly qualified trekking guide.
- Mera Peak Guesthouse, This family run guesthouse is located on the only dead end in Central Lakeside. The guesthouse was recently renovated, so the rooms are very clean and a great value. You get the best location, without all the noise. Vijay, the owner, runs the little shop outside the guesthouse. During low season, you can easily bargain for the best price. Also has good connections if you need a flight and has a personal boat which you could go on the lake with. If you‘re lucky he’ll take you fishing and his wife will cook you a delicious, fresh fish dinner.
- Nepalaya Eco Hostel ([email protected]), House no.79, Barahi Path, Ward no.6, Lakeside, Pokhara (Near Trek-O-Tel), ☎ 977-9813518975, . One of the few hostels in Pokhara, Nepalaya Eco Hostel is a backpacker's paradise, with multiple indoor and outdoor common rooms, a library,beautiful backyard and garden with a spacious porch, and, of course, a roof with a fantastic view. It has a quirky, funky, family atmosphere. It also offers free high-speed wi-fi, locker service, and travel and trekking guidance. The owner and manager are helpful, kind, and enjoy spending time with the guests. NPR500. edit
- Penguin Guest House, Towards the more Relaxed end of Lakeside, Almost opposite the Royal Lake house. Exceptional Budget Rooms, Rs200 a night for double or twin room, with shared bathroom, or NPR350 for double/twin with en-suite bathroom (Solar powered showers are hottest at midday.) Great Owners (recognized me and called by name after 3 months!) Great cheap food, and Smoke Friendly. Owner is fluent in Japanese, therefore popular with Japanese Travellers coming in from Varanassi.
- Pleasant Home Hotel, Lakeside Pokhara (just north of Lakeview Resort, 200m up small road). a nice budget hotel with friendly owners and decent 500 rupee rooms. we stayed there for months over the years. TV/cable/hot water/mtn view balconies/secure parking, rarely full, quiet. 500.nrs. edit
- Pushpa Guest House, Lakeside (near Once upon a time restaurant), ☎ +977 61 465902. Popular and friendly budget guesthouse in good location just off the main lakeside road. Email: [email protected] edit
- Pushkar Guest House, A relaxed and comfortable guest house where open attitudes and good humour abound. Has a variety of rooms to suit all budgets, hot showers, a rooftop restaurant (BEST breakfasts in Pokhara with great crusty brown bread!) overlooking the lake and with awesome views of sacred Barahi Temple.
- Ranjana Home Stay, Pachhabhaiya Village, Sundari Danda, Begnas Lake (From Begnas Tal Bus Park, walk up the hill until you reach Deurali Temple, then walk up the smaller path until you reach the guest house. Near the Vippassana Meditation Centre.), ☎ +977 9846550146, . Small, family-run guest house located in Begnas Lake, just outside of Pokhara. Great panoramic view of both Begnas and Rupa Lakes, small restaurant, very hospitable hosts. Solar back up power, 24-hour wi-fi available. edit
- Samrat Home, Lake side - north part, small homestay with clean, cosy rooms. Owner is an English teacher, also providing useful information about Pokhara and surroundings. Free morning tea if you ask owner's wife - Sadana. They have two nice lively boys. Modest and nice people. Rooms from NPR300; NPR500 with attached bathroom. Friendly atmosphere, convinient store downstairs (with filtered water station for NPR10.) highly recommended !!! [email protected] Owner: Khaji Thapa.
- Surya's Family-Homestay, +977 9841977221, Sedi Bagar, just after the sharp turn marking the end of Lake side north. Very friendly and inaffected family-homestay with 4 new, clean and sunny rooms for guests (Rp 250 each). 3 generations live under one roof, the star of the show right now is the 1.5 year old Babu. To the extended family belong 3 buffaloes, 3 goats, numerous chicken and a cat. All food comes either from them or from the garden and will be prepared on a traditional oven with open fire made of adobe. You can join for tea, breakfast and dinner (Dhal Bhat, Rp 150). Occasionally Surya joins guests on trips.
- Sweet Dreams, Lake side, very small relaxed hotel with a small bar/cafe/garden attached which is great for escaping from the noise of the main road. Rooms from 300Rs, next door to Billy Bunters.
- Blue Heaven Guest House 9846023877 next to Pleasant Home, North of Lakeview hotel, past Natssul (Korean Reasturant) is called Peacefulmarg, Gaurighat (LakeSide). A garden side motel and a cafe for diner and coffee etc all things. [email protected] Has wi-fi and a nice garden cafe. Reasonably priced 600-800 NPR.
- Lake View House, (Lake Side North, main road). Nice family run guesthouse. Just 4 rooms, nice garden, view of the lake, 2 shared bathrooms, hot shower. 200Rp for a double. Homemade food by request. edit
- Lonely View Lodge, (Kharare - 5 min walk in north direction from Lake Side on main road), ☎ 984-6023090, . Small family based guesthouse with relaxed athomsphere and beautiful view to lake Fawe. 300 - 500 NPR. (28.22016,83.95784) edit
- Top Lonely Guesthouse, (Kharare - 6 min walk in north direction from Lake Side on main road little up on the right)), ☎ +977 981 7114260, . Guesthouse with nice view. Wifi and attached bathrooms available 250 - 700 NPR. (28.22018,83.95790) edit
- Hotel Castle Resort, ☎ +977 61 461926, . Small, resort-style accommodation with a faux "castle" on a small hill overlooking Fewa lake with ten rooms, heated swimming pool and an Irish pub. (28.224335,83.958485) edit
- Hotel Diplomat, pokhara lakeside (south side near the old palace grounds), . A nice new place with friendly owner and family run. All rooms have new fixtures, silent generator, double beds. Mattresses are above par and visitors can sit on the roof and enjoy the views over the lake and mountains. 15. edit
- Hotel Garden, pokhara damside (near damside chowk and airport), ☎ 977-61-463681 ([email protected]), . A modern, comfortable hotel with great, friendly staff, roof-top view, free Wi-fi, orchid garden restaurant and bar. edit
- Hotel Meera, ([email protected]). Centrally located it provides clean and spacious rooms for about $30. They also have a great restaurant edit
- Hotel Pokhara Inn, fewalake,pardi Pokhara (Five minute walk from the dam towards the airport. Next to Hotel Dragon and Hotel Sports.), ☎ 977-61-465398. Completed in summer 2012, this 5 story hotel provides rooms with full western bathrooms, comfortable mattresses, television sets, wi-fi Internet access, lock boxes and northerly views of the Himalaya. The hotel's driver can provide transport around town when needed or to/from the airport. The hotel's generator provides electricity when the local power goes out. Air conditioned rooms are also available at a slightly higher rate. 15-25 USD per night. edit
- Octagon Guesthouse Pokhara, pokhara lakeside (Central location down a quiet lane ask anyone), . A small family run place much better and quieter than the rest. Octagon Shape building will amaze you as will the owner hospitality. 15. edit
- Peace Dragon Lodge  Located within 4 minutes' walk from the World Peace Pagoda and surely enjoying the best view in the whole of Pokhara, overlooking Phewa Lake and the mountain range stretching from Daulaghiri to Himal Ganesh, between them the Annapurnas, Fishtail (Machhapuchhre) and Manasalu. All tastefully-furnished rooms are en suite with solar powered hot water and 24 hour back-up power, so essential given Nepal's erratic electricity supply! Magnificent rooftop restaurant. With Western and Nepali co-owners, Peace Dragon Lodge offers the best of both worlds. Internet connection available. ROOM RATES USD 30 - 45 but discounts of up to 25% are often available. email:[email protected] Tel: 00977 61621182.
- Pension Tushita Located in the best location. Lake, Park and Jungle just infront and mountian view in the background. All the modern amenities (Mini Kithen too) Beautiful garden with Bees and Rabbit. Recreation room, Japanese style hot bath and organic resturant are its speciality. US$ 16 for Single and US$ 23 for Double.20% profit has been allocated for education and environment issues project CSR.
- Sacred Valley Inn ([email protected]), Lakeside Pokhara, ☎ 977-61-461792, . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 12noon. Tourist favourite since 1998. Great location in Lakeside. Lovely airy rooms - some with balconies. Delicious breakfasts on the roof with amazing views. Wifi and friendly helpful service. US$15 - 30. US$15 - 30. edit
- Sampada Inn, ☎ 977-61-462817 ([email protected]), . A gorgeous new hotel in traditional Nepali design with engraved windows and brick work. The rooms are unique with exposed Nepali brickwork, natural wood furniture etc. Stay in the deluxe suites if available. Wifi is complimentary. Located on a quiet street and 2min walk to the lakeside area. Its family run by some lovely folks. Rooms start at US$ 30. edit
- The Silver Oaks Inn, Lakeside-6 (In a quiet lane, take the road at the 7-eleven /Standard Chartered Bank.), ☎ 00977-61-462147, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. www.hotelpokhara.com. [email protected] Four storey hotel with nice views and a shady, colourful garden. Clean rooms. Good views from balcony or rooftop. Traveldesk and big lounge/restaurant.Free wifi /desktop. US$23 standard single incl.breakfast and tax/ $47 deluxe/ac double with breakfast and tax 25 % discount in offseason. edit
- The New Pokhara Lodge, ☎ +977 61 464990 ([email protected]), . Lies on the shores of Pokhara's largest lake. Sufficiently set back from the main road to guarantee peace, quiet & privacy, there are just 16 rooms all with attach tiled toilets and 24h hot and cold running water. Standard rooms with attached bath and deluxe room with bathtub & air-con available. The lodge is built around one of the best gardens in Pokhara. New Pokhara Lodge offer best high speed wireless Wi-Fi internet upto 10 Mbps free. Wi-Fi is very good in all rooms. €11-30. edit
- Third Eye Inn ([email protected]), Pahari Marg, Lakeside, Pokhara, ☎ 977-61-465520. checkin: 1pm; checkout: 12 noon. Newly opened - it is a lovely renovated hotel with clean comfortable rooms and amazing views from the rooftop. Quiet and peaceful. Under the same management as traveller's favourite Sacred Valley Inn USD20-30. edit
- Trekkies Guesthouse, 231 Nahar Marg, Lakeside, ward 6 Dihiko Patan, ☎ +977 980 652 1406 ([email protected]), . checkout: 12:00. A clean quiet little place in a rural like setting, yet only a short walk from the main drag. The family running the guesthouse are helpful and friendly, the owner Bhadra is also an expert trekking guide. Meals and laundry services are provided, along with a roof top view of phewa tal from 900m. Free Wi-Fi. NPR700 with attached bathroom. (28.2136,83.9628) edit
- Tiger Mountain Pokhara Lodge . This award winning eco-lodge situated 30 minutes out of Pokhara has stunning mountain views, fine home cooking with local and organic produce and 18 excellent bed rooms. A unique infinity pool complements the surroundings and a range of massage, yoga and meditation therapies are available. Expert local guides escort walks exploring local culture, flora and fauna.
- The Fulbari Resort & Spa . Is Nepal's only 5-star resort located outside of the capital. It is located about ten minutes from the airport and offers unfettered views of the surrounding Himalayan ranges. Also alongside the hotel is a former glacial canyon and the Seti-River gorge. Facilities at the hotel include four restaurants, one bar, a spa/health club, golf club, and a casino for those slow or wet nights. Latitude: 28°10'36.69"N Longitude: 83°59'58.81"E
- Raniban Retreat - (USD98-156 for foreigners), a new lodge near the World Peace Pagoda with the best views in the area.
- Fishtail Lodge, . Located on a peninsula of Phewa Lake that is accessible from Lakeside via private boats. Former guests include HRH Prince Charles and HRH Princess Anne of England, Crown Prince Narihito of Japan, former Indian President N. Sanjiva Reddy, former US President Jimmy Carter, former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, former UN Secretary General Kurt Waldhiem, HRH Crown Prince V. Mahidol of Thailand and many other celebrities. Featured in the book '1001 Places to See Before You Die' USD112-180. edit
- Kathmandu is reachable by crowded local minibus (NPR400-600, 6-7 hours), tourist bus (NPR800-2000, 6-7 hours), and by plane (USD102-106, 40 minutes). Tickets are sold at all travel agencies.
- India and the town of Sunali is enterable from the Nepalese border town of Bhairahawa, reachable by crowded local minibus (NPR280-380, 8 hours) or by tourist bus (NPR550-700, 8 hours). The buses leave very early in the morning. Beware being a sold a ticket for a tourist bus that is actually for a crowded local minibus. Upon reaching the bus station in Bhairahawa, take a rickshaw to the immigration office/border control station (NPR250).
- Lumbini is the birthplace of the Buddha, reachable by bus (NPR150, 7-9 hours).
- Annapurna Sanctuary (starts in Phedi), Annapurna Circuit (starts in Besi Sahar), and Ghorepani - Ghandruk Loop / Poon Hill Trek (starts in Naya Pul) are popular treks that start in proximity to Pokhara. The starting points of these treks are reachable by minibus. It is possible to travel by minibus into the Annapurna Mountain range as far as Chame.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!