Plattsburgh is a city in New York's North Country, located on the newly named Adirondack Coast.
Plattsburgh, New York is one of the more concentrated population centers in Upstate New York. It is sited on the western coast of Lake Champlain. It is well connected to Montreal to the north, Albany to the south and Burlington, Vermont to the east.
- Plattsburgh International Airport (PBG)  is a regional airport with flights to and from Boston and various places in Florida. It is about 10 minutes away from the town center.
- Burlington International Airport (BTV) is a much larger airport in nearby Burlington, with flights to and from Baltimore. Newark, Cleveland, New York City, Orlando, Detroit, Washington DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Charlotte. It is about 70 minutes away.
- Trudeau International Airport (YUL) is a major airport in nearby Montreal, Canada, with flights worldwide. It is about 80 minutes away.
- Amtrak, Bridge and Dock Sts., 1-800-872-7245. Located on the banks of Lake Champlain and within 1/4 mile from the downtown, the Plattsburgh Amtrak station is served by two passenger trains daily operating on the Adirondack route, one northbound from New York City and one southbound from Montreal. Tickets are not available for pickup at the station -- after a reservation is made, the ticket should be picked up on the train. The station is equipped with a heated waiting area, essential during the winter months as trains are subject to delay at the Canadian border. While the station is located approximately 1/2 mile from the downtown, hotels are not within reasonable walking distance.
- Greyhound, 7155 Route 9 (Mountain Mart Mobil Station), Plattsburgh, NY 12901, 1-518-563-1480. Bus service is available through either Greyhound or Trailways to Albany, Montreal, New York City, and Potsdam, New York. Fares are slightly more expensive than those for the train.
- Lake Champlain Ferries, . Car and passenger ferry service connects Plattsburgh and Grand Isle, Vermont 24 hours a day, all year long. Crossing time is about 12 minutes.
Cabs are not generally available for hail on the streets, with the notable exception of downtown on weekend nights. For all destinations within and around Plattsburgh, cabs must be called.
- City Taxi, 269 Margaret St., 1-518-561-7777.
- Macey Taxi, 227 Wallace Hill Rd., 1-518-562-1717.
- Easy Ride Taxi, 227 Wallace Hill Rd., 1-518-562-1010.
Plattsburgh is a perfect hub for what is described as a "two state, two nation, do-it-all destination". Sitting on Lake Champlain, Plattsburgh itself offers several historical and art museums, a famous sandy beach, marinas, a downtown dining and entertainment district, shopping and more. The visitor can also easily go to Montreal, just one hour north; Lake Placid and the Adirondack Park, less than an hour away; and by ferry to Vermont across the lake.
Beaches, museums, shopping, golf courses, and easy access to Lake Champlain, the neighboring Adirondacks, Montreal (1 hour north) and Vermont. There is an extensive online community events calendar  for Plattsburgh.
- Clinton County Historical Museum: 48 Court St
- Kent-Delord House Museum: 17 Cumberland Ave
- Champlain Valley Transportation Museum: Old Plattsburgh Air Force Base
- Battle of Plattsbutgh Interpretive Center: 31 Washington Road
- Plattsburgh Beach:Cumberland Head Rd.Route 9
- Elfs Farm Winery and Cider Mill, 7411 State Route 9, ☎ 5185632750, . 11AM-6PM Tu-Su. Elfs Farm is a winery and cider mill that produces amazing grape and fruit wines. They also press fresh apple cider during the apple season. Stop in and check out their tasting room. Wine tastings are offered as well as wine, hard cider and beer by the glass . Children friendly. edit
Plattsburgh is a regional retail and shopping center, offering everything from small specialty stores to major shopping malls. Many Canadians travel to Plattsburgh for a single day shopping trip. In some instances, prices may be similar to those in Canada, but there are also many great deals to be found. There are a few stores that do not exist over the border in Canada. A convenient shopping destination is the Champlain Centre, which is a large mall that has many different stores, including Sears, JC Penneys and Best Buy.
Many Canadians also do their groceries in Plattsburgh. Some items such as milk and yogurt are cheaper, and are not taxed on re-entry to Canada. Price Choppers and Walmart are possible destinations for grocery shopping.
Michigan red hots are local favorite similar to a chili dog but seasoned differently. Recipes are prized and closely guarded. It consists of a steamed hot dog on a steamed bun covered with a ground beef sauce. They may be served with or with out raw chopped onions ("Buried" onions served beneath the meat sauce is traditional.)
- Claire and Carl's, 4727 State Route 9, Plattsburgh, NY, ☎ (518) 561-1163. This local chain has several branches and has been serving up Michigan Red Hots for decades. Inexpensive. edit
- Gus Red Hots, 3 Cumberland Head Rd, Plattsburgh, NY, ☎ (518) 561-3711. Gus Red Hots has stood in the same locations for dozens and dozens of years. It famously serves Michigan Red Hots but also has a complete traditional American diner menu. Inexpenisve. edit
- McSweeney's Red Hots, 535 N Margaret St, Plattsburgh, ☎ (518) 562-9309, . McSweeney's stands in stark contrast to many of Plattsburgh's storied, decades old hot dog stands. It has been in existence only a few years but has won a large following and local acceptance with its delicious dogs. A limited diner menu of burgers and wings is also available. Be sure to try the hand cut fries with gravy. Inexpensive. edit
- Quiche et Crepe, 5139 Us Ave Plattsburgh, NY 12901-3888, ☎ (518) 561-4086. Quiches and Crepes are the specialty at this restaurant that is owned and operated by a local french couple. Fresh soups, salads and sandwiches are also available. The food is excellent. Inexpensive. edit
- Price Chopper, 19 Centre Dr, Plattsburgh, NY, ☎ (518) 562-3560. Price Chopper is a local grocery store that has a large salad bar and hot prepared food section. Diners make there own plats and pay by weight. The salad bar is typically fresh and well tended. There is also a seafood counter that will steam or fry selections while you wait. edit
- Bazzanos Pizza, 5041 S Catherine St Plattsburgh NY, ☎ 518-562-8586, . This local Pizzeria serves a very tasty pie. Service is quick and the place is very clean. Other menu items include pasta, wings and burgers. A large plain pizza is around $12.00 Inexpensive. edit
- Irises, 20-22 City Hall Place, 518-566-7000, is a beautiful cafe and wine bar right downtown Plattsburgh.
- Elfs Farm Winery & Ciderhouse , 7411 St Rt 9, Plattsburgh, 518-563-2750, is a Farm winery and home to the Adirondack Cider Company. A small family owned winery specializing in local cold climate grape and fruit wines. Children friendly. Located between exits 39 & 40, off Rt 87(The Northway). www.elfsfarm.com
- Best Western The Inn at Smithfield, 446 Route 3, ☎ +1 518 561-7750 (toll free: +1 800 243-4656, fax: +1 518 561-9431), . edit
- Holiday Inn, 412 Route 3, ☎ +1 518 561-5000, . edit
- Plattsburgh Microtel Inn & Suites, 554 State Route 3, ☎ +1 518 324-3800 (fax: +1 518 324-3810), . edit
- Hampton Inn and Suites, 586 State Rt 3, ☎ 518-324-1100, . edit
|Routes through Plattsburgh