Piekary Śląskie (Pye-Ka-Ree Shlon-skye) is a small city in Silesian Voivodeship. It's one of the most important pilgrimage place, after Częstochowa.
Piekary's famous by its sanctuary. The famous pilgrims and people praying on Our Lady of Piekary picture were: Polish kings John III Sobiesk and August II and III of Saxony, kaiser Leopold I, Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm IV, marshal Joseph Piłsudski, Mother Theresa, Brother Roger, Lech Wałęsa and many more. Nowadays thousands of pilgrims come to the sanctuary.
Katowice airport's located only 20 km from the city center. It offers following connections:
- LOT Polish Airlines: Warsaw-Chopin
seasonal: Burgas, Chania, Dubrovnik,Heraklion, Kos, Palma de Mallorca, Rhodes, Split, Thessaloniki, Tirana, Zakynthos,
- Lufthansa: Frankfurt, Munich
- Ryanair: Athens, Birmingham, Bologna, Brindisi, Catania, Cologne/Bonn, Cork, Dortmund, Dublin, Edinburgh, Kherson, Kyiv-Boryspil, London- Stansted, Manchester, Milan-Bergamo, Odessa, Oslo-Sanderfjord, Paphos
seasonal: Alghero, Burgas
- Wizzair: Abu Dhabi,Alesund, Athens, Barcelona, Bergen, Bristol, Catania, Cologne/Bonn, Doncaster/Sheffield, Dortmund, Eindhoven, Fuerteventura, Kharkiv, Kyiv-Zhuliany, Kutaisi, Larnaca, Liverpool, London-Luton, Lviv, Malmo, Malta, Milan-Bergamo, Reykjavik- Keflavik, Rome- Ciampino, Stavanger, Stockholm- Skavista, Tel Aviv- Ben Gurion, Tenerife- South, Odessa
Seasonal: Alghero, Burgas, Castellón, Malaga, Mykonos, Podgorica, Santander, Split, Palma de Mallorca
There're place to place buses from Austria, Germany or Czech Republic stopping in Piekary Śląskie . You can check their timetable on E-Podroznik site. You can also get the city from Bytom or Katowice].
Piekary Śląskie's located on A1 motorway and DK94.
Via Regia and Szlak Husarii Polskiej (Polish Winged Hussar's trail) cross the city.
- Our Lady of Piekary Sanctuary. Main Upper Silesian Sanctuary.
- Calvary. A Calvary with a lovely neogothic located on Cerekwica hill.
- Saint Joseph's church (Jan Paweł II street). Contemporary church from 1976 with an interesting interior.
- Sacred Family church (Konstytucji 3 Maja street). Contemporary church from 1996 with an interesting interior.
- Sacred Heart Church (Górnicza street). Huge church from 1913-15 in Brzeziny Śląskie district.
- Studzienka Chapel. (Ksiądz Jerzy Popiełuszko street). A tiny chapel from 1860 in small park located near Calvary. There's Saint Barbara chapel nearby.
- Our Lady Help of the Faithfuls church. (Jagiellońska 100) Neogothic church from 1902-04 in Dąbrówka Wielka district.
- Our Lady of Relentless Help church (Powstańców Śląskich street). Modernist church in Kozłowa Góra district.
- Saint Peter and Paul church (Nankiera 221). Beautiful neogothic church from 1904.
- Holy Trinity church (Żwirki 17). Modernist church with an interesting interior and beautiful stain glasses.
- Maria Hilf Chapel. A tiny chapel from 1905 in Szarlej district. It name means "Mary, Help" in German. Chapel is located near A1 motorway.
- Wine Mountain (Winna Góra). High hill (349 m) located in Kozłowa Góra district. The way on the hill starts in the end of Zamkowa street. There's an excellent view on the city.
- Brynica. River crossing the city.
- Liberty Hill Kopiec Wyzwolenia). An artificial hill dedicated to Silesian Uprisings.
- Bekasowa Łąka (Sandpiper Meadow). Nature place on Brynica River inhabited by many bird species.
- Dioblina Forest. Beautiful forest area with some ponds.
- Lipka Forest. Small forest area with a nearby beautiful path among fields and trees.
Piekary Śląskie are mostly famous by religious and pilgrim tourism. The most important dates are:
- female pilgrimage (Sunday after 15th August)
- male pilgrimage (last Sunday of May)
It's worth to take part in holy mass in one of Piekary churches.
There's an open air swimming pool opened in summer time. You can rest on Brynica river but swimming here's forbidden!
City culture House and Andaluzja Culture house use to organize many live concerts, meetings with famous and local artists, art exhibitions etc. There's an arthouse cinema in City Culture House.
- hotel Stara Kamienica, Bytomska 61. edit Hotel not far from city center, free WiFi, restaurant, garden
- Rezydencja Luxury hotel, Stara 1. edit Hotel located near 911 way, free WiFi, restaurant
- hotel Pałac Wiśniewski, Popiełuszki 13. edit Hotel located in the city center, free WiFi and car park, gym and sauna
- hotel Komfort Inn-Dwór Hubertus, Inwalidów Wojennych 72. edit Hotel located in the city center, free WiFi, restaurant, garden, barbecue facilities
- hotel Restauracja Apogeum, Żwirki 16. edit Hotel not far from city center, free WiFi, sauna, gym
- hotel Imperium, Skłodowskiej 65 A. edit Hotel located 3 km from the city center, free WiFi, restaurant
- Noclegi Tadeusz, I Armii Wojska Polski 26. edit Budget accommodation located 3 km from the city center, WiFi
- Dom Pielgrzyma, ks.J.Popiełuszki 6. edit Religious guest house near the sanctuary.
- Wiktoria, Podmiejska 12. edit An accommodation located near A1 motorway, WiFi, restaurant
- Guest Rooms, Kukuczki 6. editRooms with shared bathrooms, Internet, common lounge
Piekary Śląskie sanctuary it's not much popular as Częstochowa ones. The biggest crowds occur during males pilgrimage (May). If you have problems with finding any accommodation in Piekary Śląskie in the biggest pilgrimage digest, you can find a one in nearby Bytom, Siemianowice Śląskie or Radzionków.
Piekary Śląskie's ain ideal place to see many famous landmarks as cities of Będzin, Czeladź, Tarnowskie Góry, Bytom, Siemianowice Śląskie, palaces in Brynek and Nakło Śląskie as well as Będzin Region and Nakło-Chechło lake.