Peterborough is a city in New Hampshire. It was founded in 1760 and has about 6,000 residents.
Peterborough is a classic small New England town. It has a charming brick downtown, and is a popular stop on leaf-peeping tours.
Peterborough is located at the crossroads of Routes 101 and 202, and can be reached easily from Keene, Manchester, or Boston.
The easiest way to explore the downtown area is to walk, as it's not very large.
Look at the quaint brick downtown, with many buildings dating back at least 100 or 200 years. Every May Peterborough hosts a Children and the Arts festival, which involves hundreds of schoolchildren and centers around many performing venues. It also has a giant puppet parade.
- Mount Monadnock, one of the most-climbed mountains in the world, is located in nearby Jaffrey, NH. The hike is quick and views from the top are phenomenal.
- Visit the Mariposa Museum, located on Main Street across from the Unitarian Church. It features crafts from around the world as well as frequent musical performances.
- The Peterborough Players has been putting on plays during the summer months for over a hundred years, and has featured such actors as James Whitmore.
- Cunningham Pond has a beautiful beach and is a good place to relax on a hot summer day. It's on Cunningham Pond Road, off of Route 101.
Peterborough's pedestrian-friendly downtown is far away from big box chain stores and is filled with wonderful, locally owned, unique places to shop from Antiques Stores and Art Galleries to Fine Clothing, Sweets Shops and Fair-Trade Crafts Stores. Stroll downtown and visit Depot Square, the Grove Village Shops, and the rest of the storefronts lining Main and Grove Streets. Remember...New Hampshire has no sales tax!
- Harlow's Pub on Grove Street is popular with the locals. It features delicious burritos, sandwiches, and pasta, and has a great atmosphere. Dinners run about $8.
- The Peterborough Diner off of School Street is a classic small-town eatery. It makes delicious burgers, fries, and Oreo frappes. A good lunch costs about $8.
- Waterhouse in Depot Square makes delicious gourmet pizzas among other foods. Dinner will cost about $10-12 per person.
- Nonie's, on Grove Street, makes the best breakfasts in town and has awesome lunch specials too. It opens at 6 sharp and stays open until 2 or 3. Breakfast is about $7, lunch is a few dollars more.
- Ave Marie's on Grove Street, has great homemade chocolates and ice creams. The ginger ice cream, when they have it, is highly recommended. A medium ice cream is about $3.
- Bantam Grill, 1 Jaffrey Road, ☎ (603) 924-6633, . Upscale casual restaurant serving classic American and modern Italian dishes focused on local and quality purveyors. They also have a separate extensive GF menu. edit
- Pearl Restaurant & Oyster Bar, 1 Jaffrey Road, ☎ (603) 924-5225, . Contemporary Southeast Asian cuisine in a trendy and lively setting without outdoor seating in the warmer season. edit
- Mi Jalisco Restaurante Mexicano, ☎ (603) 567-7921, . Open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, this casual Mexican restaurant specializes in authentic fajitas and a variety of seafood and chicken dishes. edit
- Kogetsu @ The Boilerhouse, ☎ (603) 924-7773, . Chinese & Japanese cuisine in a renovated mill building space with wonderful views of Noone Falls and outdoor dining. edit
- Harlow's Pub, on Grove Street, is the best bar in town. They have a wide variety of regional beers and the atmosphere is great on Friday nights.
- The Jack Daniel's Motor Inn, on Concord Street, is the best place to stay in town.
- Little River Bed & Breakfast, 184 Union Street, . A renovated 1870s farmhouse situated along the scenic Nubanusit River offering the finest lodging in Peterborough, New Hampshire. Modern amenities, casual elegance, and warm hospitality. Four guest rooms, each with private bath, have been tastefully decorated with your comfort in mind. Every day begins with a delicious multi-course breakfast that always includes fresh fruit, a delicious baked good or our now world-famous homemade granola, and one of our signature entrees like Blueberry Baked French Toast, Summer Vegetable Strata, or French Baked Egg. edit
|Routes through Peterborough
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!