Northbridge is a district in Perth.
Northbridge is close to the centre of Perth, the other side of the Perth train station from the city shopping malls. Its the more place to go for the independent end of shopping, art and eating. After dark emerge a wide choice of restaurants and nightlife.
Though Northbridge is a small suburb its sphere of cultural influence blurs into neighbouring North Perth, Highgate and Mount Lawley.
- The William Street Collective, ☎ +61 8 6468 3879 ([email protected]), . An association of people involved in Northbridge's cultural and creative industries. The website has current news and events - there's always something happening! edit
Northbridge is fast becoming the place to go for more alternative shopping. If you are bored of the same big clothing labels, you can find some really different, locally designed fashion, as well as some excellent vintage pieces. William Street has a variety of independently owned businesses where you can find punk, goth, rockabilly fashion, anime/manga collectables and other generally more unique stores.
- Keith + Lottie, 276 William Street, . 11AM-6PM daily. Keith + Lottie is a retail and gallery space which aims to promote the work of local artists and designers, and make available an exciting range of design and art based products from around the globe selling everything from clothing to gifts, books and homewares. The gallery space houses exhibitions by a variety of local artists, with new exhibitions opening monthly. edit
- Kakulas Brothers, 183 William St, . A wide range of international spices, flours, peas, dried fruits straight from big cloth bags. edit
- Lala Orange, 411 William St, . The aim of LalaOrange is to bring lovers together. A boutique where guys and girls can shop for Australia's newest fashion talent and vintage threads, homewares, cards, gifts and magazines, whilst still holding hands. edit
- Planet Video & Books, cnr Beaufort and Walcott St, ☎ +61 08 9328 7464, . Independent music, film and books. edit
- Outré Gallery, 260 William St, ☎ +61 08 92270666, . Original alternative gallery dealing in contemporary Australian and international pop, lowbrow, pop surrealism, street, tiki, modern folk, retro with a twist, and underground art. If you dig art that crosses over with design, pop and counter culture, you must check out this unique gallery. Prints, original works, ceramics, books and more, all carefully curated by passionate specialists. edit
There is an extensive array of restaurants in Northbridge. You will find a great selection of authentic cuisine that ranges from Southern European (Greek, Italian etc) to Asian (Hong Kong, Indonesian and Vietnamese etc).
Some options include:
- Da Wan Mian (Big bowl noodle), 408 William St. Lives up to its name with Noodle and Wonton dishes from their bilingual menu piled high in hefty bowls. Gets busy at lunch time but has a quick turnover and has plenty of seats. $9-15. edit
- Tea Cafe (茶餐厅), 108B James St, ☎ +61 08 93283386. A Hong Kong style restaurant that serves a wide variety of authentic Hong Kong/Western style cuisine ranging from claypot rice (煲仔飯), stir fry beef hor fun (乾炒牛河, baked rice (焗飯) , wonton noodles (雲吞麵) and various other rice and noodle dishes. Authentic Hong Kong style beverages such as the Hong Kong style milk tea (奶茶) and red bean ice (紅荳冰) are also hot favourites among migrants and students who are currently residing in Perth. edit
- Saigon Vietnamese Restaurant, James St. Serves a wide variety of tasty Vietnamese cuisine ranging from Phở to various other authentic rice and noodle dishes. Coffee fanatics should also try their iced white coffee. edit
- 399 Small Bar, 399 William St, Perth WA 6000, Australia, . One of the first small bars in Perth located at the upper end of William Street. Great for a drink and you can bring in food from outside vendors. edit
- Brass Monkey, 209 William St (Cnr William and James St), ☎ +61 08 9227 9655 ([email protected]), . Daily 11AM-10PM, later on weekends. A great comedy club on site and a good selection of beers and wines. edit
- Connections, 81 James St, ☎ (08) 9328 1870. W 10PM-5AM, F 10PM-6AM, Sa 10PM-6AM, Public Holiday Sundays 10PM-Late. Claims to be the oldest (gay) night club in Australia and possibly the world edit
- Geisha Bar, 139 James St. Funky house and breaks fans will dig this one. edit
- Metro City, 146 Roe St. hosts a weekly R&B/hip hop night but this enormous venue also hosts concerts and large dance music events. When heading into Perth by train from the West, Metro's (as it is known to the locals) is clearly visible from the window as its unique, palace-like exterior stands out amongst the multi-level carparks and other bland buildings which can be seen along Roe St. edit
- Tetsuo NC, 2/434 William St (Near the corner of William St and Brisbane St), ([email protected]), . 8pm til 5am. Tetsuo is a dystopic, neo-Tokyo set live music venue with an emphasis on being an inclusive and safe space. The venue is equipped with two rooms, each with bars, stages, and a state of the art lighting and sound rig. Located at the top end of William Street the new nightclub is a short walk from central Northbridge and adds distinctly exciting flavours to Northbridge’s nightlife. edit
- Billabong Backpackers (Nomads Backpackers Hostel), 381 Beaufort St, . Billabong Backpackers is relaxed and friendly, based in the heart of the Beaufort Street café district - a short walking distance from central Perth and the Northbridge nightlife. Beds from $28. edit
- The Emperor's Crown Backpackers, 85 Stirling St, ☎ +61 8 9227 1400, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Just 5 minutes walk from the Perth city centre and the night life of Northbridge. from $32. edit
- Planet Inn (previously Red Roof Backpackers), 496 Newcastle St (Far west on Newcastle St), ☎ +61 8 9227 9969, . checkin: 10AM; checkout: 10AM. The mens toilets are decent enough, but one of the showers doesn't have a shower curtain and only gives scalding hot water. It's fairly run down and less central than some of the better hostels in town. 6-bed dorm for $19. edit
- The Witch's Hat Backpackers, 148 Palmerston St, ☎ +61 8 9228 4228, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. The Witch's Hat Backpackers Hostel is a beautifully restored 4-star, backpacker accommodation and travellers hostel located close to Perth's shopping, dining and entertainment areas. from $32. edit