Pemuteran is a small fishing village on the northern coast of West Bali.
This is a small laid-back village which has become increasingly popular with visitors in recent years. There are a number of waterfront resorts and its proximity to Lovina and West Bali National Park together with the extreme natural beauty of the area, has fuelled quite rapid growth in tourism infrastructure in the area.
Pemuteran is home to the largest artificial Biorock reef project in the world and there is a real spirit of marine conservation effort in this area.
Visitors usually arrive in Pemuteran on the north coast road from Lovina or Singaraja or from the west at Gilimanuk.
Regular bemos and really old, rattletrap busses ply the north coast road but they can be slow and get extremely crowded. Hail them from the side of the main road and haggle over the price if you are a foreigner. You will see a lot of the locals pay just pennies. Tell the driver you want to get off at Pemuteran since there is little in the way of a 'town centre' or landmarks. Then walk down any 'gang' through the fields and past posh resorts to the coast.
You will have no problem renting a car with driver to take you from Lovina to Pemuteran - fix the price in advance and make sure petrol is included.
A direct ride to Pemuteran from tourist centres in the south will take about four hours depending on traffic. On the way through the mountains in the central Bali you can stop by at Pura Ulun Danu Bratan and observe the natural al beauty of the area.
This is a great place to walk or get around by bicycle.
Your hotel will be able to help if you decide you need to rent a motorbike.
Biorock and Coral Reef right on the main beach is rare anywhere in the world. Here it is also free! Just make your way to the beach, hire your goggles and snorkel then enter the water at the marked locations along the beach. Do make sure you put on sunscreen or at least a t-shirt as you will be burned to a crisp within 30 minutes. The reef and bio rock is extensive so you can easily spend a day here. There are no touts or other hassles at all. It is very Wheelchair friendly too.
There is a lonely peak around 100 meters high just next to the western side of the main beach. You can see perfectly the whole coastal area from the top and if weather permits mount Ijen in eastern Jawa will appear on the horizon. On your way up you will see two temples set beautifully in the hill's landscape. Use your natural sense of orientation or find the Gecko homestay to reach the feet of the peak. Go up by the concrete path starting with some steep run of stairs. (15 min walk)
Just a couple of kilometers east from Pemuteran is a Monkey Temple right beside the road (Pura Pulakih). The dozens of monkeys here are better behaved than those in Ubud. They make a great photo opportunity, particularly with the ocean and beach background. Locals feed them fruit but its not a good idea to put down your bag or leave windows open in parked cars.
Early morning dolphin watching boat trips can be arranged through any hotel. By no means guaranteed, but you have a decent chance of finding a pod here.
The beaches are especially nice in this area and consist of a particularly fine grained black sand.
Menjangan Island and West Bali National Park are easily reached from here. The dive center boats to Menjangan Island depart directly from Pemuteran at in the morning and the ride will take about 40 minutes, but most use small buses (or pickups! Sunburn!) and take you to Banyuwedang, the nearest Harbour.. Expect the price of the trip around 600 000 rp. which includes the national park entry permit (200 000 rp) and usually all necessary equipment for snorkelling and lunch at the island. If you dont want to go with a Pemuteran operation, other options are from Banyuwedang (Near Mimpi hotel, Gawana hotel, or Batu Ampar) 15 minutes from Pemuteran (or Labuhan Lalang which is a 45 minute ride west). Obligatory permits can be purchased from the national park office at the back of the Labuhan Lalang car park or in the ranger office in Banyuwedang and you can also arrange a guide here. It is quite common for groups of visitors to congregate in this car park and join together to charter a boat - but then you have no Operation to ensure good quality service.... Most local hotels will make any arrangements you need for activities related to the national park.
Proyek Penyu  (turtle project) is a turtle breeding and release program run by one of the dive operators in co-operation with local villagers. Very much worth a visit and certainly worth your support.
The area around Pulaki village just east of Pemuteran is full of vineyards .
Diving and snorkelling is excellent both here and at nearby Menjangan Island inside the West Bali National Park. Visibility is excellent and there is a profusion of reef fishes, turtles, and hard and soft corals.
- OCEAN DREAMS Pemuteran, Pemuteran (Suka Sari Cottages), ☎ +62(0)81 238 37 775 ([email protected]), . Only SSi Instructor training center in Pemuteran. Full range of courses .Day trip for snorkeling and diving. Swiss management. edit
- Easy Divers ([email protected]), Pemuteran, ☎ 0362 94736, . A PADI dive resort with more than 10 years history in Pemuteran. edit
- Reef Seen Aquatics, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 (0)8123 894051 ([email protected]), . First established dive operator in Pemuteran, offering guided dives and PADI courses from absolute beginner upwards. Australian owned and run, they are very active in marine conservation, running their own turtle protection,hatching and release programm, Reef Gardener Program to repair and protect the reefs as well as creating new, culturally relevant dive sites such as "Underwater Temple Garden, Bio-Wreck and Underwater Garden Of the Gods". Attractive beach-side divers' accommodation. Authorised PADI 5 Star, Green Star Dive Resort. edit
- Sea Rovers, Jl Singaraja-Gilimanuk, Pemuteran (on the mainroad, Pemuteran), ☎ +62 811 3857118 ([email protected]), . Offer a full range of fun dives, snorkelling and courses. SSI & SDI accredited, also offering PADI courses on request. All dive prices in Rupiahs. edit
- Yos Marine Adventures, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 813 3877 9941, . Long established and reputable PADI accredited dive operator with a branch on Pemuteran beach. edit
- Pemuteran Dive Center, Pemuteran, ☎ +62(0) 81338427000 ( [email protected]), . Local dive center managed by most experienced dive master with more than 12 years experiences. Arranging daily excursion to Menjangan Island for diving or snorkeling. edit
- Bali Diving Academy Pemuteran, ☎ +62 (0) 361 279252 or +62 (0) 87760048532, . 7am till 7pm. A PADI 5* Resort established in Bali in 1991 located within the grounds of Taman Sari resort, offering the full range of Padi courses in multiple languages, including English, French, German, Dutch, Indonesian. Offering daily departures to Menjangan island by custom built speedboat and up to 4 departures per day to the region's best dive sites, keeps the group sizes small and all dives are guided by experienced PADI professionals. Night dives are also available. Divemaster/diver ratio 1:4. edit
- Fun & Fun Adventures Dive Center, Pemuteran - Bali, ☎ +6281353100809, . 07:30 am - 08:00pm. Dive base located at the Main Center of Pemuteran - Bali and Part of the Hotel Tirtasari Bungalows pemuteran. They are professionally PADI accredited dive operator with Scubapro new equipment. They offer : Fun Dives, Macro Dives Underwater Photography, Snorkeling to menjangan, Beginners diving (intro) Padi Courses. Some Tours Organizing by them during holiday in Pemuteran like: Trekking to Bali Barat National Park, Bird watching, mangrove tour, one day Ijen Trip with best prices after doing diving / snorkeling. Also get their FREE WI-FI edit
Fishing is good in calm waters and you can charter a boat easily from the beach.
The hills and mountains that form the southern backdrop to Pemuteran offer many opportunities for interesting hiking. Ask at your hotel for directions and/or a guide.
- Pura Batu Kursi, Pemuteran (Drive 1.2km east from Global Dive Lodge, then head inland about 700.). Turn right and stop at the first 'P' sign. There's a hut where you can sign in and give a donation, there is no set amount but 10,000R per person seems both standard and very reasonable. Climb the 430 steps (15-25 minutes depending on how fit you are and whether you want to push it and you'll come to a small shrine/temple and a separate lookout spot. Great for sunsets, and apparently for sunrises too if you want to get up that early edit
- Krisan Salon + Spa, Pemuteran (near Warung Prapat Sari), ☎ 085337455066, . Balinese massage, Java Spa massage, body scrubs and creme baths for your hair, and indulgent manicures and pedicures. Open every day from 8am to 9pm.eMail [email protected] edit
- Temple Pulaki (Pura Pulaki), Bayupoh village (3km to the east of Pemuteran, along the main road). A Hindu shrine located in the hill bank about 25 metres from the beach. This temple is inhabited by monkeys, which are considered as the descendants of Dewa (Gods). It is one of the biggest Hindu temples on Bali. The temple is set on the flat land with stone bank as a back drop and the blue ocean just in front. There are the group of monkeys that live in the surrounding hill forest and are usually standing around the temple in the daytime. The beautiful beach with black sand and calm seawater is one of the fascinations to visitor to come to this temple. edit
- Dewi Spa and Yoga, Pemuteran (opposite of kubuku), ☎ +6285239508454, . 6. Dewi spa offering foot,back and full body massage,sunburn treatment,facial,manicure. open daily. Yoga class on request at 6.30 130000. edit
- Pemuteran shuttle (Shuttle online), Pemuteran (opposite of adi asri), ☎ 03623437301. 7. Running by local man with tour leader background in SEA more then 10 years.Pemuteran shuttle running dailies to munduk-bedugul-kuta.book online only and 1 day before. email:[email protected] 150000. edit
There are several simple roadside warungs serving typical Balinese food. All of the hotels in the area have restaurants open to the general public. As might be imagined in a traditional fishing village, the seafood options are highly recommended.
All food in this area seems to be twice as expensive at anywhere else so if you are on a day trip, buy down the road or bring your own.
- Warung Prapat Sari, Jalan Taman Sari, Pemuteran (about 20 metres on the right after entering Jalan Taman Sari from the main road), ☎ 085 238 870 231. Delicious local cuisine with a specials board of freshly caught seafood. Worth visiting at least twice! Friendly service and nice open-air ambience. Open for lunch and dinner. edit
- Warung Susu, next to Agung Gate, Pemuteran. A simple local Balinese restaurant in a bamboo building. edit
- Organic Restaurant (Organic), Pemuteran (opposite of Adi Asri, 100 metres from the main road), ☎ 03623437303. 7. It is organic reastaurant, serve indonesian food and homy food, dailies happy hours at 4 to 8 pm, free pick up service. 500000. edit
- Dive Bar (Dive Bar), Pemuteran (Opposite Adi Asri Hotel), ☎ 081338575384. 24. Dive Bar open daily, happy hours 4to 8PM, live acoustic every Saturday night.Serve best PIZZA in town, Import wine and ice cold beer. Taxi services, laundry 15.000/KG, and offer best tour in java-bali and lombok. 25000. edit
- Warung Pencar, Desa Penyabangan (Gondoi Bay) Singaraja, Bali (1.5 km east of Pura Pulaki temple on Gondoi Bay. Ocean-side of the main road.), ☎ 087762656639. Amazing restaurant just outside of Pemuteran with wonderful grilled fish platters, 500grams for about 90,000, its a deal. The restaurant owner and chef lived in New York City, cooking at a Japanese restaurant, and returned to Bali to open up this amazing spot. The food here is unbeatable, the prices are right, but since it is a little out of town, the tables are empty. This is especially a better option for those who want to enjoy a seaside table, but don't aren't staying at one of the guesthouses with reserved tables at the two well-known seaside restaurants in town. Also, their service is much more attentive and friendly than that which we found in Pemuteran, and the place is just beautiful, and totally romantic. Highly recommended! 50000. edit
Pemuteran is quite expensive by Balinese standards. There are more budget options opening and it is possible to stay cheaply with local people in their houses if you ask around once you arrive.
- Dimpil Homestay (Pemuteran), "Jalan, ☎ +62-819-3657-3891, . Small homestay with eight individual "cabins" each with own patio, wifi, air conditioning, queen size bed and mosquito net, and private outdoor bathroom in a garden setting. Swimming pool and restaurant. Breakfast is included for guests. Snorkelling equipment available for rent; help planning tours available. Located down a quiet lane off the highway within a five minute walk to the beach. edit
- Tiara Homestay Pemuteran Bali (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +62 853 3813 2028, . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. A very quite atmosphere with a garden view and natural panoramic of hill Beratan. Only 10 minutes walk to the white sand beach and 20 minutes by walking to the main beach of Pemuteran. A private terrace attached to each room , and Wi - Fi is accessible in all rooms. Pleasantly decorated with Balinese touches, spacious rooms in Tiara Homestay are air-conditioned or fan-cooled. Each room opens out to the private terrace where guests can relax while enjoying views of hill Beratan. A shower is included in the private semi open bathroom. edit
- Jubawa Homestay, ☎ +62 362 94745, . Excellent budget option in Pemuteran with bungalows from US$25 inc tax low season and US$32+ high season with wifi. Good wholesome Balinese food served here. edit
- Tirta Sari Bungalow (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +6287762132123, . Clean, nicely decorated room surrounded by a lush garden and located a 2 minute walk to the beach. Rates start from Rp 400.000 for a room with fan. High season surcharge is Rp. 150.000 /room/night ( JULY – AUGUST ). The price is subject to 21% service and tax. Also have air-conditioned room with open air bathroom. Luxury swimming pool with a reasonably price restaurant. Rp 400,000. edit
- Eka Guest House (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +6281353010506/+6285239904212. Eka guest house has only two rooms, one with a double bed and one with a twin bed. All rooms have AC and bathtub with hot water. The room is clean and simple. The rate is Rp 150.000 including tax and breakfast. Eka, the owner is always available to give you a lot of information. You can also book any activities and have a quiet dinner in a warm family atmosphere. Rp 150,000. edit
- Made Guesthouse (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +6285338526999/+628533809944. Located before the Pemuteran gate, behind "Penginapan Pemuteran," they have a big clean room with a big outdoor bathroom. The rate starts at Rp100.000 for room with a fan. In front of Made Guesthouse there is a huge grape farm, where you can buy grapes for Rp 3,000/kg. Rp 100,000. edit
- Adisiya Homestay, pemuteran gerokgak singaraja Bali (Road entrance next to Kubuku Dive), ☎ +6281338543585. Small homestay with four rooms (AC or fan), free wifi in a lovely garden area with great view of the mountains, just a few minutes walk to the beach. Fresh breakfast of your choice included in the room price. Rooms are large and clean with private bathrooms. Wayan and iluh are fantastic hosts, and can provide transport from/to anywhere in Bali. Can also help organise anything else you want to do in the area -- snorkelling, diving, trekking etc. Wayan's nephew's Warung Ode Resto can deliver meals to your room. about Rp.300.000. edit
- Global Dive Lodges (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +62 8234005243, . New family-run guest house on the main road through Pemuteran. Beautiful gardens, immaculate rooms and reasonably priced. The rates start at Rp. 400.000 in peak season. Free snorkeling equipment and breakfast included. Global Dive operates dive trips, they can organise everything at a good rate. Rp 400,000. edit
- Mango Tree Inn (Pemuteran), Pemuteran, ☎ +62 821 3959 3166, . Nestled in a mango grove near the sea, Mango Tree Inn offers quiet and restful accommodation for approximately 345,000 Rp per night. Equipped with air conditioning, hot water, mosquito netted king-sized bed, artistic open-air Balinese bathroom, private garden terrace/porch & free breakfast. The Inn is set in a quiet tropical garden with the magnificent Pemuteran mountains as a backdrop. The owner, Chok, speaks perfect English and will help with any travel plans or desires, such as going to Menjangan Island to snorkel or dive or to trek in the West Bali National Park. The Pemuteran Bay beach is a few minute walk away and is ideal for swimming, lounging, or snorkeling. (-8.144147,114.653241) edit
- Pondok Dhevika, Jin Raya Seririt, Pemuteran, Bali, ☎ +6285237023484. New homestay with really comfortable beds, a large beautiful bathroom and a really friendly owner who speaks great English. Breakfast served in front of your room on the front porch. AC or fan available about Rp.200,000-300.000. edit
- TriJaya Guest House (The Real Balinese Life Experince), Pemuteran, ☎ +6281338718760 ([email protected]), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 11:00. Tri Jaya is a very beautiful homestay with two types of rooms. The superior room is comes with AC and cold shower in a beautiful open air bathroom. The deluxe room gives next to a bigger room also a hot shower and balinese architecture building. Free Wifi is included. The owner is very keen to show guests more about the Balinese culture and you can talk to him to be part of a ceremony, visit the local school... The breakfast is included and you get the choice between continental or Balinese breakfast. If you choose for the Balinese breakfast, the staff will try to give you a variety of tastes during the length of your stay, and is truly recommended for those who want to discover something of Bali. From IDR.250,000. (-8.158584,114.633848) edit
- Doubleyou Home Stay Pemuteran, Pemuteran (Off the main road next to Kubuku (see sign)), ☎ +6281338427000 ([email protected]), . checkin: 01:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 am. New large rooms. Quieter than other budget options as set back from the road. Four guest rooms equipped with self air conditioning system, hot and cold shower. Low season ~$35, High season ~$55. edit
- Kubuku Ecolodge and Resto, [email protected], ☎ +62 362 7005225, . Four clean, quiet, and air-conditioned rooms (more are under construction) away from the main road. Free internet and wifi available, they can also arrange snorkeling trips, dolphin sighting or transport. From 330 000 Rp. edit
- Rare Angon, ☎ +62 362 94747. Budget air-conditioned bungalows with nice outdoor bathrooms. About Rp 350,000. edit
- Taruna Homestay, ☎ +62081338536318 / +62085237117763 (taruna.kad[email protected]). Outstanding service, very clean and beautiful rooms. Nice garden. Free wifi. From IDR.250.000. edit
- Matahari Beach Resort & Spa ([email protected]), Jalan Raya Seririt Gilimanuk, ☎ +62 362 92312, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. A beachfront resort with restaurant and in-house spa. Has 32 rooms in a traditional Balinese style. from US$280. edit
- Hotel Adi Assri, Pemuteran, ☎ +62 362 94838 ([email protected]), . Individual bungalows on the beachfront. Offers lots of national park based activities and has a dive centre attached to the hotel. In house spa and restaurant and a good sized swimming pool. From US$91. edit
- Puri Ganesha ([email protected]), ☎ +6236294766, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. A laid-back luxury resort comprising four large beachfront villas each with private pools for 2-6 guests on 300 m of peaceful beach in Pemuteran. The food is all organic. from US$ 550. edit
- Taman Sari Bali Cottages, Pemuteran village, ☎ +62 362 93264 ([email protected]), . Charming traditional Balinese style beachfront complex with accommodation ranging from double rooms at US$52 to two bedroom suites at US$175. edit
- Villa Semadhi, Pemuteran, ☎ +6285 237126191, . Beachfront villa for two to ten people. Lovely swimming pool and jacuzzi. The villa stands in a large 3000 m2 garden. € 195-360, depending on how much of the villa you use, and the time of year. edit
You can easily continue your journey around Bali eastwards to Lovina or westwards to Gilimanuk.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!