Parapat is a small town on the edge of Lake Toba.
From Medan there is a local bus (no air-con) about every hour for 32,000 rupiah (Feb 2014) if you pay on the bus. The journey takes 4-6 hours, depending on the traffic condition.
There are also several mini buses plying for IDR60,000 per person. If you are carrying heavy luggage, you might be asked to buy one extra ticket for the luggage.
- Paradep Taxi, ☎ +62 821 6089 5710 ([email protected]). edit
- Raja Taxi ☎ +62 617 366 555
- Medan Driver ☎ +6282114304668  whatsapp and email available,they have Toyota Avanza 5 seaters and Toyota Innova 7 seaters in their fleet, approximately 4 hours drive from Kualanamu International Airport
Sibisa Airport is the closest airport to Prapat, however the short runway only for very light aircraft. Silangit Airport is close to Balige, may be accessed by Wings Air from Batam.
- Take a ferry boat to cross over to Samosir island. Rp 10,000 to Tuktuk, or Tomok is Rp 5,000 at Tiga Raja jetty; they had other jetty in Ajibata with the same price 5,000 IDR/person to Tomok; just take 30 minutes from Tigaraja Jetty/Ajibata jetty to Tomok or Tuktuk. Boats run from Tigaraja Jetty to Tuktuk every hour 08:30-19:00; and to Tomok they had last boat 19:00.
- Water scooters (Rp 150,000 per half hour, with a guide on-board)
- Speed boat rides: private boat to Tomok or Tuktuk charges IDR700,000 and just takes 10 minutes to reach there.
- Self paddle "kiddle ride" boats (IDR40,000/h)
- Welcome to the “River Rafting Best-3 in The World”. Asahan River is a river in North Sumatra which flows from Lake Toba. This river passes Porsea, in the district of Asahan, and ends at Nibung Gulf in the Straits of Malacca. Rivers that have a length of 150km, also pass through the valleys of the Barisan Mountains.
Asahan River, especially around the Tangga village in the district of Bandar Pulau, has a speed of 120m/s with grade IV-V+ with an average 5m depth and is very challenging.
- b.caro coffe shop, Haranggaol St. 114 (5 minutes from down town, 2 minutes from Tigaraja harbour), ☎ 062541306. The best coffee in this town. 3000 per cup. edit
- Niagara Hotel and Resort - One of the better hotel you can get there, though only 2 to 3 stars. Can be crowded with families and Indonesians during peak period (weekends and public holidays).
Buses from Medan to Padang, Bukkittingi and Jakarta go through Parapat. Bus to Padang costs 240,000 IDR and leaves at 4:30 PM from ALS Bus Station. It reaches Bukkittingi at 8 in the next morning and at Padang at 10 AM. Book ahead of time or risk being crammed in the back without a seat for the same price.