Panglao is a small island in the island province of Bohol just off the south-west tip of the main island of Bohol.
A taxi from the airport or ferry terminal should cost ₱600 (Jan 2015), whilst a tricycle will set you back ₱200-300 (depending on your bargaining skills), the latter is the most enjoyable ride and takes about 30-40min.
From the Tagbilaran pier to where the jeepneys/buses leave for Alona Beach, is a ₱10 trike ride. Then the bus or jeep is ₱25. It takes less than an hour.
There are many fast boats from Cebu to Tagbilaran. They offer specials if you book 1 or 2 days in advance. The walk-up fare is ₱565 and takes 2 hours.
Panglao is famous for its world class diving locations and is home to numerous tourist resorts.
Panglao is visited by tourists for the pristine Alona Beach, from where tours can be organised to world famous diving sites, and stunning tropical islands like Pamilacan and Balicasag. The area around the beach has a strip with restaurants and various shops, though nowhere on the scale of Boracay. It's basically a family oriented vacation place, however as elsewhere in the Philippines you should not be suprised to see middle aged (or even older) white men with 20-30 year old filipinas. The Alona beach area has a few bars and maybe one disco where you can meet fellow travellers or even the local ladyboys if so inclined. Overall it's a very relaxed tropical island experience, recommended mainly for families or divers. If you are looking for more action, head to Boracay where the tourist infrastructure is about 50 times bigger than here.
Hinagdanan cave - there is a tiny lagoon inside a coral cave. Enjoy a dip in a fresh water. The cave is completely dark, the guides have a flashlight. The admission is around ₱20. To get here, you can take a bus or mini van towards Panglao island from Tagbilaran. If you tell them you are going to Hinagdanan cave, they will know what intersection to drop you off at.
Dolphin watching - boats leave from Alona beach at dawn and will take you to see dolphins having their morning exercises. It is important to book your boat a day ahead of time because the dolphins appear quite early.
- Just One Breath Freediving, Alona Beach, ☎ +639174324911 ([email protected]), . Learn how to freedive with AIDA recognized courses. One day beginner course for P5500 and three day courses from 12.500 depending on level. Traning and fun dives also available. edit
- Pata Negra Dive Center Alona Beach, Alona Beach Panglao Bohol, ☎ +63 929 355 0016 ("[email protected]""), . Padi Dive center. Dive Courses and daily trips to Panglao, Balicasag and Pamilacan Scuba Diving. Aqualung dive equipment for rent. edit
- Reef Seekers Alona Beach Dive Center, Alona Beach, ☎ +639497330930 ([email protected]), . Padi Dive center. edit
- Piratas Alona Dive Center ([email protected]), Alona Beach, Tawala (Turn left when you arrive at the beach), ☎ +63 948 737 9395, . 8am-9pm. PADI Courses from beginner to the professional PADI divemaster course. They're PADI MSDT instructors teach also a variety of specialty courses. Fun dives, dive trips to Balicasag, Pamilacan and Cabilao or go snorkeling with whale sharks! Brand new cressi equipment. From 1100 per fun dive. edit
Panglao has some small souvenirs that you may want to get but if you want to get something memorable, yet short lived, try the fish, some of the best in the Philippines, the bars and restaurants along the beach are home to it all.
There are various restaurants along the strip on Alona beach, in most places the food is a bit expensive by Philippines standards but still very cheap by Western Standards. There are also a few street food vendors selling things like barbecued meat and satays as well as some local dishes which most people probably would not want to try.
There are a couple bars in the area, where sometimes they have discos, it's a good place to
meet local boys and girls, and sometimes locals who themselves are not sure whether they're boys
or girls. Very friendly and relaxed atmosphere, just don't expect too much, because it can be
small scale depending on when you visit.
- Badi's Bar, Main road, Alona beach, Tawala, Panglao, Bohol, Philippines, 6340 (Opposite BDO Bank), . 7pm - 3am. Badi's Bar is the first diver's bar in Alona. A wide range of drinks, free shots every hour, fully aircon disco with DJs all night. (9.5547069,123.7741031) edit
Accomodation directly on Alona beach can be a bit pricey by Asian standards, but you get what you pay for as it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the Philippines. If you're on a tight budget, you will find cheap accomodation in the area if you look around a bit.
- Alona Kew White Beach Resort, Tawala, ☎ + 63 38 5029042, +63 38 502-9027, . Bungalows and well-appointed rooms set in lush surroundings. from ₱2,000. edit
- Alonaland Resort, ☎ 63 38 502-9007, . 100 m from Alona Beach. Rooms, casitas, and villas. Air-con with a refrigerator, shower, luggage rack, balcony/deck, and internet. The casitas and villas come with more features and include a kitchenette, cable TV, and dining area. ″. edit
- Amarela Resort, Barangay Libaong, Panglao Island, ☎ +63) 38 502-9497, . Mediterranean-style villa built on top of a gentle slope. The restaurant, which is managed by the same resort, has a spectacular view of the mountains and the sea.Swimming pool and a well manicured flower garden with steps leading down towards the beach. Because there are no other resorts nearby, the beach was able to keep its cleanliness and exclusivity. Starfish and other marine life can be easily spotted along the shallow waters. This resort is a quiet alternative to the usually busy Alona Beach. edit
- Amorita Resort, # 1 Ester A. Lim Drive Brgy. Tawala, ☎ +63 38 502-9003, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 1200. Amorita Resort is a beach resort in Panglao Island, Bohol located at a quiet end of Alona beach. Amorita is the perfect destination for private and intimate escapes making it perfect for weddings, honeymoons, and families. From ₱9,000. edit
- Belleview Rock Resort, Tawala, ☎ +63 38 502 7079, . From ₱2,500. edit
- Bita-Ug Beach Resort, Daorong, Danao, Panglao, ☎ +63 38 5028106,+63 919 225 9935, +63 922 865 0162, +63 927 435 6709 ([email protected], [email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Bita-ug Beach Resort offers air-conditioned cottages in a unique native design. ₱1600. edit
- Bohol Beach Club, Bolod, ☎ +63 38 411-5222 to 24 ([email protected]), . 1.5 km stretch of white sand, the largest shoreline in that area. Large pool and lots of watersport activities. edit
- Bohol Bee Farm, Dao, Dauis, Panglao Island, Bohol 6339, Philippines, ☎ +63 38 5022288, . Bohol Bee Farm in Panglao Island, Bohol, Philippines reminds you to take a break and bask in its lush surroundings for a change. It offers Honeycomb Suites, The Barn Room, Garden Bungalow, Honeycomb Suites Garden View all equipped with Air conditioning and cable television. Some of its facilities and services are Function Room(s) / Meeting Room(s), Restaurant / Cafe / Bar, Massage Area, Sun Bathing Platform. Bohol Bee Farm offers a free shuttle ride from/to pier/airport. Just contact our staff about your time of arrival so we can prepare your ride and take you at the farm safely. edit
- Bohol Vantage Resort, 1 Panorama St, Mayacabac, Dauis, ☎ +63 38 5023106, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. On Dayo Hill, only 5 km from Tagbilaran, with a 210⁰ view overlooking Bohol and the islands of the Central Visayas. Newly built with 6 apartments and 8 hotel rooms. The apartments are about 65-90m² and include a spacious roofed terrace and kitchen with cooking facilities. Hotel rooms are about 44m². Both the hotel rooms and apartments have A/C, refrigerator, cableTV, DVD player, free internet and safety deposit box. edit
- Chiisai Natsu Resort, Panglao Island Circumferential Road, ☎ +63 38 502-4115 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Chiisai Natsu Resort caters to single vacationers, families and corporate groups. edit
- Chill-out Guesthouse Panglao, Tawala, Alona Beach, ☎ +63 38 502-4480, . Chill-out Guesthouse Panglao offers fan and airconditioned room with terrace, soft beds and private toilet and bath. Its facilities and services include chillout bar, wireless internet access, tour assistance and massage services. edit
- Hayahay Resort, Alona Beach, ☎ +63 38 502 9056, . for diving enthusiasts and holiday seekers. This Alona Beach resort has an open restaurant on the beach, 11 comfortable rooms with private bath and Wi-Fi access, and water activities like snorkeling, dolphin watching, and scuba diving. edit
- Isola Bella Beach Resort, Lagitan, Poblacion, Panglao Island, ☎ +63 38 416-0781 ([email protected]), . Luxury aircon rooms, cable TV, personal ref, hot and cold shower, spacious CR, all rooms facing swimming pool. Extra bed available, parking space, free coffee, free breakfast and free round trip to Virgin Island 15 min boat ride away. edit
- Kalipayan Resort, Atlantis Dive Center, Alona Beach, Tawala, ☎ +63 38 50290058 ([email protected]), . Cottages with A/C in a huge garden at the far end of Alona Beach. 5 min walk to beach. Nice pool, excellent restaurant and dive centre. Free Wi-Fi. edit
- La Pernela Beachfront Resort, San Isidro, Dauis, ☎ +63 90 6396 2748, . Comfortable rooms, all have A/C with bathroom and a closet. Swimming pools for adults and children, restaurants, and two function rooms. Transfer assistance, boat trips (island hopping and dolphin watching), motorbike rentals, and bohol tour packages. From PHP 3,990. edit
- Linaw Beach Resort, 9999 Daorong, Danao, ☎ +63 38 502-9345 ([email protected]), . One of the newest beach resorts situated directly on a very private section of Alona Beach. Has a vegetarian restaurant and serves cocktails. edit
- Lost Horizon Annex, Alona Beach, Tawala, ☎ +63 38 502 4091, +63 38 502 4092, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12noon. Rooms with balcony, ceiling fans, private toilet and bath. Restaurant, bar, boat and land tours, and internet. edit
- MOON FOOLS HOSTEL, Alona Beach, Tawala, ☎ +63 925 588 9868, +63 38 422 8433, . Brand new, eco-industrial themed green hostel that's 5-min. walk to the white powdery sands of Alona Beach. FREE BREAKFAST! Perfect jump-off point to all your Bohol activities and itineraries being easily accessible to public transport and surrounded by local and international restos, bars, atm, banks, money changers, and money transfer shops. A convenient store and souvenir shop is located in the same building. edit
- Olman's View Resort, Riverside, Totolan Dauis, ☎ +63 38 5000978, +63 38 4113421, . From ₱3,250. edit
- Panglao Island Nature Resort and Spa, Bingag, Dauis, ☎ +63 38 4115878, +63 38 4115982 ([email protected]), . A small cluster of private rooms. edit
- Panglao Princess Suites, Doljo Coast, ☎ +63 38 5028228, . Family-owned vacation home. 3 two bedroom, 2.5 bath suites, dining room and kitchen with on-site management, professional security, internet and a car & driver. Each unit has a lanai with views of the ocean. edit
- Panglao Regents Park Resort, Ester Lim Drive, Alona Tawala, Panglao, Bohol Philippines 6340, ☎ +63 38 5024080 ([email protected]), . Panglao Regents Park in Bohol Philippines Offers 100 rooms equipped with Air conditioning,Cable television,Cable television,Hot and cold water,Room safe,Complementary Coffee & Water Daily. This Panglao resort provides guest with Tour Assistance - Bohol Tours, Function Room,Bar / Lounge, Concierge Service Online Reservation available. edit
- Paragayo Resort, Alona Beach, ☎ +63 38 502 9172, . 3 min walk from Alona Beach. edit
- Sherwood Bay Resort, Riverside, Songculan, Dauis, ☎ +63 38 5022035, +63 38 416-0655 (fax: +63 38 5022035), . Water sport activities, such as scuba diving, snorkelling, and jet skiing. Cliff edge restaurant, jacuzzi, and infinity pool. edit
- Sun Apartelle, ☎ +63 38 502 9063, . Apartment resort/hotel. From €59.. edit
- Walk Inn Haven Apartelle Alona Beach, ₱800 (Feb 2013) Fan, cold water shower, free Wi-Fi
- Casa Nova Garden, Alona Beach, Tawala (On the gar end of the beach, 5 minutes walk from the sea, past Kalipayan Resort.). The cheapest place on Alona, offers simple rooms with fan and shared bath starting at P250. Bring repellant or mosquito net as the bamboo walls are not mosquito proof at all. Free WiFi, pool table and swimming pool, and nice garden, although rooms are small and not very cozy. P250-P800. edit
- South Palms Resort Panglao, Brgy. Bolod, Panglao Island, Bohol 6340, Philippines, ☎ +63 38 502 8288, . South Palms Resort Panglao in Bohol, Philippines is approximately half hour away from the airport and pier. It offers 90 rooms and villas that are splashed with earth stones, soothing lights, and accentuated with wooden furniture crafted by the Boholanos. Some of its facilities and services are Wi-Fi in public areas, poolside bar, safety deposit boxes, outdoor pool, car park, 24-hour room service, laundry service, shuttle service, and tours. Some of the nearby attractions at the hotel are Chocolate Hills, Tarsier Botanika Park, Loboc River, and Hinagdanan Cave. edit
- Panglao Island Franzen Residences, Danao, Panglao, Bohol, Philippines, ☎ +63 38 5028352, . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1200. A fairly good accommodation equivalent to almost a three star hotel at a very good price. Located at the crossroads that leads to three great angelic beaches. 600 meters to Alona Beach. 500 meters to Kalipayan Beach and 1200 meters to the Linaw Beach. The hotel has Air conditioned Rooms, good facilities and superior infrastructure. The environment is spacious and very peaceful and isolated from the bustling noises on the beach at night. The hotel also offers parking space. around $40-60 USD. (9° 33' 4.15'' N,123° 45' 58.72'' E) edit
- Bohol Coco Farm, Purok 1, Libaong. Nice budget backpackers in the middle of a lush green organic coconut farm. Good and cheap restaurant and great snorkelling on the close by beach. from ₱350. edit
- Villa Kasadya, Daorong, Danao, Panglao, Bohol, ☎ +63-998-510-8801, . Villa Kasadya is a luxury space that is comprised of 3 serene cottages that are roomy and exquisitely fitted out with the modern-class. Offering the utmost privacy and harmony and yet is conveniently situated just a short walk away from Alona Beach in Panglao edit
Jadski - This is a money changer, internet café and souvenir shop located near the police office just off of Alona Beach. Credit cards should not be used there, as credit card number thefts have been reported by tourists after using it at that place.