Central part of Panevėžys: Senvagė
(Old River Bed), recreation area beloved by citizens
Panevėžys is a city in Lithuania. It is the fifth-biggest city in Lithuania with population of 96,328, situated at the crossroad of several important roads and is unofficial capital of Aukštaitija region.
Panevėžys literally means "Along Nevėžis River". It is an important industrial city and cultural centre of Aukštaitija region.
It is supposed that Vytautas the Great, the Grand Duke of Lithuania, came across an old pagan temple here on his way back from Samogitia to Vilnius on 1414. It was "Along Nevėžis River", and it became an impact that led to the further development of the settlement. In written sources Panevėžys was first mentioned in 7 Sep 1503 by the Grand Duke of Lithuania Alexander Jagiellon, who is considered the founder of the city. Panevėžys maintained a status of a Royal town until the end of 18th century and almost became a proper city in 1792, however didn't manage to get the municipal privileges: Lithuania was swallowed by Russian Empire.
After numerous fights for independence that continued here until 1864, the first factories were established; industrialization, along with banking, commerce and improved educational system, intensified the city growth. By the beginning of 20th century it became the fourth most important city in Lithuania.
After WWII, under the soviet rule the natural process of the city's evolution was disrupted: it was transformed into a major industrial center, at the same time almost destroying the old town in accordance with "industrialization policy" conducted by Comunist Party. Citizens managed to stop the destruction and preserve the central district with its urban layout, however ignorant attempts to completely change the city look still can be seen.
Recently the city is trying to maintain the best that it has: its urban landscape with a beautifully restored historical, administrative and cultural centre, the cathedral and churches, small wooden houses interestingly compatible with the taller brick buildings, the main green square and cosy groves here and there, a popular shopping and entertainment complexes, banks, modern cafes and small suburban markets - everything is within reach, no crowds, no parking congestion. When strangers from abroad cross almost the entire town and ask, 'so when will we reach the city?', locals thank for the compliment.
- Panevėžys Tourism Information Centre (Panevėžio turizmo informacijos centras), Laisvė Sq 8 (Centre, west of the bus station), ☎ +370 45 508-080 ([email protected]). Apr-Sep: M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-14:00; Oct-Mar: M-F 08:00-17:00. Information Centre aims to promote the cognitive and cultural tourism in the city and its surroundings, collect cartographic publications, publish informative publications on the city's sights. Provides information about local tourism resources, places to visit and to see, sells souvenirs, bilingual maps of the city. Provides assistance to the residents and other visitors in obtaining visas and travel insurance when going to travel abroad. (55.727926,24.363039)
Panevėžys has no commercial airport of it's own, but has three international airports within the 150 km radius - Vilnius International Airport (VNO) to the south-east, Kaunas International Airport (KUN) to the south and Riga International Airport (RIX) in Latvia to the north. Those airports serve number of destinations in Europe and beyond.
There is a regular 3rd class train running from Šiauliai to Panevėžys on workdays and up to Rokiškis through Panevežys on weekends.
Panevėžys is easily accesible by international road Via Baltica connecting Warsaw, to Riga and Tallinn that crosses Kaunas in Lithuania. There are about 130km from Kaunas and 153km from Riga (Latvian capital) to Panevėžys by Via Baltica.
From capital Vilnius reachable by the A2 motorway, distance 137km.
Panevėžys is at one of the main intersections of Lithuanian roads, a lot of buses are going to and from it, as well as stopping enroute.
As the city name identifies it, it is a city on Nevėžis River, however the river is used only for recreational purposes and not for water transport.
Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, coordinates 55.732259, 24.369371
Park near Senvagė
(Old River Bed) in city centre.
- Narrow gauge railroad
In the district
- Krekenava Regional Park
- Important attraction is Cido Arena built in 2008. Arena generally hosts basketball games as well as concerts; also it has an indoor 250 m long olympic cycling track, the only such in the Baltic States. Cido Arena is capable to accommodate up to 7,300 people during the concerts, a little less for sports events.
- Miltinis Drama Theatre (named after famous director Juozas Miltinis). Ticket office phone +370 45 584-614, online reservation [email protected] , ticket office working hours M-Sa 10:00-18:00, lunch break 14:00-15:00, Su 11:00-18:00, lunch break 14:00-16:00.
- Rožynas (Rosarium), Piniava Ln 10 (north of city centre, east of the A2 Rd/Smėlynės St in Rožynas district), ☎ +370 45 577-774 ([email protected]). Daily 12:00-24:00. Not an actual rosarium but a “shopping and entertainment center”, though the shopping here refers to the regular “Iki” grocery store. The rest of premises allocated for bowling-billiard club “Alex” (1,200m², info and reservation +370 45 577-865), gym (330m², info and reservation +370 45 577-754, e-mail [email protected]), some other entertainments, also a pharmacy and a bank. A popular place for leisure indoors. (55.757682,24.369823)
- Siaurukas (Aukshtaitian Narrow Gauge Railway), the station at Geležinkelio St 23 (north from both city centre and Nevėžis river), ☎ Ticket reservation and information +370 610 36085 ([email protected], fax: +370 45 577-685). Office M-F 08:00-16:30. Construction of the railway started in 1891, it reached Panevėžys eight years later. Between the 1st and 2nd world wars the railway was thriving, the new railway station was built. Later it lost its importance and popularity and starting since 1999 it practically didn't operate, although the eastern edge of the railway, in Anykščiai town surroundings, was used for tourist purposes on various occasions. During 2014 the original retro style interwar train station building was recreated and officially opened to public on 29 Sep, the trains began to run soon after. The narrow gauge railway now is integrated into the global tourism network “Amber Road”. Charter trips, one 1st class car ~€500-1000 depending on route and program. Also regular trips available for the regular price. (55.746203,24.355793)
- Babilonas is a shopping and entertainment mall at the western edge of town, address Klaipėdos St 143A. It also is a part of a wider Babilonas real estate development.
- Babilonas I is a separate shopping centre next to the Babilonas, address Savitiškio St 61.
- Vakarinė žara (Evening Glow), S. Dariaus ir S. Girėno St 4, ☎ +370 699 58865 ([email protected], fax: +370 45 526-666). M-Th 11:00-20:00, F-Su 11:00-24:00. €3-10, day lunch 11:00-15:00 €2.5-4.
- Aragvi Respublikos St 28 (centre, W of the old river bed), ☎ +370 689 76999 ([email protected]). Th 20:00-24:00, F 24:00-05:00, Sa 20:00-24:00, Su 24:00-05:00. Operates as a cafe-restaurant at a daytime. Cash only. (55.730505,24.359708)
- Naktinis Tbilisis (Night Tbilisi), Molainių St 15 (W/SW of centre, next to the Norfa supermarket in Molainiai district), ☎ +370 689 16164 ([email protected]). Th-Sa 21:00-05:00. Dress code: dressy. Cards accepted. (55.721791,24.330126)
- Gandralizdis (Stork Nest), Jūros St 20, Dembava village, LT-38185 Panevėžys district (Eastern side of the pool (dammed river Nevėžis) in the eastern Panevėžys suburb, at the nice alone-standing farmstead), ☎ +370 45 594-422 ([email protected]). 11:00-23:00. Cafe-bar, Lithuanian traditional cuisine (pancakes, potato dishes, meat, salmon, game dishes), beer, strong drinks. Snacks ~€2-2.5, main course ~€4.5-7.5. (55.732798,24.400687)
- Kafenhauz Ukmergės St 3 (centre, several metres NW from the bus station), ☎ +370 699 95000 ([email protected]). Su-W 10:00-24:00, Th-Sa 10:00-01:00. Cafe-bar, has 60 seats on the 1st floor and a luxurious banquet hall on the 2nd floor (25 seats). Three TV screens. Suitable for banquets, receptions, team parties, conferences. Day lunch (12:00-15:30) ~€3; business lunch (15:30-20:00) €4.5-6; trout ~€5.5, specialty Kafenhauz ~€7.5. (55.728305,24.363618)
- Conviva Laisvė Sq 16 (Centre, SW of the bus station, car entrance from Savanorių Sq), ☎ +370 640 35300 ([email protected], fax: +370 45 508-303). Small, cosy hotel in the very centre, has 10 rooms. Single and twin €47-76; suite for 1 person €73, for 2 persons €93. Breakfast inclusive. In case of check-in with no reservation in advance, fee is required. (55.727147,24.362966)
- Romantic Hotel Kranto St 24 (Centre, north of the bus station, north of the green area, close to the river), ☎ +370 45 584-860 ([email protected], fax: +370 45 581-162). The largest good quality hotel located int the historic old mill (originally built in 1848) in the city centre. Offers: SPA center, restaurant and conference halls. 73 rooms. Prices start from €65; comfort double, deluxe twin and deluxe double €175 each, lux €200. (55.733591,24.361753)
- Šermutas Panevėžys Bypass 5, Šilagalio village, Panevėžys elderate (By the bypass A17, right at its junction with the A2 motorway, south of the city itself), ☎ +370 45 401-010 ([email protected], fax: +370 45 401-015). checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. Convenient location by the main roads outside the city itself. Has restaurant and conference rooms. Reservation form on the website. Different room types without breakfast €30-125. (55.670431,24.34999)
The Panevėžys (both town and the district) phone code is 45 and the six digit local subscriber number.