Panauti is a small historical city in Nepal 36 km SE from Kathmandu.
Panauti is one of the oldest towns in Nepal, consisting of many temples that are still present till this day dating back to the 15th Century or earlier. It is well known for its classic design and Indreswor Temple.
There is a big bus park in the center of town. Buses going to Kathmandu, Dhulikhel, Bhaktapur and Banepa. The journey to Kathmandu takes about 1.5 hours, ~Rs60 (Oct 2012).
- The Indreshwor temple is one of the largest and tallest pagoda style temples in Nepal. Entrance fee for Indreshwor temple Square & Panauti museum is Rs300 (with exception to residents of SAARC countries which should pay Rs100).
- Panauti Hotel, Panauti-5, Kavre, Nepal (For directions see map http://panautihotel.com/contact.php), ☎ 011 440055 ([email protected]), . 25-75$ depending on a season. edit
- Ananda Café & Guest House (In a very close proximity to Indreshwor temple), . A very simple rooms in a pretty old building. Rs500+taxes. edit
- Banepa - busy crossroads small town
- Dhulikhel - village with a view of the mountains. It offers a nice quiet setting to wander the streets and see the 'non-tourist' side of Nepali life.