Palmerston North  is in the lower North Island of New Zealand. It is situated in the Manawatu district.
Palmerston North has a population of approx. 75,000, is the seventh largest city in New Zealand and is the largest provincial city in the region.
It's the home of the largest campuses of Massey University and the Universal College of Learning (UCOL) and also the International Pacific College (IPC), making Palmerston North a student oriented city currently home to around 18,000 students. It is also the home of the Linton Military Camp and has the RNZ Airforce Base, Ohakea, close by. The Adidas Institute of Rugby, based at Massey University focuses on improving the skills of the All Blacks the national rugby union team, though sightings of them there are rare.
- Visitor Information Center is in The Square, ☎ +64 6 350 1922 , fax +64 6 350 1929 , ([email protected]).
Palmerston North Airport (IATA: PMR, ICAO: NZPM) is on the outskirts of the suburb of Milson and 5 km (3.1 mi) north-east of the CBD. It services scheduled domestic operations, charter flights and General Aviation. Road access is from either Airport Drive or McGregor Street.
Air New Zealand operates from Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Hamilton.
Flights from Air Post, Air Freight, Massey University's School of Aviation, commuter airlines such as Air2there, Air National, Vincent Aviation and Rescue Fire Services use the airport. It is also used for training purposes by RNZAF squadrons based at the nearby Ohakea base.
The airport provides the normal NZ Aviation Security Service and has a Air New Zealand Koru Lounge in the terminal.
Palmerston North is 7 hr by car from Auckland and 2 hr from the capital Wellington on State Highway 1 (SH1).
- Naked Bus  offers the cheapest land transport option into Palmerston North with fares starting at $1 if you book early enough.
Palmerston North is also on the main railway line between Auckland and Wellington
Palmerston North is built around The Square. Railway lines used to run through the Square, to the station, goods and shunting yards on Main Street west. This proved to be extremely impractical so the station was moved in 1964-66 and the site was subsequently turned into a park, known as the Railway Land. This explains why the roads radiating outwards from the Square are so wide because they used to accommodate the railway tracks. Most places are easily accessible by foot.
One of the advantages of Palmerston North is that it is compact, flat and easy to cycle around. The main educational institutions have cycle-lanes from the city centre. The main route to Massey University along Fitzherbert Avenue is packed with cyclists every morning.
- Universal College of Learning, .
- Te Manawa, Address 396 Main Street , ☎ +64 6 355-5000 ([email protected]), (fax +64 6 358-3552), . Open:10AM-5PM daily including weekends and public holidays (except Christmas Day). Combines a museum, art gallery and interactive science center, to create a fusion of life, art and mind. Free admission to Life and Art galleries. Mind galleries: $6 adult, $4 child, $15 family.
- New Zealand Rugby Museum, 87 Cuba St, ☎ +64 6 358 6947 ([email protected]),( fax +64 6 358 6947), . Open M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Su 1.30PM-4PM. Tour and rugby groups by arrangement. Contains NZ's biggest and most comprehensive collection of rugby memorabilia and records. adults $5, children $2.
- City Library, 4 The Square. ☎ +64 6 351 4100 ([email protected]) , (fax +64 6 351 4102), . M,Tu,Th 10AM-6PM, W,F 10AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 1PM-4PM. 'New' award-winning Central Library.
- Ruahine AFC (Palmerston North Youth Football), ([email protected]), . Palmerston North's best youth football games. edit
- Centrepoint Theater, Pitt & Church St , ☎ +64 6 354 5740 (email [email protected] , fax +64 6 354-5743), . Performances on Tu at 6.30PM, W-Sa 8.00PM, no performance M. Stages a wide variety of plays. Has a fully-licenced bar plus coffees and desserts.
- Regent on Broadway, 63 Broadway Ave, ☎ +64 6 350 2100 ([email protected]), fax +64 6 350 2108), . Stages many plays, stunningly refurbished.
- The Esplanade, . Beautiful gardens (including a stunning rose garden), conservatory, walks, strolls along the Manawatu River, picnics, an aviary, playground for the kids , paddling pool, free electric BBQ's and a scenic railway. Victoria House, a historic building (the original Palmerston North's post office) is situated in the grounds. Open from dawn to dusk. The Education Centre and conservatory is open weekdays 10AM-4PM and weekends 12PM-4PM.
- Lido Aquatic Centre, Park Rd. (Alongside the Palmerston North Holiday Park and the Esplanade), ☎ +64 6 357 2684 ([email protected]), . Indoor facility open M-Th 6AM-8PM, F 6AM-9PM. Public holidays and weekends 8AM-8PM. Outdoor facilities open during the Summer months M-F 6AM-7PM Weekends and public holidays 8AM-8PM. Covers an area of 1.62 hectares with indoor and outdoor pools, spa pool, toddlers' pool, a diving tower and two hydroslides. Adults $2.50. Child $1.50.
- DIY Guided Bike Tours, bike while enjoying a fully supplied audio guide commentary
- Indoor paintball and go karts, 23 Bennett St. Paintball: ☎ +64 6 353 5092. Go karts: ☎ +64 6 353 5082. ([email protected]) Go kart (fax +64 6 353 5084), . Fun whatever the weather.
- Manawatu Gorge walking track, Enjoy the beauty and diversity of the New Zealand bush, and views of the spectacular gorge along the way.
- Check out the specialist boutiques along George Street.
- Try the malls at the Downtown Complex in Broadway Avenue (with its 8 cinema multiplex) and The Plaza.
Palmerston North has more eating out places per head of population than anywhere else in NZ.
- Barista 77 George St. ☎ +64 6 3572614, . Innovative and interesting casual dining.
- Downtown Centre Foodcourt Wide selection.
- Lone Star Restaurant, 36 The Square, ☎ +64 6 355 1986. Lovely food, good value, friendly staff.
- Monsoon Asian Kitchen, 200 The Square (opposite the Library), ☎ +64 6 359 2919. Asian. Small but tasty.
- Mr India Tandoori Restaurant, 79E George St, ☎ +64 6 354 5075. Pakistani
- Pompeii's 355 Ferguson St. ☎ +64 6 359 0059. Italian. Go for the pizza.
- Restaurant De Coree, 94 Fitzherbert Avenue, ☎ +64 6 354 1444. Serves delicious Korean meals.
- The Stage Door Cafe, King St (Behind the Regent Theatre right next to the stage door), ☎ +64 6 359 2233, . Coffee, great food, and retro furniture. Very popular with students from UCOL. edit
- Stage Door Cafe now also has a Mini cafe in the UCOL Atrium.
- Subway, 69 The Square (below The Fisherman's Table), ☎ +64 6 357 6017.
- Thai House Restaurant, 88 Fitzherbert Ave, ☎ +64 6 357 0883. Good authentic food.
- Yatai Japanese Izakaya Restaurant, 316 Featherston St, ☎ +64 6 356 1316.  Warm and welcoming. Great Japanese food and drink.
- Zumak Sushi Bar, 406 Main St, ☎ +64 6 353 5441. Japanese and Korean cuisine. $1 off all meals over $10 on Tuesdays.
- Rose and Crown Olde English Pub, 743 Main St. ☎ +64 6 355 3660.
- The Brewers Apprentice- Monteiths Bar, 334 Church St. ☎ +64 6 358 8888, . Stylish and respectable.
- Breakers Cafe & Bar168-190 Rangitakei St, .
☎ +64 6 952 7700.
- Pavilion Motel, Cnr Fitzherbert Av & Manawaroa St, . 17 modern units including studio and 1-bedroom units. All with microwaves and a kitchenette, and 2-bedroom apartments with full kitchens. Most units have spa baths. edit
- Avenue Motel, 116 Fitzherbert Ave (1 min stroll from the CBD), ☎ +64 6 356 3330, . On a quiet back section. Private spa pools, free wifi. edit
- Hotel Coachman, 140 Fitzherbert Ave ("""), ☎ +64 6 356 5065 (), . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 10AM. 72 hotel & motel rooms with SkydigitalTV, mini bar. Some studio motel rooms have cooking facilities. Pool, gymnasium and a sauna. Has a bar and facilities suitable for weddings and functions. 24 hr reception&room service, guest laundry. Incorporates La Patio Cafe restaurant . Room prices $99-$400. edit
- Comfort Inn Kauri Court, 248 Fitzherbert Ave, ☎ 6 356 6040, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. Studio suites and one, two or three bedroom units. Cooked or continental breakfast daily. edit
- Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, 175 Cuba St, ☎ +64 6 355 5895, . checkin: 2.00pm; checkout: 11.00am. Modern, well appointed 4 star hotel accommodation in the hub of the CBD with restaurant and bar, free unlimited WiFi & parking, large conference & weddings venue. edit
The central location of Palmerston North means that it is an easy 2-3 hr drive to the wineries of Martinborough and Hawkes Bay and the skifields of the Central Plateau (Whakapapa and Turoa).
- Martinborough - visit the Martinborough wineries in South Wairarapa
- Hawkes Bay - visit the Hawkes Bay wineries, New Zealands 2nd largest wine region that has been producing wines for around 100 years.