Palmer is a city in the Southcentral region of Alaska, within the Matanuska-Susitna Valley (Mat-Su Valley).
- Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is the airport an hour away in Anchorage. It has flights to and from various places in the continental US, Hawaii, Eastern Asia and Japan, and several small villages in Alaska.
- Palmer Municipal Airport is a small, private-use airport.
- Route 1 runs through Palmer. To the south an hour away is Anchorage, the largest city in the state. Further south, many hours away, is Canada, and eventually the US. From Palmer to Seattle is a 43 hour drive.
- Musk Ox Farm: A large farm with musk oxes. Surprisingly fascinating.
- Hatcher Pass: An area for hiking and other outdoor activities.
- Independence Mine: An abandoned gold mine near Hatcher Pass dating back to 1906 that has been converted into a state historical park. The mine contains several buildings from the mining town and historical information on gold mining in Alaska. Heavy fog in the upper portions of the area can occasionally obscure the view; on the other hand, walking through the ghost town in fog can be an interesting experience. Reaching the town from the parking lot requires about a half-mile walk up a gentle slope.
Palmer's proximity to the Mat-Su mountains allows for various outdoor activities within the mountains, such as hiking and snowshoeing.
- The Butte, Bodenburg Butte Loop. A short hike with a private and public use side. Fairly easy climb, roughly an hour length for even slower hikers. Private side (south) is steeper and dustier, but a more direct climb. The public side (north) has a cleaner and better groomed trail but is primarily in the woods and longer in length. parking fees apply. edit
- Turkey Red, 550 South Alaska Street, 907-746-5544 A cafe and bakery with international cuisine, wine and beer. They serve local produce.
- Vagabond Blues Inc 642 S Alaska St, (907) 745-2233. Comfortable atmosphere, local art and great coffee. To eat, they have soups, salads and great bread.
- Gold Miner's Hotel: 918 S Colony Way, Palmer, AK - (907) 745-6160
- Peak Inn: 775 W Evergreen Ave, Palmer, AK - (907) 746-5757