Pagudpud is a municipality in the province of Ilocos Norte, Philippines approximately 560 km and from 10 to 12 hours by road from Manila.
Before the Second World War, a native of Batangas came to the place to sell blankets and mosquito nets. The place was still then named “Tongotong”, which was one of the barrios of the Municipality of Bangui, Ilocos Norte. He sold his wares from one house to another and he did not notice that it was already noon time. He was too tired and hungry, that he sought shelter in one of the houses nearby and probably to ask the hospitable owner of the house for a simple lunch. After the pedlar had settled down, the owner of the house asked the peddler his purpose. The peddler did not at all understand the question, but just merely answered, “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,” in his usual Batangas accent. This reply became the byword of the residents of Barangay Tongotong even if they didn’t know the meaning of what the peddler had said.
Months later, a native of the Bicol Region came to seek employment in one of the logging companies which was operating in the locality. The place at that time had a lot of virgin forests and mountains, and logging business was still legal. The stranger did not know where the office of the company was located, so he just alighted in Tongotong even if it was not still the place where he was supposed to go. He asked one of the bystanders the name of the place and he immediately replied, “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,” because the bystander knew that he was Tagalog and that was the only Tagalog words that he knew. The amazed Bicolano just interpreted that the place might be Pagud-pudpod.
There and then Tongotong was changed to Pagud-pudpod and later shortened to Pagudpud.
According to the elders Pagudpud is a deep Ilocano word which means soft sandy soil “kuppuoy” a kadaratan.
There might be some confusion about beaches/resorts in the area as all of them are referred as Pagudpud.
- Saud Beach - located in barangay Saud, 4 km from town of Pagudpud. The beach is divided between the private resorts and muncipal section. The access to muncipal stretch costs 20 php for locals and 1 USD for foreigners.
- Maira-ira Beach - located in barangay Baloi, 19 km from town of Pagudpud. The locals usually call it "Blue Lagoon" or Hannah's. It is a public beach though and does not belong exclusively to Hannah’s Beach Resort. There is an entry fee of 20 php to barangay (at the junction with national highway) but there is no entrance fee to a beach.
- Pagudpud Beach - uninteresting beach in the town of Pagupdpud, used predominantly by fishermen, no accomodation available nearby.
You can fly into Laoag City via Philippine Airlines and then take a two hour bus (₱60), jeepney or taxi ride into Pagudpud.
There are currently two bus companies that make the trip Manila - Pagudpud in around 12 hours. They offer night trips, standard air-conditioned and deluxe sleeper buses with built-in toilet.
GV Florida Transport, Sampaloc, Manila. Standard Air-con Manila-Pagudpud, ₱650.
RCJ Bus Lines, Earnshaw cor Lacson St., Sampaloc, Manila. Tel. +63 2 741-2994, +63 2 781-9306
Alternatively, you can take one of the more frequent buses heading to Laoag and then change into a local bus (₱60, every 30 minutes) for two hours.
- Saud White Beach. Saud white beach is very popular not only in the country but also to the other parts of the world. It is a favorite place for movie producers, foreign and local correspondents, foreign travel writers to shoot their films because of its breathtaking views and unique atmosphere. It is even featured in the Internet that makes it very popular, a world–class destination. The beach is along stretch sand framing the heart shaped calm emerald water of the Saud Bay. edit
North of Pagudpud
A view of the long and winding Patapat bridge
- Bantay Abot Caves. Bantay Abot Caves means “a mountain with a hole.” A hole was found at the middle of the mountain where the waves were free to flash into its walls just like an open shore until it was wrecked by an earthquake during the 80’s. It is also called “the underground sea” for on top of the cave is a lustrous vegetative cover. Inside the cave is a church that once you are inside, you do not only hear the echoing sound of the waves, the chirping of the birds but you can also feel the cool breeze of the air. It is a favorite hangout of swallows that swarm to their roost in the late afternoon. It is a very unique creation partly surrounded by the clear blue sea. Its shore has white sand mixed with fragments of shells and rocks that can be made as a décor. Parts of the shore are forms of rocks where you can sit and relax and enjoy a lucid view of the wide sea and verdant mountains. edit
- Timmangtang Rock. Timmangtang rock stands majestically a few meters away from Bantay Abot caves. It is located along the shore and partly by the sea. You cannot separate Bantay Abot Cave from the Timmantang Rock for they are believed to be lovers, the former being the female and the later is the male. They are collectively termed as “Lover’s Rock”. This rock is like a bell-shaped, hence the name Timmantang. The rock is covered with grass and bushes. On top of it, you could see the calm blue sea and the enchanting view of Sitio Gaoa. Campfire is also very ideal at the foot of this stunning rock. edit
- Nacatnagan Cliff. The cliff is a virgin forest where different kinds of trees grow and you could hear the peeping of the birds. Wild animals can also be found within the place thus it is a perfect place for hunting. Rare ferns and wild orchids grow abundantly at the foot and at the slopes of the mountain. It is also a good site for mountain climbing because of its steep and slippery trails. On top of it, you can glimpse the panoramic view of the Pasaleng Bay, Maira-ira Point and the totality of the out of this world scene of Sitio Gaoa, Babuyan Island can also be viewed on a clear day. edit
- Malingay Cove (Blue Lagoon). It is a hidden bay found at Maira-ira Point, which is a half-moon in shape edifice, by the Nacatnagan Cliff in the east and the Dos Hermanos in the north. This place is where you can escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Reaching the place is quite tiresome for it is around 2.5 kilometers away from the highway with rigged roads and it is found at the interior part of Sitio Malingay. On the way is thick forest and you can also have glance of the sea. Malingay Cove is famous for its crystal blue water and fine white sand. edit
- Dos Hermanos Islands. Below the rocks are caves where varied and colorful tropical fishes swim abundantly that can be seen during low tides. Around Dos Hermanos Rocks submerged smaller rocks where famous delicious seaweeds "gamet" are taken. edit
- Kabigan Falls. It is an enchanting falls located at the eastern part of Barangay Balaoi and it is around 1.8 kilometers away from the national highway. This 80 feet waterfall is surrounded by thick forest and well-known for its concave basin. ₱10 entrance + ₱100 for a guide. edit
- Saguigui Falls. It is a small waterfall situated at Barangay Balaoi, 3.5 kilometers away from the national highway. This falls is not yet popular for the reason that it is not easy to get there. edit
- Winding Patapat Bridge. Patapat bridge is a winding bridge found at the foot of the cliff of the North Cordillera Mountain Ranges. It connects Barangay Balaoi and Pancian and it is about 1.2 km long. This bridge is often referred to as the “French Riviera of the North”. Along the bridge, you can pass the Mabugabog Falls that serves as a source of power for the mini hydroelectric plant. It is only during the rainy days when it shows its splendor with its water dropping rhythmically to precipice on the rocky shore of the sea below. edit
South of Pagudpud
- Cape Bojeador Lighthouse. is a cultural heritage structure in Burgos, Ilocos Norte, that was established during the Spanish Colonial period in the Philippines. It was first lit on March 30, 1892, and is set high on Vigia de Nagparitan Hill overlooking the scenic Cape Bojeador where early galleons used to sail by. It is not possible to enter the lighthouse any more (at the time of writing, November 2012), but you can climb to it and see the view from there. edit
- Kapupurawan White Rock. Kapurpurawan Rocks are rock formations created by forces of the ocean on the rocky coast of Burgos, located just a few minutes further from the lighthouse. They can be reached via a 3 km dirt road away from the national road (you can walk or hitch a ride on a busier day, or rent a tricycle that takes you there). edit
- Bolo River. It is a river that divides the Municipality of Pagudpud and Bangui. The portion of the river in Barangay Dampig, Tarrag, and Poblacion 1 have big boulders and deep water ideal for kayaking where shooting into the rapids is fun. edit
- Saud Municipal Beach. If you want to get to Saud beach and have a great day at the sea, one way of avoiding the high charges of resorts is to head to Saud Municipal Beach. It is the same stretch of beach as all the other resorts, but you avoid paying the hefty entrance fees. Once in, you can wander along and go to any part of the beach you like. ₱20 (locals), ₱40 (foreigners). edit
- Zipline over Blue Lagoon, Hannah's Beach Resort. edit
- Shooting Range, (close to Maira-ira beach). edit
Besides the many resorts and hotels that are in Saud Beach and Maira-ira Beach, there are plenty of home-stays close to the beach with prices starting at P200 per night (many of them are actually guest rooms with separate entrances, not really home-stays when you get interactions with host).
- Maria Exaltacion Lodge [M.E.] (be our Guests!), Sitio Del~Mar, Brgy. Saud, . checkin: 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. [M.E.] lodge is a few minutes walking distance from the famous Saud White Beach. It has 8 rooms: multi-colored, 6 sq.m. wide, with cable-TV, fully airconditioned & free unlimited WiFi. ₱1000 - ₱1600. edit
- Agua Seda, Maira-ira Point, ☎ 09209699166, . edit
- Apo Idon Beach Hotel, Burayoc Point, ☎ (077)6760438 / 09175100671 / 09189334464, . edit
- Evangeline Beach Resort, Burayoc Point, ☎ 09088637564, . edit
- F&C Sunset View Beach Resort, Caparispisan, ☎ 09186408677 / 09284716199 / 09178838726, . edit
- Hannah's Beach Resort, Barangay Balaoi, ☎ 09104966525, . edit
- Jun & Carol Beach Resort, Burayoc Point, ☎ 09214847746 / 09185289589 / 09205090507 / 09205740136, . edit
- Kapuluan Vista Resort, Barangay Balaoi, ☎ 09209522528 / 9209285273, . edit
- Pannzian Beach and Mountain Resort, Barangay Pancian, ☎ (2)6469020 / 09209520662, . edit
- Punta Azul Beach Resort, Maira-ira Point, ☎ 09272247825 / 09183425034, . edit
A view of the sunset at Burayoc Point taken from Pagudpud Rinnovati
- Britanya Lodge, Saud Beach, ☎ 09282385762, . edit
- Chalet Bami Guest House, Saud (near Municipal Beach Park), ☎ 09084842233 / 09198526265, . edit
- Keahana Resort, Burayoc Point, ☎ 09286085745, . (120°47'2E,18°34'48N) edit
- Madrid Beach Resort, Saud Cove, Burayoc, ☎ 0908-622-1400; ask for Ana Madrid, . For Off and Mid Peak Season Rates - ₱800 to 2,500 edit
- Napintas Vista, Saud beach, ☎ 09396203262, . edit
- Pagudpud Rinnovati, Burayoc Point, ☎ +639278904292, . edit
- Saud Beach Resort and Hotel, Burayoc Point, ☎ (02)9212856 / (02)9289853, . edit
- Terra Rika Beach and Dive Resort, Burayoc Point, ☎ (77)6760259 / (77)6760957 / 09189371752 / 09202558377, . edit
- Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex (Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex), Sito Jupiter, Saud, Pagudpud, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 11am. Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex and beach resorts close to famous Saud white sand beach in Saud, Pagudpud. Affordable rates of accommodations packages to enjoy your stay. $25-$40. edit
- Island Emprise Beach House (@ Dos Hermanos Island), Sitio Baniaran, Balaoi, Pagudpud (near Hannahs Beach Resort), ☎ 09198543983, 09278886309. checkin: 2:00PM; checkout: 12:00NN. overlooking the Dos Hermanos Island, 6 rooms with air-conditioned, tv, hot & cold shower and free wi-fi. also with separate kitchen for guests. 3000. edit
There is an ATM accepting Visa and Mastercard cards in Municipal Hall in Pagudpud. Although it only accepts local banks' cards. The nearest fully functional ATM is in Laoag city (2 hours ride by bus). So, bring enough cash.