Padang Bai (also Padangbai and Padang Bay) is a small port town in East Bali.
The main beach at Padang Bai
Most visitors to Padang Bai are there to catch a boat to Lombok and sadly miss out on a charming little place in its own right. People who do give it a chance often cancel their trip in order to spend more time in this lovely village. Spending a night or two here will certainly not be time wasted.
There is good diving and snorkeling in the immediate area, and a number of operators are present to cater for those activities. This is also a fairly convenient base from which to explore some of the wider attractions of East Bali. Accommodation tends to be quite basic and aimed at the backpacker market, but there are more upmarket options in town.
It's a great place to relax, enjoy the beach and eat fish!
Padang Bai is about 90 minutes by taxi from Ngurah Rai International Airport and a pre-paid coupon costs Rp 365,000.
Padang Bai is 54km east from Denpasar and takes about 1 hour to 90 minutes to drive from the southern tourist areas of Kuta and Legian.
Rideshare mobile apps
If you want to use one of the rideshare apps (Uber/Grab/Go-Jek etc.) to get to Kuta/Denpasar/Ubud do not set up pick up point as ferry terminal. Instead, get out of the terminal and order it outside, far from taxi drivers. There were incidents with taxi drivers and rideshare driver had to pay taxi drivers tribute in order to get out of the parking. If taxi driver will offer you to go with him, never ever tell him you are using rideshare services. Tell him you are waiting for your driver instead.
The national tour bus company Perama, has Padang Bai in its network. They will pick you up from your accommodation in many areas of Bali and take you to your destination. Perama shuttle buses to Padang Bai leave from Kuta, Sanur, Ubud, Candidasa and Lovina. Reserve one day in advance. The Perama office in Padang Bai is at Dona Restaurant, Jl Pelabuhan, near the jetty (tel: +62 363 41419).
Regular bemos ply the main east coast route between Klungkung, Padang Bai and Candidasa. Bemos routed through Padang Bai leave from Batubulan terminal in Denpasar.
Bemos and minibuses arrive at, and depart from, the port entrance; orange bemos from Amlapura via Candidasa, blue or white bemos from Klungkung and pale-brown minibuses for Amlapura or Batubulan terminal in Denpasar.
You can take Sarbagita first and stop in Batu Bulan bus station (last stop). From Batu Bulan take bus to Padang Bai, cost 30000, will stop in intersection, from here take bemo to Padang Bai Harbour cost 5000
There are slow public ferries from Lembar (Lombok) every hour, 24 hours a day. The trip normally takes four hours (but it can be considerably longer in poor weather) and costs Rp 44,000. Ferry staff often offer their private room to tourists for an extra Rp 50,000. The room is clean and comfortable with 2 or 3 beds. No evidence has been provided to support the assertion that the state slow ferry between Bali and Lombok has a poor safety standard - if one turns one's mind to it, it seems logical that a small private 'fast' vessel is far more likely to sink than a very large one. There is a ticket office, waiting area and small cafe adjacent to the pier.
Perama  runs daily cruises from Lombok (Rp 200,000) and the Gili Islands (Rp 300,000) to Padang Bai one way. The trip takes 4 hours from Gili Trawangan and 6 hours from Senggigi (Lombok). Perama Express leaves Padang Bai daily at 1:30PM and arrives at Gili Trawangan Harbour at 7AM and at Senggigi (Lombok) at 9 AM.
There are fast boat services from the Gili Islands via Teluk Kode (Lombok) to Padang Bai. Operators have been coming and going, but one constant has been the BlueWater Express  for Rp 690,000 one way. Travel time with Bluewater is around 1 hour. Bluewater Express leaves Padang Bai daily at 11:15 and arrive at Gili Trawangan at 12:30. The other operator is Wahana Gili Ocean , Gili Cat service  for Rp 660,000 one way (Gili Cat not in operation after fatal incident on Sep 15th, 2016). New operator on a larger fast boat is Patagonia Express. Travel time is 2 hours.
There is another boat service from Nusa Penida (from Sampalan) to Padang Bai. Or charter a private boat to Nusa Penida from local tour operators. Price starts from Rp500,000 for return trip. Although watch out for how calm the sea is as otherwise you're risking getting soaking wet. Travel time is about one hour.
You do not really need any transport within Padang Bai as everything is within walking distance. If you want to explore the surrounding area, motorbike rental and car rental are widely available.
Bias Tegul beach at Padang Bai
The main beach is not ideal for bathing and is somewhat littered, though not unattractive for a town beach which functions as a ferry terminal. It is generally awash with colorful double outrigger fishing boats in the shape of a marlin. The front of the boat is shaped with the point of its mouth open wide and large eyes looking to the heavens. Either side of the main beach are two other hidden coves with nice, quiet white sand beaches:
- Blue Lagoon Beach is a pleasant, small covey beach, great for snorkeling. To reach it from the main strip walk to the left end of the main beach and take the road that climbs upwards to the left at the end of the strip, follow it up and around for about 2-3 minutes and you will see the small car park with a couple of stalls and a sign down beach. The coral reef is right up to the shore and is very pretty. Best way is to enter on the far left side, where there is a coral-less canal that leads to the snorkling site. There are two restaurants with reasonable food, showers (out of action July 2014), chairs and snorkeling gear. The beach is easily accessible. To reach Blue Lagoon Beach, head east on foot over the prominent headland at the eastern end of the main bay. Follow the signs that say Blue Lagoon. Note that wading through the water can be both frustrating and dangerous due to an abundance of coral and submerged rocks. Be aware, if the water is high, there is no place for laying around at the beach. Sadly the left dry place is occupied by the two warungs. Also there can also be a lot of plastic trash on the beach and in the water at times, when the tide and wind wash up litter from out at sea.
- Bias Tugal Beach, also called Pantai Kecil (Little Beach) or The White Sand Beach, is a beautiful white sandy beach and the best beach in Padang Bai. Good for swimming, though the currents can be strong. There are several restaurants, but they are not very good. The beach is surrounded by a monstrous, unfinished resort. To reach the secluded Bias Tegul Beach, walk from the police station for 100 metres up the hill. Directly after Bamboo Paradise turn left (there's a sign that says Bias Tegul) and climb the steep hill along a construction road for about 5 minutes and then descend. Be careful going down on the hillside track. While descending - weather permitting - you should be able to see the largest mountain on Bali, Mount Agung on your left - a powerful sight. If you continue over the hill and follow the road, you will eventually come to a long, white sand beach.
If you need a break from the beaches, there are some temples to discover. These are not especially notable temples, but still worth a visit. Padang Bai has five major temples: Pura Dalem, located downtown, Pura Segara, located next to the beach in between town and the main beach, Pura Telagamas, Pura Silayukti and Pura Tanjungsari in the eastern end of Padang Bai. Of the five Pura Silayukti is the most notable, having been the home of the great Hindu sage Empu Kuturan and dating back to the 11th century, making it one of the oldest extant temples on the island. Just walk along the beach road to the end and up around the headland. Don't forget to bring a sarong and a sash.
- Silayukti Temple , Pura Khayangan Jagat Pura Luhur Silayukti, located in the village Padangbay, Manggis Karangasem district, at an altitude of 25 m from the sea surface. This temple can be reached by motorcycle or car. Mileage from the district of Karangasem to this temple about 26 km, and about 55 km from Denpasar. The history of Pura Luhur Silayukti, related with a supreme pandhitaMpu Kuturan of religion named Siwa Buddha. He came to Bali is expected by the end of the 10th century.
- Spiral Spa @ Bloo (''), Jalan Silayukti Padang Bai, ☎ +6281237356868, . 10am-20pm. Located in the Bloo Lagoon Village you can find the Spiral Spa @ Bloo. Padang Bai's only Spa Facility. Here they offer a wide range of massages, but as well Facial & Body Care, Hair treatments and organic spa products for sale. Spa service is daily available from 10am-20pm. They offer a shuttle service within Padang Bai to pick up guests. ''. ('','')
There is good snorkeling in the bay, though the snorkeling at the Blue Lagoon or White Sand Beach is much better. Beware of the current and remember basic safety rules, such as never to snorkel alone and not to swim to far off in a place that you do not know.
Several small shops in the main street of Padang Bai rent snorkeling equipment. They can also organise traditional jukung boats to bring you to the best spots and greatly increase your safety.
On a calm day expect lots of fish and great visibility.
Padang Bai is noted for its diving and the friendly dive centres are right on the beach with their own bars for after-diving refreshments.
- Absolute Scuba, Jl Pantai Silayukti, ☎ + 62 363 42088,, . 7AM-9PM.. PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Dive Resort, teaches PADI courses up to and including instructor course, in English, German, Italian, Russian and Indonesian. 1.2-3 meters deep training pool, classroom, 22 air conditioned rooms, 2 buses, 1 speedboat, 1 small boat.
- Blue Lagoon Divers, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (on the beach just in front of the pier), ☎ +62 363 42077/812 3619139 ([email protected]), . A PADI diving school.
- Bluebubble-Bali, Jl. Segara, Padang Bai, ☎ +62 811 3858827 ([email protected]), . Day trips and diving safaris around Bali. German and English speaking.
- Geko Dive Bali, Jl Silayulkti, Padang Bai, 80872, Karangasem, Bali, Indonesia (just before the end of the main beach), ☎ +62 363 41516 ([email protected]), . A PADI 5 Star dive resort and a TecRec technical dive centre with its own boats moored right in front of the shop. Run by British, French and Australians owners, it is a professional dive shop with a relaxed and laid back attitude. Guides and instructors speak English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese and Bahasa. US$50 for 2 dives.
- OK Divers ([email protected]), Jl Silayukti 6, Padang Bai, 80872, Karangasem, Bali, Indonesia, (just on the beginning of the main beach), ☎ +628113858825, . 7AM-8PM. A PADI 5 star dive center offering full range of fun diving in Padang Bai, Nusa Penida, Tulamben, Menjangan, Kubu, Gillies and Secret Bay.
- Paradise Diving Bali, Deutsche Tauchschule ([email protected]), Jl Silayukti 9B (Central Padang Bai), ☎ +62 811 393515, . German Dive Centre which offers daily dive safaris and PADI courses.
- Q-Dive Bali, Jl Silayukti 7x, Padang Bai (in the front of the Puri Rai Hotel), ☎ +62 363 41387 ([email protected], fax: +62 363 41386), . A 5 star PADI dive center offering a full range of fun dives and courses from Open Water to Assistant Instructor, as well as a wide range of specialities including NITROX, night, deep, naturalist and wreck dives. Courses are taught in English, Dutch, German, French and Spanish. Maximum of four divers per divemaster, ratios can be reduced upon request. from US$55 to 115 for 2 dives depending on sites.
There are four ATM:s in Padang Bai: Three between the Perama office and the police station on the main road coming into town. The BRI bank has an ATM next to its branch office, which does not accept VISA cards and gives a maximum of 500,000 IDR. The other two ATMs on this road are BNI (24hr with maximum of 2,000,000 IDR) and Mandiri (500,000 IDR max.) Both accept VISA cards. There is another Bank Mandiri ATM on the beach road between the ferry and the fast boat jetty (accepts VISA cards and gives a maximum of Rp 2,500,000). There are also plenty of ATMs nearby in Klungkung.
Padang Bai restaurants feature good-priced seafood and the usual travellers' fare.
- The Colonial, Jl Silayukti 6, 80872, Padang Bai, Bali, indonesia, (Part of OK Divers Resort, just on the beginning of the main beach), ☎ +628113858825, . 7AM-11PM. No Name cooks fresh, organic and delicious Indonesian and European cuisine. They also have excellent desserts, fresh juices, wraps, fish, curries, schnitzel and rendang. Restaurant has one of the best scenic views in Padang Bai as it faces the main beach. More expensive than average, but worth it.
- Depot Segara, Jl Silayukti, Gang Segara no. 10, Padang Bai (close to the ferry port), ☎ +6236341443. 7AM-10PM. A unpretentious roadside cafe serving a mixture of foods, there specialty is the freshly grilled fish. Popular with locals and people on there way to the ferry to Lombok. budget.
- Martini's Warung, (in the main square). 6AM-11PM. Set in the corner of the main square (where buses drop off), Martini's Warung is a great little local treat. With budget prices Martini's offers authentic local food, often cooked by Martini herself. Travelers and tourists alike come to chat to Martini and each-other over beers and home cooked meals. Mie Goreng is highly recommended.
- Omang Omang Cafe, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai, ☎ +628123638052, . Open from 10AM till late. opposite of the reggae bars , Omang Omang Cafe is one of the best restaurants in town. With a Western and Indonesian cuisine, very good bbq selection and various cocktails. Many homemade and home grown organic ingredients, home made cakes and their famous home made ice cream. Also a regular venue for live music. Free Wi-Fi for customers.
- Puri Rai Restaurant, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (next to the Puri Rai Hotel, but not part of it), ☎ +62 36341187. 0730 - 2200. A decent restaurant serving Indonesian, Thai and Western food including locally caught fresh sea food. (Wi-Fi) moderate.
- Pinguin, (before Sartika), Main Road close to the entrance of harbour. Made is cooking again! Very delicious food, one of the best cooks in Padang Bai is back again - highly recomended is the Ramboo Chicken! Check it out... budget.
- Surf & Turf Warung, Jl Silayukti, Gang Segara, . 6PM-10PM. Simple restaurant with large portions and low prices. Indonesian cuisine.
There are plenty of bars and small cafes to choose from along the beach in the village. On entering Padang Bai, head over to the left of the bay, keeping the ferry jetty to your right. The road here runs along the beach and is full of activity, dive shops, bars and small home stays (nice and cheap).
- Babylon Reggae Bar, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (next to Kinky Reggae Bar). A tiny reggae bar.
- Kinky Reggae Bar, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (next to Babylon Reggae Bar, opposite Omang Omang). A tiny reggae bar with extremely friendly staff. Their Long Island Ice Teas are good value and lethal! You have been warned.
- Ozone Bar & Cafe, Jl Silayukti, ☎ +62 361 41501. A long established traveler's institution in Padang Bai, the food is good, especially the pizzas. It is a lively place for a drink and a good place to swap information with fellow backpackers. They even have beer on the tap!
- Sunshine Bar, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (near Kinky Reggae Bar and Babylon Reggae Bar, but a bit closer to the main beach). Another friendly music bar. The owners are almost too friendly and will sit and chat with you about life for hours. Instruments are available and they love nothing more than getting the whole bar singing, playing guitar and bongos. a GREAT place
- Buddha bar & restaurant, Jalan Pantai Silayukti (located at Absolute Scuba). 07.00am-22.00pm. The only bar in Padang Bai with a swim-up bar, serving half price cocktails every night. Asian and western style food is prepared using only the finest ingredients. Friendly staff with a happy atmosphere.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under Rp 250,000
|| Rp 250,000-1,000,000
|| Over Rp 1,000,000
A wide choice of budget-leaning accommodation is available in the village, and along the road behind the beach. Upstairs rooms in the village places, especially up on the hill, catch the breeze and have fine views.
- Alola Inn, (At the street to Bias Tugal, turn right before the jetty, 50 metres up on the left side), ☎ +62 813 37004422 ([email protected]). Clean rooms in a nice bamboo cottage, each with private veranda, plus more expensive deluxe rooms in a house behind. Air-conditioned, hot water,beautiful swimming pool with pool Bar and jacuzzi, free Wi-Fi, laundry service,restaurant, breakfast included in the price. The place is new. very good atmosphere, a place for learning Balinese culture. Rp 225.000(standard fan room)-450.000(standard a c room).
- Dharma Homestay, Jl Silayukti, Gang Tongkol 6, Padang Bai (centrally located, 50 metres from the beach), ☎ +62 363 41394 ([email protected]), . Cheap accommodation with roof top beach view. There are eleven rooms with a choice of single or double bed, fan or air-con and hot or cold shower. Aimed at backpackers. Breakfast included. Do expect a hard sell for onward transport though. As always, it's cheaper to DIY than to go with the 'agents'.
- Kembar Inn, Jl Segara, Padang Bai (35 metres in from the beach on Jl. Segara), ☎ +62 363 41364 ([email protected]). Offers a selection of rooms from cold water only with a fan and free WIFI in 1st floor at Rp 100,000 to hot water with air-conditioning and free Wi-Fi in 2nd floor at Rp 250,000 - quite reasonable for what you get (small fan room, bed only, no outside window). Breakfast included (tea/coffee + eggs with toast + fruit salad). from 100,000.
- Kerti Beach Bungalow, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (next door to Puri Rai Restaurant). checkout: 10AM. Nicely finished clean rooms with a/c and hot water for around 300,000 or split level bamboo rooms with fan for 150,000. Cooked breakfast including choice of eggs, coffee, fruit or juice. Free Wi-Fi although connection is erratic. Small pool and very good restaurant with nice sea view from the second floor.
- Lemon House, ☎ +62 8124 637 1575 ([email protected]), . checkin: "before. New, fresh, clean home stay with panoramic balcony view of the sea & village, the 70 steps are worth it, western bathrooms with hot water showers, communal area with fast free Wi-Fi and movies, friendly staff and relaxed environment.
- Marco Inn, Jl Segara, Padang Bai (on the seafront, a 2 minute walk from the harbour into town), ☎ +62 819 99664467 ([email protected]). Sea view rooms with a roof terrace, secluded courtyard garden and a sea front bar. All eight rooms are fan cooled and have their own bathrooms, free Wi-Fi. from 100.000 to 125,000 Rp including breakfast, and you can book fast boat ticket from Padangbai to Gillis island here..
- Padangbai Beach Inn, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai. checkin: Before 10pm; checkout: 10:30 am. Great beach bungalow created in a semi modern, semi traditional style. Split level with attached bathrooms, sit toilets with cold water showers, breakfast included. Also has hotel styled rooms. No Wi-Fi. US$52 downstairs terrace rooms. (-8.530476093292236,115.51033437252045)
- Serangan Inn II, Jl Silayukti, Padang Bai (at the top of the hill, 300 metres back from the beach; follow the road alongside the market. If on the main street (coming from beach) turn right at the temple and walk to the very end,), ☎ +62 363 41425. A beautiful budget hotel on top of the hill which catches good breezes. Choice of fan-cooled and air-con rooms. Breakfast and Wi-Fi included. From Rp 130,000.
- Topi Inn, Jl Silayukti 99, Padang Bai (northern end of the bay), ☎ +62 363 41424 ([email protected]), . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 11am. Five very basic rooms suited for backpackers. Also a dozen mattresses with mosquito nets up on the balcony, beautiful going to sleep to the sound of the waves. With a good restaurant and free Wi-Fi. Double room 100.000 Rp, Balcony 50.000 Rp. Double room €14, balcony €5.
- Zen Inn, Jl Silayukti, gang Segara No. 10, Padang Bai (just behind the port), ☎ +62 81 933092012 ([email protected]), . A small boutique hotel situated near the ferry port and the beach. Each room is furnished in a funky, eclectic style with double bed, western bathrooms with hot water shower, and a private courtyard garden with additional outside shower. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms and the restaurant. The restaurant serves excellent western and asian food using local ingredients. Fish is fresh from the local fish market. There is also a bar where the beer is cold and where expats and backpackers hang out. Aircon rooms 350,000 IDR including breakfast.
- Mustika Sari Beach Hotel, Jl Raya Silayukti (northern end of the bay - behind Topi Inn), ☎ +62 813 37536464 ([email protected]), . checkout: 1PM. Offering huge rooms with balconies and nice sea views this hotel has a decent sized swimming pool and a beautiful garden. Traditional paintings, wall hangings and Balinese handicrafts in the rooms are nice touches. From Rp 250,000.
- Padang Bai Beach Resort, Jl Panti Silayukti (northern end of the bay), ☎ +62 363 42088 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Pleasant rooms with indirect sea view and garden bungalows. All rooms and bungalows are supplied with air-conditioning, bathroom with hot shower, satellite TV, safe and a balcony or terrace. The resort has a dive-instruction pool, restaurant, swim up bar and Spa. Garden bungalows have outside 'Balinese style' bathrooms. Ask about 'stay & dive' packages or discounts. Low season rates: bungalow US$65, Downstairs Terrace US$52, Upstairs balcony room US$65, Upstairs Triple Bed Room US$70.
- Puri Rai Hotel, Jl Silayukti (on the main beach), ☎ +62 361 8528521 ([email protected]), . A 1-star hotel with three swimming pools. This is probably the nicest hotel in town and prices follow suit. All rooms are supplied with a bathroom with hot & cold shower, TV and a terrace and balcony. The air-con rooms have a refrigerator. Standard fan room US$ 38, standard air-con room US$ 50 and family fan room US$ 55 (a small continental or Indonesian breakfast included).
- Bloo Lagoon Eco Village, (northern end of the bay, on top of the hill), ☎ +62 363 41211 ([email protected], fax: +62 363 41099), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Bloo Lagoon, an environmentally friendly 3-star resort, offers 25 fan-cooled one, two and three bedroom villas with kitchen. The resort has a restaurant, a 18m lap pool and a spa. From US$ 120.
- Villa Biara, ☎ +62 821 4744 8483 ([email protected]), . Villa Biara is a beachfront luxury villa in Bali and a magical haven of peace and tranquility set behind terraced ricefields on the beachfront of Pantai Saba, looking out to the blue waters of the ocean, and across to the islands of Lembongan and Penida. It is also a good place for wedding or any type of celebrations in Bali.
There are reports of cases involving aggressive porters at the dock demanding excessive payments when you are waiting to board the ferry. To be absolutely safe, do not allow anyone else to carry your luggage.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!