Overland Park is a city in northeastern Kansas. Located within the Kansas City metropolitan area, it is a melting-pot of both urban and suburban living. With 173.000 residents, it is one of the most affluent cities in the U.S..
Overland Park is the largest community in Johnson County, the economic engine that drives the Kansas City economy. The population is predominately white and well educated.
Kansas City International Airport is about 45 minutes away and is the primary airport for the entire Kansas City metro area.
Interstates 35, 435, and 635 with U.S. 69 pass through Overland Park. Roads are generally uncongested and nearly all parking in the entire city is free.
North and South streets are named while East and West streets are numbered. Metcalf Ave will take you just about anywhere, although at parts, it has many lanes and is a bit confusing. Before driving on this street, make sure you know where you're going and don't drive on it during rush hour (5PM-7PM), or expect to be sitting there at least an hour.
State Line is the street directly between Kansas and Missouri, thus the name.
One strange road name is College Blvd, but is mainly due to Johnson County Community College in western Overland Park. College Blvd is 111th Street, despite the confusing name.
Also, 135th St turns into Santa Fe as you're heading West. If you happen to be on Santa Fe, that means you're no longer in Overland Park, you are in Olathe.
Overland Park lies between I-35 (north) and 199th St (south) and State Line (east) and Quivira (west).
- Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead, 13800 Switzer, tel: (913) 897-2360, . The Deanna Rose Farmstead is basically a farm petting zoo for kids, which they get a large kick out of. There are ducks to feed, sheep to pet, playgrounds to climb on and hay rides to take. It's a great place to bring kids for a picnic or an outing.
- The Overland Park Arboretum and Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th Street, (913) 685-3604, . Lots of trails both mulch and paved though the woods. Lovely wooden areas, gardens, and a large pond. You can even bring your dog, but he's only allowed on certain trails and you should clean up after him.
- Kansas City Curling Club, 12140 West 135th Street, 
- Corporate Woods Jazz Festival, .
- Farmers Market, (Located on Marty between 79th and 80th Streets. Under the Farmers Market Pavilion), . The Downtown Overland Park Farmers Market is a thriving open air market offering produce, flowers, specialty foods and entertainment for the entire family 2010 Schedule April 17-May Saturdays only, 6:30 am to sellout June-September Wednesdays, 7:30 am to sellout Saturdays, 6:30 am to sellout October Saturdays only, 6:30 am to sellout edit
- Kansas International Film Festival (KIFF), Glenwood Arts 9575 Metcalf Ave Overland Park, KS (On the east side of Metcalf South Shopping Center), ☎ 913-642-4404, . edit
- Johnson County Community College is located at the intersection of College Blvd. and Quivira Rd. With 35,000 students, JCCC offers both 2-year and 4-year programs. Also, the campus is host to the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art, as well as an on-site food court and several coffee-shops.
- Sprint World Headquarters, near 119th Street and Nall Ave.
- Overland Park Convention Center, 6000 College Blvd near Nall Ave.
There are two main shopping districts within Overland Park :
- Oak Park Mall - Located off 69 Hwy at 95th street. This mall has it all. With 1.6 million square ft of retail, it features : JC Penny's, Nordstom's, Macy's, Barnes & Noble, and Dillards and many many more smaller shops. It also features great play areas for kids.
- Town Center Plaza - This open air mall is great. It features many high end shops, and a 20 screen movie theater. A nice place to spend some time.
If you want to venture north to Kansas City there is also the famous Crowne Center and Country Club Plaza which are especially beautiful around Christmas time when they are lit up with thousands of Christmas lights.
- Garozzo's Ristorante spiedini and tiramisu
- K.C. Masterpiece
- Ruchi Indian Restaurant
- Fiorella's Jack Stack, 95th & Metcalf.
- Hikari Japanese Steakhouse
- BD's Mongolian BBQ
- J. Gilbert's Steakhouse
- Il Trullo
- Johnny Cascone's Good Italian style food. They often bring in jazz singers and bands to play in the middle of the restaurant.
- J Alexander's
- Taco Via Mexican, Fast Food
- Wyandot Barbeque 7215 W 75th St Overland Park, KS 66204 (913) 341-0609 Barbecue
- Jack Stack Barbecue 9520 Metcalf Ave Overland Park, KS 66212(913) 385-7427
- The Peanut great hot chicken wings
- AmeriSuites Overland Park/Convention Center, 5001 W. 110th Street, (913)491-9002 .
- AmeriSuites Overland Park/Metcalf, 6801 W 112th St, (913) 451-2553 .
- Candlewood Suites, 11001 Oakmont, +1 913 469-5557, .
- Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Convention Center, 11001 Woodson Street, +1 913 317-8500, Fax: +1 913 317-8585, .
- Courtyard Kansas City Overland Park/Metcalf, South of College Blvd., 11301 Metcalf Avenue, +1 913 339-9900, Fax: +1 913 339-6091, .
- Holiday Inn, 7240 Shawnee Mission Parkway, +1 913 262-3010, .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 8787 Reeder Road, +1 913 888-8440, .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 10920 Nall Ave, +1 913 312-0900, .
- Overland Park Marriott, 10800 Metcalf Avenue, +1 913 451-8000, Fax: +1 913 451-5914, .
- Residence Inn Kansas City Overland Park, 12010 Blue Valley Pkwy., +1 913 491-4444, Fax: +1 913 345-0644, .
- SpringHill Suites Kansas City Overland Park, 12000 Blue Valley Parkway, +1 913 491-0010, Fax: +1 913 491-9242, .
- Wyndham Garden Hotel Overland Park, 7000 West 108th Street, 1 913 383-2550, 
- Comfort Inn & Suites, 7200 W 107 th St (I-435 & Metcalf), ☎ 913-648-7858, . checkin: 12 noon; checkout: 3:00. Conveniently located North of 435 off Metcalf, Deluxe Complimentary Breakfast, Complimentary High Speed Wireless, Refrigerator/Microwave in Each Room, on site fitness, Complimentary 24 hour Fitness Club passes, meeting rooms 79.95-129.95. edit
- Overland Park Convention and Visitor's Bureau, 
There are many churches in the area with many different denominations, although unity churches are very prominent. You can look in the local section of the Kansas City Star to find the location of one near you.
|Routes through Overland Park
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!