View from the harbour of Oqaatsut
Oqaatsut is a village in Western Greenland.
Oqaatsut (Greenlandic) or Rodebay (Danish) is a coastal settlement with 40 inhabitants as of 2012. The settlement has over 50 houses and buildings, a church, incinerator and a school. Many inhabitants still work with fishing in the nearby waters.
- Oqaatsut/Rodebay can be visited comfortably by boat. There are daytours that can be arranged from Ilulissat, going either to Oqaatsut, or north to the immense calving glacier in Eqi. During that daytour, your boat will stop for lunch at Oqaatsut/Rodebay.
- There is a 21 km hiking trail along the coast, north from Ilulissat. In winter and early spring, cross-country skis are recommended.
- Oqaatsut hosts a small fishing community, surrounded by a peaceful landscape of hills and rocky coast.
- The settlement is the last place in this part of the Disko Bay where local hunters can take killed whales out of water. In Disko Bay every year the local community together with the government decide on local qoutas for hunting of seal, mink whale, fin whale and porpoise.
In winter, cross-country skies can be rented, in summer one can follow hiking-trails around the area.
One such hiking-trail leads all the way from Rodebay to Ilulissat and is marked with orange markings spaced 200 meters apart. Tourist offices arranges charter trips to Oqaatsut and it is possible to get a one-way.
There is a supermarket in the settlement, open daily between 10:00-15:00.
Eat & Drink
Restaurant H8 in summertime
- Restaurant H8, ("""), . There is one restaurant in Oqaatsut: Restaurant H8. This restaurant serves cold lunch and hot dinners, made with fresh Greenlandic ingredients. 185dkk for lunch, 200dkk for dinner. edit
- Hotel Nordlys, ☎ +299 945501, . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 10:00. Singles from 765 DKK. edit
- H8's Hostel (16 total beds). checkin: contact staff at H8 restaurant. Bed from 375 DKK. edit
Beware the mosquitoes if you're there in the summer. In July, the mosquitoes are brutal when there is no wind. You will have to wear headnets whenever you are outside in still weather.