Opatija (Italian: Abbazia) is a city in the Istrian Peninsula in western Croatia. It is situated a few kilometre southwest of Rijeka, one of Croatia's largest cities. It has a population of 7,850.
The foundations of this city lie with St. Jacob's abbey, which soon evolved into Opatija (both "opatija" and "abbazia" mean 'abbey' in the Croatian and Italian languages, respectively). St Jacob, the patron saint of travelers, tanners and fruit-growers, is celebrated every year on July 25th, which is also celebrated in the town as the Day of the City of Opatija. In recent history, however, the city was part of the Venetian republic, then remained in the clutch of the wealthy Austro-Hungarian families who built their exclusive resort-city with opulence in mind and was part of Italy from 1918 to 1947. The Austrians built many of the stunning mansions that line the coast and are fine examples of architecture, filling the town with a certain atmosphere of grandeur. Beautiful parks, postcard-promenades and luxurious hotels are all a result of the 'high society' that occupied this town for over a hundred years.
Notably, this city is built upon a hill which stretches right back from the coast. While this does offer breathtaking views from houses, hotels and apartments, the walk back will prove tiring at the least!
- Abbey of Saint Jacob, Park Svetog Jakova. The 14th-century Benedictine abbey. edit
- Film location. There were filmed "The Legacy Run" and "Sport Crime". edit
- Villa Angiolina. It was built in 19th century and now houses a museum. Also there is park with many species of plants from all over the world. edit
- Le Mandrac, Obala. F. Spila 10, Volosko (10 minute drive from Opatija center), ☎ +385 51 70387 51410. open 11-23. Classy Restaurant in the old fishing village. The food style is modern but still retains it's Croatian roots. The restaurant setting is beautiful and is very popular with locals and tourists alike. edit
- Roko, Ul. Maršala Tita 116, 51410, Opatija, ☎ +385 51 712 816 ([email protected]), . Pizzeria edit
- Ružmarin, Veprinački put, 2, Opatija (Behind the Palace Hotel, on Slatina), ☎ +385 51 712 673 ([email protected]), . Restaurant edit
- Bamba, Obalno šetalište Franje Josipa I, 51414, Ičići. Bar edit
- Apartments Kestenovi dvori, Opric 74b (Apartments Chestnut Castle Opatija (Lovran)), ☎ +385 9120 49777 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 10.30. Apartments Kestenovi dvori are private accommodation with modern, full equipped, nice and clean apartments. This holiday house with a magnificent overlook at the sea, is located in a very calm part of Lovran to 2 km from the coastline, with plenty of greenery and away from the noise, our accommodations will ensure you complete rest and relaxation. (45.311413,14.269229) edit
- Istra, Ul. Maršala Tita 143, 51410 Opatija, ☎ +385 51 710 444 ([email protected]), . Hotel edit
- Villa Skorup Apartments, I. Bana Mažuranića 5, 51414, Ičići, ☎ +385 5170 4418. checkin: 18:00; checkout: 10:00. In research of peacefull atmosphere, lost in the urban life, we invite You to have a pleasent stay with your family, friends and colleagues, in the family house Skorup. (14.2980423,45.3073696) edit