Olvera is the north-eastern most town in the Cadiz Province in the Andalucia region of Spain.
The closest airport is Jerez de la Frontera, approx 1:15 hour by car. There are several daily flights from Madrid and Barcelona (Iberia, Spanair, Vueling). Ryanair flies daily to London Stansted and Frankfurt Hahn. Other operators fly scheduled, charter, or seasonal flights. The nearest major airports are in Sevilla (1 hour 30 mins by car) and Malaga (1:50 by car), Granada (2-3 hr) and Cordoba (2 hr+). Gibraltar is about 2 hours distance.
The nearest railway station is Almarjen (25 minutes) on the Algeciras to Bobadilla route. Ronda is about 40 minutes away.
The 18 Century Church, and the all around view! Climb up to the castle.
- Corpus Christi when the streets are strewn with reeds and mint, the walls bedecked with sunflowers and palm fronds and the estaciones are small wells of delight along the route.
- Semana Santa (Easter or Holy Week) is local and authentic and emotive.
- Feria in August. A coming together of the clans for a week long, all night and day party.
- Romeria picnic out by the sanctuary.
- Bird watching (Peñon de Zaframagon.)
- Hang gliding at the nearby Algodonales piste.
- Fishing and boating at the Zahara lake.
Olive Oil and olive oil soap.
- El Estacion del Via Verde for modern cuisine.
- Mi Pueblo, Plaza de Andalucia s/n, ☎ 956 131 105, . Full service restaurant with function rooms offering traditional and modern cuisine in the style of the sierra de Cádiz. Also has a bodega where you can try lots of locally produced wines. edit
- Frenazo's (disco environment)
- Juanito Gomez knows about the Spanish and the region's wines - always good for a conversation. Bobadillo white is slightly sweet for some palettes.
- Valentino's, Plaza Torre del Pan, 1, ☎ 678328836, . The only bar within the walls of the old Moorish castle of Olvera, Valentino's is built within one of its towers, the 'torre de pan', reflecting it's previous use as a bakery. The bar is small inside but has terrace with stunning views. edit
- El Estacion del Via Verde.
- El Piño y Fuente. Great swimming pool in lovely gardens.
- Cal y Sol. Has hotel style pool.
The Via Verde walk is a "must". Hire a bike from the old station hotel for a great ride at a cheap rate.