Olsztyn is a historic town in southern Poland, situated north of Kraków in the Polish Jura mountains. There is a beautiful castle ruin there.
The castle's connected with two historical figures. A nobleman and conspirator Maciej Borkowic who was sentenced to starvation in castle's dungeon for conspiracy against the king Casimir the Great. Second person, Kasper Karliński was a heroic defender of the castle during Polish-Habsburg war in 1587. He defended the castle although his son was captivated and used as live target. Both figures 're said to haunt the castle.
Olsztyn's a small village. Most of attractions are focused around castle ruins.
The castle Olsztyn was built by Casimir the Great in the 14th century. It was destroyed in 1655 by the Swedish and fell into ruin.
There's a First World War cemetery in Zrębice. There're graves of German and Russian soldiers. It's located in the pine forest. There's also a beautiful, baroque church from 1722-29 in the village.
There're many caves in Olsztyn, most of them're good for amateurs:
- Jaskinia w Zielonej Górze (Green Hill cave)
- Towarna cave
- Cabanowa cave
- Olsztyńska cave
- Komarowa cave
- W Kielnkiach cave
Using a head torch is required. All caves're located in Kusięta village or Sokole Góry Reserve.
There're also caves for much experienced, most of them requires using a rope:
- Studnisko cave — Located in Olsztyn (Sokole Mountains). It's said to be the deepest Jura Mountains cave. There's a beautiful interior, using a rope required. There's a characteristic, cathedral like hall.
- Urwista cave — Located in Olsztyn. Using a rope required.
- Jaskinia pod Sokolą Górą cave — Located on Puchacz Mountain, the cave's quite tiny, using a rope required.
- Magazyn cave — Located in Kielniki hill. You have to climb on the ladder to see the cave. Some corridors are narrow. Using a rope required.
- Studnia w Amfiteatrze cave — Located in Sokole Mountains. Well-type cave, using a rope required. The cave's rather tiny.
- Koralowa cave — Located on Pustelnica Mountain, well-type one, using a rope required
- Maurycego cave — Located in Puchacz mountain, some parts of the caves are narrow. The interior's really beautiful.
- U Anny, Zielona 28. edit Shared and private bathrooms, tent pitching possibility, barbecue places
- Guest Rooms, Zielona 59. edit Sport facilities, garden, shared bathrooms
- Słoneczna Jura, Plac Piłsudskiego 16. edit garden, WiFi
- U Ewy, Napoleona 8. edit garden, WiFi, object in the woods
- Kamex, Botaniczna 15. edit Accommodation in a wooden house, close to Olsztyn castle ruins
- Na Jurajskim Szlaku, Karlińskiego 24. edit Garden, bike rental, Internet
- Pod Aniołami, Botaniczna 51. edit Object located close to Olsztyn castle ruins, garden
- Zabytkowy Spichlerz, Kazimierza Wielkiego 2. edit An accommodation in an old granary, restaurant
- Skałka, Szkolna 10. edit WiFi, barbecue facilities
- Zacisze, Zielona 23. editObject with WiFi and restaurant
- Kolber Garden, Napoleona 27. edit Splurge accommodation, house with garden, WiFi, barbecue facilities, garden
- Zajazd u Hermanów, Kazimierza Wielkiego 9. edit Object with restaurant, garden, WiFi and bar
- Święta Puszcza, Świętej Puszczy 6. edit Religious accommodation and conference center composed by two buildings, garden, place situated in the forest.
There're also many campers places located near the castle, Biakło Mountain and place called Pod Pielgrzymem. You can sleep in your camper on the car park near Sokole Góry reserve, there're some benches. There's also a lovely camp place located on the pond in the middle of the forest, located in Zawodzie village.
- Częstochowa — Spiritual capital city of Poland
- Złoty Potok — Beautiful place with Parkowe Reserve
- Czatachowa — Contemporary hermitage
- Żarki — Town with Jewish heritage
- Żarki-Letnisko — Popular holiday village, not far from Poraj Lake
- Koniecpol — Small town famous by modern era military leader Stanisław Koniecpolski