Nungwi is a charming litte village at the northern tip of Zanzibar.
From Stone Town the journey on surface roads takes between 1 and 2 hours, depending on the delays of road obstacles and police checkpoints, and number of stops the driver makes en route. There are several options available:
- Hire a car and self-drive: 50 USD / day
- Hotel-arranged transport in private car or 4WD: 50-60 USD each way
- Hire taxi from Stone Town ferry terminal: 15.000-40.000 TZS (10-30 USD) each way depending on which part of Nungwi and how many passengers would be travelling. Remember to NEGOTIATE!
- Ride a dala dala bus #116 from Darajani/Creek Road in Stone Town: 2.000 TZS (1 USD) per person is the regular price, but some dala dala operators may insist you pay a "tourist rate" of 3000-5000 TZS.
The 'boat yard' in Nungwi, with its tapping and tamping and seemingly casual activity, calls for photographs. At sunset about 50 boats leave from Nungwi, all of them with white sails at a certain angle, to go deep sea fishing at night: another beautiful sight.
The aquarium on the north coast of Nungwi near the lighthouse, rears small turtles found on the beach until they are large enough and then released to survive in the sea. The aquarium is a natural pond with seawater that seeps through the cliff at high tide. There is also a python, monitor lizard, and tortoises that can be handled. Entrance fee was 10.000 TZS (5 USD) or 10 USD.
Get around Nungwi by renting a car from Galaxy Cross Road, offering quality cars at competitive prices, find out more at www.rentcarnungwi.jimdo.com
Be prepared for very little relaxing time walking along the beach. It's overrun with teenagers who try to sell you on snorkeling trips and other services. While this may be a tiny bit helpful, it's annoying when you are trying to walk along the beach at sunset and someone stops you every 10 meters. These people are trying to make a living, yes, however it really ruins the experience you have walking along the beach.
Scuba dive around Mnemba atoll. 180 USD with East Africa Diving for double dive. Use Diving Poseidon for 140 USD for 2 dives. Spanish Dancer Divers for 140 USD with fast boat, 10% off when booking via email.
Scuba diving on sites closer to Nungwi will save you 30 USD per day.
Most of the dive centers also offer night dives, while the reef is not so great during the day, the night dives give you a chance to see all kinds of life that isn't out during the day including octopus, Spanish dancers, and even cuttlefish.
There is not much to see in terms of snorkeling off the shore due to fishing. So don't expect to see a lot snorkeling outside of a trip to Mnemba - except for sea urchins!
Take a 2 hour sunset cruise on a dhow down to Kendwa and back (15 USD per person). Alternatively, hire the whole dhow and enjoy a private cruise, lingering where you wish (40 USD). Clever negotiation may get you free snorkling equipment hire and a stop at Kendwa where you can leap over the side and snorkle on the reef.
Visit the Mnarani Aquarium/Sea Turtle Conservation area (10.000 TZS or 10 USD per person)
Adventure around the Northern region of Zanzibar with 'Zanzibar Cycling Adventures'. Zanzibar Cycling Adventures is an exciting new tour taking people around some hidden and beautiful places in the north villages of Zanzibar. You get a bit of exercise, a bit of culture and a bit of history all in a fun half day trip on a bicycle. For more information and contact details visit www.zanzibarcyclingadventures.com. Alternatively visit the office located and Mnarani Turtle Aquarium or call Makame on +255 778 677 662 email [email protected]
Deep Sea Fishing with "Hooked on Fishing", Z Hotel, Nungwi Beach.
Parasailing is also available though quite expensive at 80 USD per person.
There is no ATM in Nungwi. Many restaurants and hotels accept credit cards, but the occasional not working credit card reader (mostly due to a bad connection - this results in a "declined" message, but don't worry it usually means the internet is not working)
Maasai crafts. Expect to be harassed by the various Masai teens/early 20s while walking along the beach. They will constantly be giving you the hard sell and will not let you enjoy a quiet walk along the beach.
Credit for SIM cards besides fruits, drinks and toiletries at a small shop close to the sea turtle conservation area.
- Langi Langi Beach Bungalows Restaurant. Excellent food with a fine sea view. One of the best places to eat in Nungwi. Definitely go there and get the curries or masalas. Be aware this place is very popular (because it's so good) and as such you need to make reservations and may also need to wait a while for your food. Relax and wait, the food is worth it. 15.000 TZS. edit
- Flame Tree Cottages Restaurant. This place has a shorter menu than most places, and the food is mediocre at best. If you're not a fan of seafood, ask before ordering anything not in the seafood section of the menu - even the "Chicken with coconut sauce" is mostly fish. edit
- Mama Mia, Nungwi Beach, ☎ +255773360584, . 10:30-22:30. The restaurant Mama Mia belongs to two Italian young men, Mimmo and Alfonso. The former is in charge of the banqueting room, the latter is a young talented chef. The restaurant is characterized by a terrace overlooking the sea, and customers can even enjoy the opportunity of dining on the beach. The dishes suggested combine the high quality and freshness of local products with the talent of the chef. edit
- Cholo's bar The most chilled out bar ever. Hamocks above the bar, the urinal is a bath tub and the benches are halved dhows. The beer is 2,500 shillings for Tusker Kili or others. The music they play is well selected and makes the beach, which the bar is directly on, even more pleasant to do nothing on. Open once again following renovations in 2016.
- Zanzibar Star Resort, [email protected] (Nungwi Zanzibar), ☎ +255 773 663503, . The place is quite new,with a fine pool view,they serve magnificent food,at 12000 price 12000. edit
- Nungwi House, Nungwi Rd, Nungwi, Zanzibar, Tanzania, ☎ +255 777 777 708, . checkin: 12:30; checkout: 10:30. Featuring free reliable WiFi, Nungwi House offers accommodation in Nungwi. Every room is fitted with a private bathroom fitted with a shower. You will find a shared lounge at the property. Being just 2 minutes walk from the beach, a number of activities are offered in the area, such as snorkeling and diving. 50 USD. (-5.727252,39.293422) edit
- Diamonds La Gemma dell'Est, Nungwi Rd, Nungwi, Zanzibar, Tanzania, ☎ +255 24 224 0125, . Diamonds La Gemma Dell’Est is in tropical gardens and waterfalls on the northwest shores of Zanzibar. It features a fully equipped water sports center, a spa and 4 restaurants. edit
- Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, Nungwi Road, Nungwi , Zanzibar, Tanzania, ☎ +255 758 818 281, . This property is 2 minutes walk from the beach. Chic Hideaway of Nungwi features luxurious accommodation with private terraces offering Indian Ocean views. Facilities include an outdoor pool, private beach with watersports and a dive centre. The spa provides massages and a steam bath. edit
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, Nungwi, Zanzibar, Tanzania, ☎ +255 24 224 0512, . Right on a white sandy beach with a coral reef, Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort has tropical gardens with 4 outdoor pools and water-sports facilities. Guests can also relax with a massage at the Spa. edit
- My Blue Hotel, Nungwi, Zanzibar, Tanzania, ☎ +255 779 551 720, . This property is 3 minutes walk from the beach. With a tropical garden, My Blue Hotel is located near the village of Nungwi, on Zanzibar Island’s northern tip. It offers an outdoor pool, a diving centre and wellness facilities. edit
- Jambo Brothers In Nungwi, the northernmost village, you can get a bungalow right on the beautiful beach.
- Amaan Bungalows very decent and clean Hotel, Room Prices depends on the type of view the room has i.e. Sea view is more expensive compared to Garden View. It also has a swimming Pool Tel: +255 245 501 152/ +255 775 044 719. Email:[email protected] 
- The Z Hotel beautiful hotel with really nice views, it is a bit more luxurious compared to others located near it's location. It also has a nice Swimming pool. Tel: +255 774 266 266. Further Information:[email protected], Reservations:[email protected] 
- Langi Langi Beach Bungalows a very well maintained Hotel with one of the best restaurants in Nungwi, located right after Amaan Bungalows Tel: +255 24 2240470/1 . Email:[email protected] 
- Plan Hotel (La Gemma Dell' Est) Luxurious 5 star Hotel in Nungwi with excellent view and a nice swimming pool. Tel: +255 242240087. Email [email protected]
- Nungwi Village Beach Resort is right next to Jambo Brothers.
- The Zanzibari, Nungwi, Zanzibar, ☎ +255-774-323318, . A luxury beach hotel located in Nungwi, Zanzibar. edit
- Tanzanite Beach Resort is one of the most beautiful resorts in town, the hotel is well maintained and smoothley run.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar, ☎ +255 242240476, . Reputable, all-inclusive resort with a wide beach front, a swimming pool, 2 restaurants, bars, spa and fitness center, live music at night, and free wifi in public areas and rooms. This is the former site of Nungwi Village Beach Resort and is located immediately east of Flame Tree Cottages. $120. edit
- Zanzibar Star Resort, Nungwi, ☎ +255 773 663 503/ +255 774 360 112, . The resort blends the cultural rhythms with the nature, enhanced by the warm Zanzibar hospitality.If you are looking for comfort and inspiration, this is the best place to be: the riot of colors, the smell and beauty of our environment and rooms creates a peaceful atmosphere. For further information: [email protected] edit
- Flame Tree Cottages, Nungwi, Zanzibar, ☎ +255 24 2240100, . Flame Tree Cottages Hotel has a tranquil setting, a swimming pool and a beautiful private tropical garden. It is situated in the quieter area of Nungwi near Smiles and DoubleTree Hotels. edit
- Ombeliko del Mondo, Nungwi, Zanzibar (behind Z Hotel). checkin: flexible; checkout: flexible. 30 USD for double room, probably less. edit
- Traveller Hotel, Nungwi, Zanzibar (behind The Nungwi Inn, follow a little road 50m uphill), ☎ 0779624419 (Mr. BBQ Blackmoon). Double rooms are small huts, very relaxed local people, good food from Mr. BBQ. 15-20 USD for double room. edit
- Although Nungwi is a quite friendly and safe place to be, there have however been some theft cases whereby the guests' belongings were stolen. Some basic care should be taken whilst handling money. Most of the hotels do have a safe for keeping guest's money which should be used for storing valuables.
- Kendwa, 3.5 km to the south, can be quieter although its full-moon parties are gaining in popularity. Kendwa has a much nicer beach than Nungwi due to less sea weed and fewer people trying to sell you stuff. It can take a long time to walk there from Nungwi though, and during high tide it's not really safe to swim there as the water will be over your head and can crash against the rocks. It's worth a trip there from Nungwi but plan it carefully so you can get there and back ok. Remember that with the nicer beach comes a bit more snobbery at the hotels. The hotels there are much nicer (and more expensive) than hotels in Nungwi. If you want to stay at a posh hotel this is the beach to go to, however it can be a bit more isolating and you can leave without much interaction or culture from the locals.
- Matemwe, 25km to the south at the east coast, white beach, few tourists, close to Mnemba Island, which is good for snorkling and diving. Besides many small Hotels, there is a traditional village right behind the long beach. 20.000 TZS transfer by taxi after haggling (September 2016).