Novosibirsk (Russian: Новосиби́рск nuh-vuh-see-BEERSK) is a city in Novosibirsk Oblast, Siberia, Russia.
With a population of over 1.6 million people, Novosibirsk is the third most populous city in Russia.
The city was founded in 1893 as a transport hub. The city was originally called Novonikolayevsk (Новониколаевск), in honor of both Saint Nicholas and of the reigning Tsar Nicholas II. It became a large industrial centre during the Stalin period. In 1962, it became the first city in the world to reach a population of 1 million people within 70 years of being founded.
The majority of the population lives in apartment buildings and private houses are rare.
Novosibirsk grew into a beautiful place with booming cultural life (after the fall of Soviet Union). Russia's third largest city has embraced its status as capital of Siberia and opened its doors to the world. A slew of museums and monuments, a relaxed big-city vibe, a pulsating nightlife and a wealth of great accommodation are available to the visitors. Most of the people under 40 speak English.
-Summers in Novosibirsk are typically warm with average temperatures of around 18°C (64°F) but it can be cold at night. Summer months are also often wet and rainy and storms can occur. June and July are the sunniest months.
-Winter can be severely cold with temperatures dropping below -30°C (-22°F), but its usually around -15°C (5°F). Winter is often dark and cloudy and heavy snowfall is a regular occurrence.
-Spring and Autumn are both transitional months, and can either be very cold or quite warm. During spring, streets and roads can become dirty as a result of mud and melting snow.
Tolmachevo Airport, (IATA: OVB), +7 383 216-98-41, also known as Novosibirsk International Airport, is 16km from the city centre. The airport serves over 4 million passengers per year. There are regular to flights to many major Russian cities including Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Khabarovsk, Vladivostok, Krasnodar, Omsk, Ulan-Ude, Samara, Ufa, and Yekaterinburg as well as international flights to Dushanbe, Istanbul, Baku, Prague, Yerevan, Beijing, Almaty, Osh, Bishkek, and Dubai.
To travel between the airport and the city:
- Bus #111 (RUB44) operates between the airport and the main train station "Novosibirsk-Glavny" (Новосибирск-Главный) and Avtovokzal (Автовокзал), the bus terminal (30 minutes). The stop is directly in front of the entrance A3 of the airport and is marked by a standpost. The bus leaves every 30 min starting 04:00 until 22:30.
- Minibus #312 operates between the airport and the main train station.
- Bus #112 (RUB30) operates between the airport and shopping mall "Mega" (IKEA).
- A taxi takes around 30 minutes and should cost RUB500 if negotiated in advance.
Beware of the private drivers aggressively haggling their services though, they are notorious for deceiving unwary travelers: the fare at the end of the drive may turn out much higher than negotiated. Get out of the car immediately if the driver's "friend" turns up for a ride along! Use the phone or taxi desks inside the airport to order a taxi.
See also: Trans-Siberian Railway
Novosibirsk Vokzal-Glavny station (Вокзал-Главный) is very close to the Garina Mikhailovskogo (Гарина Михайловского) metro station.
All Trans-Siberian trains stop at Novosibirsk Vokzal-Glavny Station. You can take this train as far as Moscow (46-56 hours), Beijing, Ulaan Baator, or Vladivostok.
There are also regional trains to most nearby cities.
Timetables and fares can be searched for on the RZD website.
The city center is fairly compact and a walk from the railway station to Lenin's square takes around 20 minutes.
By public transport
The Novosibirsk metro system
Public transport includes a Metro system in the city centre as well as buses, trams, taxi, and trolleybuses. A ride on intra-city public transport costs RUB35 or less.
Novosibirsk's Nikolai Chapel
- Novosibirsk State Museum of Local History and Nature (Новосибиркий Государственный Краеведческий Музей), Krasnyi Prospekt 23 (Metro: Ploshid Lenina), ☎ +7 8(383)227-15-43, . Sometimes closed to the public. The museum consist of three levels, with new exhibitions. Ground floos is about archeology, the first floos is about the history of SIberia and Russian Colonization of the territories, until the WWII, meanwhile the second floor is for temporary exhibition. As in 2019 there are 3 exhibitions, about national costumes, medals of the soviet era and a local painter's exhibition. You can take photos for free. #11. RUB150. edit
- Novosibirsk Zoo (Новосибирский зоопарк), ul. Timiryazeva, 71/1, ☎ +7 383 220-97-79, . 9AM-9PM. With 10,000 animals, it is one of the largest zoos in Russia. Adults: RUB250; Children/Students: RUB100. edit
- As in every Russian city, there are multiple monuments to heroes of the Great Patriotic War (WWII), including an eternal flame guarded at special ceremonies by youths with replica Kalashnikovs.
- Lenin's Square has a grey-color monument of Lenin left from Soviet era standing right in front of the Opera and Ballet House.
- The exact geographical center of former Soviet Union just south of Lenin Square, marked by the Chapel of St. Nicholas, originally built in 1915 to commemorate 300 years of Romanov rule, destroyed in 1930 and rebuilt in 1993. A grey-color monument of Lenin left from Soviet era is standing right in front of the Opera and Ballet House.
A visit to Akademgorodok, built in the 1950s as a mecca for academics but suffering from neglect in the post-Soviet years, is still pleasant as a day trip. This formerly elite institution is located about 30 KM south of the city and features several museums and nice, tree-lined streets.
While you're in the area, you might also visit one of several nice beaches on the Ob Sea, the large body of water created by a dam on the Ob River.
Also south of the city, about 2 km north of Akademgorodok, is the open-air West Siberian Rail Museum. There are about 90 historical trains and rail cars there.
One of the largest zoos in Russia and one of the very few in the world that have a liger (a hybrid of a tiger and a lioness). Many other species including polar bears are represented there too.
Tanning at the beach in spring
- Novosibirsk Regional Puppet Theater (over 70 years old in an interesting historic building)
- In winter residents build an ice town on the Ob River, and in summer you can go to the beach.
- Opera House (Novosibirsk State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater), (In the city centre), ☎ +7 (383) 222-60-40 ([email protected]), . Many of the performances are famous works and it is interesting to see the Siberian interpretations. Recommended to purchase tickets in advance. (55.030371,82.924516) edit
- Since there is plenty of snow in Siberia during the winter, going skiing or ice skating could be a lot of fun in Novosibirsk. There are a lot of ice arenas in the city. Some of them are free of charge, but those don't usually rent skates. The ones that rent skates may be not free of charge. One of the centrally located stadiums is "Spartak".
There are a lot of malls, shops, boutiques and stores in Novosibirsk. They offer a lot of goods from all round the world and you can have a great time while shopping. However, be careful when buying anything there - always check what you buy, before you pay. Sometimes the goods you buy may be produced not by a brand company but by a company in an Asian country that has a license for producing products under this brand name. Sometimes the quality of these goods doesn't correspond to the quality of the original brand. This may be especially applied to the European brands. For example, the same scents may have a different aroma in Novosibirsk and somewhere in Europe. It doesn't mean that the goods have bad quality and you shouldn't shop. But be careful if you want to purchase anything.
You could have a lot of fun if you go to markets like Central Market ("Центральный рынок") or "Baraholka". There you'll see people from around the world selling stuff that is not brand but it may have a good quality. Be careful there as well, as you may run into pocket pickers. You may even find some local food there and try some specials. There are a lot of different markets in the city but the most famous are Central Market and Baroholka. You may buy nothing there but what you see, you'll see nowhere in the world. It literally looks like an Asian market with only difference it's in the Russian way.
- Aura Planeta Mall (Торгово-развлекательный центр Аура Новосибирск), Voyennaya ul., 5, ☎ +7 383 230-30-40, . 10AM-10PM. edit
- Mega Novosibirsk, ул. Ватутина, 107, ☎ +7 383 298-90-30, . Includes IKEA. edit
- Royal Park (ТРК Ройял Парк), Krasnyy pr., 101, ☎ +7 383 230-04-04, . edit
There are many good dining options and many local chain restaurants. Lenin Square is a popular place to eat. Italian food, sushi, and Russian food are all very popular. Many cafes offer lunch specials on weekdays.
- Perchini (Перчини), Karla Marska 53А, . Free WiFi. During summer there is also a rooftop bar which is open in the spring and summer. They don't speak much English, but the menu is in both Russian and English and has pictures. Salad / pizza / pasta: RUB400; Beer: RUB120-225. edit
- Il Patio (IL Патио), 5 locations in Novosibirsk, . Free WiFi. Great pizza and lasagne. Salad / pizza / pasta: RUB300-600. edit
- Riba Ris (Рыба Рис), In Lenin Square, ☎ +7 (383) 328-15-33, . Large menu, all tables are booths - remember to push the button for service! And the waiting staff wear red beanie hats with big eyes on top. Menu is in Russian but lots of pictures. Sushi sets: RUB500-2,000. edit
- Shashlikof (ШашлыкоFF), Found all over the city - Lenina Street, Krasnyy Prospekt etc.. Fun cafe, music, cheap prices, always busy, so for a Friday/Saturday night always book a table. Speciality is Shashlik - barbecued meat on a stick, which you can have with a choice of potato or salad. edit
- Buffet No 1, Lenina St #8, . USSR recreation cafe serving traditional food from that time. No table service, but very cute, retro style. Almost everything on the menu is under RUB100. edit
- Pechki-Lavochki. network of 11 restaurants which offers traditional Russian food at prices of around RUB450. They can be crowded in the evenings. edit
- KFC All of your fried chicken favourites!
- Carls Junior The closest equivalent you will get to McDonalds. Found on Lenina Street, Aura or Sibirian Mall with a large choice of burgers. Classic Kombo meal starts at 150 rubbles.
- Try any shaurma on the street for a fair price between 100-150 RUB
- Beerman. up market friendly bars at 3 locations in the city - 2 "Beerman" and "Beerman Pelmini" are downtown in the Novosibirsk Hotel (by the station) and Hilton Hotels. Great food and their own brew of beer. edit
- Old Irish Pub, Krasny prospect #37, ☎ +7 383 222-65-76, . Noon-2AM. edit
- People's Grill & Bar, Krasny prospect #17 (Down a stairway opposite St. Nicholas Chapel), . noon-2am. Celebrity hangout. Serves burgers, wraps, pasta, pizza, sushi, fajitas and cocktails. edit
- Pub 501, ul. Lenina, 20, ☎ +7 383 218-09-39, . Serves great food as well as drinks. Prices are higher than most places.. edit
- Truba Jazz Club (Труба), pr. Dimitrova, 1, ☎ +7 383 227-15-69, . 7PM-6AM. Visit if you want to meet Novosibirsk's "underground" culture. Foreigners usually like this place. edit
The Russian café chain Coffee House (Кофе Хауз) has several locations in Novosibirsk, but the food is considered to be subpar and overpriced.
- Travelers Coffee, Several locations, . Good selection of tea and coffee. English menu is available. Some light snacks such as sandwiches, wraps, and cheesecakes, muffins and cookies. Free WiFi and plug sockets for your laptop. Very good service. edit
- Kardamon Chaplygina (Чаплыгина) str. 39. An alternative tea room, tea for 100 RUB, light meals for 100-150 RUB.
With the exception of some high-end hotels, all hotels and hostels offer free WiFi and many have computer terminals. Almost all accept credit cards. Hotels and hostels will usually provide a visa invitation and registration for an additional fee.
- Central Hostel of Novosibirsk, Semji Shamshinyh st. 12, flat 113 (In the centre, ten minutes away from metro station Ploschad Lenina), ☎ +7 (383) 217-48-13, +7-913-759-50-36, . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 12pm. The staff is always pleased to help with everything. 3 bedrooms; capacity is 16 customers. Dorm bed: US$12-20; Double: US$50-57. edit
- Dostoevsky Hostel, Inskaya st., Building 56 - Apt 8 (across the road from Rechnoy Vokzal metro station), ☎ +7 913 002 7189, . A modern hostel with excellent security. The owners Ksenia and Marina are very welcoming and look after all the guests. Dorm bed: RUB350-700. edit
- FunKey Hostel, Frunze st. 5/2 (5 minutes walk from Lenina Square), ☎ +7 (383) 263-65-03, . Very spacious and beautiful hostel. Each room is issued in individual style. Spacious drawing room, kitchen. Staff is very friendly. Dorm bed: RUB500-700. edit
- Zokol Hostel, Shchetinkina st. 34 (2 minutes walk from the main street, Lenina St; 10 minute walk from the train station), ☎ +73832233611, . Very comfortable rooms, more akin to a hotel, with single beds and a nice communal kitchen/living area. The staff speaks excellent English and are extremely friendly, helpful and enthusiastic. Dorm bed: RUB500-900. edit
- Azimut Hotel Siberia, Lenina Street #21, ☎ +7 383 223-12-15, . In a concrete tower. Breakfast buffet. Sauna. From RUB1,600. edit
- Centralnaya / Tsentralnaya Hotel, Lenina street 3 (On the street opposite the opera/ballet house.), ☎ +7 383 222-72-94, 222-36-38. checkin: anytime(?); checkout: exactly 24h after checkin. TV, fridge, and sink in the room. Grim, shabby Soviet-era accommodations for hardy, budget-conscious travelers. Not recommended for families. From RUB1,200; shared bathroom. edit
- Metelitsa Hotel, Dobrolyubova, 195, ☎ +7 383 285-30-00, . Restaurant serves European, Russian, and Japanese cuisine. From RUB2,500, breakfast included. edit
- Park Inn by Radisson Novosibirsk, ul. Dmitriya Shamshurina, 37, ☎ +7 383 230-08-80, . From RUB3,200. edit
- River Park, . formerly known as the Ob Hotel, on the bank of the Ob River, is situated close to the Metro just southeast of the city center. After being gutted by fire in the 1990s, it has been refurbished, with reasonably clean rooms, a business center, and a nice Russian restaurant on the first floor. Don't look for English-language television or air conditioners, but there are plenty of rooms with private bathrooms. Single: RUB2,800; Double: RUB4,000. edit
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Novosibirsk, Kamenskaya ul., 7/1, ☎ +7 383 223-01-00, . A 4-star hotel. edit
- Novosibirsk Marriott Hotel, Ordzhonikidze Street 31, ☎ +7 383 230-03-00, . edit
Many cafes and restaurants offer either free or paid WiFi. There is also WiFi available in the main train station, public libraries, shopping malls, cinemas, universities and other establishments.
Internet cafes and computer clubs are also commonly found.
- Germany, Krasny Prospekt, 28, ☎ +7 (383) 231-00-52, 231-00-20 ([email protected], fax: +7 (383) 231-00-55). Mon-Thu 8-30AM - 4PM; Fri 8-30AM - 3PM. edit
- Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Iceland, Malta, and Spain (EU Visa Center), Sibirskaya street, 57, ☎ +7 (383) 209-0379. Mon-Fri 9AM - 4PM. edit
- Italy, Lenina street, 52, ☎ +7 (383) 238-0723 (fax: +7(383) 238-0723). Mon-Fri 9AM - 4PM. edit
While it's better to stay away from some run-down areas the overall situation is not bad. Pervomayskiy rayon and far-off neighborhoods of Leninskiy and Kirovskiy rayons should be avoided at any time.
The safest place is the center (nearby Lenin Square), stay there and you will be all right.
|Routes through Novosibirsk
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!