The Northern Rivers region is on the far North Coast of New South Wales, stretching from Grafton to Tweed at the Queensland border.
- Byron Bay - once an alternative lifestyle town, now a booming beachfront destination, firmly on the backpacker and sea-changer route.
- Brunswick Heads - a quiet, nearby coastal village to the north
- Lennox Head - a sleepy coastal village renowned for its long, right hand surfing break.
- Maclean - on the river and highway, a short distance to the beachside community of Yamba.
- Nimbin - Alternative community, in the Byron/Lismore hinterland
- Pottsville - a small community with a nice market, a few kilometres from beaches.
- The Channon - famous for the Channon markets. Place to buy the latest in incense, and tie-dye wear..
- Tweed Heads - the southern, low rise, and more family friendly end of the Gold Coast.
- Yamba - What Byron Bay used to be.
- Cabarita Beach - a new beachfront community, near Kingscliff, part of a expanding South East Queensland building boom.
- Evans Head
- Kingscliff - A beach, creek & river town steadfastly resisting the Gold Coast high-rise creep southwards. It retains a strong family holiday orientation, with little of interest for young singles, party animals & clubbers. Visit while it is still relatively unspoiled, but has easy access to the north.
- Mooball - notable for nothing but its name, and the cow pictures throughout town, and a large motorbike.
- Wooli - pretty, holiday unit, smaller town. Miles of unpopulated beaches and national park. It is about 20 minutes off the Pacific Hwy just south of Grafton. You'll find a little strip of land with beach on one side and the Wooli Wooli River on the other.
- Arakwal National Park
- Border Ranges National Park
- Bundjalung National Park
- Mount Warning National Park
- Nightcap National Park
- Yuraygir National Park
A glorious and naturally blessed combination of uncrowded white-sand beaches, tropical rainforests, exquisitely picturesque hinterland surroundings and an enviable climate have attracted an eclectic and interesting mix of surfers, hippies, artists and wealthy urbanites to New South Wales Northern Rivers region.
- Coolangatta Airport - International and Domestic flights
- Ballina Airport - domestic flights
- Lismore Airport - domestic flights
- Grafton Airport - domestic flights
- CountryLink Rail Services - Railway Information
- Greyhound Australia - Services the whole of Australia.
Many backpackers catch the coaches that ply the Brisbane to Sydney route.
Passenger trains no longer directly service most of the region.
If you want to get outside of the main centres, then you will need a car, or to take a tour. Public Transport is limited however the following should allow a more adventurous traveller to get around.
Buslines Group provide public transport to Ballina, Lismore, Casino, Kyogle, Evans Head, Woodburn and Coraki. They also provide less frequent connections to Grafton and Tenterfield. Study the timetable before travelling and be sure you won't be stranded. Most of the drivers are fairly friendly and the buses are in radio contact with each other so connections should be fairly easily made.
Blanch's bus company provide service to Ballina, Lennox Head, Byron Bay, Bangalow and Mullumbimby. Services on Route 640 at least are around every 2 hours on weekdays and Saturdays at least during daylight hours. The Sunday service exists however it is limited.
There are numerous other operators who run school buses around the region. These allow regular passengers however the primary drawback is they are only running at school times.
The Northern Rivers is home to 5 World Heritage Listed National Parks, the most bio-diverse region in Australia and stunningly beautiful
The beaches in this area are beautiful, and worth exploring. Take the tourist drive from Murwillumbah to Tweed Heads - this will take you through the Tweed River, as well as the coastal areas.
- Tweed Tourism Inc, ☎ +61 7 5536 6737, . Operating the Visitor Information Centres at Tweed Heads, Kingscliff and Murwillumbah. Maps, posters and souvenirs. Accommodation, tour and cruise booking service. Murwillumbah and Tweed Heads Centres open 7 days. Kingscliff Centre open W-Su. http://www.tweedtourism.com.au or Phone 1800 674 414 (within Australia only) edit
- Wooli Serviced Apartments, 69 Riverside Dr, ☎ 02 6649 7377, . 3 well appointed holiday units within walking distance of the beach and shops. Pet friendly accommodation for families and couples. (-29.867945,153.265875) edit