North Stradbroke Island  is an island off the coast from Brisbane in South East Queensland.
Known as Straddie by the locals.
The only way to get into the island is by ferry from Cleveland. There are three main ferries, all of them leaving Cleveland at the same point on the east side of Cleveland at the end of the bus line 258. Local buses at North Stradbroke meet most of the passenger-only ferries, but check with the bus company . There's also a bus called "Stradbroke Flyer" for ferry passengers that leaves every hour or half hour from the station.
If you are coming from Brisbane, take the Cleveland train to the terminus, Cleveland Station and catch the bus from just outside the station.
- Stradbroke Flyer , also called Gold Cats offers 14 daily passanger-only "water taxis". The trip takes approximately 25 minutes, cost is $13 one way and $19 return. There is a courtesy bus that links Cleveland rail station with the ferry terminal for the ferries from 6:55am to 6:25pm.
- Stradbroke Ferries  has two types of ferries, a large vehicle ferry (11 daily services, $135 return) and a smaller water taxi for passengers only (12 daily services, $12 single, $17 return). Travel time is about 50 minutes.
- Big Red Cat  offers 8 daily car ferries and accepts passengers as well. Their ferries sell food and drinks. The trip is about 45 minutes and costs $5.5 one way and $11 return for passangers, and $135 returnn for cars. Note that local buses at North Stradbroke are not timed to meet this ferry, though since these ferries stop at the same place as the Stradbroke Ferries you can just wait (up to one hour) and catch the bus.
By far the most convenient way to travel the island is by car. You can rent a car at Brisbane and take the car ferry, or rent it at North Stradbroke. Many accommodation options at the island have their own shuttle service so you don't need a car if you don't plan to move from your location.
There is a taxi van waiting on arrival of every ferry so you can use this as well.
The North Stradbroke buses  serve Dunwich with Point Lookout and Amity Point and are timed to meed most of the passenger-only ferries. A one-way ticket is $4.50, and a one-day pass is $9.
Discover Stradbroke, Mintee St, Point Lookout, ☎ 34153949 ([email protected]), . Discover Stradbroke run an island day tour. Includes Fish & Chips for lunch & Whale Watching. edit*
- Whales. From May until September, Point Lookout is one of the best land based whale watching locations in Australia. Get an ice-cream & set yourself up on the headland to watch the whales at play as they migrate. edit
- Dolphins. Schools of dolphins can regularly be seen in the waters around Point Lookout. The best places to see them are in the waves of Frenchman's Beach, from the Point Lookout headland. edit
Point Lookout offers some of the best scuba diving in the area and boasts the Manta Ray Bommie where Manta rays congregate, together with other large fish such as bull rays and (non-dangerous) leopard sharks. The Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre , at the Youth Hostel, is the local diving company and offers diving PADI courses.
Point Lookout is one of the best land based whale watching spots in Australia. From the headland, you can watch whales pass by from May til September.
- Fishes at the Point, Shop2, 15 East Coast Road, Point Lookout QLD 4183, ☎ 07 3415 3444, . edit
- Manta Lodge and Scuba Centre, 1 Eastcoast Road, Point Lookout (On the road to Point Lookout), ☎ 07 3409 8888, . checkout: 10am. The lodge belongs to YHA and offers dormitory accommodation and also has a double room and a twin room. This is a 5-star PADI dive center and resort that offers scuba diving trips and courses. It also offers snorkelling, 4WD tours, surfing and kayaking. 30. (-27.42315,153.5158) edit
- DIscover Stradbroke, 1 Mintee St, Point Lookout, ☎ +617 3415 3949, . Discover Stradbroke Accommodation have holiday rental houses and apartments at Point Lookout and Amity Point. Available for short stays and longer breaks. Luxury or budget accommodation to suit families, groups and couples. edit
- Whale Watch Resort, 11 Samarinda Drive, Point lookout, 4183, ☎ 073415 3949, . Stradbroke Island's Whale Watch Resort Apartments offer a Point Lookout holiday accommodation experience and feature spacious open plan kitchen, dining and living areas as well as covered decks off each bedroom. Whale Watch Resort offers stunning views of Main Beach & the Point Lookout surf club. edit
- Claytons on Cylinder, 122 Mooloomba Road, Point Lookout, 4183, . A premier holiday rental at Point Lookout. Clayton's apartments feature 3 and 4 bedroom split level townhouses, with direct access to the stunning family friendly Cylinder Beach. edit
Wear sunscreen all the time, even in winter or on overcast days. The UV index is always very high and Queensland is the worst place in the world for melanoma (sun damage related skin cancers)