Ngapali Beach is in Rakhine State, Western Myanmar.
You can reach Ngapali by land or plane. Six local airlines (Air KBZ, Air Mandalay, Myanmar National Airways, Golden Myanmar Airways, Mann Yadanarpon and Yangon Airways) provide air services to Thandwe about four miles from Ngapali beach.
16 hours drive with air con bus or normal express car.
- riding motorbikes is NOT allowed for foreigners, even with an international driving license. Burmese driving license is required.
- use local tuk-tuks or pick-up trucks to got to Jade Taw fishing village (around MMK300.00) or to Thandwe (around MMK500.00)
- bicycles, e-bikes and quads provided by hotels and local restaurants
- long-tail boats to go to different beaches and islands
Ngapali is prime choice for beach lovers dream about: quiet, white sand, the quiet rural surroundings, Rakhine ways of life, local fishing style, etc...
- Thandwe market - fresh meat, fish, seafood and vegetables, stationary, local clothing
- Zalun monastery - preserved body of the monk Sayadaw U Sujata since 1984 visible in a glass cube, second preserved monk since 2015
- Ballooning - through Oriental Ballooning (around USD380.00 per person, check if special deals 2for1 available)
- Nandaw and Sandaw Pagodas in Thandwe - great for a sunrise tour
- Jade Taw fishing village - in the early morning the fishermen return to the village and unload their catch
- Standing Buddha - located on the Ahmata Hill/ Nibban Taung close to Jade Taw village in the far South, panoramic views of the surrounding areas, great for sunsets
- Black sand island called Zalat Htone Island
- Clay pottery works at Kinmaw village
- Hand-weaving works of Rakhine longyis in Thandwe
It's a beach -- you can relax under a palm tree and go swimming occasionally. Water is very clear and the white sand on the beach won't disappoint either. The beach looks west, meaning that there will be not so much of sun in the morning but a beautiful sunset in the evening.
- Ko Min Soe the Islander. Fishing & boat tour specialist ( 043 42 312 )to Pearl Island. Takes around 3 to 4 hours and costs between USD20.00-25.00. They take you snorkeling and fishing around Ngapali & Andrew Bay, stop on the island for a drink at the Lobster Bar, and arrange a BBQ for you at a beach (a bit pricey as it is the only bar/ restaurant on the island) edit
- Cruise along the coast and upriver to Thandwe - local long-tail boats or Arakhan Tender Boat
- Half-day boat tour to Pearl Island - around 3 hours, between USD25.00-30.00, snorkeling and fishing around Pearl Island, plan a stop on the island for a drink at the Lobster Bar (the only bar/ restaurant on the island)
- Full-day boat tour to a private beach at Kyauk Klat - up to 8 hours, available only with the Arakhan Tender Boat
- Golf - 9-hole golf course close to Ngapali village
- Watersports - catamaran (hobie cat) or kayaks available (kayaks at Sandoway Resort and Bayview - the beach resort, catamaran at Bayview - the beach resort)
- Elephant camp
- There are two places on the main road for motorbike renting. Bicycles can be rented almost everywhere. The fisherman village of Lon Tha, a couple of kilometers south of the resorts, is worth seeing.
- coconut carving doll and other coconut items to encourage local people
- Practical items from recycled plastic can buy at Laguna ECO Lodge & Lilli`s Beach Bar, handbags, water drum cover, purses
- Also Rakhine BIO Mountain Honey from small farmers at Laguna Lodge
- Bamboo Place Mats at Laguna or see in Thandwe the family style production ( info at Laguna Lodge )
- See hand made brooms from Coconut Leaves by Laguna Lodge staff
- Get Free of charge a young Mangrove Tree at Laguna Lodge and replant in the Lagoon's of Ngapali and support the Ecosystem through Tourism
- Buy a 50% firewood saving oven at Laguna Lodge and present to a village family = 50% less forest wood cut, 50 % time & money saved for the family
- Buy a South Rakhine Cookbook at Laguna Lodge and follow a day trip to Community Tourism, Salt production, Crab farm, Deni Roofing Production, Mangrove Forest – River tour with mangrove Monkeys at Gentali, shop, cook & eat with Rakhine families at community based Tourism
- Do NOT BUY any Coral and Coral-Sea Turtle or Shark products they are highly illegal to sell, buy or transport in Ngapali and Myanmar. You might get caught at Ngapali airports X Ray
Lilli` s Beach Front Bar ( in front of Laguna ECO Lodge ),- Fresh local & seasonal sourced seafood and farm ingredients for Ngapali Cuisine, Fish & Vegi Curries , Beach BBQ, own BIO garden herb d Pasta, best German Bread & Aioli & Coffee & a Cake. Have your feet in the sand or relax in a hammock. German Chef Oliver combines French fine
cuisine with Burma – Ngapali traditional way of dining. Best Massage under the Palm trees ask for Mrs Pan Su Aung.
Most places along the road offer similar menus, mainly fresh fish and seafood. Try the coconut prawn curries, different taste and preparation in each restaurant, but always delicious. They also serve other basic Burmese, Thai and Chinese dishes. Resorts often have some additional Western items in their menus. For most restaurants it is recommended to reserve a table in advance as it can get very busy during high season.
On the beach-side of the main road are the resorts' restaurants and on the other side you will find somewhat cheaper local restaurants. Prices are affordable, even in the resorts.
- Paradise Seafood restaurant is a nice one, close to the Bay view restaurant. Nice, fresh fish and sea food. good cocktails afterwards. Very friendly owner, stay until after closing and he will bring you home on his motorbike. also rents motorbikes and arrange boat trips.
- Pleasant View Islet - belongs to the Pleasant View Resort, located on a small islet, special for its location
- Min Thu - like most of the restaurants it is family run, Min Thu takes care of the guests, his wife cooks traditionally on charcoal, if you are interested he might show you the kitchen
- Excellence, Golden Rose, Zaw II, Ngapali Kitchen, Enjoy, Family - most recommended restaurants by tourists and locals alike
- Sea Queen - Seafood place with local staples. Choose your sea creature from the tanks outback. The owner can also arrange for a local fisherman tour of Pearl Island, 30,000 kyat for 2 people.
While the above roadside restaurants offer a certain level of hygiene, most of the smaller beach restaurants (halfway down the beach) do not have proper water supply as they are only temporary bamboo huts, one next to another very tight.
NOTE: So far the no permissions have been given out to the beach restaurants, therefore none of them is available (as per November 2016). Might start business soon again.
Lilli`s Beach Bar offers free Drinking Water for your refill from 20 Ltr PH7 drums at counter,- Cool Fresh Draft Beer 1,5 $ US, Sunset Cocktails from 2 $ US
Cocktails are $4 to $7 in the resorts. Most of them have happy hours at the time of sunset, typically between 5pm and 7pm. Expect half the price during that time.
A large bottle (660 ml) of Myanmar or Tiger beer is around MMK2,500.00 in local restaurants.
Tap water is not drinkable, but resorts offer usually a few bottles of purified water complimentary. A large bottle sells for around MMK300.00 on the street.
Fresh coconuts are sold on the beach. The seller cuts it open for you.
No real nightlife available. Ngapali Beach is famous for its tranquility.
Budget accommodation around Ngapali is limited. The banyan hostel 2 is about $20 for a dorm. This is located on a more local beach near the airport. There's is a art gallery approaching the main beach that has 2 double rooms for $40 each. Laguna ECO Lodge at the south of the beach has bungalows starting at $35 to $80. Most accommodation is not online. At the time of booking the internet showed no available room at hotels ( as .coms had no contract and so show NO room - miss leading ) but the resort where empty when visited. Phoning advance is advised to get the best deals.
- Beach Front Laguna Lodget (ECO Lodge), Myabin Village next to Amata Hotel, ☎ +95 1 532278 ([email protected]), . Beach Front Laguna Lodge is a two-star- full ECO hotel, NO walls to the beach just nature. 16 bungalows and rooms, 10 situated directly at the beach, 6 are in a beautiful exotic Palm garden. Lilli `s Beach Bar is busy for lunch, reservation recommended, serving Ngapali Seafood, Curry and Vegies, South French touched cuisine and specialized in pasta. Always the freshest local & seasonal food items, fish, seafood at reasonable prices. Cake, Best Coffee & Brown Bread & Aioli, Cool Draft Beer, Rich Milkshakes & wines. edit
- Amazing Resort, ☎ +95 1 203 500. edit
- Bayview - the beach resort, 84, Pan Hlaing Road, Sanchaung Township, Yangon, ☎ +95 1 504471 (fax: +95 1 526 292), . Bayview - the beach resort is a four-star-boutique hotel. 45 deluxe bungalows and rooms including 2 suites are all situated either directly at the beach or in a beautiful exotic garden. The Sunset Bar is busy for dinner, reservation recommended, serving international and Pan-Asian cuisine and also the freshest fish and seafood at reasonable prices. Offers a selection of International wines. edit
- Amata Resort, Corner of West Race Course Rd & Sayasan Road, Yankin Township, Yangon., ☎ +95 1 542 535, +95 1 544 736, +95 1 559 292. edit
- Silver Beach Hotel, S-8, North Wing of Aung San Stadium, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township, Yangon.. edit
- Royal Beach Hotel, 201, Bo Myat Htun Street, Botahtaung Township, Yangon., ☎ +95 1 294 612, +95 1 200 883. edit
- Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa, 2 Airport St, Zee Phyu Gone Village, Thandwe, 11221, ☎ +95-4342291. Resort hotel very close to the airport with all the comforts of a western chain. Small gym, lovely infinity pool overlooking the ocean, large rooms with balconies overlooking landscaped lagoons. Fast internet. While pricey, the bar program a step above the average. edit
- Sandoway Resort, Mya Pyin Village, Ngapali Beach, Thandwe, Rakhine State, ☎ (+951) 298934, . One of the earliest hotel and by far the best one on the beach. Its Villa Beach Front and Sea View are located right next on the beach with great view. edit
- Merciel Retreat & Resort (Merciel Ngapali Resort), Ma Zin Village, Ngapali Beach, Thandwe District, Rakhine State (Between Hilton Ngapali Resort & Ngapali Paradise), ☎ (+95) 1 536394 ([email protected]), . $ 110 ~ $140. edit
To travel to Bagan check for buses (leave early morning around 7:00am to Pyay, and from there in a different bus leave to Bagan around 7:00pm, arrival in Bagan next morning around 6:00am).
Use the Yoma Yazar bus company to drive overnight from Ngapali Beach ( Laguna Lodge ) to Pyay ( 20 $US ) and Bagan ( 20 $US ) or to Mrauk Oo & Sittwe ( 20 $US ) booking at Laguna Lodge 043 42312.
Ngapali to Yangon through south road “ Gwa “ or north road “ Pyay ” with day bus (6:00 am / 20 $US) or night bus (14:00 / 20 $US) travel 12 to 14 hours. Ye Aung Lan & Aung Thitsar Bus Companies to Yangon Aung Mingalar Highway Bus Station.
Ngapali to Sittwe by flight ( 40 min / 80$US) or
by Speedboat & bus to Taunguk and from there with Malikha or Shwe Pyi Tan Speed Boats ( 30-35 $US / 8 hours boat ) along Mangrove Forests & Islands with stop in Kyauk Phyu Island.
UPDATE 11 Nov 2016: Bus from Ngapali to Pyay:
MYO SAT THIT
Time: 1:30 pm, every day, around 9 hours drive
Large bus with A/C
Price: MMK 13,000 per person
Pick up from the hotel possible
YE AUNG LANN
Time: 8:00 am & 3:00 pm, every day, around 9 hours drive
Small bus (24 pax) & mini bus (14 pax), only mini bus with A/C
Price: MMK 13,000/ 15,000
Pick up from the hotel possible