Ngapali Beach is in Rakhine State, Western Myanmar.
You can reach Ngapali by land or plane. Six local airlines (Air KBZ, Air Mandalay, Myanmar National Airways, Golden Myanmar Airways, Mann Yadanarpon and Yangon Airways) provide air services to Thandwe about four miles from Ngapali beach.
16 hours drive with air con bus or normal express car.
- riding motorbikes is NOT allowed for foreigners, even with an international driving license. Burmese driving license is required.
- use local tuk-tuks or pick-up trucks to got to Jade Taw fishing village (around MMK300.00) or to Thandwe (around MMK500.00)
- bicycles, e-bikes and quads provided by hotels and local restaurants
- long-tail boats to go to different beaches ans islands
Ngapali is prime choice for beach lovers dream about: quiet, white sand, the quiet rural surroundings, Rakhine ways of life, local fishing style, etc...
- Thandwe market - fresh meat, fish, seafood and vegetables, stationary, local clothing
- Zalun monastery - preserved body of the monk Sayadaw U Sujata since 1984 visible in a glass cube, second preserved monk since 2015
- Ballooning - through Oriental Ballooning (around USD380.00 per person, check if special deals 2for1 available)
- Nandaw and Sandaw Pagodas in Thandwe - great for a sunrise tour
- Jade Taw fishing village - in the early morning the fishermen return to the village and unload their catch
- Standing Buddha - located on the Ahmata Hill/ Nibban Taung close to Jade Taw village in the far South, panoramic views of the surrounding areas, great for sunsets
- Black sand island called Zalat Htone Island
- Clay pottery works at Kinmaw village
- Hand-weaving works of Rakhine longyis in Thandwe
It's a beach -- you can relax under a palm tree and go swimming occasionally. Water is very clear and the white sand on the beach won't disappoint either. The beach looks west, meaning that there will be not so much of sun in the morning but a beautiful sunset in the evening.
- Cruise along the coast and upriver to Thandwe - local long-tail boats or Arakhan Tender Boat
- Half-day boat tour to Pearl Island - around 3 hours, between USD25.00-30.00, snorkeling and fishing around Pearl Island, plan a stop on the island for a drink at the Lobster Bar (the only bar/ restaurant on the island)
- Full-day boat tour to a private beach at Kyauk Klat - up to 8 hours, available only with the Arakhan Tender Boat
- Golf - 9-hole golf course close to Ngapali village
- Watersports - catamaran (hobie cat) or kayaks available (kayaks at Sandoway Resort and Bayview - the beach resort, catamaran at Bayview - the beach resort)
- Elephant camp
- There are two places on the main road for motorbike renting. Bicycles can be rented almost everywhere. The fisherman village of Lon Tha, a couple of kilometers south of the resorts, is worth seeing.
- coconut carving doll and other coconut items to encourage local people
Most places along the road offer similar menus, mainly fresh fish and seafood. Try the coconut prawn curries, different taste and preparation in each restaurant, but always delicious. They also serve other basic Burmese, Thai and Chinese dishes. Resorts often have some additional Western items in their menus. For most restaurants it is recommended to reserve a table in advance as it can get very busy during high season.
On the beach-side of the main road are the resorts' restaurants and on the other side you will find somewhat cheaper local restaurants. Prices are affordable, even in the resorts.
- Paradise Seafood restaurant is a nice one, close to the Bay view restaurant. Nice, fresh fish and sea food. good cocktails afterwards. Very friendly owner, stay until after closing and he will bring you home on his motorbike. also rents motorbikes and arrange boat trips.
- Pleasant View Islet - belongs to the Pleasant View Resort, located on a small islet, special for its location
- Min Thu - like most of the restaurants it is family run, Min Thu takes care of the guests, his wife cooks traditionally on charcoal, if you are interested he might show you the kitchen
- Excellence, Golden Rose, Zaw II, Ngapali Kitchen, Enjoy, Family - most recommended restaurants by tourists and locals alike
- Sea Queen - Seafood place with local staples. Choose your sea creature from the tanks outback. The owner can also arrange for a local fisherman tour of Pearl Island, 30,000 kyat for 2 people.
While the above roadside restaurants offer a certain level of hygiene, most of the smaller beach restaurants (halfway down the beach) do not have proper water supply as they are only temporary bamboo huts, one next to another very tight.
NOTE: So far the no permissions have been given out to the beach restaurants, therefore none of them is available (as per November 2016). Might start business soon again.
Cocktails are $4 to $7 in the resorts. Most of them have happy hours at the time of sunset, typically between 5pm and 7pm. Expect half the price during that time.
A large bottle (660 ml) of Myanmar or Tiger beer is around MMK2,500.00 in local restaurants.
Tap water is not drinkable, but resorts offer usually a few bottles of purified water complimentary. A large bottle sells for around MMK300.00 on the street.
Fresh coconuts are sold on the beach. The seller cuts it open for you.
No real nightlife available. Ngapali Beach is famous for its tranquility.
Budget accommodation around Ngapali is limited. The banyan hostel 2 is about $20 for a dorm. This is located on a more local beach near the airport. There's is a art gallery approaching the main beach that has 2 double rooms for $40 each. Laguana lodge at the far end of the beach has bungalows starting at $40. Most accommodation is not online. At the time of booking the internet showed no available room at hotels but the resort where empty when visited. Phoning advance is advised to get the best deals.
- Pleasant View Resort, S-5, North Wing of AungSan Stadium, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township, Yangon., ☎ +95 1 393 086, +95 1 023 61, +95 9 731 603 ([email protected]), . Accommodation provide with 14 Two Storey Deluxe Bungalow, 10 Deluxe Bungalows and 2 Family Deluxe Bungalows. All rooms are beach front sea view deluxe room. edit
- Amazing Resort, ☎ +95 1 203 500. edit
- Bayview - the beach resort, 84, Pan Hlaing Road, Sanchaung Township, Yangon, ☎ +95 1 504471 (fax: +95 1 526 292), . Bayview - the beach resort is a four-star-boutique hotel. 45 deluxe bungalows and rooms including 2 suites are all situated either directly at the beach or in a beautiful exotic garden. The Sunset Bar is busy for dinner, reservation recommended, serving international and Pan-Asian cuisine and also the freshest fish and seafood at reasonable prices. Offers a selection of International wines. edit
- Amata Resort, Corner of West Race Course Rd & Sayasan Road, Yankin Township, Yangon., ☎ +95 1 542 535, +95 1 544 736, +95 1 559 292. edit
- Silver Beach Hotel, S-8, North Wing of Aung San Stadium, Mingalar Taung Nyunt Township, Yangon.. edit
- Royal Beach Hotel, 201, Bo Myat Htun Street, Botahtaung Township, Yangon., ☎ +95 1 294 612, +95 1 200 883. edit
- Hilton Ngapali Resort & Spa, 2 Airport St, Zee Phyu Gone Village, Thandwe, 11221, ☎ +95-4342291. Resort hotel very close to the airport with all the comforts of a western chain. Small gym, lovely infinity pool overlooking the ocean, large rooms with balconies overlooking landscaped lagoons. Fast internet. While pricey, the bar program a step above the average. edit
- Sandoway Resort, Mya Pyin Village, Ngapali Beach, Thandwe, Rakhine State, ☎ (+951) 298934, . One of the earliest hotel and by far the best one on the beach. Its Villa Beach Front and Sea View are located right next on the beach with great view. edit
To travel to Bagan check for buses (leave early morning around 7:00am to Pyay, and from there in a different bus leave to Bagan around 7:00pm, arrival in Bagan next morning around 6:00am).
UPDATE 11 Nov 2016: Bus from Ngapali to Pyay:
MYO SAT THIT
Time: 1:30 pm, every day, around 9 hours drive
Large bus with A/C
Price: MMK 13,000 per person
Pick up from the hotel possible
YE AUNG LANN
Time: 8:00 am & 3:00 pm, every day, around 9 hours drive
Small bus (24 pax) & mini bus (14 pax), only mini bus with A/C
Price: MMK 13,000/ 15,000
Pick up from the hotel possible