Newport Beach  is a city famous for its lavish lifestyle and beautiful surroundings. Television enthusiasts will recognize the resemblance to the show The O.C., and not just by virtue of its location in Orange County, California. The American city has its share of "beautiful people" often with wealth to spare. Yet it's very possible to enjoy life in Newport Beach among the millionaires on a low, low budget. The area code for all of Newport Beach is 949.
Visit Newport Beach,  is the City of Newport Beach's official Destination Marketing organization. Phone: 1-800-94-COAST. Find information on things to do, events, hotels, restaurants, beaches and the surf report. View an Official Newport Beach Visitor Guide online, order one, or pick one up at the Visitor Center, located at 1200 Newport Center Drive.
- John Wayne Airport (SNA) is conveniently located on the border of Newport Beach, Irvine, and Santa Ana.
- If you are arriving at Los Angeles International (LAX) or Long Beach (LGB), take the I-405 freeway south to the 73 freeway south.
Metrolink and Amtrak serve Santa Ana, Tustin (Metrolink only), and Irvine. A taxi would probably be the most convenient option. Local OCTA bus routes service Amtrak/Metrolink stations at certain times. Consult the OCTA website  for more information.
Take CA Highway 1 or the I-405 freeway to the 55 or 73 freeway south. The former will take you to West Newport and the latter to the east side of the Newport Bay.
- The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) (see above for link to website) serves the Newport Beach area. The OCTA Newport Transportation Center is conveniently located just east of Fashion Island in Newport Beach; here OCTA Routes 1, 55, 57, 75, 76 and 79 converge for a transfer point. Routes 1, 47 and 71 serve the beaches (over a mile away from here) and the Balboa Peninsula; Route 76 serve the John Wayne Airport SNA (about 6 miles from here).
True to its name, any visit to Newport Beach is incomplete without a trip to the beach. The city is nestled on the Pacific Ocean and is a favorite amongst surfers. The Wedge, at the end of the Balboa Peninsula, is famed for its challenging surf, but Newport's miles of wide beaches offer plenty of room for everyone, except on the busiest summer weekends. There is a concrete boardwalk running along the beach from the east of the Balboa pier to west of the Newport pier.
- Orange County Museum of Art, 850 San Clemente Drive, ☎ (949) 759-1122, . Tu-Su 11AM-5PM, Th 11AM-8PM. Adults $10, Students (w/ valid ID) & Seniors (65+) $8, Children under 12- free. edit Specializes in contemporary art and houses rotating special exhibitions.
- Muth Wetlands Interpretive Center, 2301 University Dr (Located on Irvine Avenue), ☎ (949) 923-2290, . edit faces out onto coastal wetlands, this is an excellent introduction to the flora and fauna of Pacific Coast wetlands. There is an excellent film presentation, and many exhibits of interest to young and old.
- Newport Harbor Nautical Museum, 600 E. Bay Avenue (in the Balboa Fun Zone), ☎ +1 949 673-3377 ([email protected]). W-M: 10AM-6PM. This museum gives an introduction to the extensive maritime history of this area. Adults: $5. Children under 12: Free. edit
- Balboa Island, A community in Newport Beach, . edit is a quaint throwback to simpler times, with a strip of stores and restaurants (Marine Avenue) and a pedestrian walkway which encircles the island. It's accessible from the Balboa peninsula via a short car/passenger ferry, or you can drive there over a bridge from near the Pacific Coast Highway.
- Newport Beach Film Festival, . The 10 day festival features over 300 short and feature length films. 253-2880; e-mail:[email protected]; Starting at $10; April
- Balboa Island Art Walk, along South Bayfront Drive on Balboa Island, . Over 100 artists showing and selling their work, ranging from paintings to sculptures to jewelry. Free. May
- Newport Beach Summer Jazz Series, . Summer long Jazz music festival on two stages. Held at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. Recorded Information: 729-6400; e-mail:[email protected]; $40-$175. May-October.
- Newport Dunes 4th of July Celebration, 1131 Back Bay Drive at Newport Dunes Resort, . A day long celebration with carnival games, crafts, face painting, music by a DJ, hula-hoop and limbo contests, volleyball and horseshoe tournaments and drawings by a caricaturist. A fireworks show occurs over the lagoon after dark. $25. Fireworks show can be seen for free from outside the Resort. July 4; 11AM-9PM with fireworks show at 9PM.
- Lido Yacht Expo, . Exhibit of the latest and greatest in yachts. The event takes place at the Lido Marina Village. 757-5959, e-mail:[email protected] Adults $10; 12 and under free. September.
- Taste of Newport, Newport Center Drive at Fashion Island. 729-4400, (e-mail: [email protected]), . Annual food, wine and music festival featuring selections from Newport Beach restaurants. Presale - $17; at the gate - $20; Under 8 - Free. September.
- Catalina Island, For most of the year, there is daily boat service to Catalina on the Catalina Flyer, located on the Balboa Peninsula. Trip takes about an hour, and can frequently be rough. Remember to bring the Dramamine!!!
- Sandcastle Contest,729-4400. Sand sculptures from novice to expert. The contest is held at Corona del Mar State Beach. Free admission for spectators. Fee for entrants. October.
- Christmas Boat Parade, 729-4400, . Annual water parade of boats decorated with Christmas lights. The boats take a nightly tour of Newport Harbour on five consecutive evenings. Free viewing from most locations. Some restaurants and organizations have premium seating for a fee. See the website for more information and map of parade route. December.
- Balboa Fun Zone, 600 E. Bay Avenue, ([email protected]), . Su-Th 11AM-6PM; F Sa 11AM-10PM. Located near the Balboa Pavillion, the Fun Zone has a Ferris wheel, merry-go-round, rock wall, arcade, and bungee jump. $1.50 per ticket or 20 tickets for $25 (number of tickets required vary with attraction. edit
- 20th Street Beach and Bikes (Pedego Newport Pier), 2001 West Balboa Blvd, ☎ 9497230043, . 10-6pm M-Sun. On the corner of Balboa and 20th, situated right off the Newport Pier equal distance from Beach and Bay.They have excellent service and offer,premium beach cruisers, Electric Bikes, Family Surreys, SUPs and more. edit
- Gourmet Detective, 105 Main St., ☎ 949 423 5311, . Murder mystery dinner show. Shows every Friday and Saturday night. Gourmet Detective is located in the The Tee Room at the Newport Beach Golf Course near the intersection of the 405 and 73 freeways. edit
- Fashion Island, The premiere shopping center in Newport Beach, this is a beautiful outdoor mall with great landscaping, and fountains of every decription. Stores include Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales's, Anthropologie, Barnes and Noble, Nike for Women. Restaurants include Cafe R & D (crowded, but good), the Neiman Marcus Restaurant (with a beautiful view towards the ocean), and ThaiFoon.
- Westcliff Plaza, This is the real Newport, as few tourists make it over here. Located near the corner of Westcliff and Irvine Avenue, this is a small, luxury mall, with ultra upscale clothes, furnishings, and services. Restaurants include Haute Cakes (Breakfast and Lunch only), Pizza Bakery, and Capri Blu. You will also see the colorful spectrum of local teen lifestyles.
- Crystal Cove, This is on Pacific Coast highway in the southern reaches of Newport, called Newport Coast. Stop here on your way to Laguna Beach and find both chain and private retailers. This mall is breathtaking as it is located overlooking the ocean. Stop for a bite to eat.
- Newport Landing Whale Watching, 309 Palm St. Suite A., ☎ 949-675-0550, . ! During the summer months we view Blue Whales (90+ feet in length), Minke Whales, Humpback Whales and several types of dolphin and other marine life. During the winter months we view Grey Whales, the occasional Orca, and many dolphins and sea lions. We have a 96% viewing success rate of marine life on each cruise. Our primary whale watching ship is 65 feet in length with a large upstairs sun-deck, wrap around outside seating, snack bar with food and beverage and indoor seating with large windows. (,2 and 1/2 Hours) edit
- Jack Winn Salon and Body Center, 2901 W. Coast Highway, Suite 110 Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ 949-887-9702, . Call for Hours. Located in the famed Mariners Mile section of Newport Beach, The Jack Winn Salon offers services ranging from hair styling to facials and much more. Special night out while in Newport Beach? Check out our $35 blow dry special! edit
- Shore SUP & Yoga, 2824 Newport Blvd., Newport Beach, CA, 92663, 949.529.4242 "http://shoresupyoga.com/" Check the website or call for hours. $20 and up. Take a Paddle Board tour around the harbor or if you're feeling adventurous try a Paddle Board Yoga class.
- The Crab Cooker, 2200 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 673-0100, . Offers a wide variety of crab-based dishes (as well as other seafood options.) edit
- Cucina Alessa, 6700 West Coast Hwy, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 645-2148, . A small yet spectacular Italian restaurant which offers well-made Italian dishes. edit
- Laventina's Big Cheese Pizza, 2819 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 675-1980, . A popular pizzeria on the peninsula, passersby can order slices to stave off hunger (or help absorb some of the adult beverages they've enjoyed at the nearby bars). Open until 2 AM on Friday and Saturday nights. edit
- Gelato Paradiso, Two locations: 952 Avocado Ave. or Fashion Island Atrium court, . Many flavors of very good quality Italian-style gelato and sorbetto. Try the bacio (chocolate and hazelnut). edit
- Gina's Pizza, 4533 Campus Dr., ☎ (949) 725-1144, . Located in UC Irvine, just north of Newport Beach. Its delicious pizza, pasta, and salad is considered some of the best in Orange County. Popular with local UCI and UHS students. price: moderate. edit
- Ho Sum Bistro, 3112 Newport Blvd, ☎ (949) 675-0896, . The Combo Salad will fill you up and is very well priced for how much you get ($4-6). A nice option if you are stuck on the peninsula. (33.615714,-117.930210) edit
- Sugar 'N Spice, 310 Marine Avenue, ☎ +1-949-673-8907. For an inexpensive and tasty treat, order a frozen, chocolate covered banana. edit
- Sage, Two locations: 2531 Eastbluff (Eastbluff Shopping Center) or 7862 E Coast Hwy (Crystal Cove Promenade), . lunch,dinner. Creative gourmet fare. Excellent service. Quiet surroundings. lunch $15-$25, dinner $30-$40. edit
- Tradition by Pascal, 1000 N. Bristol, ☎ (949) 263 9400 Ext.1, . Open for lunch Monday through Friday 11:30am-2:30pm; Dinner Tuesday-Thursday 5:30-9:30pm, Friday-Saturday 5:30-10:00pm. Serves lite French cuisine with provençal flair. dinner $30-$40. edit
- Wild Fish, Macarthur and Bison, . Perfectly prepared fish and shellfish. A bit noisy. Open for dinner only. $30-$40. edit
- Wilma's Patio, 203 Marine Ave (Balboa Island), . Family restaurant popular among locals for breakfast on Balboa Island, although they also serve lunch and dinner. The wait can be as long as an hour on summer weekend mornings. breakfast $10. edit
- Bear Flag Fish Company, 407 31st St, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 673-3474, . Restaurant serving seafood with a California twist. edit
- A Restaurant, 3334 West Coast Hwy Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 650-6505, . Best happy hour in Newport. Rat pack vibe. Just go. edit
- Newport Landing, 503 E Edgewater Ave Newport Beach, CA, ☎ (949) 675-2373, . A restaurant and oyster bar which features weekend brunch and wine/beer tasting events edit
- Fuji Yama, 4511 West Coast Hwy, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 548-7200, . Fine Japanese cuisine which also features a sushi bar edit
- Joe's Crab Shack, 2607 Pacific Coast Hwy, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 650-1818, . National restaurant chain which specializes in crab dishes. edit
- Slapfish, 2727 Newport Blvd Suite 302, ☎ 949-723-0034, . M-S 11:00am-9:00Pm. A modern Seafood Shack. Tacos-Lobster Rolls. $6.00-$15.00. edit
- Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana, 7864 East Coast Hwy (on the north end of the Crystal Cove Promenade along the Pacific Coast Highway), ☎ (949) 715-2072, . $$. editOffers authentic Napoli style pizza.
- Sharkeez Baja Cantina, 114 McFadden Pl, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 673-0292, . Fun, social vibe often frequented by singles in their early 20s. The club closes at 1:30AM edit
- Cabo Cantina, 100 Main St, Newport Beach, CA 92661, ☎ (949) 675-7760, . Good Happy Hour (10pm to 12am) nightly with 2 for 1 drinks edit
- Balboa Saloon, 700 E Bay Ave, Newport Beach, CA 92661, ☎ (949) 673-9783, . Younger crowd, never really seems busy edit
- Beach Ball, 2116 W Oceanfront, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 675-8041, . 6AM-2AM daily. Well-maintained "dive" bar, the only one along the beach that's open daily at 6 AM edit
- Woody's Wharf, 2318 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 675-0474, . A restaurant by day becomes one of the most popular singles options at night. The club has a tendency to get packed during the weekends. edit
- Mutt Lynch's, 2300 W Oceanfront Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 675-1556, . A true locals haunt. "A little slice of a California beach community." edit
- Blue Beet, 107 21st Pl, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 675-2338, . Oldest Bar in Newport edit
- Rudy's Pub & Grill, 3110 Newport Blvd, Newport Beach, CA 92663, ☎ (949) 723-0293, . A Michigan Bar in California that's frequented by ex-pats and locals, alike. Often feature parties broadcasting sports events. edit
- Holiday Inn Express, 2300 West Coast Hwy,+1 800 308-5401, Fax +1 949 631-5659, Newly-renovated.
- Newport Beach Vacation Rentals,-Burr White Realty- 2901 Newport Blvd., Reservations: 949.675.4630, Toll Free: 800.944.0952, Email: [email protected] . Located on the Newport Beach Peninsula. Offering oceanfront, bayfront, & oceanside fully furnished & fully stocked vacation homes on the beach & the bay.
- Little Inn By The Bay on the Balboa Peninsula, 2627 Newport Blvd.; Reservations: 800-438-4466; local phone:949-673-8800, fax: 949-673-4943 Web Site : www.littleinnbythebay.com. Located on Balboa Peninsula by Newport Beach Pier offers Free Wi-Fi and Parking is Big Plus coming to Newport Beach. Walking distance to the Beach, Board Walk, Lido Village and Famous resturants like Carb Cooker & Woodys Warf and Famous BAR like Mutts and Malarky’s irish Pub. Rates Starting : $79-$299.
- Newport Channel Inn, 6030 W. Coast Highway; Reservations: 800 255-8614, local phone: 642-3030, fax: 650-2666, e-mail: innkeepe[email protected] Located on Pacific Coast Highway in the north-east part of Newport Beach near the border with Huntington Beach. $59-$199.
- Radisson Hotel, 4545 MacArthur Blvd.; 833-0570, fax: 833-3927, e-mail: [email protected] 1/2 mile from the John Wayne Airport, near the business districts of Irvine, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach. $99-$189, Suites $350.
- Balboa Inn, 105 Main Street, 675-3412, Toll-free: 877-BAL-BOA9, Fax: 673-4587, e-mail: [email protected] On the Peninsula. $139-$269; Suites: $299-$599.
- Best Western Newport Beach Inn, 6208 W Coast Highway, 642-8252, Fax: 642-2538. Across Coast Highway from the beach. $119-$259.
- Bay Shores Inn, 1800 W Balboa Boulevard, 675-3463, Toll-free: (800) 222-6675, Fax: 675-4977. Near the Newport Pier on the Pennisula. $199-$269. Suites: $219-$499
- Newport Beach Marriott, 900 Newport Center Drive, 640-4000, Fax: 640-5055.
- Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, 500 Bayview Circle; 949-854-4500, Fax: 949-854-3937.. Bedroom suites each with a step out balcony, living room, and marble bathroom. French doors separate the bedroom from the living room with fold out sofa and second television.
- Balboa Bay Resort, 1221 Coast Highway; 645-5000,, Toll-free:888-445-7153 e-mail: [email protected] Located on Mariners Mile. Special features: Bar/Lounge on site, Restaurant on site, Coffee Shop on site, Boutique on site, Full Service Spa on site, Outdoor Pool and Sauna on site, Fitness Studio on site, Bayfront Property, $229-$475. Suites: $450-$2000.
- The Island Hotel Newport Beach, 690 Newport Center Drive; 759-0808, Fax: 759-0568. Across from the Fashion Island shopping center and within walking distance of the Orange County Museum of Art. $259-$495. Suites: $475-$495.
- Casa de Balboa Newport Beach Vacation Rentals, 229 19th St., Balboa Newport Beach, Reservations: 949-673-3770, Email: [email protected] Offering luxury beachfront vacation homes in a quiet family area. Walk to restaurants and shops. Mi Casa es su Casa!
- Residence Inn Costa Mesa Newport Beach, 881 West Baker Street · Costa Mesa, California 92626, ☎ 714-241-8800, . The Residence Inn Costa Mesa, CA Hotel is located in the heart of Orange County near Newport Beach, UC Irvine and just blocks from South Coast Plaza and John Wayne Airport. edit
|Routes through Newport Beach