is a city in Hokkaido
Nemuro Station (根室駅) is the final stop on the JR Nemuro Main Line (also called the Hanasaki Line) from Kushiro. Service is sparse: two daily express trains (just over two hours from Kushiro) and six locals (just over three hours). Add on another four hours from Sapporo.
The second-to-last stop, Higashi-Nemuro Station (東根室駅), may be of interest to train buffs as the easternmost station in all of Japan.
Nakashibetsu Airport (IATA: SHB, ICAO: RJCN) has shuttle service to Sapporo (Chitose) and Tokyo (Haneda). There is a bus service from the airport to Nemuro. It takes about two hours and will wait for the plane if it is delayed. It also runs from Nemuro station to the airport.
- Nemuro Sightseeing Information Center (根室観光インフォメーションセンター), 光和町２丁目１０ (20m from JR Nemuro Station.), ☎ +81 0153 24-3104 ([email protected], fax: +81 0153 24-7811), . The staff here can help you find directions, things to do, lodging, and food. They have free maps, too. There is also a small gift shop. (43.327064,145.582106) edit
* Hokuto Taxi (ホクトタクシー), (There are taxi ranks at the train station and opposite the 1st floor entrance of Aeon supermarket.), ☎ +81 0153 235 171. edit
- Cape Nosappu (納沙布岬 Nosappu-misaki). The eastern-most point in Hokkaido. There is a small old lighthouse at the eastern-most point, and though the lighthouse is locked, it can make for a nice photograph. (43.382778,145.821111) edit
- Kurumaishi (車石), (Located under Hamasaki Lighthouse.), . Unique radial rock formation with a 6m diameter. (43.158999,145.495795) edit
- Shunkunitai Wild Bird Sanctuary. edit
- Hoppo-kan (北方館), 納沙布３６−６ (Near the large tower at Cape Nosappu.), ☎ +81 0153 28-3277 (fax: +81 0153 28-3280), . 9AM-5PM. This museum has a history of Cape Nosappu, Nemuro, and the nearby islands. There are maps, photos, and telescopes. Next to the building is a large archway and permanently flaming torch. Free. (43.386201,145.811647) edit
- Birdwatching. Nemuro is a wonderful place to see many of Japan's bird. In the winter Steller's Sea Eagles are a common sight, even in town. It is also possible to see them sitting on the sea ice that forms along the coast. Early mornings are the best time to see Tancho, the red crowned crane, Japan's national bird. Pairs can often be seen in the wet lands beyond the main bridge into town. edit
Even within Japan Nemuro is renowned for its fish and is a contender for one of the best dining destinations in Hokkaido. Sanma and Hanasaki crab are local delicacies which also merit their own festivals. There is a surprisingly wide array of cuisines and eateries in this otherwise quiet and far-flung town.
- Lake Sunset (レークサンセット), 東梅２１８−６ (On the north side of Highway 44 about 10km west of central Nemuro.), ☎ +81 0153 25-3510 (fax: +81 0153 25-3510). This restaurant also has cabins for rent. It is located on the edge of a large lake, which makes for good bird watching. There are even binoculars at the tables for customers to use while waiting for food to arrive. ¥1000-2000. (43.263597,145.463147) edit
- Sushihan (鮨半), 大正町２丁目４１ (On the corner of Highway 44 and Ekimae Dori, 2 blocks N of Nemuro Station.), ☎ +81 0153 24-4233. This small sushi restaurant serves standard sushi fare and the locally popular sea urchin (uni-don). Lunch special ¥900. (43.328561,145.582017) edit
- Hanamaru (花まる), 35番地9丁目花園町 (On the main road into town, about a 10 minute walk from Nemuro Station.), ☎ +81 0153-24-1444. 11：00～22：00. Nemuro's finest kaiten-sushi restaurant serving extremely fresh locally caught fish. Very popular with locals, especially on Friday and Saturday evenings, waits possible, but worth it. There are also branches in Sapporo and Nakashibetsu, but this is the original and the best! edit
- My Wing (マイウイング), 光和町１丁目２３ (A 2 minute walk from Nemuro Station.), ☎ +81 0153-24-7337. 11:00 to 23:00 weekdays, 12:00 to 23:00, Sundays and holidays. (,""An) edit
- Satin Doll (サテンドール), 大正町１丁目２４ (Between Nemuro Station and Highway 44 on the east side of the road.), ☎ +81 0153 24-8052, . 10AM-10PM. This is a coffee shop that also serves alcohol. It plays jazz music all the time, and has a relaxing ambiance. Coffee ¥400. (43.328444,145.582143) edit
As with much of Hokkaido, tent campers should feel free to set up tent after dark at a public rest area or parking area. If the tent is taken down before 9AM, nobody will mind.
- Lake Sunset (レークサンセット), 東梅２１８−６ (On the north side of Highway 44 about 10km west of central Nemuro.), ☎ +81 0153 25-3510 (fax: +81 0153 25-3510). This place has many cabins for rental. There are cabins for 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, or 6-8 people. There is also an attached restaurant. Depending on cabin size, ¥3800 per person, ¥800 for breakfast. (43.263597,145.463147) edit
You cannot get directly from Nemuro to the Kuril Islands, even though you can see the closest ones.