Negombo is a city in Sri Lanka.
Katunayake airport (CMB) is closer to Negombo than Colombo. Most Hotels arrange pick up but at a very high cost (around 1500 to 2500 LKR). An official airport taxi costs 1450 LKR, book at one of the counters in the departure lounge.
Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport
A cheaper option is to take the free shuttle bus (exit the airport, turn left and walk until the shuttle bus stop at the end of the building) from the Arrival Terminal to Katunayake bus stop which is just 5 minutes away from the airport. Then take a tuk-tuk to your hotel in Negombo for 400 to 500 LKR or take a regular bus to Negombo centre for around 50 LKR.
Update 11/2013. I did not find the free shuttle to the bus stand and waiting is no option (after leaving arrival
building many taxi drivers want to sell you a ride and tell you wrong information (no bus exits, does not run anymore, ...).
You should not pay more than 700 LKR for a tuk tuk. Taxi is only interesting if you are a group of 6+ person.
If you want to go by public bus (Recommeded only at daytime 6am - 3pm) :
1) leave Airport and turn right (There is a sign, to the left to colobmo, to the right to Negombo).
Note: You must be strong and ignore all the TukTuk.
2) Walk along road for around 2+ km until a T-Crossing on the left; Avariwatta Road. You cannot miss it - there are
3) Turn left and go to next crossing with a clock tower. You will pass on the left the entrance to a airport export
area or somthing like that). You can take a shortcut to the bus stand or keep going on the street.
4) On the clock tower crossing turn left - many shops and restaurants - Bus Stand on the left.
I think the village/area is called Katunayake. The name of the bus stand is "AIRPORT" (in case you come from Colombo).
6) Within Bus stand find the bus to Negombo Beach (every 20-30 min; Tickets are paid within bus - should be
15 LKR, Maybe they overcharge you 25 LKR).
7) Within Bus Stand in Negombo search bus 905 and goto Negombo Beach (13-20 LKR).
From Colombo: The regular slow bus departs at the Colombo Central Bus Stand, roughly every 30 minutes.
The Air-Conditioned Express Bus (LKR130 in May 2018) leaves from the Gunasinghepura Bus Stop behind the Central Bus Stand (2 minute walk).
There is a designated waiting are for the AC 240 Bus.
AC Express Bus 240 at Gunasinghepura Bus Stop
Tuk Tuk (Three wheelers) 150 LKR (200LKR, march 2015; 300LKR, Jan 2017) from the Negombo Bus/Train Station to any hotel at Lewis Place. Bus 905 runs between Ethukala and Negombo Centre. Approx. every 30-60mins.
There is not much to see in Negombo just a long strip of Sandy Beach, sit back, relax, sun bath or take a dive in to the Indian Ocean but the water is mostly rough.
- Negombo Fish Market. edit
- Muturajawella Marsh land. edit
- Dutch Canal. edit
- Mangrove park at negombo Lagoon. edit
- Dutch Fort & Church. edit
- Grand Street Church, Main Street Negombo. FREE. edit
Beach wear, gems, batiks
- sea joy, lowis place st. next to no.189. good local food and lovely service! if you ask they can make hoppers and pittu! the guest house rooms are nice and very clean. cheap. edit
- The Peacock (The Peacock), 125 Lewis Place. A friendly bar with various drinks and wooden benches and stools and a wall written with greetings and recommendations. Also serves food. Drinks from Rs200. edit
- Lespri Grand (Lespri Grand), 35, Kimbulapitiya Road, Thelwaththa Junction, Negombo (10 minutes from the Airport,), ☎ +94 757201025, . checkin: 02:00; checkout: 10:30. A comfortable 'home away from home' -type guest house with friendly staff, spotless rooms and free WiFi. All rooms have spacious private bathrooms and a television. Free Drop to Bandaranaike International Airport. With/without A/C and breakfast Rs11500/10000 (January 2015). (7.227755,79.840671) edit
- Hostel First Colombo Airport (Colombo Airport Hostel First), Hostel First Colombo Airport, No 477 Negombo Road, Negombo, 11450, Sri Lanka (The distance is 4.5 kilometres from the airport. Just follow the road away from the airport until it crosses with Negombo Road. Turn right and follow Negombo Road until you see Hostel First sign on the left.), ☎ +94 (0)76 7286 788 ([email protected]), . Dorm US $10, private rooms $25-40. (7.1699,79.8662) edit
- Star Beach Hotel, 83/3 Lewis Place (The hotel is on the beach (beside Golden Star Beach Hotel, Opposite Ocean View Tourist Guest House.), ☎ +94 (0) 31 2222606 / 531082, . Older hotel with beach front access, a nice sitting area, hammocks, and free WiFi. Friendly staff and new owners who are currently improving the hotel (May 2013). Throw back a couple glasses of arrack with the owners, they're fun to talk to. Non-air conditioned room ground floor 2450 Rupiya, clean and simple rooms. Air conditioned rooms first floor 7000 Rupiya.. edit
- St. Lachlan Hotel & Suites, St. Lachlans Beach Villa, St. Anthony's Lane, Ettukala, ☎ 0094 (11) 4766350, . The hotel comprises of 16 elegantly appointed guest rooms and Suites, all of which have LED TV, DVD Player, mini-bar, and tea/coffee making facilities. Some of its amenities are a pool bar, swimming pool, and a gift/souvenir Shop. Rates on official website start at USD 176.00. edit
- Marine Tourist Guest House, 118 Lewis Place (1 km from the city center), ☎ +94 715641827, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. A modern guest house with friendly staff, spotless rooms free WiFi and with private balcony. All rooms have spacious private bathrooms and a television refrigertator. 24 hour front desk , pickup from Bandaranaike International Airport. With/without A/C and breakfast Rs3500/4500 Dormitory female only and Mixed with Air conditioning and Hot water per bed Rs.1300 1,500. edit
- Mr Silal Fernando Homestay, Just outside Negombo, ☎ +94 31 2222481. Mr Fernando is an amicable gentleman who runs this small homestay. He offers airport pickups for 800 rupees. Meals available. Sgl 1000, Dbl 1500 With A/C 2500. edit
- Windmill Hotel, (On Beach Rd, close to Topaz Beach Hotel). The rooms here are pretty basic and could be cleaner, but the staff are friendly. As of September 2012 the hotel was halfway through putting in a pool. Family room 4500. edit
- Suriya Arana, 92 Park Lane (One block back from Beach Road, close to shops and restaurants), ☎ +94 71 4151511, . This is a small guesthouse with an apartment, large family room and two double rooms. The rooms are clean, there is WiFi, and the owners are helpful. Meals, tours and airport pickup are available. Prices vary according to season - we had a family room for 5000R (September 2012). edit
- Hostel Negombo Beach, 42, Kannattha Para, (Cemetery Road), ☎ 0312239308, . Amazing new and cheap place with super nice lady, great to meet other travelers, clean toilets, new house, superfast WIFI, free kitchen and very near the beach. Basic meals of fried rice/noodles can be arranged for 200 LKR. There is no sign at the door yet, so you have to check for the house at the number 42 (it's near by Blue Horizon hotel) 1300LKR dorm. (7.232252,79.843032) edit
- Blue Horizon Guest House, 81 Cemetary Road, Kudapaduwa, Negombo, ☎ +94 0312233078, . Clean and comfortable. Rooms have TV and hot water. Free wifi. Free tea and coffee in the lobby. single/double with AC: $33/38.50. edit
- Villa Flywing Guesthouse, 72/A Cemetary Road, ☎ +94 0773455415. New homestay that feels like crashing with messy relatives. Fun vibe. Big sunny rooms with private bathroom (hot water). There is a kitchen that guests can use, as well as free wifi. Call Gayan Randeni for more pricing. Double: $30 (with AC and breakfast). edit
- Hotel Dorset, 70/1A Cemetary Road, Kudapaduwa, Negombo, ☎ +94 031-2237775; +94 072-4747087, . Free wifi. Rooms have private baths with hot water. This guesthouse has a split personality: the rooms vary in quality so ask to see them. There are cheaper rooms available for 1800 LKR but they are damp and dark, whereas the rooms upstairs are bright, sunny, and very clean. Tell Don (the manager) that you got these rates off wikitravel: Single with fan/AC: 2100/2400 LKR; Double with fan/AC: 2200/2500 LKR; Triple: 2400 LKR.. edit
- Sha Residence, 80 Cemetary Road, ☎ +94 077-7488746; +94 077-7205828, . Free Wi-Fi. Rooms have cable TV and private bathrooms with hot water. Clean, bright, and sunny rooms. A friendly manager named Pria. Reception is currently being renovated, but don't let the mess fool you. Single with fan/AC: $10/15 (update March 2014, single w/ fan 2000 LKR). Double with fan/AC: $25/30. Triple with fan/AC: $35/40. Can provide breakfast for an additional $5.. edit
- Parklane55 Apartments, 55, Park Lane, Ettukala (Negombo), ☎ 0094 777 65 66 29, . checkin: 10h. Comfortable Apartments with free WIFI zone in all areas, Flatscreen Satellite TV with international channels, seating area and full equipped kitchen. Beach and international restaurants are in walking distance – just enough laid back for a quiet and relaxed stay. edit
- Parklane88 Apartments, 88, St. Joseph Mawata (Ettukala, Negombo), . Just opposite Parklane55 Apartments. Brandnew (2017) Apartments, big balconies or terraces, breakfast restaurant. You will find comfortable rooms with free WIFI zone in all areas, Flatscreen Satellite TV with international channels, seating area and full equipped kitchen. Beach and international restaurants are in walking distance – just enough laid back for a quiet and relaxed stay. edit
- Jetwing Beach (Jetwing Beach), Porutota Road, Ethukale, Negombo 11500, ☎ 0312 273 500, . The hotel comprises of 75 deluxe rooms and 3 exclusive suites which feature a private balcony or terrace with panoramic views of the Indian Ocean. It is also inclusive of Spa Treatments, 2 Swimming pools, a tennis court and much more. edit
- Jetwing Ayurveda Pavilion, JETWING AYURVEDA PAVILLONS, ETHUKALE, NEGOMBO, SRI LANKA, ☎ +94114709400, . Jetwing Ayurveda is nice and serene hotel, and in close proximity to Negombo. They offer airport pickup, staff is friendly and you really feel at home. prices may vary from LKR25,000 to LKR28,000 full board. edit
- Jetwing Blue, Jetwing Beach, Ethukale, Negombo, Sri Lanka. Quick Links, ☎ +94114709400, . Jetwing Beach is overlooking the beautiful ocean and consists of spa treatments and wellness facilities with luxury rooms. Starting prices for a room go at LKR15000 and can climb to LKR25000 edit
- Jetwing Sea, Jetwing Sea, Palangaturai, Kochchikade, Negombo, Sri Lanka Quick Link, ☎ +94114709400, . Jetwing Sea is located is a beautiful pristine location in front facing the ocean. with wellness seas and many activities to do, their rooms start at 25,000 edit
- Jetwing Lagoon, Jetwing Lagoon, Pamunugama Road, Thalahena, Negombo, Sri Lanka, ☎ +94114709400, . Jetwing lagoon is surrounded by pristine beaches and consists of luxury accommodation. Prices may vary from the standard deluxe room to the bawa suite starting at LKR22000 edit
- Jetwing Thalahena Villas, B425, Negombo, ☎ 0112 345 720, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 12 Noon. The perfect villa in Sri Lanka nestled away from hectic urban life. The two deluxe rooms and one suite at Jetwing Thalahena Villas can accommodate a maximum of eight guests if you wish to book the entire villa for yourselves. $135.00. edit
- Club Hotel Dolphin, Kammala South, Waikkal, Negombo (Located at a distance of 56 kms (90 mins) from the city of Colombo and 20 kms (30 mins) from the Bandaranaike International Airport), ☎ +94 314 877 100, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 12 pm. Club Hotel Dolphin, in Negombo is a family hotel, located minutes away from the international airport. This beachfront property is great for your beach vacation. The hotel features a spa and wellness centre, meeting and event venues, swimming pool, theatre, discotheque, fitness centre, mini library, pool table, badminton, tennis and squash courts, archery and a range of watersports such as kayaking, water aerobics, boat rides, etc. Rates on the official website start at USD 90. (7.2938,79.8396) edit
Airport: Buses leave the main Negombo Bus Stand every 30 mins. The journey costs about 40 LKR. Last bus from Negombo to the airport goes around 18:30. Last bus on sunday laeves at 6:30pm. For further details about bus transportation from Negombo, refer this link. For details about railway services from Negombo, refer SLR Eservices for further information.
Colombo: Buses leave the main Negombo Bus Stand every 30 mins. The journey costs 75 LKR and lasts 30 minutes, depending on the traffic. Also there is a new air conditioned Luxury bus service between Colombo and Negombo which uses the newly built Expressway and it is the fastest way to travel between these two cities. The ticket price for one way journey is Rs 120.
Kandy: Bus leaves the main Bus terminal every 30 min.Journey takes 3-4 hours and cost Rs.200
Sigiriya/polonnaruwa:Bus leaves the main Bus terminal at 14 hours.It reach sigiriya around 18.00 hrs and polonnaruwa around 20.. hrs
Anuradhpura: you get in to the bus at periyam mulla junction bus stop in negombo. Journey take 4-5 hours.
Alternatively you can take A/C bus from Negombo Bus Terminus (small bus, 210LKR, every 30min. starting form 5a.m., journey about 110min., it also stops on bus stops until its full of people) to Kurunegala, then take direct local bus to Anuradhpura (160LKR, journey about 2,5 hour).