Nagaoka (長岡) is a city in Niigata prefecture.
Most visitors arrive at JR Nagaoka station by Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo. The fastest trains take just over 1.5 hours.
- Echigo Hillside National Government Park, 1921 Miyamoto Higashikata-machi, Nagaoka City, . 9:30am-5pm (until 7pm July 1- August 31, until 4:30pm November 1- March 31). Echigo Hillside Park was opened in July 1998 on the Japan Sea coast.The park was built so people could pursue outdoor recreation or cultural activities. It is located on the West side of Nagaoka city on hills ranging from 80~260m above sea level. Adults 400 yen, Children 80 yen. edit
- Niigata Prefectural Museum of History, 2247-2 Gongendo, 1 Sekiharamachi, Nagaoka City, . 9:30am-5pm. The museum introduces Niigata's history and culture through the themes of rice, snow, and the Jomon period. Adults 500 yen, Children 200 yen.. edit
- Nagaoka Festival. This festival takes place on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of August every year.Day one involves a huge street parade and folk dance processions. Day 2 and 3 a stunning fireworks display that takes place over the Shinano River. 650 meter giant sanshakudama fireworks, waterfall and volcano fireworks, and 20,000 smaller shakudama fireworks light up the night sky. edit
- Hotel Route Inn Nagaoka Ekimae, 1-1-5, Jonai-cho, Nagaoka-city, ☎ +81 (0)258-36-2331 (fax: +81 (0)258-36-2339), . 2 minutes walk from Nagaoka Station on JR Shin-Etsu Main Line. Rooms from ¥5,950 single, ¥9,500 double, ¥10,000 twin. edit
- Hotel New Otani Nagaoka, 2-8-35 Dai-machi, Nagaoka-city, ☎ +81 (0)258-37-1212. From JR Nagaoka Station East Exit: 1 min on foot. From Kan-Etsu Expressway Nagaoka IC: (10 km). Rooms with private baths from ¥9,817 single, ¥17,902 double. edit